the state of pvp for 3* rosters (and general poll)

Comments

• Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    There are two in my alliance who had been hitting 1k with 2* rosters. They have since moved up to 3* rosters and hit 1.3k and 15k for the season. Certainly possible but it's hard.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    i choose 3* player and can occasionally hit 1,000

caveat is i have a 315 OML (no black) and recently champed Hulkbuster.

All 3* are champed. Around half of the 4* are at level 190-200.

Have been extremely frustrated with PVP. Peaking above 900 is immediate attacks, often before I can do one match in a hop. Only targets I can find are ones at less than 40 points or ones with maxed 4 * which will kill me.

Recently resigned to progressing my 4* roster solely through RNG legendary pulls.
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I usually go for 300, its easy to get as a 3* with half the 3s championed. then depending if I have the feature character lvled or not I decide to go for the 600-800 range. I struggle to get to 800 and usually don't bother, I've done it when I want the cover and have enough time to play/shield. As soon as I go above 800 usually I'm an easy prey for the high lvled rosters, Only reached 1k once with a looooot of yoyoing+planning+shieldhping when I finally understanded how it works (thanks forum for the info btw icon_razz.gif).

I'll try to get 1k next season at least a couple of times if some 4* I can use appears.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    I´m just going for 400-500 points (maximum). If i joined too early, as a 3* player, i´m a freekill for the 4* and 5* players, so pvp is no more worth to me any focus. last season i was so nerved about pvp and my nerfed (remember the 3*nerf!) roster, that i even didnt hit the 10pack.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have several 3*s champed (but not very high), most 2*s champed (decently high?), and a few non-usable 4*s. The only time I do well is when I join the event right when it starts and rack up around 200 points. Then I try to skip till I find a team I can beat, but it's hard to do so sometimes. I don't think I've ever broken 300.

Do I just suck? It's ok if the answer is yes. icon_lol.gif My roster doesn't seem super developed for a PVP event.

Your roster is decent. Don't start climbing right at the start, join about halfway through and you will find a much wider range of opponents.
  • shusheshe
    shusheshe Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I have 27 champed 3*s and my best covered 4* is STARLORD at 11 covers. The rest of my 4*s have anywhere from 1-10 covers.

