Is it worth it to champion a 3* that a rarely use?

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:
    Pongie wrote:
    When I was transitioning into 4*, I did stop spending iso into the bottom half of the 3*. It wasn't until I had the top tier 4* championed, when I went back to finish off championing the 3*. The rewards adds up and not to mention the amount of xp you gained too.

I think this is the better option, and I disagree with most of the others here saying yes no matter what.

I'm pretty much done with the 4* tier. And the 4* tier is expensive. It's something like 3x as much iso per character.

So I think it depends on where you are. If you have covers, or getting close to have covers to max top 4*s, I'd say it's really bad to delay the 4* tier in order to champ 3*s. The rewards of the 3* champs won't push you forward as fast as if you would have just invested in the 4* tier.

However, if you have little to no 4* maxes in sight, then I think it's ok to champ all the 3*s, only because you're cover starved.

TLDR: If you're limiting factor is iso, don't champ the 3*s. If it's 4* covers, then champ the 3*s.

The other scenario is when you have high level or champed 5*s, and a reasonable bench of high tier 4*s already. In that instance, it may make sense to go back and champ your 3*s first, since it's lower hanging fruit which you'll complete quickly, then work on your 4*s. That's mostly because you're not using either your 3*s or 4*s really in that scenario.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Not really.

Command points are now so easily attainable it doesn't really make sense to champ 3* for rewards. At the current rate it will taketoo long to yield the 4* covers that you need. You will most likely get them through regular play long before they start yielding more than one 4* cover. The rest of the rewards are rather paltry until you get about 30-40 covers in.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    With the new rank system and clearance levels giving so much Iso there isn't much of a reason not to. Maybe you'll need one for one of those heroics around the corner.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:

The other scenario is when you have high level or champed 5*s, and a reasonable bench of high tier 4*s already. In that instance, it may make sense to go back and champ your 3*s first, since it's lower hanging fruit which you'll complete quickly, then work on your 4*s. That's mostly because you're not using either your 3*s or 4*s really in that scenario.

Yeah, now that there's not much I need in 4* land, I'm going back for a couple 3* champs. But that's mainly because 5*s are relatively cheap compared to 4*s, as you can only level when you get covers.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had all threestars maxed when the champion system launched, so for me it was an easy decision to champ them all. Haven't regretted it, the rewards Cascade you can get with all two- and threestars maxed is awesome. It only got better when the SHIELD rank was introduced.
    One thing to consider is that the champion rewards for threestars have all the good stuff in the back - the first 50 threestar champion levels gives you one Legendary token (the very first level), one fourstar cover, 12 CP, 250 HP and two Heroic tokens. The last 50 levels give you 750 HP, 38 CP, two fourstar covers and four legendary tokens. The sooner you start your threestar champions the sooner you get to the good stuff...
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    It is easy for people to say that they are happy after champing all 3 starts after deciding to do it. However, that is the same thing as being happy with the super expensive car you just got or a new stereo. Even if it was not the best decision, you defend it naturally and perhaps even not being aware of doing so.

Be smart about this.

Eventually champing all 3s might be a good idea for the rewards.
    Think about what your realistic goal for the game is in a few months, half a year or maybe even a year?

Do you like PVP?
    Do you like to play "high level" PVP?
    If so, you need to go into 4s land deep enough to get top tier 4s champed.
    How long should you wait for getting a good 4s roster? Are you willing to wait and champ those 3s instead?

Do you like only PVE?
    If so, you might be a lot happier with a lower level roster because it does not mess with your scaling so much. But... What about 5s which will anyway increase your level to 255 for scaling?

My own tactic was to go for a decent set of 4s champs (looking at around 7-8 top tier ones) and then recheck where my roster is at. If I still dont have 5s in usable level, I will start champing the rest of my 19 unchamped 3s to get more legendary tokens and cp. Getting more 4s champs might not help me at that point so much anymore.

Also, if my 4s roster does not offer me a good place to put my ISO, I might be tempted to champ a 3s, but not if I am close to champing an important 4s (one cover missing for instance).

This is what I like, but I play 90% of the game in PVP mode (not considering DPDQ).
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ask yourself which is better...

