Dino Vault = meh for vets now?

Comments

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    You have a fully covered Dino and are complaining that during an anniversary event, which is mainly when his covers are available, you can't use his rewards because you haven't champed him?

Conclusion: If you had champed him then these rewards would be useful for you and other vets. For non-vets these rewards are useful. Don't blame the developers for offering rewards for your own lack of foresight, especially when an anniversary event is looming which is pretty much the only time where his covers are attainable.

Revised edit: Vaults are designed for the many and not tailor made to cater for the elite.

Right.
    I'm nowhere near vet level.
    I have no dino covers. Vault gives me 9% chance of getting him. If I get him, he goes straight into trash. Woohoo! 1k ISO! There is no chance that I will spend 1000hp to roster a joke character that is available only few times during a year. All my slots will go towards any 4* that I don't have yet.

Add to that all the 2* covers, 1k ISO rewards and the fancy vault has well over 50% chance to give me something almost useless. So that the great anniversary everybody was talking about? Doesn't feel that much better than DDQ that gives me guaranteed 3* cover, ISO and 2 taco tokens every day.
  • timbopp
    timbopp Posts: 88
    So basically the vault is good but also meh because of the Dino covers?
    Well not so meh for those who don't yet have him fully covered and could use those covers. Or for those who do already have him fully covered and champed and could use the champ rewards.
    So just meh for those have him fully covered but have chosen not to champ him... because they don't want to spend 300 ISO on him, because that's a lot of ISO, well not so much ISO really if you spread it out over the whole year since he was last available. 1000 ISO is nothing, if you put just 1000 ISO into him a day he could have been champed months ago.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I personally am excited to win more dino, so the OP is wrong!

With the failed buff I personally am hoping to win no dino covers so all my rewards are usefull, so the OP is right!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I feel that any champ level is useful, so I don't mind the vault at all. Then again, I have had Devil Dino rostered for two years now...
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Dino's purple was a good ability?

I'm very confused.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tee wrote:
    Dino's purple was a good ability?

I'm very confused.

Consider this: the cheapest ability in the game costing only 3 AP. Pair it with OML, Carnage or Prof X and you get their passives going on second turn with one match of purple. It was his niche use (along with fairly large health pool). Cut that away and he is completely useless. His "buff" will make him less annoying in the PvE when he is on the opponent's team. Sadly champing him doesn't make any sense (and it didn't make much ahead of the change).
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Someone did mention to me that he has discounted leveling during the Anniversary. The cost shown is not the actual cost, that it actually costs less to level him if you do it now.

I have not tried it, but others in my alliance have tried it. Look at how much the level costs, and note your ISO amount, then level him and see if it took that amount or if it actually took less. I haven't tried it personally but do plan to after I do the DDQ for the day.

EDIT: I just confirmed this. My Dino showed already having an iso amount credited to his level (I didn't notice the amount) leaving him with ??/820 ISO to go from 135 to 136. My ISO was 23,800. I leveled him and my remaining ISO was 23,049. It cost me 751 to level him. It then put him at level 136 with a credit of 105 exp already on the level. Going to level 137 listed as 105/856 and cost me 751 to go to level 138. Lvl 138 also showed an exp credit of 105/856 and cost me 773 to get to level 139. Level 139 showed a credit of 68/870 to get to 140. Level 140 showed a credit of 105/907 requiring 802 to get to 141... etc...etc.

I never paid attention before, so I don't know if this is limited to the Anniversary timeline, but he is cheaper than other 4* at this time.

EDIT AGAIN: as mentioned below, this is not a special reduction due to anniversary, this is a reduction in his cost that's been there all along. Learn something new every day.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    Someone did mention to me that he has discounted leveling during the Anniversary. The cost shown is not the actual cost, that it actually costs less to level him if you do it now.

I have not tried it, but others in my alliance have tried it. Look at how much the level costs, and note your ISO amount, then level him and see if it took that amount or if it actually took less. I haven't tried it personally but do plan to after I do the DDQ for the day.

Please report. I know that when he was initially released, he was cheaper to level than a typical 4*. But I don't think his leveling costs ever got revised when the leveling cost shift hit with R75 in the spring of 2015. So now he is basically the same as any other 4* (at least in so far as the leveling page says). I have never felt iso-rich enough to sink 300K into him. Even now, doing so would be nice, but it would also mean that I don't level champ JG for another three weeks or so. And it's pretty clear to me that JG will do much more for me that dino ever could.

That's my point. More and more people are going to be covering dino, but the opportunity cost of leveling him is extraordinarily high. This is a small problem now, but it's only going to get worse as more people acquire his covers. And the "buff" just makes him a less compelling character, exacerbating the issue.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    I've been playing almost three years and I love Devil Dino.

1. He's fun. I have plenty of serious characters. I appreciate the whimsy.
    2. He's a tank and sometimes you just need to outlast your opponent.
    3. My Devil Dino has been at 270 for a while. It was with a loud squee that I championed him today.
    4. Low cost damage dealers are great. Pair him with Starlord and you can constantly be hitting the opponent.

I was seriously excited to get to champion my favorite character. I thought it was fun wielding the imaginary hammer with Thor. Chomping with Devil Dinosaur is even better.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    wirius wrote:
    This is probably one of the most self-entitled complaints I've heard on these forums. I'm sorry we could only provide you with bubbly and a corvette, not a porsche. It amazes me how self-centered and unaware of how others are around them people can be.

