What do you think of the release of new 3 star characters?

Berserk_Al
Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
It seems a new 3 star Doctor Strange is coming. We still don't know its colors or powers or what rewards it could give as a champion, but it could be the start of a new wave of 3 star characters coming up, even if not as fast as a year and half ago.

So, do think you will be rostering new 3 star characters, now that we have two tiers on top of them? Not only Doctor Strange, but any other 3 star or lower character that could be released in the future.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    More 3 stars is ok, íf, and only íf, they create competitive modes where you're only allowed to use 3 stars, and they reduce the price of roster slots.

Otherwise it's just roster bloat.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Except for Bagman, I have every 2, 3, 4, 5 ☆ character rostered. No reason to skip a new 3☆
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a desperate attempt to keep the game alive for the "non-veteran" players. I guess they will give it to top250 in CL7. Anyway - I will roster one, cover one and eventually champion it.

What we really need is double-iso permanently plus reward restructuring. Today a newcomer needs good 6 months to start the 4* transition (by that I mean having some decent 3* championed). And this is an active player in a good top250-top100 alliance. It should be something like 3 months max. The sheer amount of 4* and 5* after that can be discouraging to anybody and the progression in 4* tier is so much slower. And without the new players the game will die sooner than later.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    The question is what do you think, where as the answers in the poll answer the what will you do. Those two aren't necisarrily the same.

I'm not a big fan of them adding new 3*s. I'm just finally getting to the point where I have every 3* max covered and champed, I really don't want the hamster wheel to get bigger before I graduate to 4*.

That being said my OCD will force me to get them.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is likely due to Dr. Strange also releasing as a 5*. With his movie coming out, they want his character to be accessible to most players so that's probably why we're also getting a 3* version. I'm curious if the 3* and 5* will have the same power set or if they are completely different. Surprised they did not just release a new 4* for the movie release and simply release a 5* version at a later time but this will be interesting.

I just hope the 3* is a colorset we do not have in 3* land such Yellow, Black, Purple
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    It's a desperate attempt to keep the game alive for the "non-veteran" players. I guess they will give it to top250 in CL7. Anyway - I will roster one, cover one and eventually champion it.

What we really need is double-iso permanently plus reward restructuring. Today a newcomer needs good 6 months to start the 4* transition (by that I mean having some decent 3* championed). And this is an active player in a good top250-top100 alliance. It should be something like 3 months max. The sheer amount of 4* and 5* after that can be discouraging to anybody and the progression in 4* tier is so much slower. And without the new players the game will die sooner than later.

For reference I'm a new player at almost exactly 6 months. I have 32 out of 40 3* champs highest 4* covers is 10. I'm close to transitioning into 4*. I'm not in a top alliance by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm very active.

That being said I personally think the 6 month time is perfectly acceptable. The real problem for new players is how to keep them from/tell them not to get / level 4* and 5* characters before their roster can reasonably support them.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where's the only sensible option of "I'll roster it because it'll be required for PVE and PVP"?

I'll roster him and champ him, then continue to ignore him unless forced to use him.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Where's the only sensible option of "I'll roster it because it'll be required for PVE and PVP"?

I'll roster him and champ him, then continue to ignore him unless forced to use him.
    What grumpycat said. 3* are mostly useless except when required by a PVP or PVE. Otherwise there is no need to use them.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I think the poll is a bit misleading. "Will I roster them?" The answer to that is always the same answer to the question, "Are they required for nodes on PvE and featured in PvP, providing a big advantage over the loaner?" Yeah, I probably need to if I don't want to be locked out.

This is significantly different than asking, "Do I enjoy rostering new 3*s in a 5* meta, where even if they had been released a year ago, they would have been irrelevant aside from featured PvP and required nodes?". The answer there is unequivocally, "No!"
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't need new 3*s, but I'll roster and champ them like all other characters. I won't spend money, but I'm sure I'll get enough covers in time.
  • Where did this information come from? Last official word I saw was no more 3 stars ever...
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Triharda wrote:
    Where did this information come from? Last official word I saw was no more 3 stars ever...
    Dr. Strange as both a 3* and 5* confirmed at NYCC.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I'm a collector, if they release it I will roster it.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I still use 3* for PVE and for shield simulator PVP. I don't mind letting them heal for a few hours instead of using up health packs for my stronger teams. I would welcome new 3* characters for the eventual champ rewards and the collector aspect at least. New 4* are always fun to get but the Blade announcement barely got me excited since Gwenpool and Powerman seem so recent. Would help if the roster slot prices were lowered
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I've said this elsewhere, but the game can go upwards or sideways.

5* bloat followed by 6*s, or expand the foundations first.

They still need to come up with ways for people to use them, and better targeted distribution to deal with dilution, but I would rather it didn't become a top heavy whale-a-thon.
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Who will he give when he's champed?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:
    I've said this elsewhere, but the game can go upwards or sideways.

5* bloat followed by 6*s, or expand the foundations first.

They still need to come up with ways for people to use them, and better targeted distribution to deal with dilution, but I would rather it didn't become a top heavy whale-a-thon.

The problem with building tiers out is that the marginal value decreases as the tier grows. This game doesnt have enoigh gameplay variety. All-around fast hitters almost always dominate. So once olayers have the vest characters, even good new releases offer relatively little reward.

That is why power creep and new tiers happen: they are the best way to keep vets chasing new characters.

So for me a 3* strange offers very little. He might be fun and enjoyable. But unless he is an awesome battery on im40 tier, i doubt i will ever use him (except when essential).
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll roster him, since he'll be required for something along the way, but he won't get any iso, and since RNG has determined that with 40 other characters to share space with, it'll completely rely on the DDQ cycle to provide covers for him. That's a long, long wait (I remember Iron Fist going through a similar wait).

And unless he's a battery of some sort, he'll be resigned to only ever being used for essentials.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Maybe they should make the characters essential more often then?

Right now we have PvE's where we always have one 2, one 3 and one 4 star essential for the entire duration. Why not have a different set every day? This would also mean missing a character isn't as detrimental as it is now, when it's just one node you're missing out of instead of a minimum of 3.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    It would be REALLY helpful if there was a token that would guarantee at least a 3*. You have a Legendary for 4s and Elite and Heroic for 2s and nothing in between.