Minor Board Update 03/19/14

Options

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Twysta wrote:
    I'm going to go back a few months and rep up that guy who registered as BaconMagic and made a thread.
    It's long overdue.
    I never did get around to tracking down who did that. Kudos to whoever it was.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So... was musing around with the idea of starting a thread dedicated for people to upvote each other so we can all pass the 25 rep needed to downvote people icon_twisted.gif, but I think I'm going to wuss out. Wouldn't object to anyone else starting it though (and having IceIX promptly closing it). Probably would belong nicely in the Off-Topic forum though.
    And that's why we can't have nice things icon_lol.gif

(But seriously, most of the other forums I went to disabled downvotes because of the possibility of drama)
  • IceIX
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    (But seriously, most of the other forums I went to disabled downvotes because of the possibility of drama)
    Sure, but then it just turns into a karma contest with people with high rep building a fanbase of some type. At least this way when someone outright trolls someone else, the community can block that post off from being seen normally (and report it separately as well). That's not really doable without downvoting, or by modifying the report system that it does the same after so many reports.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Sure, but then it just turns into a karma contest with people with high rep building a fanbase of some type. At least this way when someone outright trolls someone else, the community can block that post off from being seen normally (and report it separately as well). That's not really doable without downvoting, or by modifying the report system that it does the same after so many reports.
    /quickly hides his IceIX shrine
  • IceIX
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Now you've got me wondering what that would actually entail... I'm imagining some kind of tiered shelf plastered with dot matrix printouts of various quotes from the forums. Maybe a copy of
    Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, spine broken from use, pages well worn sitting off kilter leaned up against the base.
  • Really didn't take you long, did it Ice? What was it... three days ago that you had said you had access to the phbb code?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Now you've got me wondering what that would actually entail... I'm imagining some kind of tiered shelf plastered with dot matrix printouts of various quotes from the forums. Maybe a copy of
    Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, spine broken from use, pages well worn sitting off kilter leaned up against the base.

You have forgotten the candles. Every shrine nees well burned candles, possibly scented.
  • Maybe Ice could add the phpbb arcade next for people waiting for their health packs to regen.

Erm I think I was kidding icon_e_wink.gif
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Has anyone done the most evil thing possible yet? I.e., have your alliance upvote all of your posts in an alliance thread until everyone gets 25 reputation, then hijack another alliance thread and downvote everything?

Note: I have NOT done this and (probably) won't, just wondering if we're going to get some reputation wars between vicious alliances.
  • radiopy wrote:
    Has anyone done the most evil thing possible yet? I.e., have your alliance upvote all of your posts in an alliance thread until everyone gets 25 reputation, then hijack another alliance thread and downvote everything?

Note: I have NOT done this and (probably) won't, just wondering if we're going to get some reputation wars between vicious alliances.

Let's hope the community is mature enough to use this fine feature for the purpose it stands: reducing noise and make it easier to get the relevant info in forum.

On some board I forgot there was a game you could attack others and there were levels, potions and so on -- we should rather add that if the above behavior surfaces so the post ratings stay in its original function.
  • In Character discussion group I see rating numbers but no +1 buttons.
  • IceIX
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    In Character discussion group I see rating numbers but no +1 buttons.
    Whoops, my mistake. Fixededed.
  • Ok, it seems pretty clear to me that this new reputation system doesn't add anything positive to proceedings, if people are just going to go round adding a bunch of -1s on posts. Just because they don't like the poster. I don't really see what that achieves, on any level.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think that's an anomalous case for the most part.
    And most people are using it properly, I think it was designed to in the long term be used to counter spam like all that kitchen malarky.
    #The way some threads are going though they should probably get locked for everyone's sanity.
  • It sounds like overextending. I spotted only a single person with said behavior, and guess it will get boring soon enough.

It takes some time for the system (and people) to mature.
  • Twysta wrote:
    I think that's an anomalous case for the most part.
    And most people are using it properly, I think it was designed to in the long term be used to counter spam like all that Intergalactic Space Vessel malarky.
    #The way some threads are going though they should probably get locked for everyone's sanity.

Quite. You don't half have to sift through some dross to get to the useful stuff icon_rolleyes.gif
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The system sorts itself out as long as such people are in the minority. As others have said, they'll probably get bored soon enough.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Quite. You don't half have to sift through some dross to get to the useful stuff icon_rolleyes.gif

In the control panel there are lists of friends&foes. Never tried the feature but is might be useful to personalize elimination or dimming of unwanted content. (Whoever tries it is welcome to tell the experience)
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    From what I've heard, it replaces the post with a generic message about that person being a foe instead of their normal post, and then you could choose to see it or not. I haven't tried it, though.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

In the control panel there are lists of friends&foes. Never tried the feature but is might be useful to personalize elimination or dimming of unwanted content. (Whoever tries it is welcome to tell the experience)

Yeah, I've used that before. I end up clicking the little link to show the message half the time, curiosity killed the cat and all that icon_e_smile.gif