Next Season Updates: Gems, Star-Lord & Champion Rewards

Options

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll wrote:
    I'm sure someone already brought this up, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around something:

They say they're done releasing 3 stars right? There are 40 3-stars currently, and after GwenPool there are now 40 4-stars as well. Not all the 4 stars that don't have a champion track are new.

No Dance Partners:

Wasp, Spider-Woman, Nova, Gwen Pool, Howard, Spider-Gwen, Devil Dino

Sharing a Dance Partner:

Vision (Cyk3 makes more sense for 4Cyke)
    Colossus (Patch makes more sense for XFW)
    KK (Storm slightly makes more sense for Th4r)
    She-Hulk (Hulk makes more sense for Cho)
    Ragnarok (Dak3n makes more sense for X23)
    Psylocke (Deadpool makes more sense for XDP)
    Blade (Hood fits better with Ghost Rider)

Not that these characters align perfectly with each other, because they don't, but its still better to have SOME kind of way of earning these characters. Ideally, you shouldn't have significantly more trouble earning one character over another of the same rarity-class. But still, these changes are definitely welcome.

I suspect this is what they are going for. My gut feeling is they may not have changed these ones because they have more 4*s coming to work with these. I don't think they are stopping 4* and we recently heard that there will be a 3* Dr. Strange. So we might seeing them trying to release a 3* with every 4* to keep this more in balance.

Just a guess.

EDIT: Speak of the Devil. With the announcement of 4* Blade (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53547) 3* Blade suddenly has a logical 'dance partner'

And more 2* since only a fraction of 3* are seeing covers fed via the 2* champions, right? No? Damn.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Seven wrote:
    I would have done things differently. I would have maintained a one to one pairing of 3 star to 4 star at the beginning and added placeholders in the form of LTs to the remainder. Then, I would have announced on day one of championing that those LTs would be replaced with 4 star covers as new four stars were released.

But, hey, why do things with foresight and planning when you can arbitrarily change things without warning at a later date after everyone is invested in the way things are. It’s much funner that way. icon_rolleyes.gif

Pre-announced or not, I'm trying to imagine the outrage if this change was replacing a bunch of LTs (so 15% 5*) w/ a Drax or eventually Wasp reward. I'm thinking double. Maybe triple.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    broll wrote:
    I'm sure someone already brought this up, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around something:

They say they're done releasing 3 stars right? There are 40 3-stars currently, and after GwenPool there are now 40 4-stars as well. Not all the 4 stars that don't have a champion track are new.

No Dance Partners:

Sharing a Dance Partner:

Not that these characters align perfectly with each other, because they don't, but its still better to have SOME kind of way of earning these characters. Ideally, you shouldn't have significantly more trouble earning one character over another of the same rarity-class. But still, these changes are definitely welcome.

I suspect this is what they are going for. My gut feeling is they may not have changed these ones because they have more 4*s coming to work with these. I don't think they are stopping 4* and we recently heard that there will be a 3* Dr. Strange. So we might seeing them trying to release a 3* with every 4* to keep this more in balance.

Just a guess.

EDIT: Speak of the Devil. With the announcement of 4* Blade (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53547) 3* Blade suddenly has a logical 'dance partner'

And more 2* since only a fraction of 3* are seeing covers fed via the 2* champions, right? No? Damn.

Haha a part of me wouldn't be opposed to that, some 3* covers are just practically impossible to get without a LOT of luck. The development of my Cyk3 and Doc Ock are abysmal compared to someone like IM40 or GSBW for example. Hearing that Dr. Strange is supposed to be a 3* is def a surprise though, I would have expected 5* based on how iconic he is.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Any chance we can get seasons cut down to 10 days permanently?
    The mini and anniversary seasons were perfect
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    broll wrote:

No Dance Partners:

Sharing a Dance Partner:

Just a guess.

Haha a part of me wouldn't be opposed to that, some 3* covers are just practically impossible to get without a LOT of luck. The development of my Cyk3 and Doc Ock are abysmal compared to someone like IM40 or GSBW for example. Hearing that Dr. Strange is supposed to be a 3* is def a surprise though, I would have expected 5* based on how iconic he is.

He's gonna be both, from what I understand -3* and 5* variants.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Groooaaaaan.
    Literally the only 3* I haven't levelled past 183 is Spider Man and that's only because I don't need a Miles Morales purple yet...hoping to get a red or yellow for him within 3 weeks so I can use the cover I have in reserve.

Most of the characters listed are so far past 183 though, I can't really say "I wish I'd known about this 2 weeks ago" because some went past 183 two or more months ago. It's good for the people still building I suppose. Woulda been nice to get a free Peggy cover from Captain Marvel though...and to not have had to chuck the Elektra cover from Punisher away.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Sleight of Hand - 10 AP
    Turns 1-3 selected non-Countdown tiles into 3-turn Countdown tiles which deal damage to the target.
    Upgrades include targeting Countdown tiles as well as dealing team damage when the Countdowns expire.

Everyone With Me - Passive
    Whenever an enemy fires a power, place a Countdown tile that gains AP in a random color. While at least one of these tiles is on the board, friendly powers have their AP costs reduced.
    Upgrades include more AP colors, More AP returned, and higher AP-cost reduction.
    There can only be 4 of these friendly Countdown tiles at any one point.

