Upcoming Feature: S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank & Clearance Levels!

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too vague. Will ignore until something actually happens.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    What would even be rewarded retroactively?

Your SHIELD rank.
    All I'm reading is that our rank will be auto judged by roster/days played and that will give us clearance to different reward sets for the current events.

It doesn't actually say that. I'm assuming that also, but for all we know everyone is starting at rank 1 and will have to earn higher clearance through game play. Which is the wrong way to do it, but it's in the realm of possibility.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, this is promising. "Late fall" seems like quite a while to wait, though....
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    This sounds a little big like the newer "Color Mastery" system recently implemented in Magic:PQ: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=48090

The longer you've played, the better chance you get at better rewards (or something akin to that).

If it's heading in that direction then good.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is massive speculation, but if I were designing a tier system that allowed everybody to progress, but that allowed vets to progress faster, I'd have a system of rewards available at set points where a point is rewarded for each enemy level defeated.

For instance, in the top node of sub 1 Venom Heroic, I have to fight a level 314 Venom, 315 Loki, 315 Moonstone. Defeating that level will give me 314+315+315 = 944 points towards my Rank Progression.

This encourages people to upgrade their rosters as the higher the scaling, the more Rank Points received.

End of Speculation.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    Will this be awarded retroactively? Would our past performances count?

Not nearly enough information to make an authoritative guess, but this:
    Story and Versus Events will have S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels to provide different rewards and appropriate challenge for players of different S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks.

almost makes it sound like there will be multiple nodes within a sub accessible only to players of particular S.H.I.E.L.D. ranks. Kind of like the 2-4* essentials?

And that suggests to me that the S.H.I.E.L.D. ranks may correspond fairly closely to 1*, 2*, 3*, etc, and that we'll see 4 or 5 nodes per sub with these increased rewards. If you're Rank 4, you'd have access to all, or nearly all, of those nodes to gain all of the rewards. If you're rank 3, you'd have access to the rank 1-3 nodes. The nodes would, presumably, scale in difficulty to reflect the improved roster strength.

Wildly irresponsible spitballing on my part given that it's extrapolating from a single sentence, but...that's what I got from it.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    So instead of 3 crit boosts, you get 6. icon_razz.gif
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    FWIW, here's my speculation... MPQ already keeps track of your overall roster progress and determines the difficulty of enemies you see in PVE and opponents you see in PVP -- it's your MMR. I think the SHIELD Rank will be tied to your MMR. As you level up your roster, your MMR gets higher, and so will your SHIELD Rank. This would be relatively easy for them to implement, since it's just creating a visual representation of a number that's already being calculated for every player.

I then think that the "SHIELD Clearance Level" will be putting you into a different prize bracket for events, based on your SHIELD Rank. So there might be a Clearance Level 3, which is a typical 3-Star player, and they would earn more 3-star covers and the potential to win 4-star covers. And then a Clearance Level 4, which would be a typical 4-star player, and they would earn more 4-star covers and the potential to win more command points/legendary tokens. I'd expect (and hope) that each Clearance Level will have higher and higher ISO rewards as well, commensurate with the rank/level of player.

I don't think it will be a restructuring of events themselves, just the prizes you are able to earn from events (hopefully both progression and placement).
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Optimistic but it sounds like 4 star vets will be lumped into similar death brackets and placement is not going away any time soon.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll just follow some sage wisdom I heard once: "Don't get happy."

From vaults to VIP, for about every feature the announced there have been players heralding the solution to all the game's problems were at hand. But, the changes usually end up being fairly unimpressive variations, while they need total metamorphosis. I'm not saying they won't fix thing. I'm just not going to believe things will be better until they actually have been for a while.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Independent of the actual implementation, I'm excited that the infrastructure seems to have been put in place for varying rewards earned using a rubric other than (or rather, in addition to) leaderboards and progression points.

