the state of pvp for 3* rosters (and general poll)

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
What is the state of pvp for 3*-only players? There are so many vets in the 4* playspace on these boards that I think we tend to forget that the majority of players are still in 2* or 3* land.

Is 800 possible with 3*s? What about 1k? I assume 1300 is impossible, but am I wrong?

Please participate in the poll and add any additional thoughts below.

(note: no one is really 3* only these days. I just meant to indicate player with 3* A-teams)
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have about half of the 3* championed and a half dozen 4* at 7+ covers. Don't know where that falls.

Issue for me is I won't spend on shields, so anything past 400 or so is a slog.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    3* only here, 24 champions. I usually hit 725 for the HP, then abandon the event. I can get to 800 if I am exceptionally bored. My best score was about 960, I was pretty sad I could not hit 1000.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I predict the voting to be very bottom heavy. lots of crusty vets around.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    When i was "younger" i was trying to do PvP the hard way - kill as many as possible to get as high as possible... well, this was a huge problem because:
    - Limited heals
    - Players were pulling me down faster than i was able to grow up
    - Sooner or later i fought against roster with incredible power (mostly with 4* covers)

Now, my strategy is a bit different - i join PvP few dozens of minutes before the end - during this time i mostly manage to get enough point to end in top 100 - this is the worst possible outcome, mostly i am in top 25 or top 10. Yesterday i was 5th from 173 players with only 350 points...

And yeah, my roster is full of 3*s. I have many 4*s, but not enough iso to upgrade them over 3* covers... oh and i always use my 5* Wolverine.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have the ability to hit 1300, but I am making a choice to not bother to do it any more, for the most part. It's just too stressful to have that responsibility hanging over you every 2-3 days. And then when you finally do it and the immediately have to sell a useless 4* for 1000 iso because you won't be able to champion it within 2 weeks.. that's a very frustrating feeling that has happened far too often.

I think I was happier when I only could hit around 400, so I just played to there and then stopped. That was honestly good enough.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Is 800 possible with 3*s? What about 1k? I assume 1300 is impossible, but am I wrong?

In the last PvP of the season I found a guy with 2* Ares @ 117 as his/her highest character. He was worth 46 points while I was around 1100.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    immortal rage has a early 4* transitioner (roster might have progressed last I saw him) who plays mostly 3s and underleveled 4s that scores 1500-2K regularly. he's obviously an exception and not the rule, but it happens.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx wrote:

In the last PvP of the season I found a guy with 2* Ares @ 117 as his/her highest character. He was worth 46 points while I was around 1100.

Is said player now sandboxed? That's a hard score to get legitimately with a 2* team. A 2* team is easy prey above 500. That's 9 hops (assuming 1-match hops) to clear 1100 assuming you can get perfect 75 point matchups. So perfect coordination and at least 24 hours worth of strict shield hopping using 24 hours shields and getting all cupcakes? Not worth the effort!
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 18 champs in the 3* range. I can easily hit 800 with 1 shield or less as long as I have featured 3* and at least two of the boosted 3*s. Without the featured 3* I don't try to get past 650 and sometimes stop at 500. I can hit 1k with the feature boosted if I also have decent other boosted 3*s but it takes shield hops and a little luck/cupcakes.

I usually try to enter events as they open to get as many seed teams as possible and try to quickly get up to around 200 points. Then I leave the event completely alone for 24 usually getting knocked down to 100 with the early retaliations. At around the 24 hour mark I start my climb to 500 and can usually hang around 500 without attacks coming in too fast. At around the 14 hour mark I make my push to 800 and shield if I am trying to hold my points or just leave it if I don't.

If I am trying to hit 1K I'll push to 850 before my first 8 hour shield with the hope of getting 2 relatively high point matches that I can win quickly to get to 920 or so. Shield a second time for 3 hours, during which I am looking for cupcakes and/or matches that are high points but winable (no boosted/champed 4*s). If I can find two cupcakes it is an easy sprint to 1k. If not I try to quickly hit the first match and if I can win with boosts in under 2-3 minutes try the second match. If I can't hit the first match quickly enough I shield again and try for the last push in just one match. I've been able to hit 1k four times so far, 3 of which I managed to find a cupcake or two to get those last few points.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Is said player now sandboxed? That's a hard score to get legitimately with a 2* team. A 2* team is easy prey above 500. That's 9 hops (assuming 1-match hops) to clear 1100 assuming you can get perfect 75 point matchups. So perfect coordination and at least 24 hours worth of strict shield hopping using 24 hours shields and getting all cupcakes? Not worth the effort!

