Heroic 10-pack fail

Comments

• bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I got nine 2*s and a Sentry...
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    3-3s is nothing to sneeze at... that's about average. If memory serves me the odds of getting 1 4star in a 10 pulls is about 40%.... The odds may have changed a bit since I last checked.
  • Khazaq
    Khazaq Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    While the OP did have a fine 10-pack pull, there is an issue of the rng being a little too wobbly.

When cracking a heroic ten pack, there is a 35.6% chance of getting a 3* or a 4*. I would think that the cases of all 2* or only one 3*+ be few and far between.

On average, roughly 2% of the time should a person only pull one. And 1.2% should a person pull none.

But what about the other side? Anyone ever pull six or more from a 10 pack?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heroic Tokens (possibly all) should have Clearance Levels (or SHIELD Rank) attached to them. If your SCL8 (Rank 52) then a 10pk should guarantee at least 1-2 4*'s. We can have increased odds based on your SCL. This would prevent new players from advancing too fast and vets opening 2/3*'s they don't need (champ levels aside) by RNG.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:
    You gotta champ-farm your 2*s. There's no reason not to.

Oh but there is, of course there is a reason, maybe not in the long run, but it is not as simple as you make it sound. You see, iso is not infinite, so as long as it is not, there is a clear reason that may prevent someone from champ-farm 2s (other people might not have enough HP).

As an example, when XP and Ranks were released I decided to champ-farm my 2s, until then I thought the iso cost was not worth championing them, as iso is the most precious resource right now, but with the extra XP you get when farming them I changed my mind. But in all this time I have just managed to start with 3 of them (and 2 of them were 2s I sold to start again). I have all of them covered, just waiting for the 70k iso I need to champ each one of them. You see, the problem is that there is always someone with more priority. A 4 char with a cover that will expire in 13 days, a 3 I got 4 covers, and now some 5 I can bring to an usable level (and that is 450k iso!!!). Rewards are much better in 4 land, then in 3 land then in 2 land, so 2s are the ones with less priority. If I champ my 2s I might not champ a 4, etc, etc. I am close to champ all my 3s, but there are still plenty of 4s I could champ (now I have to add to the list Chulk and Starlord icon_razz.gif).

So yeah, 2s are worth championing, but sometimes you can't.

Yeah, when I wanted to champ peggy, dino and cho (??), I paused on re-champ farming my remaining fully-covered 2*s. But now that I only have falcap and mr f waiting to be champed, I'm fine with champing those 2*s. And in a few days, I'll go back to champing those two 4*s, as well as any others that become fully-covered at this point.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Khazaq wrote:
    On average, roughly 2% of the time should a person only pull one. And 1.2% should a person pull none.
    Woohoo! I'm a finally a one-percenter! Not the good kind, though.

I can't complain though - the 10 pack after I pulled all 2*s was the anniversary pack, and I pulled all 3 hp rewards (4500ish total), and enough Dinos to sell for a bonus 1000hp.

Naturally (and to bring this full circle), I was able to use this abundance of hp to... start working on my 2* farm! I've only got about a dozen newly champed 3*s, but I know it'll pay off in the long run.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Out of my last five season ten-packs, one was nine 2* and a Ragnarok, and another was nine 2* and a Vision. Usually I do better, but those both made me laugh/cry.
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I had 3 4s. I diont know why people want others to know they are failures, but oh well.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I got 4* Deadpol and if it helps, its 6th cover so 1000ISO icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never gotten a Heroic 10 pack. This season I'm actually close enough that I might get there. I'm excited. Even if I get all 2* I plan to have every 2* awaiting farm levels so nothing should go to waste. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heroic Tokens (possibly all) should have Clearance Levels (or SHIELD Rank) attached to them. If your SCL8 (Rank 52) then a 10pk should guarantee at least 1-2 4*'s. We can have increased odds based on your SCL. This would prevent new players from advancing too fast and vets opening 2/3*'s they don't need (champ levels aside) by RNG.

No. This is doubledipping on the SCL concept. Higher SCLs receive larger quantities a/o higher grades of tokens for certain token rewards.

On top of that imagine the resulting hyperdimensional odds charts ... if the devs bothered to publish them ... and the confusion caused for the great mass of players that aren't following the devs or the community.

No it is not double-dipping the SCL concept, it is fully utilizing the SCL concept to reward players based their appropriate SHIELD rank.

