* Storm (Modern) * [PRE 2014-07]

245678

Comments

  • I prefer black just because so few characters have an active black power, while there are a ton of active reds. I almost never used her red power because Iron Man/Thor/Wolverine were always using it, whereas black APs just build up usually.
  • I got a Black Storm from one of the events so I went with it. Probably I shouldn't because I wanted to max her green instead but I did it anyway. Now it's 3/4/5. When I max her red power it only reduces the cost by 1 making it cost 5 instead of 6 in my case. When I'm using her, her red is usually the first power I use in a game because environmental tiles are plenty on the board then. 6 is still cheap, 2 normal matches does it. It does 19 damage per tile for me now and it destroys every environmental tile on the board if I haven't read it wrong, so it doesn't change the possibility of a cascade whether I max it or not.

    Red sets the board up for green power for more useful AP generation. That's right but it doesn't warrant maxing red. My level 27 does critical strike damage with max black power for several turns now combined with normal match damage which is pretty good. Another reason you don't need to max red is you don't get to use her red that often. When you used it for the first time in a game, it will be some time before you can use it again for some significant damage or better cascade possibility because there won't be a lot of environmental tiles for a while. In some games I used it only once because after using it only a few e. tiles were generated. Red at 4 is good enough. I don't remember how it was at 3 before I upgraded it.
  • 5/3/5 is the only logical build for Storm. As KevinMark said above, her red is really only useful one time and then probably won't be used again for the rest of the match. Her Green has to be at 5, period, because it's one of the most useful Greens in the game until Classic Storm comes along (and even then, Modern Storm's is usually cheaper and more reliable). Taking her Black to 5 gives you a great pre-Wolverine/Daken damage bonus that you will seriously appreciate during the 1-star and early 2-star stages of the game. If you're using her Red for damage, you're playing the game wrong.
  • 5/3/5 is the only logical build for Storm. As KevinMark said above, her red is really only useful one time and then probably won't be used again for the rest of the match. Her Green has to be at 5, period, because it's one of the most useful Greens in the game until Classic Storm comes along (and even then, Modern Storm's is usually cheaper and more reliable). Taking her Black to 5 gives you a great pre-Wolverine/Daken damage bonus that you will seriously appreciate during the 1-star and early 2-star stages of the game. If you're using her Red for damage, you're playing the game wrong.

    You are utterly and inconceivably wrong. Her red is one of the most useful in the 1* star range.

    You need to read the rest of the topic. Her red combos very well with her green. They will both chain together to cause lots of cascades.

    Secondly, this is the most important point. IF YOU ARE USING STRIKE TILES, YOU DO NOT NEED THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF ATTACK TILES! The bulk of the damage comes from the Strike Tiles, so even if you have JUST ONE ATTACK TILE, the damage will kick in. YOU DO NOT NEED 28 ATTACK TILES, EVEN JUST ONE WILL DO!

    Red and Green will combo each other. Black just gets destroyed when you use Red and Green.

    Her red is the logical choice. You need to read the rest of this topic, this has already been addressed.

    You are the one playing the game wrong. You are just plain wrong, period.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Her red is one of the most useful in the 1* star range.
    No.
    mechgouki wrote:
    You need to read the rest of the topic. Her red combos very well with her green. They will both chain together to cause lots of cascades.
    They still combo well with 5/3/5 build and still have the same chance to cause cascade. If I remember correctly there is no limit on how many e. tiles she can destroy at with 3 level red ability. It only upgrades damage.
    mechgouki wrote:
    Red and Green will combo each other. Black just gets destroyed when you use Red and Green.
    You are going to use red-green-black. In that order, genius. It is true every turn with matching gems the Hailstorm damage diminishes but it still does critical match damage or even more the first two turns after you use it most of the time. Sometimes it even lasts longer.
    mechgouki wrote:
    Her red is the logical choice. You need to read the rest of this topic, this has already been addressed.

    You are the one playing the game wrong. You are just plain wrong, period.
    icon_lol.gif
  • KevinMark wrote:
    They still combo well with 5/3/5 build and still have the same chance to cause cascade. If I remember correctly there is no limit on how many e. tiles she can destroy at with 3 level red ability. It only upgrades damage.

    Keyword being "if". I suggest you find out what the power actually does before you go shooting your mouth off.
    KevinMark wrote:
    You are going to use red-green-black. In that order, genius. It is true every turn with matching gems the Hailstorm damage diminishes but it still does critical match damage or even more the first two turns after you use it most of the time. Sometimes it even lasts longer.

    Stop pretending to know worth a damn, especially since you are the one who messed up your own build. You were just asking for advice on how to build her, and all of a sudden, you're the expert now?

    Yeah, 7 damage per tile is just critical. Wow. I'm shaking from the fear already.

