Alpha Wolves Now Full

Options

Comments

• Sorry I've been away for away for a it just been busy with RL but I have opened up another 2 slots
  • Hi, I applied in-game. In-game name: dunn_noble. I meet the requirements. I'm a daily player, I'm willing to add alliance slots as soon as I figure out how to add steam credits without paypal or a credit card (cause I don't have either). I usually place above top 25 but I sometimes place top 5 in pvp's and pve's, especially if the reward is good. Currently have 394 points from Fearless Defenders. Hope you add me... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Accepted and opened another slot
  • Top 250 in the Simulator was a decent placing considering we were at 9 members (not sure the exact placing but last time I checked we were at about the 150 mark). Looking forward to seeing what we can hit with even more guys next time. Good luck to everyone in FD and enjoy your Steve Rogers covers!
  • Just bought a steam wallet code from our local game store. Although, I only have enough HP to buy one alliance slot... icon_e_confused.gif
  • Nice, we're already at 19/20. I guess I'll just use the HP to buy covers then. Although I'm not really sure how to contribute to the group now. Anyway, just got Hulk from the Alliance Rewards in FD, congrats guys. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Although I'm not really sure how to contribute to the group now.

Good placements in the tourneys FTW!

Honestly, that's the only way I've been contributing to the alliance (sorry guys), but I managed to get 700+ points in three out of four of the last tourneys, I'm working hard with what I have...
  • Kappei wrote:
    Good placements in the tourneys FTW!

Honestly, that's the only way I've been contributing to the alliance (sorry guys), but I managed to get 700+ points in three out of four of the last tourneys, I'm working hard with what I have...

I guess that's the only thing left to do. I usually only get to 600 points in PvP since I don't really know how to manage my MMR. I did manage to get 940 during FD, although that's just because for the first time I had some HP to burn on shields. I guess I overdid it a little. I'd love to hear from the team how they get higher points in pvp without spending too much on shields.
  • I did manage to get 940 during FD, although that's just because for the first time I had some HP to burn on shields. I guess I overdid it a little. I'd love to hear from the team how they get higher points in pvp without spending too much on shields.

More than 940? Never got even close to that icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, here's what I did in the last 4 tournaments:
    - As a preparation, tank. Shield versus if you're high enough on the ladder, lightning rounds otherwise
    - I don't enter at the last moment as many others in these forums suggest. Usually those that suggest this already have a 5-blue spidey or OBW that lets them to skip the Health pack limit. Also many alliances nowadays coordinate the timings to enter for their members to avoid them stepping on each other's toes.
    - I spread my fights on the course of two days. Usually I push for the 300 points reward as soon as I enter, or in two bursts if I get unlucky with the fights and have to burn my health packs. Then another rush to the 600 points mark.
    - At 600 points the things get difficult (at least for me with a L85 team). Every fight is worth 15-20 points, those that are worth more are against L100+ teams. I skip those that I'm sure I cannot win and buff for the difficult ones.
    - Retaliations. My rule of thumb is to fight those with a positive net amount and skip those with a negative one, with some exceptions for 20-ish points retaliations. Example: I've been hit for 9 points, retaliating will give me 37 points. It's a no brainer, also because in a situation like these a counter-retaliation is unlikely(I'll be worth very few points for the other team). Other example: I've been hit for 20 points, retaliating will give me 25. Usually I fight these only if I know that the fight will be fast and painless(only a minimal hit points loss), since the net gain will be worthless (+5) and I risk locking myself in a retaliation war that is only making me lose time and health packs.
    - Always study the bracket you're in. Walkyourpath and Nemek pop on the rankings? forget the first spot, settle for a top 5 (unless you have a good roster and think you can make it, but it's going to be brutal). 24 hours to go and nobody in your bracket is above 400 points? Push as hard as you can.
    - If you can manage well the retaliations shielding becomes a non-issue. If you live on the fortunate side of the world (America) you can play through the last hour of the tournament hovering at about 600 points, which usually is enough for a top 10 or even top 5. If you're in Europe or Asia shielding becomes more a necessity, unless you want to go sleepless to win a tournament. In any case I've always used just one shield, 8hr or 3hr depending on how sleepy I was (seriously, right now tourneys end at 6 a.m.). Generally 700 points is attainable with a good L85 roster and it is also a good place to shield to get at least a top 10, unless it's a super-competitive bracket.