Oldest Trick in the Book - 8 AP
    Deals damage plus additional damage for every friendly Countdown tile.
    Up to 6 Countdown Tiles.
    It suddenly occurs to me, this could have been great against Boss Green Goblin. Overwrite three countdowns at higher ranks, and maybe even let them get fortified first before the overwrite. Paired with Kingpin, put out 7 Maggia Pawns before Oldest Trick goes off (though who knows how much damage it actually does). Also able to get rid of Your World is Doomed, but really, you just need to end Surfer fast, which he isn't as good at.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wonko33 wrote:
    A bit annoyed Quicksilver is being changed. I'm at 181 with him with a green Iceman 2 levels away. I need that for 5! icon_e_sad.gif

same here im close on iceman but now hies going to give me a cover fro someone I won't fully cover for more than a year icon_e_smile.gif

Such are the breaks, some of them I am happy though , I don't remember which one was supposed to give me Elektra but now will something useful

Of course, it does work both ways. I have Capt Marvel at 182 and would have got a useless Thing red with the next cover (Thing is already maxed), and now I'll get a useful Peggy cover instead. However, Iceman is a beast and I wanted that final green so bad!
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There's a lot of give and take here, but I think the important thing is implementing a stable game overall.

From there HOPEFULLY there's a plan to progress it further.

Is Blade 40, or 41, out of the expected 42?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Herald wrote:
    There's a lot of give and take here, but I think the important thing is implementing a stable game overall.

From there HOPEFULLY there's a plan to progress it further.

Is Blade 40, or 41, out of the expected 42?

Unless my count is wrong he's 41, but depending on if people count Devil Dino, Howard, and Gwenpool they may come up with different numbers. Also I doesn't expect the popular opinion that they will stop anytime soon is correct. They announced a new 3* recently, which I don't think anyone expected. I think they are going to start growing 3* and 4* in parallel once they reach that number.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prediction for the cover order for peggy carter covers, my 3* is past 183 so the first free cover will be peggy yellow. icon_e_sad.gif
  • zodiac339
    Options
    "We felt that rebuilding Captain Marvel would be a fun challenge for players who were looking to build up Peggy Carter before she's rebalanced."
  • max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    Hopefully they will post the new Star Lord stats soon, I understand why they are making the changes but for 3 stars I got specifically for who their championing rewards would give me this is kind of annoying, Star lord changes look positive though, the devil is in the details.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    max5esq wrote:
    Hopefully they will post the new Star Lord stats soon, I understand why they are making the changes but for 3 stars I got specifically for who their championing rewards would give me this is kind of annoying, Star lord changes look positive though, the devil is in the details.
    Whatever the changes, I am sure it is an improvement over the current one.
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In the help section in mpq under news,they have a screen shot of what his powers look like at 5 covers.
  • zodiac339
    Options
    Quest34 wrote:
    In the help section in mpq under news,they have a screen shot of what his powers look like at 5 covers.
    Here: https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/mar ... -2016&l=en
    Purple damage underwhelming. 1500 to enemy team and 4500 to target (if all three finish) for 10 purpletile.png . The utility is okay, being able to select the tiles to get rid of. Go 5 purple against minions and 5 red for PVP. Or use Teen Jean instead and take out 6 [random] enemy tiles. Too bad he and Xpool share red and purple. A single Countdown for What (rank 5) gives maximum boost to Oldest Trick in the Book.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    Character Updates:

With the upcoming Power Gem Season, we will be updating the powers to Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw). We've given his powers some more utility while keeping his Countdown tile-based kit, helping him be a better teammate to his fellow Guardians (or anyone else you'd like to pair him with!)

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE don't make his yellow play an animation every time it goes off. This is bad enough with Carnage or Power man (good fix there at least) vs goons, we don't need more of this!
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Captain Marvel (Modern) -> Peggy Carter (Captain America)
    Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) -> Kate Bishop (Hawkeye)
    Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) -> Luke Cage (Power Man)
    The Punisher (Dark Reign) -> The Punisher (MAX)
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) -> War Machine (James Rhodes)
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) -> Drax (The Destroyer)
    Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) -> Quake (Daisy Johnson)
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) -> Moon Knight (Marc Spector)
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) -> Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes)

And Ant-Man is the champion of........????????? icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    zodiac339 wrote:
    "We felt that rebuilding Captain Marvel would be a fun challenge for players who were looking to build up Peggy Carter before she's rebalanced."

It's all in the small print right.....!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    azmadu wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Captain Marvel (Modern) -> Peggy Carter (Captain America)
    Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) -> Kate Bishop (Hawkeye)
    Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) -> Luke Cage (Power Man)
    The Punisher (Dark Reign) -> The Punisher (MAX)
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) -> War Machine (James Rhodes)
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) -> Drax (The Destroyer)
    Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) -> Quake (Daisy Johnson)
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) -> Moon Knight (Marc Spector)
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) -> Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes)

And Ant-Man is the champion of........????????? icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Squirrel Girl gives Antman covers.