I can reach about 700s without shields, then have to depend on LINE/BC to # hop the rest of the way past 1000. It's a pain having to buy HP for #s.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I posted a version of my state-of-affairs in another thread, so here it is again.
    • I'm a heavy 3* player; 37 of 40 are champions.
    • PVP MMR is beyond frustrating, having to fight similar 3* champion rosters the moment the seed teams are down. Sometimes it's even worse; i.e. highly-covered weekly boosted 4*, 3-cover OML or other 5* who can wreck you with match damage alone (at least to the point of needing health packs).
    • Said MMR makes the meager match & early progression rewards frustrating / aggravating / etc. I.e. 'I took down that wretched OML who hit me with a 4K crit on a cascade just to get 70 ISO and a lousy 300 point token that only gave me a 2*?!'
    • I've reached 800 points exactly three times. Twice in Hollowpoint Kiss (GSBW), once for Peggy Carter.
    • The 'beatdown' starts.. well, almost any time I clear the seeds, really. Even if I put 3 champion 3* out there I'm liable to take defensive losses at any time. Savagely so if I'm over, I dunno, 500 points now? 'Oh look there's a champ Rulk & champ 4* who massacred me, gee, I sure do have a chance at that retal. -skip-'
    • The PVP time commitment & scheduling feels too high to attempt to push farther or with more regularity. I.e. need to shield & be back online in exactly 3 hours, or to hop and then re-shield quickly. I've got a wife & 15-month-old son. Such 'scheduled play' doesn't work for me. At all. I might think I've got some spare minutes only to have the boy start fussing, for example.
    • I've probably finished T100 less than 5 times total, and probably never in-season since leaving the noob brackets.
    tl;dr: feels like too much work for too little reward. I tend to scrape enough points to get my 4K for the season then slack off.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I posted a version of my state-of-affairs in another thread, so here it is again.
    • I'm a heavy 3* player; 37 of 40 are champions.
    • PVP MMR is beyond frustrating, having to fight similar 3* champion rosters the moment the seed teams are down. Sometimes it's even worse; i.e. highly-covered weekly boosted 4*, 3-cover OML or other 5* who can wreck you with match damage alone (at least to the point of needing health packs).
    • Said MMR makes the meager match & early progression rewards frustrating / aggravating / etc. I.e. 'I took down that wretched OML who hit me with a 4K crit on a cascade just to get 70 ISO and a lousy 300 point token that only gave me a 2*?!'
    • I've reached 800 points exactly three times. Twice in Hollowpoint Kiss (GSBW), once for Peggy Carter.
    • The 'beatdown' starts.. well, almost any time I clear the seeds, really. Even if I put 3 champion 3* out there I'm liable to take defensive losses at any time. Savagely so if I'm over, I dunno, 500 points now? 'Oh look there's a champ Rulk & champ 4* who massacred me, gee, I sure do have a chance at that retal. -skip-'
    • The PVP time commitment & scheduling feels too high to attempt to push farther or with more regularity. I.e. need to shield & be back online in exactly 3 hours, or to hop and then re-shield quickly. I've got a wife & 15-month-old son. Such 'scheduled play' doesn't work for me. At all. I might think I've got some spare minutes only to have the boy start fussing, for example.
    • I've probably finished T100 less than 5 times total, and probably never in-season since leaving the noob brackets.
    tl;dr: feels like too much work for too little reward. I tend to scrape enough points to get my 4K for the season then slack off.

Optimus you are so close! a champed 4* thor will solve many of your PVP problems (if she hasn't already; I would bring her up to 250. She shouldn't affect your scaling much as you already have 5*s in that range). I use im40/4*Thor almost exclusively above 700 points, with no regard to weekly boosts and I am able to get any 1k cover that I want during the regular season (off-season can be a bit harder). Even at 5/2/5 you should be fine on offense (though she will invite attacks below level 200). I know we have had this discussion before on PM, but I'm surprised that our PVP experiences are so different given that we effectively have access to the same tools.
  • Vhailorx
    I have 2 different accounts but can only vote once icon_cry.gif

Do I hafta make another Forum account for my other self???

Please no, I'm confused enough as it is.

Especially by the 3*-specific thread title and the much wider variety of options. A generic "State of the PVP" has broader appeal and usefulness anyway.

Sorry my thread doesn't meet your clarity standards aesth! icon_e_wink.gif

My curiosity about 3* rosters prompted the thread, hence the title. But when I was making the poll, I realized that the audience would inevitably be broader, so I figured a broader poll might have value.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    I am mostly a 3* player as far as PVP goes. I have 35 of 3*s champed with one more on the way (IM40- I sold him before he was buffed, now working to rebuild him). I'm a day 900+ player but am fairly casual (many days I just do DDQ).

Like others on here I've just started to wait on joining PVP until the last few hours of the event. Depending on timing I can reliably hit 700-800 without shielding or getting hit too hard. Could I hit 1000 if I started earlier? Probably, but I'd rather not spend on shields anymore. I am also pretty much guaranteed to at least get top 50 in placement if I join late, usually getting top 10 or top 25.

I'm starting to get some 4*s almost ready to use for PVP. I champed 4hor last week (my first 4* champ) and actually used her when she was boosted, and I'll have Hulkbuster and 4Clops ready fairly soon. My OML is also ok (2/2/2) so I will use him if the boosted options really suck. I try not to use him as much because it usually leads to me punching above my weight.

