Why won't people Champion Prof X

The Herald
The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As someone who needed the 4* covers off Ultron (but didn't get them because I'm in a super casual alliance where people apparently have something called "lives"), I'm not getting why everyone keeps him underclocked?

I know it's for Winfinite, but don't get why you can't champ him as the only Winfinite with him I know uses Mystique so him generating Blue isn't too bad.

Anyone willing to school a newbie here?

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scarlet Witch and GSBW plus Prof X (or Charlie's Angels) works when one of the first too is strongest, so purple gets generated for much Deceptive Tactics shenanigans.
    Get purple. Make 2 or more match 5 greens. Repeat.
  • The Herald
    CT1888 wrote:
    Scarlet Witch and GSBW plus Prof X (or Charlie's Angels) works when one of the first too is strongest, so purple gets generated for much Deceptive Tactics shenanigans.
    Get purple. Make 2 or more match 5 greens. Repeat.

You know what?

I used Charlie's Angels all through the Ultron event, and it didn't even occur to me it would self nerf icon_neutral.gif
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    ProfX. Gsbw. Scarlet Witch.
    You want him underleveled so he generates pink.

As soon as you have a usable OML, winfinite is no longer useful to you. So champing him is just a waste.
  • The Herald
    Ruinate wrote:

As soon as you have a usable OML, winfinite is no longer useful to you. So champing him is just a waste.

Oh, don't worry, I seem pretty safe from ever having a usable OML icon_neutral.gif
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The Herald wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

Oh, don't worry, I seem pretty safe from ever having a usable OML icon_neutral.gif

Everybody feels that way. I abused Winfinite for months. Good luck.
  • The Herald
    Ruinate wrote:
    The Herald wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

Everybody feels that way. I abused Winfinite for months. Good luck.

RNGeezus has blessed me with a 2/1/1 Prof X from a 1/0/0 start over the course of a week, hopefully I'll get some milage out of him with the new season starting (in between feeding everyone else points because any Prof X team is likely a joke running on AI in defence).
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Many build a -second- PX just so winfinite keeps going on weeks like this, when PX is buffed.

That's what I'm doing, my 172 PX is to high when buffed right now, and it's a bummer. My 4/3/2 is coming along, and will forever remain at level 70 (fool me once, D3)
  • The Herald
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Many build a -second- PX just so winfinite keeps going on weeks like this, when PX is buffed.

That's what I'm doing, my 172 PX is to high when buffed right now, and it's a bummer. My 4/3/2 is coming along, and will forever remain at level 70 (fool me once, D3)

Huh... This sounds like a plan icon_e_smile.gif

Not that I'm anywhere near 26 Prof X covers, but once I inevitably hit a 6th of a colour waaaay before I can finish the prime one I'll look to recruit XD
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I almost never use the Switch/GSBW/Chuck combo, just because I find it boring and repetitive. That said, I still don't see myself ever leveling him as I just can't see him being useful for much else besides the occasional gimmick team.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    You also need him low enough that quicksilver will get black out of 5-matches for the other version of winfinite.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:

Not that I'm anywhere near 26 Prof X covers, but once I inevitably hit a 6th of a colour waaaay before I can finish the prime one I'll look to recruit XD
    Good news! You only need 10 extra covers if you're building a dupe purely for winfinite.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:

Good news! You only need 10 extra covers if you're building a dupe purely for winfinite.

Bad news! They have to fall 5/5/0 icon_e_wink.gif Originally my 2nd one fell 3/3/0 and I considered just ignoring the yellow, but I rostered the recent yellows anyway.

-Edit: I've seen folks go 5/5/0 but wasn't entirely sure why - I assume AI will still match yellow occasionally in winfinite even if you have a 5/5/0 PX?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Bad news! They have to fall 5/5/0 icon_e_wink.gif Originally my 2nd one fell 3/3/0 and I considered just ignoring the yellow, but I rostered the recent yellows anyway.

-Edit: I've seen folks go 5/5/0 but wasn't entirely sure why - I assume AI will still match yellow occasionally in winfinite even if you have a 5/5/0 PX?
    You use the yellows for champ levels icon_e_smile.gif

Yellow clogs up the board with special tiles that widow can't turn green, and the extra animation just slows you down.
  • The Herald
    This is some next level game exploiting up in here XD
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never really got on the winfinite/charlies angels bandwagon. Champed PX a little while ago now and haven't looked back. Boosted as he is in the current event, Master Plan is dealing more than 10k damage - it doesn't even matter that he's generating blue because the giant floating head of doom is laying waste to everyone and everything.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2016
    Personally, I find winfinite boring, so I prefer to build Prof X as 3/5/5. In that case, you want him leveled so that he will match more of his colors to improve his tiles more often. If I had the Iso, I'd champ him tommorow.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I gladly ride the "screw winfinite" bandwagon. It's called Puzzle Quest. I like to keep the puzzle part included. That, for me, includes using different characters to give myself a challenge. Discover new groups with interesting combos. NOT using the same 4 characters on rotation and boring myself into quitting.

PX will be the first 4* I max and champion. Just for spite. Lol.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, I find winfinite boring
    It was never meant to be exciting. It was meant to let you grind PvE levels that the devs scaled beyond the capabilities of your roster.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gladly ride the "screw winfinite" bandwagon. It's called Puzzle Quest. I like to keep the puzzle part included.
    Using winfinite required a HELL of a lot more thought than using OML does.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

I did just that after they changed match damage, but when I finished building my second Prof X (I build him 5/4/4 and I was planing to level him to 120 or something like this), something happened. My enemies know are all 30k+ hitpoints, so an attack that it is just 3k is not fast enough or even reliable enough. You need to generate so many match-5 to kill the other team that it is easy to lose a turn or two in between match-5s and then lose ProfX with some of their attacks.

Now I am thinking of levelling my main 210 level ProfX to 270 so he can compliment my OML+PH team in Sim or PvE. Those attack tiles he will create and the match 5s from PH will go quite nicely together (buuuuut he will be levelled after Punisher, Quake and Peggy, and maybe Antman, so I might never level him, I NEEEEED MORE ISOOO!!!!).
    simonsez wrote:
    I gladly ride the "screw winfinite" bandwagon. It's called Puzzle Quest. I like to keep the puzzle part included.
    Using winfinite required a HELL of a lot more thought than using OML does.

I agree completely, using winfinite correctly was much more puzzle than any other char (except the old magneto blue power). I miss using him because it was really fun planing all this match 5s in advance, rearranging the board to get 3 match 5s in the same Deceptive Tactics cast, that was really fun!

PS: I also miss the old Magneto blue. It was so fun to always look for 5 or 6 blue moves so you could keep playing indefinitely...