What do you think of the release of new 3 star characters?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they should make the characters essential more often then?

Right now we have PvE's where we always have one 2, one 3 and one 4 star essential for the entire duration. Why not have a different set every day? This would also mean missing a character isn't as detrimental as it is now, when it's just one node you're missing out of instead of a minimum of 3.

This would destroy new player progression. It's hard enough when you're coming up and you have limited characters to roster. Change it for every sub and it would be a nightmare until you get established. It would also make established players getting at least 1 cover of every new 4* (and new 3*s since that's suddenly a thing again) even more critical. No thanks...
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who will he give when he's champed?

Perhaps this is the first 3* character to provide 5* covers?

If that were the case, I'm guessing he'll see close to 100% champ rate.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

One of the next 10 new 4* characters by year end
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    broll wrote:
    Maybe they should make the characters essential more often then?

Right now we have PvE's where we always have one 2, one 3 and one 4 star essential for the entire duration. Why not have a different set every day? This would also mean missing a character isn't as detrimental as it is now, when it's just one node you're missing out of instead of a minimum of 3.

This would destroy new player progression. It's hard enough when you're coming up and you have limited characters to roster. Change it for every sub and it would be a nightmare until you get established. It would also make established players getting at least 1 cover of every new 4* (and new 3*s since that's suddenly a thing again) even more critical. No thanks...

You're probably right if they keep all other things as is. Which they will because the game is probably some precarious balance that only gets tinkered with if it means more sales.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2016
    I think that's an awesome thing! As I said in the other topic, I prefer chars (3*) that I won't take years to cover (4/5*). I'm a 2+ years casual player, and just finished/maxed my first 4* two months ago... and that's just a lot of time... one the other hand, I have my 35 3*s champed, it was slow too, but easier, and I still uses many of them regularly, having fun and interest on them icon_e_smile.gif , I even mix some 2*s with them on PvE too (non essentials). Now 5*s... they are just a waste of space in my roster... sitting there with 1/2 covers... and I really have no interest or desire in them.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I will roster him, but it might take quite a while until I drop some iso on him.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    3*'s arent locked behind RNG so I might get a decent useable 3* Strange rather than a useless single cover 4* or 5*.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Well that would make up for the broken links in the chain. The new 3* characters will lead to new 4* characters?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    It will be interesting to find out what character is associated with his champ rewards. Maybe he just directly rewards a 5* version of himself, skipping the 4* tier completely! That would be largely in line with how the 4* tier has worked over the past year. :p

Also will be weird for DDQ to have 41 3*s. I guess maybe they'll just release 5 more and put them all together at the end of the current cycle? Or just exclude them from DDQ entirely...

I don't really mind the idea of more 3* characters, in theory. I've refrained from trying to push my roster into 4* land so a new 3* would be usable for me, and I don't mind the idea of having another character I can champ without screwing up my scaling. That said, I recognize that most people have either already moved past the point where they care, or else they plan to, so new 3*s don't ultimately change very much to the actual gameplay.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler

Gwenpool?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as 3* are featured in most season PvP there is a big reason to have them all and have them all champed. Anything less and you are just fodder in PvP.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    The Herald wrote:
    I've said this elsewhere, but the game can go upwards or sideways.

5* bloat followed by 6*s, or expand the foundations first.

They still need to come up with ways for people to use them, and better targeted distribution to deal with dilution, but I would rather it didn't become a top heavy whale-a-thon.

The problem with building tiers out is that the marginal value decreases as the tier grows. This game doesnt have enoigh gameplay variety. All-around fast hitters almost always dominate. So once olayers have the vest characters, even good new releases offer relatively little reward.

That is why power creep and new tiers happen: they are the best way to keep vets chasing new characters.

So for me a 3* strange offers very little. He might be fun and enjoyable. But unless he is an awesome battery on im40 tier, i doubt i will ever use him (except when essential).

Additionally, they actually shot themselves in the feet here by introducing the champion system to the game. In the past, a new 3* could still add something to the game if they were at least as good as an existing 3*. Now, until you get him to be max championed, another older 3* will always be stronger. Who would you rather use, a level 166 3* Strange, or a level 210 3* Deadpool? The same issue happens with 4 stars as well. Previously, a new character still had a chance of being useful once it caught up to other characters from the same tier. Now it not only needs to become fully covered, it also needs to catch up in champion levels, which is almost impossible without them intentionally giving out only rewards for that specific character for a while to help it catch up.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    I would like to see more 1*s, 2*s and 3*s.. those who don't, don't roster them...

would just be nice opening a (easily and often acquired) standard token and seeing a fresh new character every so often even if its a 1 or 2 star...

remember how excited everybody was when they announced the 1* Spidey and 2* Cyclops?
  • Calnexin
    notamutant wrote:
    Additionally, they actually shot themselves in the feet here by introducing the champion system to the game. In the past, a new 3* could still add something to the game if they were at least as good as an existing 3*. Now, until you get him to be max championed, another older 3* will always be stronger..

