The Legendary Hoard: A Journey Begins

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Anniversary Post-Mortem:

Up to 37 LTs and 1723 CP. The sale and anniversary vault were both very good to me. Lots of ISO came in as well and I was able to champ Chulk, Dino, and Thing - with Peggy up to 220 and champing soon. So I'm nearly 2 months in and have 105 pulls. So at this rate I'll be over 300 in another 4 months, that's way ahead of schedule and I think is a bit inflated due to the anniversary, but regardless I need to start thinking about stockpiling my ISO for the day. I'll finish champing Peggy, and maybe a couple other 4*s and then really start saving everything. I need 1.6 million ISO and can save 20k/day pretty comfortably, so I need to start a little less than 3 months out.

I've got a decent stash of about 80 heroics and a 10-pack (the anniversary 10-pack was for the vault rather than a heroic so I opened it for more dino champ levels), but I am still saving these indefinitely. I don't want to risk having to sell 4*s that I can't use. At this point the only covers that really go to waste are my 900 PvP rewards, and champ rewards from 3* characters. I can live with that.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    HP sale meant I went on a token opening spree. My hoard's all gone except for the PvE tokens, 32 LTs (waiting for Strange) and the 120 Savory tokens which will get gutted when Peggy is in there in the near future.

With all the opening and champion levels, I shot up 3+ Shield Rank levels, which was nice. Main results of the hoard:

2* - I opened slots and champed 9 of the 13. Wanted to finish all but I had more urgent and unexpected iso needs. Had to sell some 2* but still have 90+ in the queue for the remaining ones, gonna try to fill in as I get iso. I thought they would turn over slightly faster but I did flip a couple to start others.

3* - Finished 5/6 3* I had left. Spidey will get finished this week, had to sell 2 of the 8 covers I have for him. I went from one 3* above to 200 to now (I think) 16.

4* - I finished Kingpin (pulled 5 covers), my 18th champ. With the unexpected Peggy covers, I have to sell 5 Ghost Riders, only notable one I can't afford. HB became my first over level 300, and Fury's not far behind now.

5* - I pulled 4 Jean Green covers. Which would be awesome, if she wasn't already 7/3/0 before that. I pulled 2 more Surfer, so rather than finish my 2*s, I spent the 500k iso to champ him. Welcome to MMR hell! (actually it's not that bad yet, and he came in super handy for Boss Rush). Pulled a few IM46 to get to 4/1/4. A few other random 1 offs.

Overall, basically what I hoped, massive, instant progress which somehow feels better than the slow, mindless progress. Double iso couldn't have come at a better time too.
  • Fightmastermpq
    I'd love to be able to take a shot at both Strange and Black Bolt, but I'm pretty sure I won't have enough pulls saved up by the time Black Bolt leaves the Latest pool. I like what I see from him so far though, and I assume Strange will probably have some good board manipulation abilities that are largely lacking in the 5* tier. Natasha is.....meh. But if I wait for 3 top tier 5*s to be released back to back I might just be waiting forever.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not bad advice but I think we are eventually as we've seen it's going to move into five stars being rewards for PVP and you're gonna start to see four-star PVP is with the new tier system and being able to pick your reward system I think that's the next step and progression so it will be easier to obtain these five stars Allbeit on finishing top 10
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone here overcome the compulsion to open tokens as soon as there is a wee number in the window, or as soon as 20cp is reached.

I feel like a rat in a lab experiment some days.

It's really Cp and LT I should hoard as I'm reaching the point where lots of covers could go to waste, but dagnamit I want those shiney things now.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Using all that CP is going to be a pain in the ****...

Good at you though.
  • I'm at 109 tokens and 1327 cp. I suspect you'll get to 260 way before I do since I'm unable to hit max progression in pvp.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    My current update:

50 token_legendary.png latest (waiting for a new 5* character - Dr. Strange maybe?)
    316 commandpointsbig.png

I badly need an OML black or yellow.. to champ him. Still my unicorn

Opened 666 commandpointsbig.png but no "claws" come out from it.
  • Fightmastermpq
    CT1888 wrote:
    Has anyone here overcome the compulsion to open tokens as soon as there is a wee number in the window, or as soon as 20cp is reached.

I feel like a rat in a lab experiment some days.

It's really Cp and LT I should hoard as I'm reaching the point where lots of covers could go to waste, but dagnamit I want those shiney things now.
    I'm not going to lie, it's tough. For a long time I made sure I always opened everything to get rid of that number. It's been pegged at 99+ for probably a month now and I'm slowly getting used to it!
    CHRISJN wrote:
    My current update:

50 token_legendary.png latest (waiting for a new 5* character - Dr. Strange maybe?)
    316 commandpointsbig.png

I badly need an OML black or yellow.. to champ him. Still my unicorn

Opened 666 commandpointsbig.png but no "claws" come out from it.
    That's 62 latest pulls, which should get you about 3 covers from a new 5* when it is released. Resist the urge, your roster won't be much better with 3 more 5* covers, keep saving!!!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 wrote:
    My fear that the day after I cash them in, classics will go from 15%-20%, is stronger than that compulsion.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    CT1888 wrote:
    My fear that the day after I cash them in, classics will go from 15%-20%, is stronger than that compulsion.

My fear is that I will continue to hoard and the game will go under, leaving me with...??
  • Fightmastermpq
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    CT1888 wrote:

My fear is that I will continue to hoard and the game will go under, leaving me with...??
    Your fear, or your hope?
  • Fightmastermpq
    At the start of Power Gem Season...

