Iso Exploit: What Should D3 Do?

killerkoala
killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
What should D3 do? Last Option might mess those who accidentally did it and spent all iso and now can't iso level characters till debt is paid.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    My wife plays on multiple devices and last night I told her to log in for a nice little surprise. When she logged in she looked at the screen and said "what is this shield rank? And how did I get these 229 and 500 ISO bonuses?" I had to explain to her that she got over 200K ISO. She didn't realize. She could have very easily logged on with her other device, gotten the same reward, and then spent it without ever realizing she had taken advantage of an exploit.

It was too easy for the vast majority of the casual player base to inadvertently abuse this exploit, and therefore unfair to punish those who did so with sandboxing.

This was a problem with LTs for a LONG time and they were able to fix it. They should have checked for this problem before launching and so I think D3 punishing the players for their own mistake would be horrible. If people still have the double ISO they were given they should have to give it back. If it has already been spent.....oh well. For the players such as myself that only play on one device and weren't able to take advantage.....bummer. I'm happy with the 800k ISO that I did get, and don't at all feel handicapped because a handful of players got twice what I did.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    My wife plays on multiple devices and last night I told her to log in for a nice little surprise. When she logged in she looked at the screen and said "what is this shield rank? And how did I get these 229 and 500 ISO bonuses?" I had to explain to her that she got over 200K ISO. She didn't realize. She could have very easily logged on with her other device, gotten the same reward, and then spent it without ever realizing she had taken advantage of an exploit.

It was too easy for the vast majority of the casual player base to inadvertently abuse this exploit, and therefore unfair to punish those who did so with sandboxing.

This was a problem with LTs for a LONG time and they were able to fix it. They should have checked for this problem before launching and so I think D3 punishing the players for their own mistake would be horrible. If people still have the double ISO they were given they should have to give it back. If it has already been spent.....oh well. For the players such as myself that only play on one device and weren't able to take advantage.....bummer. I'm happy with the 800k ISO that I did get, and don't at all feel handicapped because a handful of players got twice what I did.

But they never "fixed" the underlying problem. The exploit is the same exploit that keeps popping up. What they have done is get better at figuring out who is doing it maliciously and not maliciously. With that said, many of the malicious ones are also some of the guys that spend a decent chunk of change on this game and will not get punished. So here we are with the same exploit, that almost destroyed our confidence in the development team, continuing to cause problems.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should take away all those 5* covers and sandbox the players that manipulated the system to get them.

Oh wait...they never (widely) did that, you were asking about another exploit and expectations of some sort of across-the-board action to be done about it....
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    Wouldn't rolling back also make them lose all their progress from PVE events and the latest crash of the titans? Assuming they are able to do this within a day ?
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    So here is a stupid question... I didn't think the same account could be used on multiple devices... I use my iPhone for the game and I tried to use the same account on my pc and it didn't have a "log in" function

PS there should be another option above... Give those that haven't exploited the same benefit... For example if the worst culprit did it 3 times then pay me 2 more times (edit: just realised similar is there Doh!)

Balance the playing field

And if it's the same people doing it maliciously then name and shame D3 who cares how much they spend... If I scroll through and calculated my spend it ain't peanuts
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rollback accounts that suddenly logged into multiple devices for this release. Do nothing else.
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Where's do nothing? Why would this matter? ISO doesn't affect how you do relative to others, coordination and timing do.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    The only fair thing is to give everyone double.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let them have around 100,000, then put them in debt until the make all the ISO that they won. You can't give them negative ISO, because then they can't do simple things like spend 10 ISO to skip people in PVP.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Where's do nothing? Why would this matter? ISO doesn't affect how you do relative to others, coordination and timing do.

Couldn't disagree more. 870k ISO is over a month's worth of playing for hardcore players, over two months of playing for more casual players. Doing nothing gives everyone who happens to have multiple accounts a free fast-forward button with the rarest currency in the game.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    madsalad wrote:
    The only fair thing is to give everyone double.

Agreed. It's probably also the easiest from a developer standpoint. Trying to weed through all those who spent their ISO sounds like a nightmare. Make sure everyone gets double, sandbox or investigate those who did this 3 or more times, and be done with it.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    best solution I've heard. from another thread:
    My buddy came up with a fantastic solution for this:

Figure out who got the reward twice exactly. Leave them alone.
    Figure out who got the reward exactly once. Gift them the reward again.
    Figure out who got the reward more than twice. Investigate and possibly (probably) punish them.