    Far it be for me to tell me how much your play style sucks. Just please try not to recommend a build that is clearly flawed to others.
  • I found it out but was too lazy to post it here. See it here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=781 It only reduces AP costs, nothing else. No damage increase. It happens by leveling the character, not the skill.

    Yes, 32x7 is critical damage. In my case 32x4+match damage is still critical damage. Beats one or two use max red power in a game any day. Even if red costs cheaper than black power its use is restricted by environmental tile generation / drop in a given game.

    I'm sure I know better than you. You still think red is better or you want to think that because you maxed red. Maxing red power of Modern Storm is flawed build. If you cannot understand that, then I have nothing to talk to you.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    Beats one or two use max red power in a game any day.

    Are you really that clueless on how red functions? The damage is the side effect. The main function is the board changer. You combo Green with Red, changing the board, creating cascades, generating AP. That's the main function.
    KevinMark wrote:
    I'm sure I know better than you.

    You know tinykitty only.
    KevinMark wrote:
    You still think red is better or you want to think that because you maxed red.

    I maxxed red by intention. Unlike you, who made your build by accident, and you still think you actually have a clue as to what you are doing.
    KevinMark wrote:
    Maxing red power of Modern Storm is flawed build.

    You are just plain wrong. Which part of that don't you understand?
    KevinMark wrote:
    If you cannot understand that, then I have nothing to talk to you.

    Prioritizing black over red was a pretty dumb move. And even now, you still refuse to see that fact.

    I don't know how many ways I can explain this. You are wrong. Plain and simple.
  • I think this has changed into a war of words and walls of text for long enough. So I just have one more last thing to say.

    You be satisfied with your 5/3/5, 5/4/4 builds, and I'll be satisfied with my 5/5/3 build.

    To each his own. You think your build works for you, good. Who am I to tell you that your build is fail?

    Just stop telling people that 5/5/3 is a flawed build. Saying that this build is flawed is a completely false statement, totally untrue, baseless, and a pack of lies.

    You're free to use whatever build you want, just stop calling other combinations flawed. I personally guarantee 5/5/3 is a good build, but don't take my word for it.

    tldr
    to each his own
  • mechgouki wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    Beats one or two use max red power in a game any day.

    Are you really that clueless on how red functions? The damage is the side effect. The main function is the board changer. You combo Green with Red, changing the board, creating cascades, generating AP. That's the main function.
    No, I'm not. Black power is better than red for two reasons. One for the damage potential in a game, two leveling up red doesn't change the number of destroyed e. tiles. It always destroys all visible e. tiles on the screen. This is the important part for cascades not the damage as you also said but it doesn't change the fact that black has more damage potential also. Leveling red only reduces casting cost. Between level 3 and 5, there are the difference of cost is 2 red AP.

    I do not care what you call me, you keep living in bliss. Enjoy being on my ignore list.
  • Leveling red only reduces casting cost. Between level 3 and 5, there are the difference of cost is 2 red AP.

    Someone who can't tell the difference in advantages between 5AP costs and 7AP costs should seriously not be playing this game.

    Oh my god, whatever will I do. A clueless n00b who screwed up his own build while pretending to be an expert, has decided to stop responding to me. Boohoo. It's the end of the world.
  • Chill people. Let´s not forget that she is a 1* and you could easily assemble all her skill permutations while you wait for that blue spidermancover.
  • Sorry about that, unen. I got carried away.

    Truth is, 5/3/5 and 5/5/3 builds are both viable, and neither of them are actually failed. One loser started bashing on the 5/5/3 build, I got angry, so I bashed back instead.

    Everyone has a right to build his/her character the way he/she wants it. It is inconsiderate, not to mention stupid, to call someone "playing the game wrong" just because his/her style is different from yours. I'm equally guilty of the same thing by the way.

    5/3/5 and 5/5/3 builds are both survivable, and both viable. Neither of them are fail.

    Though I maintain my personal stand that 5/5/3 is the better choice because you can easily combo her red and green into chains and cascades.

    Bottomline, to each his own. No one should have the right to call someone else stupid for using a style or build different from his/her own.
  • MarcusGravesMarcusGraves Posts: 494 Mover and Shaker
    can't really agree with maxing out black, difference between rank 3 and rank 5 is 84 damage which is nothing, having red at 5 AP lets you use leftover reds into another ability like thor's or whoever faster. also while not always likely, if you happen to make a 4 match of red with another red somewhere in the line destroyed them bam instant 5 AP, fire away

    really though having environment tiles taking up any space on the board sucks because not only do the powers for them cost a lot and you get no damage for matching them, but they also also really inhibit damage on any cascades and color AP you would get from them, so if I can get rid of them for as cheap as possible i'm a happy camper.