Between how lagged queue points are and the wacky MMR, I'd be surprised if it's that dire. Lord only knows who can actually see that team on the way up.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I had 3*s as my main roster, I could get to 1000 points, using lots and lots of shields. It was so incredibly nerve-wracking and stressful. I hated it. At least with my oml, I can climb without getting piled on left and right, for the most part. But now it's just not wanting to spend the time doing that.. wanting to go outside.. be with people...
  • Vhailorx
    mpqr7 wrote:
    *snip*
    wanting to go outside.. be with people...

Hahaha! Get out here non-nerd!!! Go play with the other 'normals'! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    wanting to go outside.. be with people...

LOL, are you sure its people and not pokeballs? lol
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    It's pretty much pointless to hammer PvP for me as a 3* scrublord.

I can hit people above me, but I'm REALLY easy to hit. Stick my head up over my float point and server lag will have me blasted back into the stone age before the system realises I'm a soft target and stops coughing up good points for me.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    I have 10 3* champs, and pretty much all the rest max covered at 120; I've been selling those covers because the ISO is too precious to keep investing there. I may champ a few second-tier 3* if I'm really short on boosteds for a certain week, we'll see. None of my 4* are above 172, but they're covered well enough that I can beat perhaps half of the 4* DDQ, at least until the newer characters start rolling through.

I've found that I can hit 1000 as long as I've got HP saved up for three shields. Charge to 800, shield 8hr/skip for three CCs; shield a day to CC to 1000, and shield out. I made 1300 once with an additional two hops; would have done it again for R&G, but there was some serious blood in the water at end of season. My fault for trying last hop in final hour of event.

I've had a lot of needed 4* in my last couple of vaults, though, so daily deals have chipped away at my reserves, and Wasp will eat what's left. Don't expect 1300 again for a couple weeks, but between T50 in PvE subs and a 2* farm that's beginning to turn over, I hope to keep hitting the 1k mark.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I have several 3*s champed (but not very high), most 2*s champed (decently high?), and a few non-usable 4*s. The only time I do well is when I join the event right when it starts and rack up around 200 points. Then I try to skip till I find a team I can beat, but it's hard to do so sometimes. I don't think I've ever broken 300.

Do I just suck? It's ok if the answer is yes. icon_lol.gif My roster doesn't seem super developed for a PVP event.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm solid 3*. I've got most of them champed. My 4* roster is developing, and I've only recently started using them in any game mode.

I aim for the heroic 10-pack at 4k season, so I usually tap out ~ 450 per event. The matches after that aren't necessarily insurmountable, but are generally low value for high cost - ie, raising my score by 30-40 pts will require expending health packs for further climb.

Caveat - I don't coordinate and I only shield when I've reached placement I don't want to lose. I'm far from optimal play.

When I stop I'm generally seeing low-level 5* with <3 powers and moderately leveled 4*.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Calnexin wrote:
    I'm solid 3*. I've got most of them champed. My 4* roster is developing, and I've only recently started using them in any game mode.

I aim for the heroic 10-pack at 4k season, so I usually tap out ~ 450 per event. The matches after that aren't necessarily insurmountable, but are generally low value for high cost - ie, raising my score by 30-40 pts will require expending health packs for further climb.

Caveat - I don't coordinate and I only shield when I've reached placement I don't want to lose. I'm far from optimal play.

When I stop I'm generally seeing low-level 5* with <3 powers and moderately leveled 4*.

Forgot to mention myself, since it IS relevant, I shoot for the Heroic 10 Pack and only screwed up once when I was too busy in real life.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think I've ever broken 300.

Do I just suck? It's ok if the answer is yes. icon_lol.gif My roster doesn't seem super developed for a PVP event.

No, you don't suck. I have the same feeling, but it's all based on your roster. The replies above indicate the people reaching 1k are doing it with developed 4* rosters, or 3* rosters with a lot of shields. With 2* champs and a few 3* your main focus should be DDQ and PvE. Climb as high as you can in PvP but temper your expectations with the replies in this thread - you're not going to get very far until your roster fills out.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think a 3* player can aim (and succeed at) 800 in PvP.

Higher and it will require heavy shield spending.

Although my roster looks like 4* it was not long ago I was a 3* player and 800 is a realistic target