Minor Board Update 03/19/14

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Going to try to do any update here in a few for a board feature that may take the boards down for a few minutes if everything explodes in a fiery ball of lava and I have to restore things. Or it may work perfectly and you won't see anything change. I'll post more once it's done with what the new feature is.

Edit: It's live.

We've updated the forums to enable a Reputation system for users and posts.

Every post has a Thumbs Up/Down that you can click for it. Clicking will give the user associated with that post a reputation point and raise that post's status overall. Users can be rated directly by clicking their names and rating them in their profiles as well.

At 25 points, a post will be highlighted
At -5 points, a post will be hidden and need to be clicked to view
You must have 25 reputation points as a user before you can hand out downvotes

Having positive or negative personal user reputation does not do anything in particular, it's just a number. There's no auto-promoting or auto-warning/banning as a result of this system. The intent is to give something fun for users to do with posts and to weed out some of the poor/useless posts at the outset. Flipping up values in the system is pretty easy to do so if something isn't working, we can always alter it fairly easily.

Comments

• Could we also get notes on what today's patch was all about?
  • IceIX
    Options
    Could we also get notes on what today's patch was all about?
    Nothing user facing, some setup stuff for the next PVE event. Here's an example of a note from today's perforce checkin on the patch:
    DEV: (no in-game change): Integrate Iso-8 pricing variations from CL 189186 into R49-R51.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yup, it broke icon_e_smile.gif
  • Why are all of the post waiting approval!?
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    Looks [censored] so far!
  • IceIX
    Options
    Well, that didn't work. Or at least, didn't do what it did on the test forums.

Sigh. Back to the drawing board! You can kind of see what it was supposed to do now though if you look to the right.
  • Reputation! Yay, yay, yay!
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    Yay, a reputation system!
  • IceIX, can we get the Tournaments and Events subforum, as well as Marvel Universe subforum?
  • IceIX
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    IceIX, can we get the Tournaments and Events subforum, as well as Marvel Universe subforum?
    Marvel Universe is kind of held by the Off Topic. Tournaments and Events I can do. Just worried about major spillover into this forum anyway, as you see with plenty of Feedback/bug threads that start here and I don't move since people find them useful.

Which does bring to mind another mod that I'm going to try to get running that auto-messages when a thread is moved/deleted so that people don't think a thread vanished and just remake it. Or PM me for being evil and deleting their thread.
  • Fireball of firehelldoomkitty? not if Appliance Man can help it!

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Looks like things are working so far, IceIX. I appreciate forum ranks. I wonder if it can correlate to ingame somehow...
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Heh. The D3 logo has been replaced by a phpBB one.
  • IceIX
    Options
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Heh. The D3 logo has been replaced by a phpBB one.
    Yeah, I'll fix that when I fix whatever messed up on update in the first place. I just used the backup config files which didn't specify the icon is all. Small potatoes. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I like what you are doing.
  • With this new thing where can I make sure that a thread containing both 'nerf' and 'OBW' turns into that 'waiting approval' what will never happen?
  • IceIX
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    With this new thing where can I make sure that a thread containing both 'nerf' and 'OBW' turns into that 'waiting approval' what will never happen?
    Well, you couldn't do that offhand, but your post could get enough negatives that it'd be hidden. Kinda the same thing.
  • IceIX wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    With this new thing where can I make sure that a thread containing both 'nerf' and 'OBW' turns into that 'waiting approval' what will never happen?
    Well, you couldn't do that offhand, but your post could get enough negatives that it'd be hidden. Kinda the same thing.

Was just kidding/sarcastic. There was a dump of related threads for one day...

So we're getting stack-exchangized? Will be interesting for sure.
  • IceIX
    Options
    And... we're on. Reputation is now enabled for both users and posts. I'll edit the top post with more info and the News/Announcement thread with same.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    And... we're on. Reputation is now enabled for both users and posts. I'll edit the top post with more info and the News/Announcement thread with same.

Is reputation an integer only system or can I one day achieve a reputation of i?
  • So how do we give or recieve reputation exactly? Never been on a board with it - or am I jumping the gun and that is exactly what you are about to cover in your news post? icon_razz.gif