Is it worth it to champion a 3* that a rarely use?

richterbelmont10
richterbelmont10 Posts: 186
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I’m a 3* player with about half the best 3* championed. Is it worth the ISO to champion a 3* that a rarely ever use to get the champion rewards? For example, I rarely ever use Colossus. He’s currently at level 123 and it will cost about 100,000 ISO to champion him. Daredevil is currently at level 140 it will cost about 70,000 ISO to champion him. Same with Sentry. I rarely ever use these characters; mostly when they are required for some event or DDQ.

I currently have about 300,000 ISO. Still, that seems like an awful lot of ISO to spend. I know I’m getting a Legendary Token as my first champion reward, but is it really worth it?

Comments

• Kross
    Kross Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I say yes because that Legendary Token will help you build your 4 star roster. And as you progress in rewards they give you a 4 star cover. Especially with getting an automatic 3 star everyday with Deadpool Daily.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I made the mistake of champing 3* characters that I don't use. It is useful to champ them for their champion rewards. But if you have few top tier 4* characters you could put iso to. For instance 4thor, hulkbuster, red hulk, and they are at decent covers like 10-12, I would wait and save my iso. Then either level or champ a few of the top tier 4* together. It's not fun leveling one 4*.

You will eventually keep getting 3* covers so they are not rare due to ddq. So don't be afraid to sell the 14th cover if you have other characters that you can spend it on.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I champed all of them and I don't regret it. Some of them give really good 4s as rewards, and the champ rewards are worth it, for those covers not to go to waste.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eventually you will need to champion all 3*.

Once you have about 15-20 3* champed, you have a choice.
    a. save iso to level 4* or
    b. champion 3* based on when you get the covers.

getting into the 4* tier is really though opening the lt and cp tokens. The hp and cp rewards that come from champion levels is really important in maintaining a steady and consistent supply of resources.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Neither do I, however I might be a bit bias as I'm a collector so I'd Champion every character when possible. I do agree that I don't use most star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters but it puts my mind at ease with all of them Championed & whenever I get a duplicate & reward given in exchange is a nice welcome.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually just championed Colossus this evening. My rule of thumb on the three stars I don't like/never use is to hold off of the champion promotion until I get a cover that's about to expire. That happened tonight with Colossus, so I ponied up the ISO-8 and gave him a not-well-deserved champion status.

Daredevil isn't great, but he can be fun - it never gets old when the enemy downs his or her self with a match that yields the sausage drop. Sometimes I'll even say s-s-s-sausagality!!! when it happens. Good times, good times.

That said I am not sure if my remaining two non-champion-three-stars, Ragnarok and Sentry will get the same consideration, unless there's some kind of big rework.
  • dsds
    What you have to realize is that 4* iso needs are much greater than 3*. 4* covers are more rare also. When I champed all my 3*, it was at the cost of not being able to champ my 4*. I didn't see it at the time, because I didn't realize how much more iso is needed to champ 4* characters and figured I was a long way from having to champ a 4* so I champed all my useless 3*. Luckily it was invisible women and antman covers that went to waste. Unfortunately I had to start a dup of 4thor.

You can't see it now. But once you get into the 4* transition, you will wish that you saved the iso for them. 3* covers are not rare so don't worry about wasting them. from 198 to 270, it is about 250,000 iso.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    If you don't champion them, what level would you leave them at? 120 for bang for the buck?

How much ISO would you pay for the legendary token that is the first champion reward? Compare that number to the ISO it costs to move from 120 to 166. For me, the conclusion was to eventually champion all 3*s. Even Rags and She-Hulk.
  • dsds
    Definitely leave them at 120 because the cost level is still less than 1000 per level. The LT tokens are great. However, you will quickly realize, that most of what you get is 4* characters and you soon see a 14th cover of a 4* character from opening LTs. Those LTs from champing a 3* will always be there. You don't lose them if you delay championing the useless 3* character.

Even if you had good odds and got a couple of 5* from the LTs. What then? Are you going to level them with the iso that you just spent on your useless 3* characters?
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I championed all of my 3-star characters and I'm super happy about it. I've gotten the first 4-star reward from just over half of them (level 183) and that's been pretty nice. They also always rotate through pvp, so it's nice having that Sentry or Doc Oc over level 200 to make those fights a little easier. I dunno. I'm sure I could have saved the ISO for something else, but finishing that last character (Sentry) was satisfying and I've gotten a bunch of rewards on the **** guys since.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    With the advent of the XP system, I think it's even more worth it to champ all 3 star.png . You're going to end up with at least 2x per PVE event assuming you're CL7, and that's without any placement awards. Combine that with the DDQ prizes, I think in the long run it's totally worth it.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I'd say yes in general, but especially yes now that the flow of 3* covers has been upped a bit by the new token. It's a slow but steady way of earning 4* covers.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    i always resisted champing bottom tier 3*(Squirell Girl, Ragnorak, etc.) but i got really really tired of constantly getting their covers and not being able to use them. Trust me, you will progression will have a noticable increase if you champ all 3*, especially iso.
  • MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    I'm an early 4* transitioner, finally finished my last 3* Champ, Doc Ock. I previously softcapped just about every 3* I had at 140, this was pre-championing update, so when I came back, I found I had a lot of work to do. A few I had left lower as I didn't like them: Sentry, Rags, Vision, She-Hulk, Punisher etc in the 40-100 range.

