Are transitioning players "supposed to lose" in PvP?

The Herald
The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I don't want to be too harsh here.

I'm a bit salty after losing 80 points to gain 60 in a single match, breaking my shield to try and edge closer to 900 and improving my 4* roster, but this may be because it's Cage PvP and he slows matches down.

But...

It seems pretty bad for me, although I'm not sure how it is for other 3* players just sticking their heads above the parapets.

With no boosted 4*s in a week with some awesome boosted 4*s this got a little tough. I couldn't get any 3* teams to gel properly.

I AM fortune enough that I could run Thing and X-Force Deadpool at level 190 each, 5 Green Thing 5 Purple Xpool, which didn't cost 3 health packs to fight at my own level and gave me a fighting chance against 4* teams.

Whatever the new MMR is up to it wasn't trying to match me to 5* teams, so some things are working in the new PvP.

But I stall out.

Hard.

Go above 600?

Plummet without shields.

Try to shield hop from 800?

Jogging on the spot.

There ARE still cupcakes. Anyone who wants to play PvP without already having a deep 4* roster is a permanent cupcake X_X

How does this match other people's experiences?

Will a faster PvP help? Or just help a player like me get hit more? O.o

Comments

• Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Pvp needs a tier system based on roster strength, not on the timing of signing up.

I don't know the data, but I assume people of 2 and 3 star.png rosters play very little pvp.
  • The Herald
    There are baby brackets for 2* players, extremely easy to place in.

You then graduate to the big pond.

There are a lot less points in a slice now, and targets are a lot harder. After a certain level paying became pointless for me.

It's not all doom and gloom since 10CP is actually achievable now, but there's a good chance this new PvP will be impossible over 800 points until I start Championing 4*s.

Somehow.

I guess I was spoiled by a season where enough work could get me a 4* cover.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    It just would be nice to have a tier or two between 'players who still get excited about a moonstone cover' and 'ugh, another Silver Surfer black? That's the 9th one already'
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I have three 4* covers and have managed to reach 900 under the new system twice.
    However without cupcakes I cannot reach 1200.
    In fist bump only 5 players in my bracket/slice reached 1200.
    Four of those had a minimum of two maxed 5*s
    The other guy had at least eight maxed 4*.

The removal of cupcakes has changed the game forever.
    Until my roster improves I can only get to 900.
    I'm happy that they've put 10cp at 575, I like it, sharing the wealth.

So to answer your question, yes we are supposed to lose until our rosters improve or the big guys move to level 8 and 9.
    Like someone said we are the new cupcakes
    icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    The Herald wrote:
    I don't want to be too harsh here.

I'm a bit salty after losing 80 points to gain 60 in a single match, breaking my shield to try and edge closer to 900 and improving my 4* roster, but this may be because it's Cage PvP and he slows matches down.

But...

It seems pretty bad for me, although I'm not sure how it is for other 3* players just sticking their heads above the parapets.

With no boosted 4*s in a week with some awesome boosted 4*s this got a little tough. I couldn't get any 3* teams to gel properly.

I AM fortune enough that I could run Thing and X-Force Deadpool at level 190 each, 5 Green Thing 5 Purple Xpool, which didn't cost 3 health packs to fight at my own level and gave me a fighting chance against 4* teams.

Whatever the new MMR is up to it wasn't trying to match me to 5* teams, so some things are working in the new PvP.

But I stall out.

Hard.

Go above 600?

Plummet without shields.

Try to shield hop from 800?

Jogging on the spot.

There ARE still cupcakes. Anyone who wants to play PvP without already having a deep 4* roster is a permanent cupcake X_X

How does this match other people's experiences?

Will a faster PvP help? Or just help a player like me get hit more? O.o

Same here, I feel like a permanent cupcake. The 3*nerf was too much. Every 4*+player use us to climb. "See a 3*, even boosted, click on fight, no-brainer". Even in lightningrounds there are fullchamped 4* and 5* rosters who drive through me like a hot knife through butter.
  • bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2016
    Echoing the experience of the OP.

I'm a 3* player, shield rank 54, in the early days of my 4* transistion (starting to put ISO into a few 4*s), got 32 champed 3* but no real usable 4* (12 cover Iceman at lvl 130 the closest).

Get to 600 easily, then I start getting hit - and when/if I make it past 700 my Q is full of IM40/champed Thoress teams. If I can q another 3* team, the matches take ages because of LC's 20k HP. So, one match hops worth max 40 points is the only option - and I have neither time nor shields enough for that to work out.

If I stay out, I get hit on average twice for every match I win, making me tread water around the 700 mark.

*Just* crawled over the 900 line in the last pvp, given up on making it this event.

I'm well aware I'm not entitled to reach the top prize with my roster, but it would be nice to be in with a fighting chance at the prize most relevant to players like me, the cover at 900.

Fingers crossed they'll lower the bar further down a notch, with the 4* cover at, say, 800.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    I hit 900 and was 10th in my bracket without a useable 4*. At one point i lost 300 points while hopping ( under 3 hours to go) so i see where you are coming from, but i don't know if we can gauge if the system is hampering us based on the limited events we've had so far.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Even though Thing and Deadpool are great on defense, they make you a target at only level 190.

I was in your slice and I hit you once. You showed up in my queue a 2nd time, but you weren't worth as much, and I try to avoid double hits when reasonable.

