MPQ At Marvel.com: 4-Star Blade For Halloween

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
MPQ fans,

Revealed at Marvel.com moments ago - a brand new 4-Star Blade is arriving in Marvel Puzzle Quest - just in time for Halloween!

MPQ producer, Josh Austin provides first details and preview screenshots for the Daywalker's new variation.

You can READ IT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: BLADE
Quote:
"Marvel.com: Alright let’s get our fangs dirty, what can Blade (Modern) do?

Josh Austin: Blade (Modern)’s first power is The Hunger, a Passive ability which means it costs 0 AP! Blade resists his thirst for blood. If there are 10 or more red tiles on the board, Blade steels his resolve and converts a random basic tile to a strength 37 Strike tile at the beginning of the turn. When Blade’s team reaches nine or more Red AP, this power transforms into The Bloodlust.
"

Comments

• shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Sounds cool, though that power sounds like it could have worked with Morbius instead of another dupe.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    not a huge fan of Blade, is a MArvel product I guess but doesn't really fit the universe

I do like the icon though icon_e_wink.gif
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 wrote:
    not a huge fan of Blade, is a MArvel product I guess but doesn't really fit the universe

Is blade worse than Dinosaur and Living tree with speaking racoon? I think he fits pretty well.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black seems oddly expensive for its effect. She Hulk already destroys ALL AP for 6 green. The conditional tile conversion shouldn't justify turning it up to 11 when it doesn't even destroy as much AP.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Marvel.com: And when do we get to play him?

Josh Austin: Blade is available starting on October 20 and will be earnable in The Hunt

Ugh I hate The Hunt.. and I hope they fix the SHIELD CL issue with new releases because I would like to have an Iceman cover along with much needed additional Iso

At least Blade looks to be a cool useful character that I'll never have covered icon_lol.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    So... Gems... just a name-change or an actual functional change? It appears to be just a name-change, but I'm holding out hope for something more!!
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Meh...hate to be this guy, but he's just another 4*...potentially good when boosted, never used otherwise, and forced to languish on one's roster until RNG is kind enough to pony up his covers...acquiring him won't be high on my list of priorities I fear. I'm more interested to learn if we'll be having Shield Clearance Levels for The Hunt and the PvE following it, or if since its a "new" cover we'll be back to playing for lesser overall rewards for 2 weeks...
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    zodiac339 wrote:
    Black seems oddly expensive for its effect. She Hulk already destroys ALL AP for 6 green. The conditional tile conversion shouldn't justify turning it up to 11 when it doesn't even destroy as much AP.

I think power descriptions are at 1 cover. Got to see what it does fully covered before we can really tell if it's expensive.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They definitely are, the screenshots include one where you can see the power at one cover and its description lists 4 AP/2 tiles.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 wrote:

I think power descriptions are at 1 cover. Got to see what it does fully covered before we can really tell if it's expensive.
    I hope it shows justification later on. Going from a Rare that destroy a random AP pool entirely for 6 green at rank one to a Legendary that destroys 4 in a specific pool and only makes red tiles when a (yes, relatively simple) condition is met for 5 more black looks hard to justify. The preview shows that rank 2 just adds an extra tile when the condition is met. Definitely need to see what the later ranks offer.
    The green at rank three can be more favorably compared to She Hulk as an AOE for the same cost and similar damage at rank 3, and doing more at rank 4, with a decent conditional heal.
  • Brett572
    Brett572 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Does this mean that The Hunt will not have SCLs? If so we all just missed out on an Iceman in the progression rewards. What a bunch of tinnykitty.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Now for the Million dollar question- Will we have SCL for the hunt and the pve after?
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2016
    veny wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:

Is blade worse than Dinosaur and Living tree with speaking racoon? I think he fits pretty well.
    My thoughts as well; if we can have a talking raccoon then we can have a half-vampire. And I'm obviously a Blade fan. icon_e_smile.gif
    zodiac339 wrote:
    Well, She-Hulk destroys a random color's AP. You have no control over which color. This is the enemy's strongest color (which can be helpful, but sometimes isn't).

I'll reserve my judgment until we see the power at 5 covers; it could destroy more than one color, it could add a whole lot more red tiles. But a better comparison than She-Hulk would be Kingpin's purple... at 1 cover for 8 AP you reduce the enemy's strongest color by 4 and generate 4 yellow AP. That's a full 3-match cheaper than this black, but I guess the argument/thinking may be as it creates more red tiles at higher levels you're randomly making matches and creating damage that way?

Edit: it could also cost less AP with more covers. Not unprecedented (see IM40).
    Ugh a 5-day event for a new character... I hate The Hunt
    The Hunt is 4 days; there are no 5-day events in MPQ. So, you're welcome, you just got a day back!
  • zodiac339
    Brett572 wrote:
    Does this mean that The Hunt will not have SCLs? If so we all just missed out on an Iceman in the progression rewards. What a bunch of tinnykitty.
    Aw dangit! And I wasn't worried about dropping out of top ten since a single blue or green from SCL progress would get me to 13 covers.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    The movie is a little over two weeks away....where is Dr. Strange?
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    If the new release pattern holds, this means:

We got 4 days (including one 48-hour sub) of SCL following possibly the single worst event ever.

Immediately following this, we'll get a five-day event, the Hunt, that will have no SCL as a new release. The following event, presumably a Heroic with 4* Blade as an essential, will also have no SCL.

We'll get another event, maybe two, with SCL, lasting about a week.

Then Strange.

That's a whole lot of time with no SCL. The single saving grace of the other two or three SCL-less weeks will have been the double ISO whose glow is starting to fade quickly.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:

You can see from one of the images that at 2 covers it creates 3 red tiles. My guess is that this will spam a lot of red at 5 covers and maybe also destroy more AP. If it doesn't he is clearly 5/5/3.
  • Brett572
    Brett572 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    zodiac339 wrote:
    Brett572 wrote:
    Aw dangit! And I wasn't worried about dropping out of top ten since a single blue or green from SCL progress would get me to 13 covers.

Me too!!! I'm also at 12/13 covers. Maybe they'll actually make a shift to SCLs permanently.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I'm starting to REALLY hate release events, especially this most recent one. T100 earn the new character, 100-200 get ONE cover of the essential 3 for the next event, and then the next event usually doesn't have clearance, so you only earn 1 cover from progression instead of 2. I REALLY need Cyk3 covers, but the only way to earn one on the GwenPool release was tank and not get her, which leaves you S-O-L if you wanted to place well in the next event.

Even if you earn the new character, you'll get 4 covers at the absolute most for placing well (which by definition is not going to be the vast majority of us) and with those you won't get much mileage out of the character when their essential nodes scale up. The only way to get more covers is get extremely lucky in the event vault, burn CP if you ever got the cover in the first place, or have a good enough roster to take #1 in a PVP, or reach 1000 if they're offered in PVP (which again, by definition will only be a select few of us). MAYBE they'll be the next reward in Shield SIM, but we've still got GwenPool to be a shield SIM reward before Blade would. Add to that the fact that there isn't going to EVER be champion reward track to get these people if they're not going to make new 3-stars. We've got 40 3-stars, and Blade is about to be the 41st 4-star.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aidonis wrote:
    The movie is a little over two weeks away....where is Dr. Strange?

Two possibilities:

1) "Two weeks away" means just in time for the next character release on the two-week cycle!

2) He'll be a 5* (there hasn't been one for a good while, by D3 standards) and thus doesn't have to follow the usual schedule.