* Storm (Modern) * [PRE 2014-07]

[anchor=storm1]Storm (Modern)[/anchor]
1 Star Rarity (Common) Discussion link
At Max Level: HP: 1620 Tile damage: 7/27/7/8/31/24
    Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP
    Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles. Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles. Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles. Level 5: Shatters 14 tiles.
      Mistress of the Elements - Red 9 AP
      Fierce winds swirl, sending heavy weights aloft and turning them against the enemy. Deals 3 damage for each Environment tile, then shatters them.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Costs 1 AP less. Level 3: Costs 1 AP less. Level 4: Costs 1 AP less. Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
      Max Level: 34 damage for each Environmental tile
        Hailstorm - Black 9 AP
        Ororo glares and dark clouds coalesce. Hailstones pelt the enemy, converting 16 basic tiles to Attack tiles.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Converts 18 tiles. Level 3: Converts 20 tiles. Level 4: Converts 24 tiles. Level 5: Converts 32 tiles.
        Max Level: 7 damage per Attack tile

Older Abilities:
          Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP
          Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles. Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles. Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles. Level 5: Shatters 16 tiles.

Original Post:
          Archjojo wrote:
          Marvel+Puzzle+Quest+-+1Marvel+Puzzle+Quest+-+1

Storm, Modern

10 AP - Lightning Strike - lvl 5: shatters 9 tiles

Usefull skill. It does damage, can clear timers if your lucky. generates AP for cleared tiles and can start chains doing more damage and generating more AP

9 AP - Mistress of the Elements
          - lvl 5: cost 1 AP less

Fierce winds swirl, sending heavy weights aloft and turning yhem against the enemy. Deals 3 damage for each Environmental tile, then shatter them.

Will generate AP for the elemental tiles shattered. and can cause chains for extra damage and more AP.

9 AP - Hailstorm - at lv 5: converts 18 tiles

Ororo glares and dark clouds coalesce. Hailstones pelt the enemy. Converting 16 basic tiles to attack tiles.

Drops 16 attack tiles that do 1 dmg each till they are cleared. If not cleared fast they can hurt over time.

Comments

• One of my favorite chars so far and I don't want to mess her up. I'm currently at 4* for all three of her abilities. I was just plugging 'em in before I knew about the cap. So now I can't decide which one is going to be 5*... So I've just been hanging onto a cover of each color and she's been at 4* for like a week. Anybody have any suggestions?

Red is cool because at 5* it only costs 5 AP. However its damage is dependent on how many environment tiles you have on the board. So I've pretty much eliminated that one cuz its dependability is too iffy.

Green is awesome for resetting the board and potentially instantly filling up on AP when you desperately need a particular color. And at 5* it shatters 16 tiles!

Black is what I'm leaning towards because the cost is decently low. I usually am able to get Hailstorm off twice in a match and that's a lot of damage. Usually the entire board ends up just fists. But that's a DoT versus Lightning Strike's instant damage. So I'm vacillating between green and black, black and green, back and forth, sigh.

So, yeah, any suggestions? What have you chosen? Thanks!
          • Green all the way. Generates a bunch of free AP, resets a clogged board, and potentially combos into cascades. If I would have started from scratch I would have gone 5/5/3.
          • Twanbon wrote:
            Green all the way. Generates a bunch of free AP, resets a clogged board, and potentially combos into cascades. If I would have started from scratch I would have gone 5/5/3.

Hard to say that 5/5/3 is best since red is quite a common skill. So, if you use red a lot on your team already, it may be better to pump it into black 5/3/5. I'm actually quite on the fence on how far to take red/black with her. I'm leaning a touch towards 5/3/5 though. (having her red at 5AP vs 6AP vs 7AP - having her black convert 20 tiles vs 24 vs 32)
          • Yeah, 5/3/5 is almost the best way to go. There are plenty of other teammates to pair her with that have far more reliable/devastating red attacks. Black is rare outside of villains, and many villain black attacks are expensive on AP. Filling the screen with Storm's attack tiles is nice gravy damage to tack onto your foes every turn, which I feel outweighs her red power.
          • Yeah, 5/3/5 is almost the best way to go. There are plenty of other teammates to pair her with that have far more reliable/devastating red attacks. Black is rare outside of villains, and many villain black attacks are expensive on AP. Filling the screen with Storm's attack tiles is nice gravy damage to tack onto your foes every turn, which I feel outweighs her red power.

