**** Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) ****

Comments

• Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I like to play her (5/3/5) with Bl4de (5/5/3). When Blade creates his strike tiles, use Wasp's "Tactical Intuition" and soon you'll have a few 1k strike/protection tiles! Since there's no active purple ability and Blade's fairly mediocre green AOE I tend to pair them with a good purple/green-user like Jean Grey or Gwenpool.
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Polares wrote:
    kobu wrote:

For those who are going to miss this point: BLACK ADDED A STRIKE TILE. IT NO LONGER DOES, AND THAT MAKES WASP LESS EFFECTIVE.

Well she has lost a bit yeah, but now her black is cheaper, does more damage and does not drain any blue. Then yellow is now just 5 instead of 8, etc, etc. So I would not say this is a huge nerf.

She was never good as a special tiles producer so basically Devs have acknowledged that, you should bring someone else to create those tiles, Blade, Punisher, Nova, Luke, IMHB (who creates both shields and strikes), etc. She is much better now than before, much much better, but she is no special tile creator, and you should not rely in her for that.

But with yellow at just 5 she might be the first one to create the special tiles, this is why it is important for yellow to do something when there are no special tiles, then other chars will keep producing more tiles... This is how you should use her IMO.

Edit: Oh yes I forgot ProfX, who is a great teammate for her. Get 5 yellow, create two tiles, then create 3 more for free, and then keep swapping and buffing to infinite.

Being great with ProfX hasn't changed, but she is definitely much better off paired with a tile producer now. There was more freedom in whom she paired with before.

Black draining blue simply didn't matter before except really early stages. After a bit it was really pointless. That going away is a good thing, but it hardly mattered anyway.

Yellow producing tiles is a fringe case where your tile producer hasn't gotten anything out. It's okay...but the trick before was to pair off yellow and black. Much easier to get one or other, and increasing both with the passive. She was much more of a wrecking ball before on her own, and insanely strong along with Charles. Now it's pretty much straight yellow support for your main tile maker, and black only if you don't have a better power on someone else. A stun is nice when you need it, but I find I rarely use it now.

I still like her, but it's like more like using IM40. Slow, slow, slow when you don't get that initial yellow, and overall a little less interesting in strategy.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    There was more freedom in whom she paired with before.

Disagree. With her changes, I can use her with a number of other teams. And (most importantly) the teams you used her with before are far more efficient and SIGNIFICANTLY faster.
    Black draining blue simply didn't matter before except really early stages. After a bit it was really pointless. That going away is a good thing, but it hardly mattered anyway.

Disagree again. The wasp sting was really good at keeping the opponent at bay and getting 2 AP every turn. Considering how long it took a team with her on it (and believe me, there were VERY FEW of those) to get going and keep momentum, it was a significant buff. Then there's the fact that her black took away from that passive and it pretty much meant, you weren't using her black except very early/less than 8 blue AP/without a blue user.
    It's okay...but the trick before was to pair off yellow and black. Much easier to get one or other, and increasing both with the passive.

You must be talking about her with just Charles. Because otherwise, you weren't combining yellow and black but one time (rarely two without an accelerator), since her yellow costed 8. So that was gonna be 16 yellow (and 8 black) to make it and flip strong as opposed to using 15 yellow for a FAR stronger strike tile.
    She was much more of a wrecking ball before on her own,

Lol. What?!
    insanely strong along with Charles. Now it's pretty much straight yellow support for your main tile maker, and black only if you don't have a better power on someone else. A stun is nice when you need it, but I find I rarely use it now.

I'm seriously starting to think we're using different Wasps. Maybe your update moved her to the old Wasp or something.

You might use her black once, early on. Unless of course, you pretty much didnt care about her passive and didn't like getting free AP and damage from it. Which could be understandable, since it wasn't great before. And that was partly because her black robbed her from it for a stun (which made it worse).
    I still like her, but it's like more like using IM40. Slow, slow, slow when you don't get that initial yellow, and overall a little less interesting in strategy.
    [/quote]

L
    O
    L

It takes you 5 yellow to get going. But if for some reason you can't get that 5, you can collect blue and at 6 blue, you can even STEAL the AP and (far more importantly) hold off your opponent while you get more AP. Before you needed 9-10 blue. And with her change, her black does more damage. But you're all up in arms about this one strike tile that isn't even all that strong to begin with.

She's a threat now. Especially on defense. And on more teams and by herself than before. And she STILL has that strike tile that you're all up in arms about. It simply moved to her yellow. And it costs less. That's it.

She's not slow at all.
    You can use her on way more teams. (Hell, I can even throw her with Falcap and 3* mags because getting 14 yellow is more attainable than 17)
    The teams she was on before became faster and more dangerous.
    She can do work by herself. (She couldn't before. Idky you think she could)
    Her self-synergy is more efficient, stronger, and faster.
    And she didn't lose that strike tile. It simply moved. And a shield was added. (But who wants to stay alive longer, amirite?)
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread really makes me laugh. Especialy the part about old wasp being a wrecking ball.

Before she was a very VERY niche character who could only be used in pve.

Now you can pair her with a mutitude of partners.