Getting a guaranteed 500 iso for selling the cover.

Or

The possibility of more iso , cp, tokens or hp from a champ reward.

The champ rewards are worth champing everyone in my opinion even though I don't roster everyone myself
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champing 3*s was an important part of my 4* transition, not just for the LTs, but for knowing that I was going into each pvp with my featured character as big as possible. Obviously the 4* rosters didn't care much that the were champed, but I know when looked at the rosters around me and saw similar teams but with massively different featured character levels, the low ones were the ones I would target, so surely my champ would send smaller rosters to look in another place from time to time. Whether it saved me any hits or not, I'll never know, but it helped build me up to take on bigger rosters and start chasing 1000 point mark.
    And then, when a fight goes wrong and my team was smashed, but that champed featured character who I never really use is standing with a couple of hundred health left and the AP to finish the fight, I was glad to have them, especially when it popped me over a progression mark.
    And they were more likely to tank colours for my damage dealers when champ boosted, reducing health pack usage on fast climbs.
    Tl;dr Champing as many 3*s as I could definitely helped me out a lot on the way to some key 4* covers.
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    If you are in Shield level 7, then 3* covers drop like crazy. I had 9 GRocket covers last in less than a week from PvE placement, PvE progression, DDQ and vault pulls. Even level 6 is decent.

However, I only championed my 3*'s when they were placement rewards, or upcoming in the DDQ if they were exceptional - That way I always had a maxed or close to it character for the next PvE.

Personally I'd wait with them, store your ISO and champion them when needed. It would be worse to get to a stage where you have a fully covered 4* with a cover expiring and not enough iso.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    CT1888 wrote:
    Champing 3*s was an important part of my 4* transition, not just for the LTs, but for knowing that I was going into each pvp with my featured character as big as possible. Obviously the 4* rosters didn't care much that the were champed, but I know when looked at the rosters around me and saw similar teams but with massively different featured character levels, the low ones were the ones I would target, so surely my champ would send smaller rosters to look in another place from time to time. Whether it saved me any hits or not, I'll never know, but it helped build me up to take on bigger rosters and start chasing 1000 point mark.
    And then, when a fight goes wrong and my team was smashed, but that champed featured character who I never really use is standing with a couple of hundred health left and the AP to finish the fight, I was glad to have them, especially when it popped me over a progression mark.
    And they were more likely to tank colours for my damage dealers when champ boosted, reducing health pack usage on fast climbs.
    Tl;dr Champing as many 3*s as I could definitely helped me out a lot on the way to some key 4* covers.

I barely notice any performance difference if my featured is a non-champed fully covered 120 base leveled 3s or a fully champed 3s. This is of course partially due to the reason that the rest of my non-champed 120 lvl 3s are "low tier" in terms of power.
    Champing the "top tier" 3s is of course recommended in any case, and I would say there is around 15 of the ones that really can make some difference in the matches.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Pessi wrote:
    If you are in Shield level 7, then 3* covers drop like crazy. I had 9 GRocket covers last in less than a week from PvE placement, PvE progression, DDQ and vault pulls. Even level 6 is decent.

However, I only championed my 3*'s when they were placement rewards, or upcoming in the DDQ if they were exceptional - That way I always had a maxed or close to it character for the next PvE.

Personally I'd wait with them, store your ISO and champion them when needed. It would be worse to get to a stage where you have a fully covered 4* with a cover expiring and not enough iso.
    Given SCL only seems to run every second or 3rd PVE at best since its void for new releases, it makes planning developing your roster harder. If it was consistent it would be great but its just the odd suprise appearance.
  • Quebbster
    Pessi wrote:

Given SCL only seems to run every second or 3rd PVE at best since its void for new releases, it makes planning developing your roster harder. If it was consistent it would be great but its just the odd suprise appearance.
    It's not that odd. Character releases are every other week, so it's one week without PvE clearance levels (release PvE, new character essential PvE), then one week with PvE clearance levels (whatever other PvE they run Before the next character release). Sometimes they release a fivestar instead, which should mean even more PvE clearance levels...
    I can sort of see why they don't want clearance levels in boss battles, too...
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    If you're solidly in 4 star tier (t10 4s like cyke, Jean Grey, Bobby champed) then yes, champ the useless 3s. At some point all those extra covers will really accelerate your iso/cp/shield rank level. After I finished with champing 10 top tier 4s, I'm currently working on champing my useless 3s that pvp and pve rewards give me multiples of.

