Why won't people Champion Prof X

Comments

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I would, but you know... i am lacking some ISO now...
    And after i get it, i am not sure whether i will invest in into 4*s or 5*s...
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Champed Chuckie last week. Havent run angels much in a loooong time.....but i have a lvl 94 Charles just in case.

OML doesnt replace Charles. They make a beautiful nightmare together.

Of course i also have a lvl 117 3Hulk still too. You just never know when youll need these things....

Absolutely true. Using a lot of OML ProfX Switch in Thick as Thieves. But OML does replace Winfinite. Partnered with real damage dealers you end matches much quicker but still cut down on health pack usage and you can go back to playing in lazy autopilot mode during a 2 hour grind. I assume you haven't used angels in a while because of OML icon_razz.gif

Super vets who had most of their rosters champed prior to championing let's them be much more liberal with Iso and I am JEALOUS. My Profx is 135 and Winfinite is not broken for me unless he is buffed. I really do want a champed, pure support ProfX so I also had a near complete dupe but I sold it last week because I am never going to have an extra 365k Iso to spend on a dupe and not feel bad about it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

IMO the problem with ProfX is that too many special tile spammers and cascaders are in the 3* tier and not enough in 4* and 5* tier (yet). So in the current state of the game, as your roster gets stronger, ProfX's niche shrinks smaller. He is crazy fun to play in BOP though as a tile buffer.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Charlie's Angels can be adjusted, too. You really only need Prof X and GSBW to make it work. Scarlet Witch was only ever there to get the ball rolling. To make it work with a high-level Prof X, you just need another character that has higher purple damage than Prof X's blue. Most 4*s that use purple can do this, including Starlord. Starlord has the added bonus of being a good accelerator.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    So reading all this, I was wondering if people would help clarify:

I just got my first Prof X cover, blue yay! So obviously I will roster this. I am interested in developing this guy for Winfinite. My questions:

1) I've heard 5/5/0 is good for Winfinite because it won't clog up spaces with special tiles for GSBW to be able to convert more. Yes?
    2) Say I get him to 5/5/0, what level do I stop leveling him at? (not that I'll have enough ISO or even the colors anytime soon)
    3) With any yellow covers and 6+ covers of the others, I'll create a new ProfX to champion someday? (oh boy, this sounds so far away)

Is this the right way to go about this?
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    I gladly ride the "screw winfinite" bandwagon. It's called Puzzle Quest. I like to keep the puzzle part included.
    Using winfinite required a HELL of a lot more thought than using OML does.
    If you would have read ALL my post, you would notice I said I don't like relying on a set character. I rarely use OML so you are barking up the wrong tree, Rover.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really boils down to a question..

Is winfinite the strongest tool in your roster?

Yes? Don't level

No? Champ him. As a special tile buffer he's outstanding and quickly spirals insanely when he's tanking lots of colours.

Personally I find px/falcap/gr team immensely fun
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    For stupid ones: What is "winfinite"?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any combo that lets you cycle through moves without giving the other team a turn. The second post in the thread describes the relevant team: profX/gsbw/switch
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    I've got a champ PX and he's great. Really nice to use with OML/PHX, free attack tiles to go with all the strikes, plus the bonus damage/AP when Phoenix crits. And if you so choose, you can make professor invisible, though you'll have to match blue for him to improve any tiles since they're tanking the rest of the colors.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I'm in screw Charlies angels -group as well, gonna champion PX eventually. There is lots of other great teams still - and other winfinites
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I gladly ride the "screw winfinite" bandwagon. It's called Puzzle Quest. I like to keep the puzzle part included.
    If you would have read ALL my post, you would notice I said I don't like relying on a set character. I rarely use OML so you are barking up the wrong tree, Rover.
    All of that has nothing to do with you saying winfinite took the puzzle part out of puzzle quest.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    simonsez wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    All of that has nothing to do with you saying winfinite took the puzzle part out of puzzle quest.

I dont think (s)he gets that winfinite is one of the MOST puzzly parts of MPQ currently. Right up there are the 4* DPDQs where the user can go invisible with one cover and win. I actually pull winfinite out here and there just so I can puzzle!
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I do love getting berated because I play a game differently than you (plural). I obviously am not allowed to do that.

Shame on me!

What part of "for ME" does not register? I don't like winfinite. It feels like lazy cheating to me. So I don't do it. Still do just fine in the game for the level I wish to achieve. So back off your pack of wolves already.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do love getting berated because I play a game differently than you (plural). I obviously am not allowed to do that.

