Poll: Emrakul's Corruption

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ Events
As I've made pretty clear in other posts, I can't stand the appalling drudgery involved in collecting the secondary objectives in Emrakul's Corruption. I'm very much not looking forward to an extra day of slogging through this rubbish again. I pray to god that the event had been made less tedious in some way, maybe by reducing the numbers on the objectives, hint hint. I don't play this game to get RSI!!!!

I haven't really got a clear idea of what everyone else thinks, tho. People's understandable desire to keep their deck tech secret ('Play with From Beyond?? You utter genius.') has stifled debate on the subject of this event, so I thought I'd keep this poll nice and simple and see what kind of numbers come in.

If you're going to comment in this thread, be very careful of saying 'I want the event to last longer!' if you only mean 'I want the opportunity to get all my progression rewards!'.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• newbee1kenobi
    Options
    While deckbuilding is nice .. i feel the secondary are just too anoying to have a deck both fast and fullfilling them. i'd prefer to play more match than to play just a few that last forever.
    I mean .... 3 vampires and 4 eldrazi for secondary as exemple ... you still have to build a deck able to make those ... but wont have to pass several turn doing nothing of interrest just to activate the damn gem to be able to get 1 more vamp in play ...
  • shteev
    Options
    While deckbuilding is nice .. i feel the secondary are just too anoying to have a deck both fast and fullfilling them. i'd prefer to play more match than to play just a few that last forever.

Agreed. I'd actually really like to see what an event which places direct restrictions on deckbuilding, but has no restrictions on gameplay, would be like. Putting bad cards in your deck is one thing, but the downside would be mitigated significantly by 1) only playing against other people's decks with bad cards in them, and 2) not being required to cast them in a game.
  • Pestilence
    Pestilence Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ain't nobody got time for this tinykitty!
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Don't like it = don't play it. More space for those who do.

I do like all the events, especially PvE, I like the challenges of deck building (although a less fiddly editor would be good). And I like the tougher opposition the PvE opponents give. I CBA to use Eldrazi for anything.

Personally I'd like it to last longer so I can complete the progression rewards, life's too full of interesting other things to grind 1 day just for virtual prizes.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Takes too much time to get objectives. Reduce the fights we have to do for this event, or ideally reduce the number of creatures to be cast
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    Well apparently the guy who won made a brag thread so that was pretty hilarious.
    Gotta give it a thumbs up now.

Honestly though, this.
    shteev wrote:
    Agreed. I'd actually really like to see what an event which places direct restrictions on deckbuilding, but has no restrictions on gameplay, would be like. Putting bad cards in your deck is one thing, but the downside would be mitigated significantly by 1) only playing against other people's decks with bad cards in them, and 2) not being required to cast them in a game.
    Let's say an "Eldrazi deck" required 5-6 "Eldrazi cards" (not just Eldrazi creatures) and when you won a game with it, you got 17 badges.
    And let's say if somebody wins on their Gaea's Revenge powerhouse deck, it's only worth 10 badges.
    That means you could potentially lose 2 out of 5 matches on the theme deck and still have a higher score than a 5 for 5 roflstomp deck.
    I think that would encourage people to create theme decks that weren't so tedious.
    Especially if they fix the matchmaking to only include P-Dubs that are currently on nodes.
  • shteev
    Options
    fox1342 wrote:

I do like all the events, especially PvE, I like the challenges of deck building (although a less fiddly editor would be good).

If you don't like the deck builder, don't use it. The fact is that you can play ANY level of the game with the default deck you are given when you buy a planeswalker... the desire to change your deck is a restriction you are placing on yourself. If you're making the game a more miserable experience through your own choices, that's nothing to do with the game itself.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fox1342 wrote:

I do like all the events, especially PvE, I like the challenges of deck building (although a less fiddly editor would be good). And I like the tougher opposition the PvE opponents give. I CBA to use Eldrazi for anything.

Personally I'd like it to last longer so I can complete the progression rewards, life's too full of interesting other things to grind 1 day just for virtual prizes.