**** wirius?!

Where is the complaining? Where is the callous self-centeredness? Where is anything you reference?

I don't just know that this is a minor problem overall, I SAID IT!!!!!! I praised both the particulars of this vault construction (re: getting Dino covers) and the overall value of this anniversary week. I said the post wasn't intended as a complaint.

Since when did saying "Hey, this is a thing that I noticed and it's not perfect" turn into some sort of epic and unforgivable entitled whining?

Just stating that your not complaining doesn't really work.

When you make statements such as,

"9 more or less useless prizes that can never be fixed by resetting, they just suck."

"Buff actually makes him much less useful."

"My initial vault had terrible covers."

People see statements along these lines and they see complaints. They may see entitlement.

I will say I agree it would be nice if dino had significantly lower level up costs. But he is a trophy character. Trophies should be hard to get. A trophy is not a participation reward it is an acomplishment.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:

This isn't an "Anniversary special".

No need to promote an unwarranted sense of urgency.

Dino has been this way a looooooong time.

Has been mentioned in multiple threads over the past year and change.
    I was just never aware, I used the little purple level button last time to max him to what his covers allowed. I pulled a purple from the vault and actually looked this time. I was not aware of his reduced cost and I've been playing for 738 days.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono wrote:
    I will say I agree it would be nice if dino had significantly lower level up costs. But he is a trophy character. Trophies should be hard to get.
    ?
    "Dino is hard to get" is the one complaint you're not gonna see...
  • tiomono
    simonsez wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    I will say I agree it would be nice if dino had significantly lower level up costs. But he is a trophy character. Trophies should be hard to get.
    ?
    "Dino is hard to get" is the one complaint you're not gonna see...

Hard to get in the form that you sacrifice iso on him instead of characters that are considered top tier.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono wrote:
    Hard to get in the form that you sacrifice iso on him instead of characters that are considered top tier.
    Bad decisions aren't "hard", they're just dumb.
  • tiomono
    simonsez wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    Bad decisions aren't "hard", they're just dumb.

OK I will give you that. But also realize not everyone sees the same things as bad decisions.

And the main point of my post still stands as to how people could see this topic as a complaint.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Bragging rights.

My Dino is at 4 covers. I can say with confidence, I have never used it (I thought it was a she?). It's occupying a roster slot that I could use for something useful.

Dino is a relic - a completely useless piece of fluff, but if you have it champed you get to tell everyone you have it. A shiny bauble that shows you're a badass, because who would waste resources on that thing unless they already had everything figured out?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    Pair him with Starlord and you can constantly be hitting the opponent.

That's going to be the best image in my mind for the day. Starlord riding a dinosaur and encouraging it to chomp. Maybe an extra set of headphones for Dino, for the funs.
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2016
    Why are we still arguing over 9 covers of Devil Dinosaur in a vault? Time to move on and complain about something that has more importance. This is a more rewarding anniversary than last year. Show some appreciation instead of showing how greedy most people in this forum are. It's just a game. This was a stupid thread to begin with. The only disappointment to me is that Devil Dinosaur didn't receive a good enough buff. They should have left ap cost alone and made his red and green do 5k damage and his purple move his tiles around and stun 1 character for 1 turn. Tired of seeing mostly petty complaints in the forums.
  • Vhailorx
    Why are we still arguing over 9 covers of Devil Dinosaur in a vault? Time to move on and complain about something that has more importance. This is a more rewarding anniversary than last year. So some appreciation instead of showing how greedy most people in this forum are. It's just a game. This was a stupid thread to begin with. The only disappointment to me is that Devil Dinosaur didn't receive a good enough buff. They should have left ap cost alone and made his red and green do 5k damage and his purple move his tiles around and stun 1 character for 1 turn. Tired of seeing mostly petty complaints in the forums.

But. . .But. . .

That's one of the topics I was trying to discuss with this thread. Part of the reason that Dino is a meh prize for people who have him fully covered but not champed is that his buff wasn't good.

How can you complain about my "petty" thread and then agree with my argument?
  • Vhailorx
    tiomono wrote:

Just stating that your not complaining doesn't really work.

When you make statements such as,

"9 more or less useless prizes that can never be fixed by resetting, they just suck."

"Buff actually makes him much less useful."

"My initial vault had terrible cover."

People see statements along these lines and they see complaints. They may see entitlement.

I will say I agree it would be nice if dino had significantly lower level up costs. But he is a trophy character. Trophies should be hard to get. A trophy is not a participation reward it is an acomplishment.

Yay for cherrypicking quotations out of context. You left out other statements like:

"Not a snarky title, just an honest question."

"with the vault mechanic I would guess that Anniversary 3 offers the best chance yet of getting at least 1 dino cover."

"So far the anniversary has been much improved over last year, and I am looking forward to the next 10 days."

"throwing 500 HP at the problem to reset [my vault] is an easy call, but how much iso is it worth spending to make sure I get a decent slate of reward covers?"

It sure is easy to see complaining/entitlement when you only look at the critical statements in my post and ignore everything else. I didn't JUST say that I wasn't complaining. I also mixed in actual, real praise and positive commentary.