Will we get a redname comment on boss rush today?

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not gonna be popular around here but....

Who gives a ****?

I quit boss rush after I got the first Peggy cover,.needed the others but whatever. Don't give them money, I haven't in 800 some days.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Well, something like: "we have heard your complaints and are sorry that a lot of you didnt enjoy boss rush as much as we expected. Looking at our data, we have noticed a substantially lower success rate that we anticipated, for both veterans and newer players. In fact, only X% of players beat all 3 waves in round 8 at least once... In light of the fact that so many of you had a bad experience, we are going to award everyone who played at least 1 match in boss rush Y compensation. Thanks for playing and providing us with so much useful feedback!"

Not perfect, but that would be a decent start.

I think it's appropriate to give rewards when something breaks or impairs service (incorrect Boss node points are a good example), but just having a bad time or poorly constructed, difficult event that affects everyone equally shouldn't be grounds for automatic compensation.

Many posters wrote once they had a few playthroughs of Boss Rush, they knew what they were gonna be subjected to and chose to stick it out or find better investments of their time (in and out of MPQ). In addition to principle reasons, flooding the game with extra ISO/CP/HP/covers/tokens just ends up with giving folks higher scaling or makes a few players winners via RNG. That really shows d3 not to mess with us.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Have no idea why this thread exists much less why it is a poll; does the OP believe forum polls are magic?

Anyway, voted 'yes' because there is no date in the question. Therefore any day will do. So long as an admin mentions boss rush any day in the future, the condition is satisfied.

Maybe today will be the day!
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    So long as an admin mentions boss rush any day in the future, the condition is satisfied.

outlook-not-so-good-8ball-256x192.jpg
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Time to double down...
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    there is no date in the question.

Not to be "that guy," but the OP is date stamped October 17, so yeah, there kinda is.
  • Got the first cover and quit to go watch room-temp water evaporate, it was a much more satisfying experience. I highly recommend it for when they run Boss Flush again during Thanksgiving lmao.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Second run will be much more user friendly. Most of the players will actually be able to reach/complete round 8... for the third Invisible Woman/Mr Fanstastic cover.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    So long as an admin mentions boss rush any day in the future, the condition is satisfied.

outlook-not-so-good-8ball-256x192.jpg

Fight you think they'll never mention Boss Rush again? Just slide it down the memory hole? icon_lol.gif

Nah, they got to get their money's worth. They'll declare the incorporation of individual scaling into a boss fight a success, make some difficulty tweaks, hopefully restore the locked alliance aspect (not sure why they dropped it .... doing so seems to be more harm than benefit), and run it again in 1-3 months.

Every boss fight in the past got a double initial run, and a run a couple months later. Looking forward to it. Maybe. Kinda. Sorta.
  • Fightmastermpq

outlook not so good.jpg

Fight you think they'll never mention Boss Rush again? Just slide it down the memory hole? icon_lol.gif

Nah, they got to get their money's worth. They'll declare the incorporation of individual scaling into a boss fight a success, make some difficulty tweaks, hopefully restore the locked alliance aspect (not sure why they dropped it .... doing so seems to be more harm than benefit), and run it again in 1-3 months.

Every boss fight in the past got a double initial run, and a run a couple months later. Looking forward to it. Maybe. Kinda. Sorta.
    I'm just disappointed, and I don't know why my expectations were as high as they were. With the first run of Galactus they had a response out I think immediately? This seems to have been even a bigger failure, and warranted more of a response than "we are looking at it, but don't care enough to invest any time in it (or you) right now."

Also, for some reason I was thinking the event would run again almost immediately forcing a response, but I guess it won't run again for a couple weeks at least.

All in all the concept is too good not to tweak it and run it again.
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I'm just disappointed, and I don't know why my expectations were as high as they were. With the first run of Galactus they had a response out I think immediately? This seems to have been even a bigger failure, and warranted more of a response than "we are looking at it, but don't care enough to invest any time in it (or you) right now."

Also, for some reason I was thinking the event would run again almost immediately forcing a response, but I guess it won't run again for a couple weeks at least.

Do you really think it was such a great concept? It seems to me like it was an incredibly lazy concept. All they did compared to the previous style of event was to add three bosses instead of one and vary the bosses per level. That seems like a very small leap of creativity. They didn't even spend thought or money to make new bosses but changed the powers of existing characters so they could reuse the artwork. They didn't spend effort to balance the gameplay. There was no money spent on any story writing that would put the "RPG" into "Puzzle RPG". To me this event seemed like they were just going through the motions and putting as little effort into it as possible.
  • Fightmastermpq
    dan54321 wrote:

Do you really think it was such a great concept?
    Yes. Boss Rush modes are common throughout gaming because they add a challenging game play experience for seasoned players. I think they nailed it with the mode. The boss versions of some of the characters were ridiculous, and the scaling was all out of whack, but the concept is strong IMO.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    dan54321 wrote:

Do you really think it was such a great concept?
    Yes. Boss Rush modes are common throughout gaming because they add a challenging game play experience for seasoned players. I think they nailed it with the mode. The boss versions of some of the characters were ridiculous, and the scaling was all out of whack, but the concept is strong IMO.

Glad to see someone enjoyed this event.. sure they "nailed" the challenging concept but this should not have been released during Anniversary.

Most players, including myself, are annoyed they made the same mistake they did with Galactus last Anniversary. I would have been perfectly happy with another regular PVE so I can earn double Iso and gain experience instead of this slugfest.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Glad to see someone enjoyed this event.. sure they "nailed" the challenging concept but this should not have been released during Anniversary.