While opening 2*'s does not bother me as much since Championing was implemented, at the same time why are we still opening such as high % of 2*'s at Rank 60? While a new player at Rank 10 should not be pulling 4* characters. Many players have skipped entire * tiers based on RNG luck. Token odds for 3/4/5* should increase/decease based on your SHIELD rank. Imagine a world where new players don't worry about pulling 5*'s to affect their scaling or vets pulling 2*'s that does not help them progress

The SCL/Rank concept should also be applied to Deadpool Daily Quest as well.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I guess it’s my fault for getting excited. I thought I was going to get a 4*, but I didn’t realize the odds were so low. The last 3 ten-packs from the last 3 seasons have not given me a single 4*, so I was kind of hoping for one this time.

As for the issue of collecting and champing all 2* characters: I don’t have the roster space. At this point every roster spot costs 1000+ HP. I’m a 3* player and I’m trying to transition to 4* (see my roster in my sig). Right now I’m using new roster spots to roster 4* and 5* characters. I plan on rostering and recycling the remaining 2* after I finish rostering my 4*/5*. Is that wrong?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I opened 100 heroics yesterday from a hoard. 3x10 packs and 70 more. I got two 4*. Both unusable and I only have two champed 4*s. Curse my luck. Peggy blue and Rhulk purple. The only colours on both I have 5 of. But nothing surprises me with my luck. I also drew 25 LT classics and 5 of those where unusable too. I regret not plowing the CP into the one cover I needed for peggy and Rhulk.
  • Right now I’m using new roster spots to roster 4* and 5* characters. I plan on rostering and recycling the remaining 2* after I finish rostering my 4*/5*. Is that wrong?

Assuming you are playing new releases and winning new covers on those, then those will likely continue to eat every slot you can afford, unless you start spending. The release rate is not going to let up—or at least, there is no indication that it will—so the only way to get ahead on slots is to spend.

BUT!

... you don't need additional slots to farm 2*s.

Just save up 2* covers, and standard/elite/heroic tokens for 2 weeks, and then, right before the oldest 2*s in your queues are about to expire, sell the maxchamped 2*s you can start rebuilding from your queue. If you can get your queue mostly cleared, open tokens to refill it and keep working that queue.

I am farming 13 2*s, have flipped them all 4 times, using the same slots.
    This sounds very interesting, but I’m not sure I fully understand. Right now I have 5 maxchamped 2*: Black Widow, Magneto, Ares, Capt.Marvel, and Storm. I use them mainly for DDQ. So are you saying, save up 2 weeks of tokens, then when one of my 5 maxchamped 2* is about to expire in my queue, open all my tokens, sell the maxchamped from my roster and re-roster and re-champ them?
  • Yes, more or less. If you save tokens and covers for a couple weeks, you ought to be able to at least mostly rebuild any or all of the 2s from that hoard. You can do DDQ with incomplete 2*s.

I see you have (had?) 61 covers en queue already.

I also noticed you don't have all the 2*s rostered, so yeah, if you want to far them all that probably means buying slots. You have a good chunk of iso, enough to max 5 2*s. Take the dive!

Before champing the thing to do was to invest as little as possible in the lower tiers, and eventually dump the lower tiers, or not even bother building certain characters in the first place. I had dumped a lot of characters myself. Champing changed that. Now building (and rebuilding!) from the bottom up pays.

I see you're hoarding CPs and hopefully LTs, too. That's good. Being patient isn't much fun, but neither is spending before you really have to.
    Ok so here's what I have in my queue that I could build as a 2* character:

Wolvie 4/3/2
    Daken 5/2/3
    Torch 1/4/4
    Moonstone 2/1/0
    Thor 2/3/0
    Bullseye 1/1/5
    Hawkeye 1/3/2

So as you see I can't champ a character right away, but the closest is Daken with 10 covers, followed by Wolvie and Torch with 9 covers. Should I sell a champmax 2* and roster Daken? Should I sell 2 more champmax 2* and roster Wolvie and Torch too?
  • Should I sell a champmax 2* and roster Daken? Should I sell 2 more champmax 2* and roster Wolvie and Torch too?
    I would say yes ... it'd be better to have a slot for each character, but if you're pinched for slots who knows when that will happen.
    But if I’m to roster every 2*, that means about 6 more slots. That would cost over 6000 HP, which would take a frustrating amount of time to collect. I was hoping my next few roster slots would be for 4* and 5*. Rostering 2* instead seems like going a step backward. I’m trying to get to 4* right? Are the eventual 2* champ rewards really better than trying to fill out my 4* roster immediately?
    In your images you already had 2torch rostered, but maybe that was a placeholder that's already been sold?
    No he’s still there. He’s the required character for the story this week. But you are correct in a sense; his slot is the “required character” placeholder.
    There were also a lot of single-cover 4*s. Might consider sacrificing some of those. They'll be deadweight for a long time. Choices, choices ....
    Well I was rostering what I thought were the best 4*, that way when I get another cover I don’t need to cry when I have to sell it for 1000 ISO. But you may be right, I think I have some single-cover 4* that are only mid-tier, such as Flaptain, Spider-Gwen, Thing, and Carnage. Should I really sell those to make room for a 2*?