This sounds like it's going to be another knob that the developers can turn to tune reward distribution, and one that was needed. Hopefully this makes further changes, if needed, much easier to implement. That's much appreciated, and has me more hopeful for the future of MPQ than I've been in a long time. I'd like to be excited about using my roster again.
  • Jwhitmire36
    Jwhitmire36 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I'm definitly intrigued, does prompt a lot of questions but one figures more details are forthcoming. 'Late fall' I would consider to be the November timeframe, so there's plenty of time to trickle out details and hopefully answer our questions, like how long do I keep hoarding LT and CP.

Thanks for the communication, plant those seeds of anticipation!! icon_cool.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I have a feeling they took the uncharacteristic move (for them) to announce this so far in advance due to a declining player base. My alliance (top 100) had no problem keeping 20 people in it achieving top 100 every season with minimum PvP scores of 7500. Now, we are still top 100, but we have only 16 members that actually play, and just get random people with almost no points filling those empty spots left by members that quit after playing for over 2 years. You can't really catch up in this game, so new players are useless to old player alliances. As a result, once a few people in an alliance leave, it makes it more likely for an entire alliance to fall apart and leave. And since a majority of the content they release these days is irrelevant to new players, they lose their main income source once old players quit, and it can never be made up. PvP alliance competition is now significantly easier (although PvE is as hard as ever due to scaling). Not to mention Pokémon Go taking away some players that want to collect them all.

I've been contemplating quitting for the past couple of months, so this might be too far away to keep me playing unless they release more information soon. Championing added an extra 2 months of enjoyment to the game, this needs to be something bigger.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I AM EXCITE! icon_e_biggrin.gif

While only based on speculation, I like the idea of the Dev team using the MMR statistics for good instead of evil :p
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd guess that specific character rewards (1 star and maybe 2 star) would be replaced with tokens based on player progress. Fingers crossed, boosts replaced with ISO rewards? Maybe.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Late Autumn is right into December. I will get a bit more enthusiastic about it then, especially as the official information is vague at best. Sounds like a change that could make me want to play again and I hope that D3 really doesn't stick to its usual SOP and make a right hash of it.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Ludaa wrote:

Your SHIELD rank.
    All I'm reading is that our rank will be auto judged by roster/days played and that will give us clearance to different reward sets for the current events.

It doesn't actually say that. I'm assuming that also, but for all we know everyone is starting at rank 1 and will have to earn higher clearance through game play. Which is the wrong way to do it, but it's in the realm of possibility.
    I'd rather have this than it being tied to days played. Roster strength I think would be the best as that is a far better representation of ISO/reward needs than days played.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Ludaa wrote:

Your SHIELD rank.

I'd rather have this than it being tied to days played. Roster strength I think would be the best as that is a far better representation of ISO/reward needs than days played.

Depends how roster would be worked into this. They have a few variables with number of characters per tier plus number of champion characters per tier, maybe a points based system with higher level covers being worth more points?

Number of points = number of stars, double for Champion?
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    The Herald wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

Your SHIELD rank.

Depends how roster would be worked into this. They have a few variables with number of characters per tier plus number of champion characters per tier, maybe a points based system with higher level covers being worth more points?

Number of points = number of stars, double for Champion?
    I'm not going to pretend to be able to make up the perfect system on the spot here, all I'm saying is that days played is really not a great gauge for "your progression through the game." Consider the casual daily DDQ and not much else guy on day 900 champing his first 4* compared to the hardcore max progression in every event plus LR and all DDQ4 guy on day 500 with champed 5*s. Those 2 have very different ISO/reward structure needs, and I'm hoping that is taken into account.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    This sounds really interesting. I am intrigued how this will work. If it is as good as I hope it will be, maybe just maybe I will come out of retirement and return to MPQ.

With the recent changes to Level-Up button, Selling Covers (two of the most annoying parts that needed an upgraded) and some other recent changes, I think coming back right before the 3rd Anniversary could be good. I look forward to more information on this. I cannot believe it has been 7 months since I left.