Playing this way got me three top-5 placements in the last 4 tourneys, and I missed a top 10 by very few points in the Fearless Defenders because of the ending time (I was at work when the tourney ended)
  • Hey, thanks for the awesome tip.
    Kappei wrote:
    More than 940? Never got even close to that icon_lol.gif

I spent like 600 HP in exchange for that though icon_e_sad.gif. I popped in and out with 3-hour shields. But I don't want to spend that much every tourney. I just wanted to place first in a tourney to see how it feels like since I don't see that happening again (not with my current roster anyway).
    Kappei wrote:
    - I don't enter at the last moment as many others in these forums suggest. Usually those that suggest this already have a 5-blue spidey or OBW that lets them to skip the Health pack limit. Also many alliances nowadays coordinate the timings to enter for their members to avoid them stepping on each other's toes.

Is it possible for our alliance to coordinate this? Although I'm not sure if they're all active in the forums. Btw, I'd love to have a cool sig with our alliance. I'm not much of an artist but I'd give it a whirl this weekend.
    Kappei wrote:
    If you're in Europe or Asia shielding becomes more a necessity, unless you want to go sleepless to win a tournament. In any case I've always used just one shield, 8hr or 3hr depending on how sleepy I was (seriously, right now tourneys end at 6 a.m.). Generally 700 points is attainable with a good L85 roster and it is also a good place to shield to get at least a top 10, unless it's a super-competitive bracket.

I'm in the Philippines so it's not that troublesome since events usually end at 12am. Although there were times when tourneys ended at 4am and 6am. Seriously, this game ruined sleeping for me. icon_lol.gif
  • Is it possible for our alliance to coordinate this? Although I'm not sure if they're all active in the forums. Btw, I'd love to have a cool sig with our alliance. I'm not much of an artist but I'd give it a whirl this weekend.

Judging by the activity of this thread I don't think many are reading here, so it would be difficult coordinating at the moment. Probably we'll have more luck with patch R50 and the introduction of Alliance chat. I'm curious to see how many of us are actually active in the group. Probably that would be a good time to do some cleanup too.
  • Are they planning to patch it so you can't fight other people in your alliance? Where can I find future patch details?
  • IceIX posts it on the news and announcements section... Here ya go.. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5716... Although the reply is a little bit late so I guess you may have already read it...
  • Ugh, we didn't reach top 100 in First Avengers. The last time I checked, we were at top 80. I really wanted GSBW's purple ability. I guess I should've pushed a little bit more. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Ugh, we didn't reach top 100 in First Avengers. The last time I checked, we were at top 80. I really wanted GSBW's purple ability. I guess I should've pushed a little bit more. icon_e_sad.gif

I don't know if I got bad luck, but for me this last tournament has been brutal. I managed to get a top 5 with 708 points, but it took me a couple of hours fighting through retaliations. At one point I almost thought about giving up, since after getting 31 points from a fight, I returned to the main hub only to discover I've been hit by 5 retaliations, making me drop 82 points... icon_eek.gif

Probably the experience has been the same for all of us, since last time I checked we were at position #72. After shielding for the night I've been hit 8 more times, while usually in other tournaments I've been hit 2-3 times, if at all.
  • Kappei wrote:
    I don't know if I got bad luck, but for me this last tournament has been brutal. I managed to get a top 5 with 708 points, but it took me a couple of hours fighting through retaliations. At one point I almost thought about giving up, since after getting 31 points from a fight, I returned to the main hub only to discover I've been hit by 5 retaliations, making me drop 82 points... icon_eek.gif

Probably the experience has been the same for all of us, since last time I checked we were at position #72. After shielding for the night I've been hit 8 more times, while usually in other tournaments I've been hit 2-3 times, if at all.

It really was brutal. It seems that everyone's vying for the 1100 lazy shieldbro progression reward, not sure if people were also excited about GSBW. Managed to get 850 points, enough to get to top 5. if I didn't shield for 12 hrs (one 8hr shield and two 3hr shields) I would've been knocked out of the top 25. I probably evaded around 15-18 hits while shielded. I got hit twice, 30+ points each while I was unshielded. I'm down to 375 HP, so I'm not sure if I want to push as much effort into Hollowpoint Kiss since I think I'm more interested in getting Lazy Daken than Psylocke.