Current Hoard as of 10/22/16:
    jarNU5T.png?240
    41xft9W.png?21808
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Current horde:
    Legendary: 104
    Red Room: 5
    Command Points: 5470
  • Fightmastermpq
    grunth13 wrote:
    Current horde:
    You gonna pull when Strange is dropped?
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    hoarding to 1000 cp. sitting at 575 now.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 wrote:
    Current horde:
    You gonna pull when Strange is dropped?

I think so, as long as he is good, I'll let banner move to classic.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    wow, this is damn impressive. i've been hoarding for a long time too, in hopes of eventually breaking into star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png land.

i don't remember when my journey started but its been going for awhile. i'm largely a f2p player. i spent $20 early on within my 1st 100 days for roster spots. i don't have VIP so my accumulation is a lot slower than yours.

here is where i'm currently at:
    no usable star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    12 champed star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    all star.pngstar.pngstar.png champed, all star.pngstar.png cycling

420 standard
    13 elite
    100 heroic + 3x 10 packs
    21 token_legendary.png
    802 commandpointsbig.png
    1 event token for every pve/pvp/galactus/anniversary/special event page
    473 sweet token_taco.png
    472 savory token_taco.png
    ~250 event vault tokens

my hoarding originally started from not having enough roster spots. it then became about the fact that i have terrible luck and unless i can empty a vault, i probably wont get my desired prize (got tired of fulling 20/80 vaults and missing the token_legendary.png or star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png )

my goal is to champ quake/peggy and then just keep saving until I have enough commandpointsbig.png / token_legendary.png to make myself actually competitive in pvp
  • Fightmastermpq
    blargrx wrote:
    wow, this is damn impressive. i've been hoarding for a long time too, in hopes of eventually breaking into star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png land.

i don't remember when my journey started but its been going for awhile. i'm largely a f2p player. i spent $20 early on within my 1st 100 days for roster spots. i don't have VIP so my accumulation is a lot slower than yours.

here is where i'm currently at:
    no usable star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    12 champed star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    all star.pngstar.pngstar.png champed, all star.pngstar.png cycling

420 standard
    13 elite
    100 heroic + 3x 10 packs
    21 token_legendary.png
    802 commandpointsbig.png
    1 event token for every pve/pvp/galactus/anniversary/special event page
    473 sweet token_taco.png
    472 savory token_taco.png
    ~250 event vault tokens

my hoarding originally started from not having enough roster spots. it then became about the fact that i have terrible luck and unless i can empty a vault, i probably wont get my desired prize (got tired of fulling 20/80 vaults and missing the token_legendary.png or star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png )

my goal is to champ quake/peggy and then just keep saving until I have enough commandpointsbig.png / token_legendary.png to make myself actually competitive in pvp
    This is far more impressive than my measly 2 month collection. I can't believe that taco stash in particular. Well done sir, well done.
  • Fightmastermpq
    So I've been doing a lot of thinking about what to do when Strange comes out. Looking at his stats he seems pretty good, but he seems like he will pair really nicely with Black Bolt - and as luck would have it they will both be in the Latest Pool at the same time starting soon and lasting what I am hoping is about 2 months or so. So in about 2 months I've decided that I'm most likely going to open everything I've got and just hope that RNGesus smiles on me that day - unless the next 5* announced at that time seems to be much better than BB.

Consequently - I need to start saving my ISO yesterday. I've got about 250k and need to get to 1.65M in the next 2 months. That means no more champing 4s for a while. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping to champ the new SL or maybe X-23, but whatever - they can wait.

I doing my best to minimize 4* covers wasted, but I decided that I will never have all the 4*s champed and if I delay opening anything that could earn a potentially wasted 4* cover that I'll reach a point where I never open anything. So I went ahead and cashed in my heroics - 111 tokens and 2 ten-packs. I was thinking it might be a good idea on what to expect in 2 months, but it's not really since I'll only be getting 4*s and 5*s then. I will probably just continue to open all other tokens until then so that I have an accurate representation of my ISO needs.

Anyway, here are my results.....

11 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    26 star.pngstar.pngstar.png
    94 star.pngstar.png

After applying champ rewards.....

18 commandpointsbig.png
    19,000 iso8big.png
    1,400 XP

I started with 225k ISO and just went through all my 2* rewards first and when I was done I had 224k ISO since I was leveling, champing, and selling off finished 2*s as I went. This actually makes sense I suppose as my 2* farm should be slightly ISO negative on average. Got 6 CP from 2* champ levels, 3* champ levels netted 17k ISO and no CP, 4* champ levels 12 CP and 3k ISO. I still have three 4* covers that I should sell too for another 3k ISO.

My initial reaction was kind of a "that's it?" but we are talking about mostly 2* rewards here. If I focus on the 4* picture (what I really care about in prepping for the final day) it gets a lot better. With just 11 covers I manage 12 CP. 6 of the 11 were from characters I have champed, which is slightly better than I should expect with my 17/41 champed 4*s. So let's say I get to 225 pulls, that's 191 4*s, 118 of which I'll have to sell for ISO, the other 74 I would expect to bring in another almost 150 CP or 6 additional pulls - plus a couple LTs probably (didn't happen to get any with the 6 I applied today), so maybe 1 additional 5* cover from champ levels - sounds like a pretty good consolation prize.

So yeah, that's where I am right now. I'm sure Strange will have his own token here in the next couple days, but I don't think it makes sense for me to try to go after just him when it looks like I might have a decent shot at Black Bolt too if I just wait a couple more months.

Also, I realize that 225 pulls is well short of the 260 I originally thought I needed, and the 300+ that I would really like to ensure I actually get at least 2 of the 3 champed. But even if I come up short at 10-11 covers each, a 405-420 Strange/BB combo would still be viable for PvE and PvP climbing if needed. I think BB/Strange is too good of a duo to pass up. And who knows, maybe lady luck will be good to me on that day.