I rather liked the length of this Avacyn event -- I got progression very quickly. Clearing two sets of nodes is a bit of a hassle on a Monday morning.

I also like the fact that the Avacyn event gives me the opportunity to build fun and intelligent decks, -- as does **** and the Saheeli events.

EC is different. EC requires you to pretty much wipe your board over and over to meet objectives. I think this is OP's main point.

It's not as much about deckbuilding, most of the people posting here have the cards and the ability to put together decks that meet objectives with little thought-- it's the fact that we have to wipe our creatures every 3 turns to meet those objectives. That will never be fun.
  • yunnnn
    yunnnn Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tilikum wrote:
    Well apparently the guy who won made a brag thread so that was pretty hilarious.

You're welcome icon_e_wink.gif
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    Tilikum wrote:

You gonna post your super secret tech? I know they closed the other thread.
  • Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    I know I'm in the minority of people who enjoyed the event, but it may have just been the novelty of having to use some the eldrazi cards that I never bothered to try out before + the lack of grinding needed (I think shorter events in general would be nice). I'm assuming the one starting tomorrow will be the standard length which is going to make it harder to place high without grinding...I may ask for a re-vote.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    majincob wrote:

Everyone in the forums when our new god dropped those knowledge bombs

His face the whole time
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The last Emrakul's Corruption event was so short that I barely had time to play in it, which I found frustrating.

The objectives were tought but not impossible. I enjoy the deckbuilding aspect of that but I wouldn't mind reducing some of them by 1 or 2. I still don't understand why you can't see the objectives until you've picked your planeswalker. It boggles my mind.

Otherwise, I'll await my judgement for this event until we've been through the second round.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The last Emrakul's Corruption event was so short that I barely had time to play in it, which I found frustrating.

The objectives were tought but not impossible. I enjoy the deckbuilding aspect of that but I wouldn't mind reducing some of them by 1 or 2. I still don't understand why you can't see the objectives until you've picked your planeswalker. It boggles my mind.

Otherwise, I'll await my judgement for this event until we've been through the second round.

Conversely, the objectives were so grindy I didn't do anything BUT play in the event for 24 hours. Definitely going to try to find faster decks that can do the objectives next time, 'cause I can't do 2 days of that.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    majincob wrote:

Conversely, the objectives were so grindy I didn't do anything BUT play in the event for 24 hours. Definitely going to try to find faster decks that can do the objectives next time, 'cause I can't do 2 days of that.
    Yeah, as much as it technically works to cast adverse conditions 8 times with harness the storm to do the objective, and lets me keep the game extremely in control, it does take forever. It's annoying to have to trade power and consistency for speed by adding more objective cards, which is a consequence of the specific high numbered objectives.
  • LeafHyren
    LeafHyren Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Looks like I am in the minority.

Being a strong player and not having all the best cards I like this event as a way to compete at the top level. The top .01% of you can't use those win-in-three-turns kind of decks hehe

Welcome to the event where power meets patience icon_e_wink.gif
  • Tjoffen
    Options
    Didn't like the event at all because of the boring secondary objectives. I believe there is a better way to make people try out different cards.
    Liked the fact that it only lasted 24H (in part because it was too tedious), however I do understand that it can be unfair to some people who can't hit their progression rewards fast enough.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tjoffen wrote:
    ... however I do understand that it can be unfair to some people who can't hit their progression rewards fast enough.

Still not quite understanding this..
    You mean everyone doesn't just hop right in at the bell and grind?

What kind of world are we living in?
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    when it takes you 2 1/2 hours to clear your nodes for the first round there is something wrong.
    its fine adding objectives but if you want us to play with eldrazi/werewolves please design better more playable creatures instead of forcing us to toil for hours, using cards that are sub par.
    its not fun.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    yunnnn wrote:
    Tilikum wrote:

He mentioned BtB. Probably just used cards that could easily cast off of it. Which is the most obvious and logical thing to do if you own BtB.

Also he did not post his final scores. Many people had perfect in those first 15 matches and i think he was in gold.