Also, I'm not sure if I did my tanking correctly, but the queue I got did have lower leveled teams. But most of them had less than 23 points, I ended up having to skip a lot. Did I throw too many fights in the shield training?

Anyway, hopefully we'll place fairly well in Unstable Iso-8.
  • I'm down to 375 HP, so I'm not sure if I want to push as much effort into Hollowpoint Kiss since I think I'm more interested in getting Lazy Daken than Psylocke.

Well, you already have Psylocke, so you're not giving up a roster slot if you get her covers in this tournament. Also, you probably shouldn't use that much HP to get in top 10. From what I've seen we're using the same core team (C.Storm/MN Mags/MN Thor) and I have no problems getting even at the end of a tournament. I used to be able to use just a 3h shield to get in top 10, but now I have to resort to a 8h one, unless I want to stay awake till 3 a.m., and still I get my 150 HP back at the end.
    Also, I'm not sure if I did my tanking correctly, but the queue I got did have lower leveled teams. But most of them had less than 23 points, I ended up having to skip a lot. Did I throw too many fights in the shield training?

Anyway, hopefully we'll place fairly well in Unstable Iso-8.

Yeah, one of the downsides of tanking is that, while you get easier matchups, they're usually worth a lot less than what you're used to, unless you get matched up with one of the "big whales" that is also tanking (had TheLadder pop up twice in a similar situation, skipped the hell out of there icon_e_biggrin.gif ). You make up for that by breezing through your opponents, so you probably shouldn't skip those (unless they're worth less than 18-15 points).

Unstable Iso-8 is gonna be brutal too, I think. Due to the nature of this event, probably rubberbanding is going to get to insane levels in the last hour and the risk of dropping out of good placements is very high if you don't play in the last hour... Unfortunately for me it's going to be 5-6 a.m. so I guess I'll play as late as I can and hope for the best. In PvE there's no shield to avoid "damages" icon_e_confused.gif
  • Kappei wrote:
    Well, you already have Psylocke, so you're not giving up a roster slot if you get her covers in this tournament. Also, you probably shouldn't use that much HP to get in top 10. From what I've seen we're using the same core team (C.Storm/MN Mags/MN Thor) and I have no problems getting even at the end of a tournament. I used to be able to use just a 3h shield to get in top 10, but now I have to resort to a 8h one, unless I want to stay awake till 3 a.m., and still I get my 150 HP back at the end.

I guess you're right. I got too dependent on shields. Although I wasn't able to reach top 10 as easily. Btw, which team up do you use in PvP's with a featured character? I usually run x / C. Storm / MN Mags except when Mags is down, then I substitute Thor.
  • Btw, which team up do you use in PvP's with a featured character? I usually run x / C. Storm / MN Mags except when Mags is down, then I substitute Thor.

It mostly depends on the featured character. Usually it's Storm/Mag for me too, but lately I'm trying to find some variations, mostly because with that composition we're sitting ducks in defense. In the last two (LazyCap & GSBW) I've been trying something different: Thor+M.Storm, playing exclusively in the desert stage. Still weak in defense, but it compensates with stupidly easy victories while attacking. In the current one I've also started racking up defensive victories, evidently GSBW sinergizes well with Thor and Storm... I'm imagining a lot of frustrated players caught in a sequence of stupid, unavoidable cascades followed by a couple of Call the Storm in the face, but probably it's just my imagination running free icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Kappei wrote:
    It mostly depends on the featured character. Usually it's Storm/Mag for me too, but lately I'm trying to find some variations, mostly because with that composition we're sitting ducks in defense. In the last two (LazyCap & GSBW) I've been trying something different: Thor+M.Storm, playing exclusively in the desert stage. Still weak in defense, but it compensates with stupidly easy victories while attacking. In the current one I've also started racking up defensive victories, evidently GSBW sinergizes well with Thor and Storm... I'm imagining a lot of frustrated players caught in a sequence of stupid, unavoidable cascades followed by a couple of Call the Storm in the face, but probably it's just my imagination running free icon_e_biggrin.gif

The reason I asked is because along with GSBW, I'll be running three squishy characters which means I'll be an easy win for others. If only the AI knew how to properly use MN Mags' Polarity Shift. I'm thinking of running Thorverine, although I don't know how to use them yet... I'll probably do a test drive in prologue.

BTW, what'ya guys think of the sig below?