I agree with the 5 in green. I'm not so sure whether it should be 5/4/4 or 5/3/5. My (limited) experience in PvP thus far has been to win the 'Storm war'. You will need to go off before the opponent's Storm. Using the red ability at 4 means it's a 6 cost vs a 7 cost, which is an entire turn outside of boosts. However the same point can be made for getting Hailstorm off first as well. I think the text reads 'convert basic tiles' so the later Hailstorm would have a lot less tiles to convert.

Just my 2c. Cheers
          • I ended up going black. I was going to go green, but I must have sold it or something because I couldn't find it in my covers. I didn't feel like waiting around hoping to get another one icon_razz.gif So far so good with black! 4/4/5
          • I'm new to this game and I really like Modern Storm. It seems her green power will be the most useful so I am going to max that out if I am able. I have a couple of other questions regarding her other powers I am hoping someone can help me...

1. Does her red power generate environmental AP when it shatters those tiles?
            1A. Does the damage per tile increase as she goes up in level?

2. Does the damage per tile on her black attack tiles go up as she goes up in level?

3. Elsewhere in this forum I read something about an effective combo using her Green/red powers, could someone explain the strategy to me?

I'd really appreciate any insight; thank you!
          • Yes to all.

Green and red both have a tendency to cause cascades, which can be really nasty.
          • New Mutant wrote:
            I'm new to this game and I really like Modern Storm. It seems her green power will be the most useful so I am going to max that out if I am able. I have a couple of other questions regarding her other powers I am hoping someone can help me...

1. Does her red power generate environmental AP when it shatters those tiles?
            1A. Does the damage per tile increase as she goes up in level?

2. Does the damage per tile on her black attack tiles go up as she goes up in level?

3. Elsewhere in this forum I read something about an effective combo using her Green/red powers, could someone explain the strategy to me?

I'd really appreciate any insight; thank you!

3. Red ability grabs the elemental tiles. There is a chance of a match when those tiles are shattered. There can be multiple matches, and cascading matches (tiles that shatter causing tiles to fall in their place, resulting in another match). Green ability shatters 8-16 tiles on the board (get AP and do tile damage). Afterwards this results in a chance of a match, and cascading matches.

This results in a lot of AP generation
          • @ Misguided & Bugpop - much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what do you think is a better build to maximize Storm's cascade/AP generation. Is it 5Green/5Red/3Black?
          • New Mutant wrote:
            @ Misguided & Bugpop - much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what do you think is a better build to maximize Storm's cascade/AP generation. Is it 5Green/5Red/3Black?

That's my preference. I prefer modern storm to classic storm, specifically for her red/green abilities. classic storm has a similar green ability but doesn't have the red.
          • Bugpop wrote:
            New Mutant wrote:
            @ Misguided & Bugpop - much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what do you think is a better build to maximize Storm's cascade/AP generation. Is it 5Green/5Red/3Black?

That's my preference. I prefer modern storm to classic storm, specifically for her red/green abilities. classic storm has a similar green ability but doesn't have the red.

5/3/5 the damage from e.tile is too low. chance for cascade is too random.based on luck. max modern storm can delivered 135 damage per turn.

to compare modern storm to classic storm is like to compare a soldier to general. and u must be read a lot of people complain about cstorm efficiency to finish the round in a couple turn. no 3star character, even maxed can finish the enemy quickly.
          • New Mutant wrote:

I always say it's matter of personal preference. I went 5/3/5, because there are many other good red skill and thus I find myself rarely using Storm's red.
          • Bugpop wrote:
            New Mutant wrote:

5/3/5 the damage from e.tile is too low. chance for cascade is too random.based on luck. max modern storm can delivered 135 damage per turn.

to compare modern storm to classic storm is like to compare a soldier to general. and u must be read a lot of people complain about cstorm efficiency to finish the round in a couple turn. no 3star character, even maxed can finish the enemy quickly.

