MPQ at Marvel.com: Black Bolt!

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Fans of MPQ!

The latest 5-star character is coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest on August 11th - Black Bolt!

Head over to Marvel.com right now to check out the screenshots, ability details, and more in the interview with Patch Rodriguez from Demiurge Studios.

Interview Can Be Found Here - http://marvel.com/news/video_games/26572/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_black_bolt

Quote - "Mr. Boltagon is a classic Marvel character who is also highly requested by fans. Plus, his voice’s destructive power and his position as the king of the Inhumans make him the perfect addition to our 5-Star lineup. I hope that his strength and kingly nature comes through in his Powers."

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who moves to classics, 5cap, im46 or neither?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll go with "neither". I'm guessing they'll go to four fivestar characters in the Latest Legends tokens.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor

I can answer that one for you.
    You will find out as soon as Black Bolt is added.
    They do not release this information prior to the new 5* being added.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    5*, horray! Let's check how I'm doing on the last several released 5*'s...let's see...

Cap: 2 covers
    IM: 2 covers (only because they were given out as event rewards)
    BSSM: 2 covers
    GG: 1 cover
    Hulk: 1 cover

Looking forward to yet another 5* diluting the pool, getting one cover for him and never being able to cover any of them!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    How the **** are we ever supposed to cover any 5*s when you release them this fast?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    How the tinykitty are we ever supposed to cover any 5*s when you release them this fast?

BlackBolt had to be a 5, and said that, I think at this stage, these new 5s are just for super whales, I dont think devs expect the 'normal' players to get them anytime soon.

I am 100% sure Dr Strange will be a 5 too, but I hope he is the last we get this year.

Ps: Who am I trying to fool, we will also get a another 5 for the anniversary and maybe another one in December :S
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    How the tinykitty are we ever supposed to cover any 5*s when you release them this fast?

You're not.

Also, 4* tier is near the 40 characters of the 3* tier, so I'm guessing it won't be long before 5* start coming every two weeks for good.

And FWIW, it's still 'only' 1 a month, they skipped June with the double release in May.
  • SnowcaTT
    simonsez wrote:

You're not.

Also, 4* tier is near the 40 characters of the 3* tier, so I'm guessing it won't be long before 5* start coming every two weeks for good.

I can hope...because then they'd have to remove the 5* from RNG, and allow actual progression!!!

Of course, the offset would be no additional ISO in the game - so let's call that progression*
  • johnnyzero
    johnnyzero Posts: 97 Match Maker
    I know these articles are pretty much just glorified press releases, but this one reminded me of the glory days of IceIX. There was actual discussion on what defines the character, how the powers worked, and who the character would pair well with rather than basically just the copy/paste of powers that they've been recently. Well done Mr. Rodriguez.
  • simonsez
    simonsez wrote:

You're not.

And FWIW, it's still 'only' 1 a month, they skipped June with the double release in May.
    So they put out 12 a year, and among the most hardcore players (ie earning 1 token a day), on average it'd take them a year to cover one, assuming a 3% pull rate. So what's the point of the other 11?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm calling it: Black Bolt's yellow is the worst skill in the entire 5* tier. The stronger his companions are, the less value it gives you. And, not mentioned in the article but visible in one of the images, it causes friendly damage too (not clear if it damages the target or Black Bolt himself).
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Patch Rodriguez? He's new, yes?
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure what's more disturbing, the rate 5* characters are being released or the colour of the water in the synchro diving pool at Rio. I thought 5* were supposed to be trophy characters that were supposed to take a long, long time to earn. If that is the case why are they being released so quickly?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Not sure what's more disturbing, the rate 5* characters are being released or the colour of the water in the synchro diving pool at Rio. I thought 5* were supposed to be trophy characters that were supposed to take a long, long time to earn. If that is the case why are they being released so quickly?
    Because whales are championing them as fast as they come out.

They're taking maximum advantage (Demiurge)
  • Windreaver
    Windreaver Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    fmftint wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

keep in mind that just before 5* came out they told everyone that 5* cannot be whaled.

hahahahhahahahah !
  • SnowcaTT
    Windreaver wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

keep in mind that just before 5* came out they told everyone that 5* cannot be whaled.

hahahahhahahahah !

First rule of Buyers Club is D3 does not want you to talk about Buyers club!
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    I'm calling it: Black Bolt's yellow is the worst skill in the entire 5* tier. The stronger his companions are, the less value it gives you. And, not mentioned in the article but visible in one of the images, it causes friendly damage too (not clear if it damages the target or Black Bolt himself).

Second on this Yellow being terrible. What if you are playing with characters that already have two powers at 5? If it can't go over Power Level 5, it's a waste, and they still take damage for practically no benefit at all. A single power going from 3 to 4 does not offset the damage they'll take. The description looks like it damage the ally that would get boosted.
    What a terribly designed power...

So, looking at the preview, Black Bolt has TWO powers that self/team damage?!
    His Black also deals self damage once the charged tiles pop. That would be like if Quicksilver's damaged himself when his Blue passive popped.

And I was really looking forward to Black Bolt, but TWO team damaging powers?!?!?
    WHY do they design self damage powers???
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Windreaver wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

hahahahhahahahah !

First rule of Buyers Club is D3 does not want you to talk about Buyers club!

Just give it a little longer, and we'll have 6*s that can never be whaled :p

It's more than possible to play the game at your own pace, especially with the scaling here trying to "suggest" you collect and Champion a whole tier before moving up. It's just that you CAN try to pay to catch up (if you're crazy enough).
  • simonsez
    Mawtful wrote:
    Something for the devs to consider: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Game-Design- ... 0123694965
    "People who bought this also banned forum users for telling hard truths... "
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    johnnyzero wrote:
    I know these articles are pretty much just glorified press releases, but this one reminded me of the glory days of IceIX. There was actual discussion on what defines the character, how the powers worked, and who the character would pair well with rather than basically just the copy/paste of powers that they've been recently. Well done Mr. Rodriguez.

Seconded. I hope he does new characters' press releases from now on. Wouldn't mind seeing him around in the forums, either.