Iso Exploit: What Should D3 Do?

Comments

• Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Where's do nothing? Why would this matter? ISO doesn't affect how you do relative to others, coordination and timing do.

Couldn't disagree more. 870k ISO is over a month's worth of playing for hardcore players, over two months of playing for more casual players. Doing nothing gives everyone who happens to have multiple accounts a free fast-forward button with the rarest currency in the game.

But how does that hurt you? D3 is the wronged party, because people got things without "paying" for them (Either in time, money, or other means). D3 made the mistake; they are the only ones harmed; why would players want any punishment done?

Note I have not benefited from this bug, I'm just saying. How can people complain when someone gets more free stuff then they did? You still got free stuff just be happy.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I've been wanting a sandboxed account for a long time, and have never figured out how to get one, so...
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    the worse punishment they could ever hand out

Make them play the game

")

really though they wont do a thing to them.....
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Where's do nothing? Why would this matter? ISO doesn't affect how you do relative to others, coordination and timing do.

Couldn't disagree more. 870k ISO is over a month's worth of playing for hardcore players, over two months of playing for more casual players. Doing nothing gives everyone who happens to have multiple accounts a free fast-forward button with the rarest currency in the game.

But how does that hurt you? D3 is the wronged party, because people got things without "paying" for them (Either in time, money, or other means). D3 made the mistake; they are the only ones harmed; why would players want any punishment done?

Note I have not benefited from this bug, I'm just saying. How can people complain when someone gets more free stuff then they did? You still got free stuff just be happy.
    I agree with this. If we were talking about CP, or the LT exploit then I would be upset as those things give a real advantage, but for the most someone getting a month's worth of ISO might as well just mean that they started playing a month sooner. It's really indiscernible to me.
  • You want to give the reward again, so everyone that exploited gets even more? Lol,sounds like someone exploited.

As far as the extra iso doing nothing, that is simply not true. An iso starved player base suddenly has enough to level multiple characters in a day, when it would normally take months. That is great in a one time bonus world but with double-plus... it is not fine at all.

As far as the gentlemens wife thinking that 200,000 is 200, I hope it is he that controls the family finances... not that the story is believable in any way. How much accumulated time have you looked at your iso count in contempt? One knows exactly how much iso they have.

As far as progress lost because of a roll back, it sucks to lose a couple days effort but it pales in comparrison to the opposition gaining multiple months of effort illegitimately. We will survive and so will the cheaters.

I wonder how many times those championing for anything but a roll back claimed their bonus. Where is that poll?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You want to give the reward again, so everyone that exploited gets even more? Lol,sounds like someone exploited.

As far as the extra iso doing nothing, that is simply not true. An iso starved player base suddenly has enough to level multiple characters in a day, when it would normally take months. That is great in a one time bonus world but with double-plus... it is not fine at all.

As far as the gentlemens wife thinking that 200,000 is 200, I hope it is he that controls the family finances... not that the story is believable in any way. How much accumulated time have you looked at your iso count in contempt? One knows exactly how much iso they have.

As far as progress lost because of a roll back, it sucks to lose a couple days effort but it pales in comparrison to the opposition gaining multiple months of effort illegitimately. We will survive and so will the cheaters.

I wonder how many times those championing for anything but a roll back claimed their bonus. Where is that poll?
    It's not as great an advantage as you think. My current iso debt is 6.8 MILLION, even if I installed on one of my old devices to double my SHIELD iso, I'd still be 6 million short

They could quadruple the iso bonus and people would still be millions short
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    The only fair thing is to give everyone double.