I have a tendency to go off topic. I use a maxed c.storm for her green now because she has better survivability. The raging tempest helps when I get hit hard (really hard because I don't use the bait and wait strategy). The blue can be really useful
          • I went with Green 5, Red 5, Black 3, and I never regretted it once.

I must admit, I was initially torn between having 20 DOT tiles and 5AP board changer, and 28 DOT tiles and turn Red to a skill that I will never use. But finally, I went with Red.

Now I have to say this. Red is the logical choice.

5 AP for a board changer is really cheap and efficient. The damage is a plus. The main function is changing the board, giving me chances of cascades.

The DOT (damage over time) is nice no doubt. But it won't be as effective as a single damage hit, and is best used with Strike Tiles. Don't get me wrong, Hailstorm is still a good skill. 9 AP for DOT is not bad, but it's not a killer when you need the target down right away.

In addition, I found that pairing a Strike Tiles character, such as Daken, is really effective with her. A cheap spam of 2 Mistress is better than 1 Repulsor.

Of course, the Hailstorm works even better with Strike Tiles. But 20 tiles or 28 tiles (correct me if I got the number wrong), will not matter to the Attack tiles. Basically, even if you have just 1 DOT tile, the Strike tile does all the rest. Besides, even if you can get 28 tiles, it just means more of them will be cleared, by the opponent, and by yourself.

All these are moot points when you compare to 2 star and above characters. But as far as commons go, I have to say, Red is the logical choice for her.
          • Katai
            Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
            I went 5/5/3. I find that her Black skill conflicts with the other two.

Green is bread and butter. Mainly to generate AP and shuffle the field. I still use this over Classic Storm's version (10ap to pop 16 tiles vs 12ap to pop 12 tiles unless you have more green in reserve)

Red is less used, but has its uses. At 5AP, it's a really cheap skill. Although it fights against better red skills, I find nice opportunities for it. Clearing environment tiles makes her green more effective at getting useful AP. It has a chance to cascade. It can be used to setup 4 or 5-matches. Sometimes you need that extra bit of environment AP to cast Thorns or drop a Crit tile (spending 5 red ap to get 5 ap of every color is fantastic). It can really turn the game around

Black conflicts with both skills, though. Green clears a bunch of tiles, which will destroy the attack tiles. Red can cause cascades, which also destroy attack tiles. Black is the skill you cast at the end of every turn, and I found that I have 20 black AP by the end anyway, which is enough to cast it twice and fill the map. It's great if you pair it up with Wolverine or Daken, but then you would refrain from using her green as often as you should.
          • I have to agree, her Red is far more useful than people give it credit for.

I am tired of listening to people say that there are far better Red skills to use. Exactly who are you comparing her with? If you are comparing her with a higher rarity character, like Thor or Ragnarok, then yeah, they do have better Red skills. But if you compare her Red with someone on the same rarity, like IM35 or Hawkeye, her Red skill is starting to look a lot more useful.

And I have to say, the damage is the side effect. The main effect is the board changer.

Oh, btw. Team her up with Modern Black Widow and Venom. Watch the infinite combos fly.
          • Ronfar
            Ronfar Posts: 150
            I messed up and went 4/5/4 before I realized there was a power cap. She still kicked plenty of **** though; all of her powers are great, so even a suboptimal Storm is still powerful for a 1* character.
          • I accidentally leveled up her red to 4. Now my build is 3/4/4. What do you suggest I should make my final build? I really like both green and black powers. Red is pretty sweet as well but it doesn't warrant fully upgrading as she really doesn't need it that often. Final level gives 1 cost reduction making it a 5 AP power.
          • KevinMark wrote:
            I accidentally leveled up her red to 4. Now my build is 3/4/4. What do you suggest I should make my final build? I really like both green and black powers. Red is pretty sweet as well but it doesn't warrant fully upgrading as she really doesn't need it that often. Final level gives 1 cost reduction making it a 5 AP power.

I think you need to re-read the rest of the topic. Most of us have already given our reasons why Red is the preferred choice over black.

That said, her green is the strongest. If you don't want to rebuild (which is actually very easy for a common character, but you can do it later anyway), go for 5/4/4.

I will forever argue that her black is not as important as her red. That's just the way it is.
          This discussion has been closed.