Everyone is happy. You don't have to revert 2-3 days of changes, nor weed through hours and hours of logs to figure out how to revert the account of all the people that accidentally triggered it.
    The guilty are punished, the unlucky (who triggered it) aren't punished, and the (unlucky?) who didn't trigger it get a bonus. Win/Win for the honest.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:

Figure out who got the reward more than twice. Investigate and possibly (probably) punish them.

Everyone is happy. You don't have to revert 2-3 days of changes, nor weed through hours and hours of logs to figure out how to revert the account of all the people that accidentally triggered it.
    The guilty are punished, the unlucky (who triggered it) aren't punished, and the (unlucky?) who didn't trigger it get a bonus. Win/Win for the honest.

Love it.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:

that is option 3
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    that is option 3
    I think 3 is better than 4 because by the time this gets figured out, those who stumbled into the bug would probably miss the cmags pvp, 2-3 days of ddq, including the LT from crash, and several days of pve and LRs. that's a huuuuge hit for stumbling into a bug.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rolling back is never a simple answer. Especially with a game that cycles events non-stop. All progress in pvp or pve would disappear simply because the update unchecked the "sync with facebook" option and the server got confused when different mobile devices connected. Also, those that pulled LT's with their CP or cashed in their LT tokens and happened to luck into the covers they wanted... especially 5* luck, would be penalized and have to pull again, and likely not get the same lucky draws.

Why some things sync and other things don't is also screwy. If it didn't sync and record that it gave you the bonus ISO, how did it sync and say that you have the bonus iso in your iso stash? Shouldn't it show your old Iso balance, old roster, etc? Why partial syncing?

Better if D3 actually had you log into their servers with a user id and pw, and then you are syncing with them everytime you load the game on a device, or if D3 server notices your credentials reaching out from a different device, it can sync, then log you out of the other device and force a login to the new one with the data it just synced. You should not be able to have two devices logged into the same profile at the same time.

Anyway, rollback is not the answer.

Only way to be make everyone equitable is to give everyone (that did not claim it twice) the iso again.

But do we really need to do that? How many people claimed the duplicate iso? They also got screwy with the levels they gave people and rank advancements they gained in the meantime, so they really aren't that far ahead. There were a whole slew of people ahead of me in the race, a few more makes no difference to me. If it's improving their rosters that much, they are out of my MMR by now anyway.

I don't know. Feels like we are up in arms about a relatively small group of people. We could just let D3 figure it out without demanding equity or answers, I mean, they really don't have to answer to us about other peoples accounts anyway.
  • Yasuru
    Yasuru Posts: 99 Match Maker
    It is understandable if people log into 2 devices, 3 or more is pushing it. I actually almost stumbled into this exploit, but it didn't happen for me. Here's what happened and why... A while back, there was a bug affecting the new android phones. When it occurred, I logged into my work iPhone so I could play. Why would I suddenly decide to use it again? Simply because the patch dropped on android a couple hours after iPhone and the rest of my alliance was celebrating the loot. I wanted to see how much I got. After the patch showed up, I switched to my personal phone.

So, I think they should be very careful in "fixing" those who got it twice. If they wanted to give everyone a second helping, though, I have some more 4*s I'd like to champ icon_e_wink.gif
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Even giving everyone more iso is still unfair. This is because the ones that got the extra iso and use it to level and get more covers had an advantage for entire 1-2 days. And they were probably playing the PVP and PVE events with the extra iso boosted characters/covers.

So here is the dilemma. You either punish the ones that spent the extra iso, or you punish the rest of the playerbase by making them at a disadvantage
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    One of the main reasons I voted for 3 instead of 4 is because I haven't spent a cent? penny? of the extra iso I got. It's still sitting there, and if they wanna reclaim it, fine, but I don't want all my progress from the past few days revoked because of a bug. In my case, I was trying to claim my reward for legitimately earning level 62 (after being grandfathered to 61). That's a bug, not me trying to game the system. I just wanted my 27,500 for getting 62, hence why I haven't spent the iso.

Also, hey, more iso for all!
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Well, D3 should do what they can to fix the issue without harming anyone.
    I dont think we should give advices to them in this matter...