I don't think the relative strength matters. Within a few months it'll be a moot point. A few days for whales, maybe. But there's something there re: shooting themselves in the foot, and closely related to what you're describing.

My fear - that they're going to throw off balance. The 3* tier was done. They and we had a pretty good read on who the good characters are and who the bad ones were. There've been a few changes to rebalance, but overall the 3* tier was well known. 2* rosters knew what to aim for. 4* rosters knew who to pick to boost their preferred team.

New 3*, if it's more than just one, will throw that all out of whack. Particularly with a character like Dr. Strange. If they do him any justice he'll use the newer mechanics of 4-5* characters that are rare or absent from the 3* tier.

In fairness, I'm not all that worried about power creep. The newer characters tend to be interesting, but based on what I've seen in PvP the old standards dominate. They seem to have a good handle on that aspect. I just worry that building in more 3* characters is going to upset the balance, and then they'll have to waste more time rebalancing instead of creating new content.
  • Calnexin
    2* Cyclops?

Eh?!?!?!? There's a 2* Cyclops coming?

I like new characters, but many of us are at the 1k/slot level. I've just about burned through my reserve and am going to have to start saving again. 1* are pointless. I won't use them unless they ramp up the difficulty on the DDQ node. 2* are pointless except for farming, which I would probably do. 3* are pointless unless they can boost 4*. It's just another thing to manage. I'd be happy to do that if they're interesting to play with, provide the aforementioned boost, or provide excellent champ rewards. Otherwise it's just 10 daily deals I won't cash in for a character I'll never use.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Calnexin wrote:
    2* Cyclops?

Eh?!?!?!? There's a 2* Cyclops coming?

2* cyclops was never announced. Was in the game files in the spring of 2015. Was apparently aborted, or a misdirection.

What do I think about new 3*s? New fonts of champ rewards, yay!

I'm so far down the slippery slope of sunk costs, 3*s seem dirt cheap to me now. Bring'em on, make it rain.

Also, being Doc Strange really helps. I'd still build any new 3*, but it wouldn't be so welcome if it was a 3* Paste-pot Pete or Whirlwind or Whizzer or .... blahblahblah.

It was actually announced in the old spoiler thread.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Fact: New characters need to be pumped out continuously as it seems to be the primary source of revenue to keep MPQ alive.
    Player Fact: Players have been frustrated with the rate of 4*'s and 5* releases.
    Conclusion: 3* is less ISO to champion and it fulfills the need to launch new characters. Sounds pretty good to me.

One interesting thing to note is that D3 can push the boundaries of 3* characters releases now that we have 5* tier in the game. Look at IM40's buff and tell me that would make a balanced character back when we only had 3* tier gameplay. There's just no way. Yet in the current state of the game IM40 is allowed to exist because higher tiers negate how blatantly overpowered his yellow skill is for the cost.

3* Strange can push the limits for the same reasons and be designed as someone whose potentially desirable for 4* tier or maybe even 5* tier players in PvE.

If he's made into just another generic damage dealer like Psylocke then that's clearly a wasted effort IMO.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    So babinro's bottom line is: embrace the power creep!

Thats probably the only way i will pay attention ti 3* strange.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    Additionally, they actually shot themselves in the feet here by introducing the champion system to the game. In the past, a new 3* could still add something to the game if they were at least as good as an existing 3*. Now, until you get him to be max championed, another older 3* will always be stronger..

I don't think the relative strength matters. Within a few months it'll be a moot point. A few days for whales, maybe. But there's something there re: shooting themselves in the foot, and closely related to what you're describing.

My fear - that they're going to throw off balance. The 3* tier was done. They and we had a pretty good read on who the good characters are and who the bad ones were. There've been a few changes to rebalance, but overall the 3* tier was well known. 2* rosters knew what to aim for. 4* rosters knew who to pick to boost their preferred team.

New 3*, if it's more than just one, will throw that all out of whack. Particularly with a character like Dr. Strange. If they do him any justice he'll use the newer mechanics of 4-5* characters that are rare or absent from the 3* tier.

In fairness, I'm not all that worried about power creep. The newer characters tend to be interesting, but based on what I've seen in PvP the old standards dominate. They seem to have a good handle on that aspect. I just worry that building in more 3* characters is going to upset the balance, and then they'll have to waste more time rebalancing instead of creating new content.

I think relative strength actially matters more as your roster gets stronger. Champ levels are exponential. The difference between a 150 3* and 166 3* is neglible. But the difference between a 270 4* and a 285 4* is meaningful (especially when boosted). From what i hear that gap is even bigger with 5*s, so much so that a 450 5* is only barely comparable to a 465 5*.

So i think mutant's point is most vets now have at least their top group of 3* chps up near 200. Strange will have a very hard time catching up.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    I would like to see more 1*s, 2*s and 3*s.. those who don't, don't roster them...

would just be nice opening a (easily and often acquired) standard token and seeing a fresh new character every so often even if its a 1 or 2 star...

remember how excited everybody was when they announced the 1* Spidey and 2* Cyclops?
    At the very least even if nobody uses new 1*s and 2*s it would give the game more options and variety to fight against.