Shame on me!

What part of "for ME" does not register? I don't like winfinite. It feels like lazy cheating to me. So I don't do it. Still do just fine in the game for the level I wish to achieve. So back off your pack of wolves already.
    Stop whining and playing the victim card. No one's berating you, and no one gives a **** how you play. You mischaracterized winfinite, and you were corrected. Simple as that. Live with it and move on, for crissakes.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    I do love getting berated because I play a game differently than you (plural).

Youre not getting berated. You stated:
    I like to keep the puzzle part included.

The point Ive made, as have others, is that winfinite is VERY puzzle oriented. Thats a correction, and not even really up for debate as it is definitely a puzzle to sort out how to maximize match 5s given a set number of moves.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:
    For stupid ones: What is "winfinite"?

This is the general term used on these forums when you have a team combination that gives you multiple turns in a row through Match-5's or other cheeky combos.
    There have been various combos over the years that have done this, and many o them have been nerfed/removed.
    3 Star Magento's Blue (which was SUPER FUN), 2 Star Magneto's Purple, & Mystique's Blue all got got nerfed to stop this. These were berfed because the rarity of characters required was much more accessible, so more people could get a team up & running easily.

As far as I know, the only viable winfinite team left is what is known as the "Charlie's Angles" team.
    It's Prof X, Scarlet Witch, & GSBW.
    To summarize, the main strategy is to use GSBW's Purple to make multiple Match-5 green matches, which gives you not only an extra turn & a crit tile, but triggers Prof X's Master Plan Blue passive, which deals nice damage but more importantly gives you 4 Purple AP for each Match-5 you make. So, if you can make 3 green Match-5's with GSBW's Purple, you'll get enough Purple to cast it again. And again. And again. It can actually be quite fun. More often than not you can at least make 2 Match-5's, which still gives you back 8 Purple AP, so any leftovers you get from cascades or that you had naturally will let you cast it again. Scarlet Witch's Blue Countdown tile just greatly accelerates you getting to 11 AP, and often will make a Purple Match-5 when it pops, giving you 9 Purple AP right there.

This is where the dilemma of leveling Prof X comes in.
    Master Plan gives AP in the team's strongest color. Because he is a 4 Star character playing with 3 Stars, if you level him too high, then this team's strongest color will become Blue instead of Purple, which won't give you Purple AP anymore. So say goodbye to endless turns with Charlie's Angels.
    I've heard of a slightly modified version of this using Prof X and Mystique. Her Blue tile converter can cause lots of cascades, possibly even some Match-5's, and get you to her Black or Purple quite fast. But at 10 AP, it's not dependable to give extra turns, so it's only a quick burst and not truly Winfinite as it's mostly known.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mystique, Quicksilver and Iron Fist is a super puzzle-y winfinite, and feels epic when in full flow.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've heard of a slightly modified version of this using Prof X and Mystique. Her Blue tile converter can cause lots of cascades, possibly even some Match-5's, and get you to her Black or Purple quite fast. But at 10 AP, it's not dependable to give extra turns, so it's only a quick burst and not truly Winfinite as it's mostly known.
    mystique, boosted px and quicksilver is known to some as a 'slowfinite' variant. the black that mystique produces can be used by qs to set up match-5 possibilities, which will produce more blue, which leads to more black/purple. its ok. used it quite a bit during a heroic once. not super reliable though. px can go inviz with the purple and go inviz and buff tiles for a little extra oomph.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    3 Star Magento's Blue (which was SUPER FUN), 2 Star Magneto's Purple, & Mystique's Blue all got got nerfed to stop this. These were berfed because the rarity of characters required was much more accessible, so more people could get a team up & running easily.
    IF also got Nerfed in that time frame.

GT/Hood was close to Winfinite before they nerfed both of them.
    As far as I know, the only viable winfinite team left is what is known as the "Charlie's Angles" team.
    It's Prof X, Scarlet Witch, & GSBW.
    SW, IF, and SS also works. It takes slightly longer to get going, but it benefits from 5* match damage and health.

The biggest objective problem with Winfinite (subjectively I find it boring) is the low health. So in the really difficult matches where you really need it (later gauntlet rounds, for example), it starts to become about a 50/50 proposition on whether or not you will die before you get it rolling.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    SW, IF, and SS also works. It takes slightly longer to get going, but it benefits from 5* match damage and health.
    how does that work? all based on singularities? I have 5 in black but its really expensive for what it does