All of my other options were level 270+, with a lot of champed Thor and X-23's. I'm not sure what your roster looks like, but you might be less of a target using champed/boosted 3 stars.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i have 4 4*s champed and still can't get to 900, no problem reading 1k before.

no, I will not shield before 300. if you force me to, I just stop playing PvP.

now I'm waiting for pve to go back to the old system without 4* progression, effectively stopping progression as a whole.
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker

So to answer your question, yes we are supposed to lose until our rosters improve or the big guys move to level 8 and 9.
    icon_e_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Yes I have a few champed 4* and a few low covered 5* as well. But that's the thing. Even if the heavy hitter with champed 5* enter in Sheild clearance level 8-9-10 they will still see you at some point. Depending on what slice you play your available to everyone in that slice.
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    edited September 2016
    mikepro wrote:

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Yes I have a few champed 4* and a few low covered 5* as well. But that's the thing. Even if the heavy hitter with champed 5* enter in Sheild clearance level 8-9-10 they will still see you at some point. Depending on what slice you play your available to everyone in that slice.

As is, clearance level doesn't affect who you see at all, all shard is visible according to mmr only. Hopefully they will change that. And hopefully soon.

I always hated being hit my max 4* while at the 2* transition back in the days, certainly won't do the same to little rosters no matter how many points they give me. But maybe that is just me, a little kid that grew up wanting to slay dragons, not kitties and puppies.

[finally edited correctly]
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mikepro wrote:

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Yes I have a few champed 4* and a few low covered 5* as well. But that's the thing. Even if the heavy hitter with champed 5* enter in Sheild clearance level 8-9-10 they will still see you at some point. Depending on what slice you play your available to everyone in that slice.[/quote]
    They will see you, but they won't compete with you for placement rewards anymore. That should make it easier to progress since you get more rewards from placement when everyone is more or less in the same roster boat.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Just wondering what clearance levels you guys are choosing.

From what I see in CL7 brackets the points at the high end are the same as before when people complained points were too high but now the people in 3* and 4* land are way below so you have a massive divide now.

5* players are able to bake themselves cupcakes that only they can beat easily. I have no problem with that but sucks for others who use to use cupcakes to help get to progression and now have to rely on beating champion 5* cupcakes using whales TU a lot if wanting to get progression.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It takes a looooong time (well over a year) before you can get more points. This update seems to have set certain people back.

I used to be able to go from around 300 points to 1300 points or higher pretty easy, because there were just enough targets in the 60-75 range that hops weren't so bad.

This time, I stopped out at around 1067, because all of a sudden battles were only around 30 points, and I was terrified that I'd beat a 30 point battle and then suddenly drop hundreds of points. Next time, I may aim for 1100+ on my first hop.

We'll see what happens when I unshield later today, if I can make it to 1200 or if I get trounced and end up back at 900 or less... icon_e_surprised.gif
  • The Herald
    Pants1000 wrote:
    Even though Thing and Deadpool are great on defense, they make you a target at only level 190.

I was in your slice and I hit you once. You showed up in my queue a 2nd time, but you weren't worth as much, and I try to avoid double hits when reasonable.

All of my other options were level 270+, with a lot of champed Thor and X-23's. I'm not sure what your roster looks like, but you might be less of a target using champed/boosted 3 stars.

I must have had a bad run of luck early in Sticks and Stones. Just couldn't get any team to work effectively until I dusted off ThingPool.

PvP is The Quick, The Dead, and the Health Packless. I wasn't going fast enough or without bleeding health packs X_X
  • Mr_Sinister
    The Herald wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:

I must have had a bad run of luck early in Sticks and Stones. Just couldn't get any team to work effectively until I dusted off ThingPool.

PvP is The Quick, The Dead, and the Health Packless. I wasn't going fast enough or without bleeding health packs X_X

Cage was the issue for us in the 3* tier. 4* player match damage was smaller but still considerable while 3* match damage was non existent, adding time to each match that left us hanging like a nice piece of fruit.

Another factor is the limited options for boosting his strong colors. I dont think there is a yellow battery and black is limited to 3 maybe? Doom, Mystique, IF and thats all i can recall. So, long story short, his pvp requires spike damage to overcompensate for the limited batteries and in this PvP that meant boosted Thoress.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:

Cage was the issue for us in the 3* tier. 4* player match damage was smaller but still considerable while 3* match damage was non existent, adding time to each match that left us hanging like a nice piece of fruit.

Another factor is the limited options for boosting his strong colors. I dont think there is a yellow battery and black is limited to 3 maybe? Doom, Mystique, IF and thats all i can recall. So, long story short, his pvp requires spike damage to overcompensate for the limited batteries and in this PvP that meant boosted Thoress.
    Kingpin is the only yellow battery I can Think of, and he's probably disqualified...
  • Mr_Sinister
    Quebbster wrote:
    The Herald wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:

Kingpin is the only yellow battery I can Think of, and he's probably disqualified...

God call, totally forgot about him. He's not useable for me but I did catch some chatter others were using him, though there were some questions as to how the AI was playing the two with regards to the overlap.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    not sure visibility is the problem.
    Think the points system needs adjusting so get more points for a win, more points for a defend, or lose less points for a defeat.

Pvp is incredibly frustrating when wasting hp just to hover around 600 points. It's like being on a Hampster wheel.

That said, the progression rewards make it worth playing with 10cp at 575
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    PvP needs to be completely and thoroughly overhauled. As in, down to the foundations.

It's a problem when half the game is an utter and complete waste of time for about 85% of the total game population.