Is it worth it to champion a 3* that a rarely use?

13»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tarheelmax wrote:

Didn't the devs specifically state that the first new release wasn't going to have clearance levels after that they would? I'm almost positive they did.

Not that I'm aware of. People have jumped to that logical conclusion and it's been dispersed so much most people take it as fact.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a little late but i'll add my thoughts. I think all should be champed. but, not before you have some top tier 4s champed and are satisfied with your pvp performance. that is something that has changed drastically recently for that level of a roster though. if you can hit your target in pvp (or if you don't care about pvp that much), there is no reason not to champ every 2 and every 3 out there. I did it once I hit about 8 champed 4s (plus a mid-level oml) and I don't regret it at all. the hp/cp/xp advantages end up being a bit more significant than you might think.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    If you have many 3* champed already, you don't need to champ every single one right now. Yes there are rewards for champing 3* and the 4* covers you get are great. But for daredevil, it is electra? She isn't that great now that she was nerfed a bit. Yes you can compete better in pves with a higher essentail character (but at the same time you will probably still do just fine with daredevel at 120) and that character might be a featured one in a pvp. But just look at how many 3* there are. It's a 1 in 40 chance that the useless 3* is needed for pvp or pve. I can understand champing someone like luke cage, but I just can't recommend champing daredevil if you have any 4* characters that you can level to 220-250

Also clearance levels are great and all. But realize that the majority of the people on the forums are veteran players meaning they are at clearance level 60+. For the OP's roster, I can probably guess that he/she is at maybe clearance level 30-40 which means that his/her iso reward when leveling up is much smaller (but required less xp to level up). So to come up with the iso for any 4* champ is still going to take a long time. And it's likely that you will get the 14th cover of a 4* before you replenish your iso. Just remember champ rewards never disappear as long as you don't claim them. It's a guaranteed 4* cover that you can choose to get whenever. Where as if you get to level 183 and that 4* cover is a 14th cover, you are forced to either sell it or buy the iso needed or try to get it through hitting every LR, PVP, and PVE (trust me this is not a fun experience). Even if you don't get a 14th cover of a 4*, using your iso to level 4htor, Rulk, hulkbuster, will significantly increase your rewards for pvp and help you progress much faster. Everyone says that you get more hp and covers quicker from doing pvp vs getting them from pve.
  • Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'm not even close to getting a 4* champed. Most of my 4* only have 1 cover each. I'm mainly in 3* land. Anyway, the reason I asked my question is because I have some top-tier 3* that I still need to champ but I don’t have the covers yet:

-Wolverine Patch (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Deadpool (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Black Panther (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Scarlet Witch (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Kamala Khan (will cost about 100,000 ISO to champ)
    -Steve Rogers (will cost over 100,000 ISO to champ)
    -Blade (will cost over 100,000 ISO to champ)

^To get these top-tier 3* champed will cost over 580,000 ISO

Some mid-tier 3* that would like to champ but I don’t have the covers yet:

-Dr Doom (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Psylocke (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Punisher (will cost about 70,000 ISO to champ)
    -Sam Wilson (will cost over 100,000 ISO to champ)
    -Bullseye (will cost over 100,000 ISO to champ)

To get these mid-tiers champed will cost over 410,000 ISO

I currently have about 250,000 ISO. So I was thinking I should not spend this right away on champing bottom-tier 3* and wait until I can champ the top-tiers first when I finally get their covers.

As for my 4* (you can check my roster in my sig) I have about 18 of them but they mostly have only 1-3 covers each. I also have 14 Legendary Tokens and 241 CP but I don’t have the HP for roster slots. So at this point I’m playing PVE and PVP mostly for HP. I have a roster slot for most of the top-tier 4*. But still I need to roster the elusive Iceman, as well as Xpool, maybe Wolvie X-force, and maybe the Hawkeye girl. Of course, if I draw a 5* I will automatically want to roster it.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Definitely get all the top tier 3s champed you have listed.

The mid tier ones I would not champ before you see if you have a 4s ready to level.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Also, since you have cp saved, you might consider buying a select 3s cover.
    But dont do it lightly.