I'm not in a desperate need for ISO as I only have 1 4* champ, 4hor, and two others max covered, PX and IW, neither of whom will see much more ISO. Though I keep getting their covers... I created a 1/1/1 PX dupe and cashed out a green IW cover and have another sitting in queue. The rest of my 4*s aren't near max covered, Thing (209) is at 3/2/5, SL (180) is at 5/3/3 with 2 more purple covers in queue and another coming from 4* pve progression, thx for nothing. My IMHB (70) is a weird 3/2/5 so I don't think dumping ISO in him is a priority yet.

I'm pretty glad that I champed Sentry the other week as I can use him in this Heroic. I just toss him in with two other chars I don't care about dmg (4* Cage and 2* Carol) and use that team to clear up some of the early "normal" nodes.

Personally, I would champ all the 2*-3* chars as I hate tossing covers for 250/500 iso. It's great when u get a 2 CP reward from a random 3* and that puts you at 20 CP and that lands u something tasty.... or another IW cover.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was transitioning into 4*, I did stop spending iso into the bottom half of the 3*. It wasn't until I had the top tier 4* championed, when I went back to finish off championing the 3*. The rewards adds up and not to mention the amount of xp you gained too.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes. Realistically I only use about ten 3*s on a regular basis, but the extra HP/CP from championing everybody makes a huge impact. Plus, if you're an obsessive min-maxer like myself, not feeling like you're "wasting" covers by selling is great.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've also champed all of the 3*s. It's nice to get XP and a nice prize for every 3* cover you pull. As someone else said, just wait until you get a cover that you can immediately use to get a Legendary.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    When I was transitioning into 4*, I did stop spending iso into the bottom half of the 3*. It wasn't until I had the top tier 4* championed, when I went back to finish off championing the 3*. The rewards adds up and not to mention the amount of xp you gained too.

I think this is the better option, and I disagree with most of the others here saying yes no matter what.

I'm pretty much done with the 4* tier. And the 4* tier is expensive. It's something like 3x as much iso per character.

So I think it depends on where you are. If you have covers, or getting close to have covers to max top 4*s, I'd say it's really bad to delay the 4* tier in order to champ 3*s. The rewards of the 3* champs won't push you forward as fast as if you would have just invested in the 4* tier.

However, if you have little to no 4* maxes in sight, then I think it's ok to champ all the 3*s, only because you're cover starved.

TLDR: If you're limiting factor is iso, don't champ the 3*s. If it's 4* covers, then champ the 3*s.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed all of them and I don't regret it. Some of them give really good 4s as rewards, and the champ rewards are worth it, for those covers not to go to waste.

Did the same thing. That was my goal when the championing feature came out, to get them all championed. I'd previously been focussing on levelling up 3*s that were boosted that week but I'd hit a wall right before championing where I wasn't getting enough 4* covers, my 3*s that were worth getting to 166 were done and I didn't have enough ISO to level up a 4*. I'd gathered a ton of ISO without knowing what to do with it.

Then championing happened and I champed nearly all of my 3*s, all the 2*s I'd had maxed at the time and used the covers I'd been saving up on them. Then I spent my time saving ISO to champ characters I had covers for but hadn't levelled up yet. Was a lot of fun and a nice goal to aim towards right when I had started to run out of things to do.

Now no 3* is wasted. I even used some of the Shield Level ISO to champ the few 2*s I had left unchamped so now I only end up selling 1*s and a few 4*s I don't feel like championing (Invisible Woman, Nick Fury, Professor X and so on.) It's a good feeling knowing every cover helps you a little, nothing feels wasted any more. I'd hit the point where every non-4* cover was just more ISO in the bank. Now every token is worth something =)
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    I say yea! I love the steady flow of champ rewards from 3* covers. But i think you should champ the too 3s first, then the top 5 4s, before you finish up your 3s. By that time you should have most 4s rostered. Yiu dont want the scenario where u get a 4* cover from a champ level but dont hve that character rostered