Yep. I can't vote in this poll since that's not one of the options. Double up those that didn't get to use the exploit. That way everyone is even!
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I almost logged into my phone and would have been one of the un?lucky ones who put themselves in the crosshairs accidentally. I wish this hadn't happened because I doubt they will take anything back from anyone but the most malicious who did it a bunch of times and I doubt they will punish somebody who got it twice because of logging in to two devices. I also doubt they will give us honest players a double dip to be fair. So I'm left thinking I'm going to be left feeling like a schmuck for not cheating. I think this is a situation where the nice guys will finish last and the cheaters win. But also the accidentals of which I was almost one which I'm glad I wasn't, but I also really kinda wish I had been....just not a good feeling. Iso is so damn rare it makes you want to do stupid things that you know you shouldn't do. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    I think they should remove the extra iso from those people that did the exploit, any characters levelled up should have the levels returned to what they were before they were increased them with the iso exploit. Maybe even remove them from any event they are in just to make sure they are not taking advantage.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    The only fair thing is to give everyone double.

Yep. I can't vote in this poll since that's not one of the options. Double up those that didn't get to use the exploit. That way everyone is even!

Option 3 is punish those that did it 3 times or more, and give everyone double iso.
  • superho
    superho Posts: 17
    I think they should give everyone that didn't cheat (intentionally or not) 300 CP
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do a full leaderboard reset. Put everyone back to 0, even people who hadn't used the exploit, it's the only way to be sure.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I honestly think the fairest way to fix it is, if possible, remove excess iso from those who received it but haven't spent it without a rollback. I don't know if they can do that but that way it is simple and fair and those players don't lose any progress. For those players who spent all or some of the excess iso, they will need to be rolled back but for goodwill, they could be compensated with a small amount of iso, tokens and a cover or two (maybe a new Spiderwoman) since almost all will be complaining about how unfair it is when (even though I believe they should have known better). Finally, the real cheaters who did actually use this bug as an exploit should simply be sandboxed and allowed to only play with others like themselves.

Everyday they wait though makes it even more difficult for a rollback to occur without those players losing even more progress.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Players who in good faith use two devices and through no fault of their own received & spent the double ISO have no reason to be punished. Demiurge's poor sync code is to blame here.

The only fair solution is to provide the double ISO to those of us who do not play on two devices (in my case, because I long ago realized the sync code was **** and decided to no longer risk fouling up my account because of it!), and sandbox / rollback anyone who got triple (or more) ISO.

The total ISO required to max-level the entire spectrum of 3*/4*/5* is somewhere north of 20 million, and grows with every new character release. An extra one-time 2.5% of that to each single-device player is hardly going to break that.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

I agree with this. If we were talking about CP, or the LT exploit then I would be upset as those things give a real advantage, but for the most someone getting a month's worth of ISO might as well just mean that they started playing a month sooner. It's really indiscernible to me.
    really don't understand those that say double or triple dipping isn't changing anything or providing an unfair advantage. it was clearly intended to be provided once to everyone, but implementation isn't these guys' strong suit. iso and 5* covers are the only things that improve my roster. having another 2-3 4* champs or leveling some of the more usable 5*s that might be ready for some will definitely provide advantages. advantages like this week where I'm using unboosted rulk instead of a boosted/champed carnage. advantages in LRs where I could make use of a 330 5tark. dumping an extra month of iso makes an enormous difference. a second helping would allow me to start on tier 3 of the 4*s and put some into 5tark. nearly everything on my "I'd really like to do that" list.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Warbringa wrote:
    I honestly think the fairest way to fix it is, if possible, remove excess iso from those who received it but haven't spent it without a rollback. I don't know if they can do that but that way it is simple and fair and those players don't lose any progress. For those players who spent all or some of the excess iso, they will need to be rolled back but for goodwill, they could be compensated with a small amount of iso, tokens and a cover or two (maybe a new Spiderwoman) since almost all will be complaining about how unfair it is when (even though I believe they should have known better). Finally, the real cheaters who did actually use this bug as an exploit should simply be sandboxed and allowed to only play with others like themselves.

Everyday they wait though makes it even more difficult for a rollback to occur without those players losing even more progress.