Most players, including myself, are annoyed they made the same mistake they did with Galactus last Anniversary. I would have been perfectly happy with another regular PVE so I can earn double Iso and gain experience instead of this slugfest.
    I agree, they are completely out of touch with their player base and quite often illustrate a lack of understanding in how changes to game mechanics impact the player experience. The recent PvE tests are more evidence to that effect.

I welcome additional challenge, but it has to be challenge that can be overcome by skillful play (with the usual amount of luck thrown in). The boss modes for Banner and Phoenix added difficulty primarily through luck. To win you had to be lucky enough to avoid Phoenix's match-5 passive for example. I didn't bother with round 8 very much, but I would say she was averaging close to 6 red AP/turn. And then her 20 AP red ability would down my strongest characters. So every 3-4 turns I am losing someone unless I can find a way to deal 100k+ damage in those first 10 turns. No amount of skill can overcome that. Compare to DDQ4 where most battles can be won through AP denial with some very underleveled/covered characters.

The other issue I noticed was order of operations. Boss Phoenix was adding red tiles to the board for free at the start of her turn, reaping the benefit of any cascades, and then typically making another red match - it would have been better if the tiles were generated at the end of her turn or there was more of a delay before she could use all that AP she generated every turn. Banner was similar but slightly better because he had to wait a turn to transform before Hulk came out and clobbered you. SS's abilities were worded strangely in that he really only needed 6 cosmic tiles out to hit you for pretty big damage because his passive would make 4 which would then trigger his other passive that required 10 and then dealt the damage. Maybe it was just a bug, but IMO if you have 6 at the start of your turn and you make 4, you don't now have 10 "at the start of your turn."

So I think a lot of these issues are things that would have been recognized as terrible by someone in tune with the playerbase, but it should be obvious at this point that no such person exists at D3 or demiurge, and it's due in large part to the lack of red comments in the days following events that fail in such a spectacular manner as this one did.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    So I think a lot of these issues are things that would have been recognized as terrible by someone in tune with the playerbase, but it should be obvious at this point that no such person exists at D3 or demiurge, and it's due in large part to the lack of red comments in the days following events that fail in such a spectacular manner as this one did.
    It didn't fail, though. Until Demi generates a game mode that people flat out don't play, they will never count these events as failures. Looking at the hate factor is one thing, but the bottom line is, people still played this despite the hate they spewed, and they still played it hard.

As long as they keep churning out garbage that people willingly will play, they will keep churning out garbage. I quit after two attempts at round 4, but one person's vote like that only goes so far.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Smudge wrote:
    It didn't fail, though. Until Demi generates a game mode that people flat out don't play, they will never count these events as failures. Looking at the hate factor is one thing, but the bottom line is, people still played this despite the hate they spewed, and they still played it hard.

As long as they keep churning out garbage that people willingly will play, they will keep churning out garbage. I quit after two attempts at round 4, but one person's vote like that only goes so far.
    We don't have access to the numbers, but this is the first boss event I have ever quit on. In every other boss event I cleared that boss node at least 5 times every 8 hours for 3 and a half days (or until the alliance finished it.) This event I missed a clear in the middle, and gave up after round 7 because I had no motivation to continue. You quit even sooner, and judging from the comments on this forum so did A LOT of others. So even though some players still played hard, I think the numbers will probably show a substantial drop-off from previous events.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    We don't have access to the numbers, but this is the first boss event I have ever quit on. In every other boss event I cleared that boss node at least 5 times every 8 hours for 3 and a half days (or until the alliance finished it.) This event I missed a clear in the middle, and gave up after round 7 because I had no motivation to continue. You quit even sooner, and judging from the comments on this forum so did A LOT of others. So even though some players still played hard, I think the numbers will probably show a substantial drop-off from previous events.
    You're not wrong, but people still hate-playing this as far as you or some of the others here did in all likelihood means something completely different to you or I than the guys who examine the metrics up top. That's the point I'm trying to make. icon_e_wink.gif

The completion poll shows that 70%+ of forum-goers completed at least round 6. Difficulty sounds like it was balanced for all roster strengths until the non-boss nodes scaled weaker rosters out of playing. We'll never know how more casual players did, of course, but 70%+ beating through round 6 is still weighted heavily to the top. Without data, that still sounds like a lot of spite playing, and the developers don't care about your motivations for playing... just that you do play (and of course ultimately spend).
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I didn't realize this was posted yesterday, but I would not expect another comment from the devs on Boss Rush until the next time it runs. At which point they'll say something like "we analyzed data and considered feedback from players and have made the following adjustments".

Which will be something along the lines of making the event only mildly less punishing but putting in individual rewards that people care about more than a 3* Storm, which might drive players even more crazy.
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    mrPuzzleQuester Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Smudge wrote:
    the developers don't care about your motivations for playing... just that you do play (and of course ultimately spend).

This is exactly right. As long as people continue to play & pay the devs have no incentive to change a formula that works. The fact is most mobile games are propped up by a few whales so as long as they're happy it's not really a big deal if the rest of the community is upset.

As someone who only spent a negligible amount on the game and don't plan on ever spending another cent I can understand if they don't care what I think since I'm really just a mooch and don't contribute to their bottom line. However this doesn't stop me from voicing my issues with the game when I feel it is justified and I recommend that players who are upset to leave feedback on the forum, stop recommending the game to others, & leave a review on the google play/apple app/steam store.

If negative feedback & public reviews don't force them to make necessary changes before the player base shrinks it's on them for not reacting fast enough.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they nailed it with the mode.

I agree; I certainly felt like I was being crucified while playing it.
This discussion has been closed.