I also now just try to get the 10-pack each season. Before 5*s came along I was consistently (and fairly easily) hitting 1k and the final progression reward each season. After Champs and 5*s, I realized how much more difficult it became to hit 1k with just 3*s, so I changed my approach to joining at the end and going for the placement rewards.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2016
    I have 3 3*s championed, and I've hit 1000 points. I got to 960 or so in the Peggy Carter event (crying inside over that), only to break the 1k ceiling later for a Mr. Fantastic cover (even harder crying)

I don't know that I do anything really special. I play in the 4th slice, I don't really try to snipe, and I don't shield hop. I try to get my points at about the 1 day mark, when there's enough to grab, but not much intense competition yet. My team is generally a lv 168 Iron Fist, a lv 114 Hood (with 5 blue covers), and whoever I have to use that tournament. I think the one where I got 1k was with Colossus, who I also have at 127, which is higher than average for me.

*Edit*
    One additional thought: For any given tournament, I decide if I want to go for points or placement. If it's points, I'm doing my climbing way early, and I'm going to crash hard before I get to the phase where it'd make sense to shield. If I want placement, I take a slice where I know I can play in the last 3 hours, which is usually 3rd or 1st, and is much less competitive.

It sounds like many people are trying to go for both, so that might be one thing that I'm doing different.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I consider myself a 3* player due to the fact my only 4*s are HB and XDP, and I still have to use 3*s in my climb, all of which are championed BTW. With a bit of luck I can hit 1k, but most of the time, especially when the boosted 4*s are strong (Cyke, RH, Ice, etc) the moment I hit 900 I struggle to stay above it, which is why I usually just give up and shield up for the placements if I even do get to that point.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    With enough shields you can hit 1.3k

We have someone in our alliance with Champ max 2* hitting 1.3k regularly last two seasons. He's only just champed two x 3* this season but the rest is still 2*.. in fact he top scored in that alliance (16k) mainly because he had a good season bracket to protect

There is a system and it works
  • Frank NewCastle
    Frank NewCastle Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    So I'm approaching Day 1,000 and the vast majority of that time has been spent with a 3* roster.

I do think it is possible with a broad 3* roster to climb to 800 regularly, the problems start after that though. You basically have a choice over whether to shield or get hit. If it's any consolation to the pure 3* rosters, I'm 4* transitioning and I get the stuffing kicked out of me when I'm un# above 800. 800+ is the realm of (boosted) champed 4*s and above.

I think having a stronger roster makes climbing easier, but much above 800 you will always face rosters who can beat you down unless you are top, top tier (ie whale).

So if you don't want to pay for shielding, you will be limited to about 800 for prog rewards generally, but that is not just for 3* rosters. Having boosted champed 4*s might get you a ride to 1k, but after that you enter a 5* world with snipers everywhere.

As a guide I'll spend about 800 HP per event, maybe less depending on how well the initial climb goes. You do get HP back prog/placement rewards though so it works out prob about 500 per event which I don't think is too bad.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Thought I'd add a reply because the options don't suit my personal PVP experience (which is only logical, read on...).

Since last week I have all 3*s champed, no 4*s over 140 and 2 5*s at 255. Ever since I added my first 5* I seem to get a lot of 4* opponents, or at least the first few times, and that is a thing I'm not prepared to spend my time and health packs on. So I basically join a PVP with 20-15 minutes left to go and hope for the best, lucky if I get to 200 points. Sometimes it will get me a top 100 or top 50 spot, but mostly under 200. I'm fine with that since I'm not willing to buy shields any time soon.

So it's my own choice, but I really can't be bothered to play a lot of PVP. Mind you, I have played a few seasons where I got to the 10-pack and then slacked off (so 350-400 per event) but even a 10-pack will generally only get you a little over 2500 Iso if you're lucky, and that is a lot of work for very little reward in my experience. And I have a lot of LT's and CP's saved up but don't have the roster spots to add new characters at the moment, so they'll have to wait.