If you have some top tier 3s built 5-5-2 for instance, the last cover might be worth buying with 20 cp if you get covers that would expire otherwise.
  • MrCrowley wrote:
    Also, since you have cp saved, you might consider buying a select 3s cover.
    But dont do it lightly.

If you have some top tier 3s built 5-5-2 for instance, the last cover might be worth buying with 20 cp if you get covers that would expire otherwise.
    Thanks. My problem is, I have Black Panther 5-4-2 (5 is yellow) and the last 4 covers of his I got were Yellow! That seems to happen a lot with my other top-tier non-champed 3*s. It's annoying!
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks. My problem is, I have Black Panther 5-4-2 (5 is yellow) and the last 4 covers of his I got were Yellow! That seems to happen a lot with my other top-tier non-champed 3*s. It's annoying!
    Panther was one of the few 3* on whom I did spend.. was it HP or CP then? I forget, it's been some time now. But like you, his black covers were my white whale and I kept drawing yellow. The darn blacks just would not drop for me other than when that cover came up in Deadpool Daily. And that's a long time to wait. So when I got stuck at 12 covers, I spent something to finish him off. I didn't regret it.

20 CP isn't that much these days depending on what Clearance Level you play.
  • Thanks. My problem is, I have Black Panther 5-4-2 (5 is yellow) and the last 4 covers of his I got were Yellow! That seems to happen a lot with my other top-tier non-champed 3*s. It's annoying!
    Panther was one of the few 3* on whom I did spend.. was it HP or CP then? I forget, it's been some time now. But like you, his black covers were my white whale and I kept drawing yellow. The darn blacks just would not drop for me other than when that cover came up in Deadpool Daily. And that's a long time to wait. So when I got stuck at 12 covers, I spent something to finish him off. I didn't regret it.

20 CP isn't that much these days depending on what Clearance Level you play.
    BP is a good Yellow-Black monster. But I use Luke Cage for Yellow-Black, so I'm okay there. Alternatively I use Cyclops. My weakest color is purple. That's why I want SWitch (missing 2 covers) and Kamala Khan (missing 3 covers) badly.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Panther is one I bought a cover for way back in the foggy ruins of time. Thor and Iron Fist are two others. I know I did it for Jean Grey and I Think I did for Hulkbuster too... All of them had a significant impact on my game, so they were Worth the HP investment.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Black Panther is one I bought a cover for way back in the foggy ruins of time. Thor and Iron Fist are two others. I know I did it for Jean Grey and I Think I did for Hulkbuster too... All of them had a significant impact on my game, so they were Worth the HP investment.
    "Memories light the corners of my mind
    Misty water-colored memories of the way we were"
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I wouldn't put deadpool as one to champ. I would champ him last. The 4* deadpool is a great champ reward at level 183. But if you champ your deadpool and he becomes stronger than others, he will be in the front taking all the damage. Also deadpool likes to jump in front when he has more hp than others when heavy damage is dealt. His normal whales and super whales are great, but I would keep him lower leveled than other characters with black red, and purple power just so he can stay in the back and attack instead of keep jumping in the front killing himself. He does heal when he jumps in the front to defend an ally, but I've noticed the black heal CD gets matched quite often.

Champing him or not does not affect how strong his super whales are. I normally fight with him daily in ddq to get the deadpool points. I only use him in tough fights for his super whales that consumes deadpool points.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    My weakest color is purple. That's why I want SWitch (missing 2 covers) and Kamala Khan (missing 3 covers) badly.
    I would say those 2 are worth spending the CP to finish up.
  • dsds wrote:
    I wouldn't put deadpool as one to champ. I would champ him last. The 4* deadpool is a great champ reward at level 183. But if you champ your deadpool and he becomes stronger than others, he will be in the front taking all the damage. Also deadpool likes to jump in front when he has more hp than others when heavy damage is dealt. His normal whales and super whales are great, but I would keep him lower leveled than other characters with black red, and purple power just so he can stay in the back and attack instead of keep jumping in the front killing himself. He does heal when he jumps in the front to defend an ally, but I've noticed the black heal CD gets matched quite often.
    I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, if I don't champ him he'll be stuck at 4-4-5 for a while, which I don't think is his ideal build. I think 5-5-3 is his best damage-dealing build, with swords and whales doing the most damage. If I champ him (which I'll be able to do as soon as I get his cover from the Shield Simulator soon) I'll be able to fiddle with his build.
    My weakest color is purple. That's why I want SWitch (missing 2 covers) and Kamala Khan (missing 3 covers) badly.
    I would say those 2 are worth spending the CP to finish up.
    I've expressed this idea on the boards before and many people said, "Nooooo... just be patient you will get the covers. Only spend CP on drawing for 4*/5* Legendary tokens. Don't spend CP on bettering 3* characters."
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Championing 3* is a mid-long term investment. At the end, you will finish getting a lot more from a cover of a champed char.
    However, before champing those 3* id level any firstrate 4* you have; my gameplay changed abruptly after championing my first one, thoress
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I think everyone agrees that eventually you want to champ all the 3*s.