    flexibility over damage in this case for me
  • Modern Storm's hailstorm attack has several advantages. (I have 2x Modern Storm at level 50, 5/5/3 and 5/3/5)
    1. Each tile is doing 7 damage per turn. If the board has 32 attack tiles, that's over 200 damage per turn.
    2. Strike tile damage bonus is added to the sum of the damage dealt by attack tiles. Level 85 wolverine single strike tile is +89. That's (7 * 32) + 89, or 313 damage. If you have one hailstorm attack tile that's 7 + 89, or 96 damage per turn. Not bad for not doing anything.
    3. Very few abilities can overwrite an attack tile. Many Abilities that add shield, strike, countdown, or change color can't use the tiles that are attack tiles. Classic Magneto (Blue), Captain America (Red and Blue), Bullseye (Black) just a couple abilities that can (that I can think of off-hand). Most other abilities can't modify attack tiles.
    4. If Modern Storm goes down, her attack tiles remain in play.
  • Bugpop, I think point number 2 has been brought out a few times. And I have to keep pointing out this. If you have one or 2 89 strike tiles, a single attack tile will do the job.

    In my honest opinion, you DON'T need the maximum number of attack tiles possible, if you are using Strike Tiles.
  • KelbrisKelbris Posts: 1,051
    edited January 2014
    5/3/5 is the only logical build for Storm.

    What? No it's not. You're silly.

    5/4/4 lets you use Red a turn early (assuming that you're not able to get a match 4 red, which it's safe to say happens >50%) at the cost of 8 attack tiles. At max level, that's 56 damage per turn, assuming that your attack tiles don't get nuked the first turn; anyone on offense (who knows what they're doing) is going to shred some tiles ASAP with a board clearer or a cascade. If you're using MoE intelligently, you're able to plan out crazy cascades that generate a good deal of AP in the first few turns of a match, which lets you take control of a battle's direction (kill off the stunner, stun someone, etc) and can let you get off a Hailstorm earlier.

    Red --> Green leads to more possible AP gain/damage from lack of EV tiles on the board.
    Green --> Red can produce extra EV tiles to get off that incredibly useful Thorned Rose. (You're playing on Jungle, right?)

    5/3/5 works, but it's not the "only logical build." Now, 5/5/3? Pretty silly. There isn't much benefit to having a 5 AP skill instead of a 6 unless it's massively powerful (like clap was). That's why 4/4/5 is so popular for Ares.

    Who the hell uses a term like "playing the game wrong?" There's no right way to play a game like this.
  • KelbrisKelbris Posts: 1,051
    KevinMark wrote:
    I'm sure I know better than you. You still think red is better or you want to think that because you maxed red. Maxing red power of Modern Storm is flawed build. If you cannot understand that, then I have nothing to talk to you.

    This is horrible debate etiquette. Stop that.

    If you're set on trying to convince people you're right, instead of actually discussing builds to try and make a consensus about which builds help you win matches faster and easier, you should rethink why you're on this board. If you know better than everyone, what's the point of discussing your amazing opinions with us? Are you being charitable?
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Bugpop, I think point number 2 has been brought out a few times. And I have to keep pointing out this. If you have one or 2 89 strike tiles, a single attack tile will do the job.

    In my honest opinion, you DON'T need the maximum number of attack tiles possible, if you are using Strike Tiles.

    I can't disagree with that. I wanted to see for myself how much more useful it would be to have 5/5 in hailstorm. When I use M.Storm, and I use her a lot, I don't often use her hailstorm. people take it for granted they spend 2 turns getting 6 red for thor (assuming no boosts) to do 1112 damage. With 4 strike tiles (easy to do, especially with boosts), it's easy to have a consistent 400-500 damage per turn.

    Note: Considering Ares, I'm not sure what kind of changes to expect with Thor and Wolverine. I think Ares would definately win in a 1 on 1 with Thor, as they stand now. It seems reasonable that Thor would be improved. Wolverine's strike tiles benefit cheap, weak attacks (I love Moltov Cocktail with strike tiles, the fun doesn't wear out, the subsequent attack tiles make it awesome). I wonder his strike tiles will be adjusted.
  • mags1587mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having played with both a 5/5/3 Storm and a 5/3/5 Storm, I have to say I personally prefer the 5/3/5 version. Practically speaking, when I'm playing I don't really use her red power more often at 5ap than I do at 7ap. Partially because I do wait a bit for the environmental tiles to build up on the board, but really, with her green, I'm never really lacking for ap, so I've never been 1 or 2 ap short of firing off her red power when I want to. Having 32 tiles at black level 5 vs 20 tiles at black level 3, though? I like having those extra 12 tiles. Every little bit helps and it takes that much longer to clear all of the tiles off the board.
This discussion has been closed.