You guessed it, I'm more of a PVE player. And I know, PVE is arguably more work for even less rewards, but I just enjoy playing PVE more.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I'm a mid-800s day 4* tier player with a still-developing 4* roster. 5 champion 4*s (XFW, Fury, Iceman, Rulk, FalCap), the majority of my other 4*s are between 8-11 covers nestled in the 170s (with a few exceptions) as my focus is being able to consistently win the 4* DDQ match right now. Most (29) of my 3* characters are championed living between levels 188-175. My non-champion 3*s hover between 120 and 140.

My roster goal is to 1) get as many 4*s as possible up and running for DDQ, 2) max out the level of the top two tiers of 4*s, and 3) work on leveling my champion-able 4*s when I'm not doing one of the other two. I'm F2P and never wanted to mess around with shield-hopping, so yeah, I accept that this limits my progress in PVP.

When I was using primarily 3* characters my float point was between 450-500. Much above that and I got a lot of hits during rests. 725 was my goal for each PVP to walk away +100 hp to help build my roster. I could usually push to about 850 before I started losing faster than I gained. Once in a blue moon I could hit 1K off one shield once I got around 900.

After championing a few 4* characters, PVP became a lot easier. 1K is a cake-walk on weeks where two of my champion 4*s are boosted, or during IM40 PVPs. (The one this season was so much fun.) I generally run Iceman regardless of boosts. However, I'm very much boost-dependent still. If the feature character is one of my non-championed 3*s, 1K is nearly impossible. If I have to use another 3* character on my team, it's completely impossible.

Generally I employ two teams - my climb (featured character / Iceman / IM40) and my rest (featured character / Iceman / highest-level boosted 4*). The rest team doesn't completely dissuade folks from hitting me, the frequency is just slightly reduced when I eliminate the 2nd 3* character.

Disclaimer: I do have a fairly well covered OML (2/3/1), but as PVE was my focus I soft-capped him at the level of my two highest non-5* characters (currently 273). With the change in PVE difficulty, I'm thinking it's time to get him up to 330-345 - high enough that he's an asset in PVP but not so high that I start seeing 5* tier teams all the time.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Optimus you are so close! a champed 4* thor will solve many of your PVP problems (if she hasn't already; I would bring her up to 250.
    ISO, ISO, ISO. It'll probably take me a month to get her there, and by then, who knows if I'll even still be here. And then PVP becomes 'ho hum, IM40+4hor every match, times 10-20, thrice a week, just to try to win a single 4* cover each event'... I'm sure I'll try it eventually but it doesn't sound riveting.
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I have 9 champed 3*. No 4* past 4 covers, so I use 3* exclusively in PvP.

I will shield occasionally, but not every event. The only way I ever reach 800 is with shielding, and even then I've only managed to do it a couple of times.

PvP became too frustrating when trying to get to 800 or remain in the top 100. I will play most events now without shielding and can get to 575 that way. My season goal is to get the 4000 season points for a 10-pack (which was all 2* the last time icon_evil.gif ). This last season I was able to get to 2000 in the simulator without any shields.
  • Vhailorx
    Ok, with 100+ votes in the poll and plenty if descriptive posts, maybe we can start to draw some conclusions.

(1) 800 seems like a reasonable high water goal for most 3* rosters in pvp (may require some shielding, but definitely doable)

(2) 1k is quite hard for 3* rosters. It can be done, but requires decent weekly boosts, and multiple shield good

(3) early 4* rosters can hit 1k with shielding but may struggle to hit 1300.

So what the hell is demi's ideal transition plan? 1*s build to 2*s naturally, and 2*s rosters can get 3* covers via pve. But what the hell do 3* rosters do? Hit max prog in pve and pop LTs until they get some 4*s built from RNG? That seems ridiculous.
  • I have switch, Cyc and fist champed and can hit around 600-700, this score usually nets me between 50-100 placement. How can someone get 5th with only 350 points?