I agree with this solution. Just that everyone gets reward iso and tokens to make up for this fiasco. For the roll back people, it is compensation. For the people who didn't exploit it or use the iso, it is a reward for being honest and knowing/seeing there was a bug.
  • IFORANI
    IFORANI Posts: 91
    I don't know about everyone but I'm speaking for myself. If I recieved a large amount of iso8s then spent them on roster on one device. Then logged on another device and recieved same amount of iso8s I would realize 1st red flag. Then I would check roster and noticed that I still had changes from previously spending iso8s that's the 2nd red flag. Therefore I wouldn't spend iso8s and issue a ticket.

Not because I believe that morality of honesty but I have commonsense. I will be punished for exploiting a mistake by devs. Yes not my fault but I'm a normal intelligent human being and therefore I know right from wrong. I don't believe the "I didn't know" answer. Hard to forget spending a large amount of iso8s. Besides I believe in karma.

I guess commonsense isn't common.

As for punishment not my circus not my monkey. Imo
  • MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    For me, personally, I honestly don't care how they "fix" the problem. Whether it is roll backs, extra ISO for those that did not do it, or nothing at all. The only thing I would like to see is for D3 to admit that this was bad coding on their end rather than some new bug that worked its way in and was "exploited" by the player base. Even though I only play on a single device, and have no dog in this fight, I was still offended that they pushed the blame onto the player base rather than placing it where it belonged.

- Croaker
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2016
    I notified support right away.

This notion that I should be sandboxed, no matter what, is utter stupidity. Here's why. For the LONGEST TIME, if an update was available, you were unable to launch the game without being notified of an update, and being redirected to the app store / play store. That didn't happen. THAT IS NOT MY FAULT.

You can shout that exploiters should be removed, but you'd be none better if the very few of us WERE actually removed. You'd still suck; still won't be a whale. You still won't be the cream of the crop.

And this pittance of ISO (let's be honest) won't make me the best, either, not even after 1040 days played.
  • Gwythian
    Gwythian Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I believe that the fact that they acknowledged that there are unintentional beneficiaries of this bug (because that's what it is) shows that D3 knows it's not being exploited by a lot of people. An exploit comes when a player knowingly takes advantage of a bug.

The bug is the fault of D3. In my opinion, they have every right to fix that bug. They have every right to modify the game to the way they think it's fair to everyone. But the bug is on D3.

If players knowingly used the bug to gain ISO, then that's an exploit. In my opinion, if the user signed on the same devices that they use on a daily basis and the bug occurred, then that's not the fault of the player. It's a bug, it's the fault of the developer. Now, you could argue SPENDING the ISO by the player is dishonest, but it's not what I would define as an exploit. The exploit is using the bug to generate more ISO. How the ISO is spent has nothing to do with the bug/exploit. Therefore, punishing the use of the ISO doesn't make much sense unless you can prove that the bug was used by an exploiter.

The exploiters and developers are to blame in this scenario. The developers for the creation of the bug, the exploiters for using devices that they've not signed into the game on previously to exploit the ISO gain.

I'm sure D3 can track devices that have logged into the game in the last 60 days, year, etc. If they see new devices, or devices that haven't been used in a long time, suddenly appearing and accepting ISO, that's an exploiter, and in my opinion, they absolutely should be sandboxed.

If you used the same devices you always do, and the ISO popped up, that's on the developers, not you. If you used more devices than you usually do to exploit the bug, then I believe your account should be sandboxed.

As for doubling the ISO to everyone else, I don't care either way. You could call it "fair", but really it's just appeasement by D3. D3 would see it as another huge loss of opportunity for cash though, so the idea that they would give more away I think is a little unlikely.

I think the most likely scenario is that new device accounts will get sandboxed and everything else will stay as it is. I think a rollback is really unlikely as it really messes with "legal" iso gain, progression, covers gained, etc. Also keep in mind that the more they do, the higher their cost is for the bug. The simplest and easiest "fix" will likely be used, not necessarily the most fair.