The key word is EVENTUALLY.

Get your key 3* champed. Then work on getting at least 4 - 5 of the "Tier 1" 4*s champed. From there, you can bounce back and forth between champing 3* and 4*. Make decisions based on overall quality of the character, how they fit into your playstyle, and expiring covers.

The key question I always asked myself when deciding who to champ next was: "What holes does my roster have? Who can fill a gap that is missing in my roster, or shore up a weakness?"
    So as yourself questions like:
    -Do I need another true healer? (answer is usually YES)
    -Is this a PVP or PVE focused character?
    -What active colors am I missing?
    -What is the color opposite of some of my best characters? Who pairs with them to make a rainbow?
    -If I already have some good rainbow teams, are there any good passives I would like to bring along?
    -Do I have an AP battery for each color?
    -Do I need more AOE? More stuns in different colors? More board shake? More special tiles? Etc.

This was sort of my thought process for filling out my roster.

ALSO... don't underestimate the benefits of a champed 3* (even a "bad" 3*) in PVP when they are the feature. They get a VERY healthy boost, and health will often go over 40k for a fully champed 3*, and some of them can do real damage. I have found that it will equate to much more skips in PVP if you are able to field a decently champed feature.

Here's the only pic I could find, and this is a character 21 levels from max... it goes up considerably from there.

unspecified.png
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Spiritclaw wrote:
    If you don't champion them, what level would you leave them at? 120 for bang for the buck?
    Yes. Leave the ones you don't want to champ yet at 120 (and all of your 3* should be at 120 or champed, unless there is someone you just DO NOT want to tank [for example, I left my Loki at 100 until I champed the other 3*])
  • spidey329
    spidey329 Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    In the long run, yes, champion even the **** ones.
    I had about 20 3*s maxed(before champing), before I started getting into 4* land.

I still only have 7 4*s champed(I just champed Bobby today), but now only have 5 remaining 3*s.
    Even the **** 3*s give 4* rewards. (Rags and Sentry both give you RHulk)
    If you have all of your 3*s at 120, as you should, it is approximately 103k to champ.
    You don't have to champ them all right away, but if you don't have any worthwhile 4*s to level, there's no reason not to.

Then what you should do is hoard. Hoard iso, hoard heroics, hoard the covers in your reward cache. (12 days is a long time)
    I just champed Sentry and Squirrel Girl, because I ended up getting 6 Sentry covers and 3 SG covers from PvP placement rewards a few weeks ago.
    With the new daily iso rewards it is extremely easy to champ a 3*. I champed both of those from lvl 120 in less than the 12 day expiration. And I'm not a balls to the wall player. I play DDQ, I play PvP to 900-1k+(under new system. 1.5k+ prior), and I play moderate PvE. Nothing crazy, just enough to get maybe t100, if that.

Also, once you start getting a supply of 4*s that are fully covered, but underleveled, STOP pulling LTs and spending CP.
    This is the point where you start hoarding iso. Save up 400k(you'll need a lot of willpower), THEN pull. And you don't have to necessarily pull everything. Maybe you've got 5 LT tokens and 100-150 CP, that's fine. Pull until you start getting duplicates of covers you already have. Then pick one of the max-covered, preferably top-tier, 4*s and champ them.

Then you can go back to hoarding iso for 3*s or new shiny 4*s.