However if you're beginning the 3-4 transition, then use your iso to champ a core of top tier 4 stars. They'll sustain you through the transition well and when you're in solid 4 star land, you can return to champing useless 3s to feed covers and rewards to your 4s.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed my maxed 3* immediately when Championing became a feature. The rest I progressively brought up to 120.

I was starting my 4* transition, and I had several 4* with max covers, but not max leveled. Those became my priority. Once I maxed my 4* that were max covered, I would save ISO from PVE and champ the 3* that had the most covers in queue. Don't sell your 3* covers right away... hold them until close to the oldest one expiring... see who has the most covers in queue and that was the one I champed next.

With Shield Rank release bonus, I champed all my 2*, and with Clearance Levels you receive many more 3* rewards. Those extra covers for 2* and 3* give you XP really fast, along with getting the green check in PVE, so Shield Rank goes pretty quickly giving you a boost of ISO ever so often. I use that ISO boost to help champ the next 3* while I wait for the 4* covers that I need.

I now have 3 3* left to champ: Rags, Spidey and Falcon. I have 2 2* left to champ: Moonstone and BagMan.
    I only roster 3 1*'s: Jugs and 2 Blue only Modern Black Widow's for TU's.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Echoing what everyone else said here - absolutely worth champing even low tier 3*s that you seldom use.

One additional reason: Having options during Heroic PvEs (if you play them) is a good thing.

Psylocke was my 40th 3* champ with the rewards from CL7 in the DA Heroic, and while I will never use her outside of essential/boosted events, I have to say, she's not as terrible as I thought in this event.

Passing on someone like Sentry who only has powers that also damage your own team? I can see that. I never use him even when he's boosted, but I still have him champed to reap the rewards. The rewards are better than having to sell his covers for 500 iso each time.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Pessi wrote:

Didn't the devs specifically state that the first new release wasn't going to have clearance levels after that they would? I'm almost positive they did.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    MLDB wrote:
    However if you're beginning the 3-4 transition, then use your iso to champ a core of top tier 4 stars. They'll sustain you through the transition well and when you're in solid 4 star land, you can return to champing useless 3s to feed covers and rewards to your 4s.
    Yeah but you need the covers for those top-tier 4* to champ them in the first place. If you don't have them, I think you may as well go ahead and champ the 3* rather than sit on the ISO. In the new SCL environment, and with Elite tokens, the ISO income is significantly increased and the 3* covers really flow, so you don't want to be missing out on champ rewards for the 'lesser' 3* while you wait and wait and wait for those final 4* covers to drop.

Take my opinion with some salt as someone with 40 x 3* champions and 1 lonely 4* champion. But then I don't care how fast I progress anyway; I've never hit a 4* cover in PVP for instance.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed all 3*s. It was a fun project. When I finally hit max-champ for 3*s, I'll probably sell them and do it all over again. It's like the 2* champing farm, but much, much, much, much slower icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I champed all 3*s. It was a fun project. When I finally hit max-champ for 3*s, I'll probably sell them and do it all over again. It's like the 2* champing farm, but much, much, much, much slower icon_e_smile.gif
    I'll probably start a dupe of the maxchamped 3* when I get there, since the process is indeed much slower and I'd rather not have to rely on anything less than a level 166 Three-star. Considering how much HP I get from the various champion levels the cost of extra roster slots shouldn't matter by then.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's worth champing every 3*. Vs selling the covers, you get

- XP for every champ level
    - Overall similar Iso
    - 4* covers, CP, HP

It's similar to the 2* farm. You only use them on a limited basis in certain scenarios. Mainly, they're part of your personal economy. You sacrifice the initial Iso investment and reap rewards better than direct sale. On the 3* tier it's Iso-neutral, but the bonuses are great for progression.

I've got 39 3* champed, and don't regret it. Every cover is useful, building extra roster slots, 4* covers, and LTs. They're a platform for growth.