I just got 1000 HP, which is just enough for one more roster slot. I was going to start pulling my LT’s and CP’s and see if I can get some good 4* covers to fill out my collection (I have 16 LT’s and 200 CP). I would stop pulling if I pulled a new good 4* (X-force Wolvie, Kate Bishop, Moon Kight? Blade?) or a missing 5* (Black Widow, Green Goblin, or BSS Spidey). But you say I should roster 2* instead...

I don't know what to do....
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    Unfortunately 4* is pretty useless currently, you pretty much only need the top tier ones like Rulk, Iceman, Deadpool, Peggy and so on. The 2* farm on the other hand keeps reaping you rewards over the long term. If your concern is PVE, you pretty much just need to keep hitting the 4* cover rewards to always have a copy of the essential for the next PVE, so you can keep on cycling them instead of rostering everyone. If your concern is getting the LT from DDQ every 5 days, in most cases, you would have needed a lot more covers on that 4*. So yea, you should pretty much sell all the useless 1-3 cover 4* and properly start your 2* and 3* farm.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i've had a 0 gold 10 pack and a 7 gold 10 pack. 3 gold certainly isn't worth making a whiny thread...
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there a guide to setting up a 2* farm? I have a load of one cover 4*s that I really wouldn't mind getting rid of for roster slots, they're actually annoying to look at icon_razz.gif

I've only got two 2*s, OBW maxed and Ares at 117 or so, that I use for DDQ so I'm not sure of the best way to start.

Also, what's the ISO cost of maxing a 2*? I know they start paying for themselves, but it's a massive outlay when I'm trying to keep my decently covered 4*s viable too.
  • Huatimus wrote:
    Unfortunately 4* is pretty useless currently, you pretty much only need the top tier ones like Rulk, Iceman, Deadpool, Peggy and so on. The 2* farm on the other hand keeps reaping you rewards over the long term. If your concern is PVE, you pretty much just need to keep hitting the 4* cover rewards to always have a copy of the essential for the next PVE, so you can keep on cycling them instead of rostering everyone. If your concern is getting the LT from DDQ every 5 days, in most cases, you would have needed a lot more covers on that 4*. So yea, you should pretty much sell all the useless 1-3 cover 4* and properly start your 2* and 3* farm.
    Thanks for the advice. I’ll seriously think on it.
    0. I don't know what to do....
    0. Well I wasn't expecting a conversation, but here we go anyway icon_lol.gif
    I wasn't expecting to end up talking to a hard-core professional for some strategic advice.
    1. But if I’m to roster every 2*, that means about 6 more slots. That would cost over 6000 HP...
    1. Yeah, eventually, if you want to farm all the 2*s. I say you should because they are readily attainable. Trying to skip directly to 4*s is kinda strangling yourself. Those 2* rewards will starting paying out in a couple weeks.
    I really didn’t think the 2* champ rewards were such a big deal. I mean, I know they eventually yield three 3* covers, some HP, CP, and ISO. But I didn’t think that would give me a major boost to 4* land.
    Those 4*s will take years to champ. Sad but true.
    Nooooooo!! Say it ain’t so! Say it ain’t so!

Okay… well how long until a 4* is usable?
    2. I was hoping my next few roster slots would be for 4* and 5*. Rostering 2* instead seems like going a step backward. I’m trying to get to 4* right? Are the eventual 2* champ rewards really better than trying to fill out my 4* roster immediately?
    2. Going backwards? The name of the game is building complete characters. And compounding momentum. You're complaining about being constricted by roster slots, but filling up roster slots with single covers that aren't going to be productive anytime soon!
    That’s new thinking for me. I thought I was done with 2* characters and should use new roster slots for 4* and slowly build those up.
    5. I just got 1000 HP, which is just enough for one more roster slot.
    5. Awesome! How long did that take?
    Average? About 2 weeks, maybe a little more.
    6. I was going to start pulling my LT’s and CP’s and see if I can get some good 4* covers to fill out my collection (I have 16 LT’s and 200 CP). I would stop pulling if I pulled a new good 4* (X-force Wolvie, Kate Bishop, Moon Kight? Blade?) or a missing 5* (Black Widow, Green Goblin, or BSS Spidey). But you say I should roster 2* instead...
    6. icon_eek.gif Please don't ... seriously, please keep saving. You can progress while saving those up. Get yourself 100-200 Latest tokens, around 2,000 CP, and pile up 1-2M iso, in the meantime finish out the 2*s and champ several 3*s, and THEN you can try to make the quantum leap.
    Have mercy. I don’t know if I’ll have the patience to hoard that many tokens.