Every one one of her skills is cheaper so whether anyone likes to admit or not the numbers say she is quicker. Every one of her skills got stronger, her tile buff was laughable before and her black made her blue useless (if you could get it going at all). Now her buff is genuinely scary and it's cheap price means it will happen a lot. I know because I use her a lot. Her black does solid damage and doesn't make blue useless. Blue is now 6ap and once it's up it's continuous steal for the rest of the match

In addition to this...you can now use her in PvP thanks to the aforementioned speed and insanely good support skull set. So she was improved for pve and actually became usable in PvP. Pair her with Carol get blue going then tell me she's not crazy good

She is most definitely much much better after the change. She was destined to remain level 70 on my roster until her change...now she's champed.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread really makes me laugh.
    You mean: one particular poster here really makes you laugh. I know I did.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread really makes me laugh.
    You mean: one particular poster here really makes you laugh. I know I did.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Like using her with Patch and 3* Falcon. Using berserker rage and switching those strikes to balance out the enemy strikes, then switch them back before using birdstrike. Gets tons more damage on the AOE and throws some protects out in case the enemy still has some strikes out. Double buffing with Falcon's yellow.

Also used her with Hawkguy, fire off boomerang, switch the strikes to protects, let the countdown resolve, switch them back to keep all the strikes boomerang makes. Works with Kate too.

She's at 3/5/5 lvl 175 right now, want to eventually champ her but I have others to do first.

And yeah, she's so much better now I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    I have champed Wasp, C4ge, and Mr. F, and I used the three during the last Venom event when the latter two were boosted. That was a truly amazing team.
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Just champed her and she is looking deadly with my buddy profX
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Question from someone who is just starting to use Wasp more seriously (12 covers now, and will pay the 120CP if I have to to champ her).

How much of her awesomness will go away when the devs fix the CD bug, and will that change the way people play her? I think it's funny how much of a difference one point of damage makes...

Thanks in advance!

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    The CD bug is making her devastating in certain team combinations, but even after it's fixed she will still be very useful, IMO. You're pretty much always going to have a character or two on the boosted list that creates strike or protect tiles, and she will continue to shine in a support role flipping/buffing tiles and stealing AP. She has unique game mechanics and a relatively rare color combination.

I wouldn't prioritize her over the likes of Carol or Medusa but she is worth the ISO; I definitely use her a lot.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that even without the awesome countdown bug she'll still be enormously fun. I love buffing tiles, so running Wasp (4/5/1)/C4rol (2/4/5)/Starlord (5/3/3) has caused a great deal of manic grinning. Once you start getting Starlord's yellow countdowns out you can buff/flip for only 3 AP, and you can occasionally blow up a Starlord yellow or purple countdown with Carol's yellow to make one of Wasp's countdown tiles fall into a match four-position. Then you howl with glee as the enemy matches the buzzing Wasp tile, punching itself in the face for 7k+. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasp
    Falcap
    Switch/TAH

I run 3* Falcon and Wasp a lot for that Wings Intuition combo. So with Wasp + Falcap, I wanted I wanted to see how long it would take to get 14 yellow and 14 red. But a funny thing happened..... I never got it. And it was the best thing to happen. 

With Wasp w/Falcap you don't try to get the big combo. This team is for tile buffing, it speeds up CDs, steals AP, and some timely misdirection. You won't be using blue but it's important to match them to A) get to 6AP to steal AP, B) buff tiles, and C) speed up CDs. You don't use Falcaps yellow to flood the field with shields and then try to gather more yellow to Janet to flip. Unless you have a good board, it'll take too long. You use Wasps yellow to get the strike + shield and you constantly buff it with another Tactical Intuition or with FalCaps blue passive (simply match blue). Those two tiles will add up so quickly you'll be shocked. 

Switch blends very well with them. Her awesome purple is killer and her blue CD tile can give you free blue matches, crits, board shake, and it gets sped up by blue matches. With her green, you have a rainbow team and you'll be surprised how often you'll be firing something or close to. 

TAH I like with them because his CD does damage and his green is destructive. He's also got a bunch of HP to take hits. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Evangeline Lily is so not Janet Van Dyne in the Ant-Man movie, but I've been a fan of hers since the Lost pilot (you guys know what I mean, right?) that I don't care. Looking forward to #2.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78438

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Evangeline Lily is so not Janet Van Dyne in the Ant-Man movie, but I've been a fan of hers since the Lost pilot (you guys know what I mean, right?) that I don't care. Looking forward to #2.

Fantastic!
    And yes, she is absolutely stunning. Did you see her in LotR? 
    Looking forward to it.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:

Fantastic!
    And yes, she is absolutely stunning. Did you see her in LotR? 
    Looking forward to it.
    No! No! No no no no no no no no!!! You did not just equate The Hobbit ***shudders*** to the awesome epicness that was The Lord of the Rings!

Never really warmed up to her... The Kate heavy episodes were a drag for me for some reason... 

But wasp rocks!
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,106 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just ran into an interesting event with Wasp in the Falcon PvP event.  (Wasp/Falcon/Thing is a fun team!)  I was curious if this is how it was intended to work, or if it's a bug.

I had my 6 blue out, so a "That Buzzing Sound" tile was out.  The AI had an "Anti-Gravity Device" team up, and used it to increase the timer on Wasp's timer from 1 to 4.  The next turn, the counter ticked down to 3, but then she created a new Buzzing Sound tile.  Is she supposed to have multiple timers on the board at once?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just ran into an interesting event with Wasp in the Falcon PvP event.  (Wasp/Falcon/Thing is a fun team!)  I was curious if this is how it was intended to work, or if it's a bug.

I had my 6 blue out, so a "That Buzzing Sound" tile was out.  The AI had an "Anti-Gravity Device" team up, and used it to increase the timer on Wasp's timer from 1 to 4.  The next turn, the counter ticked down to 3, but then she created a new Buzzing Sound tile.  Is she supposed to have multiple timers on the board at once?
    Her passive ability creates one each turn as long as you have enough Blue AP. There's no "if one does not already exist" clause that you see on other similar passives like Switch, TAHulk, etc...
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,106 Chairperson of the Boards

Her passive ability creates one each turn as long as you have enough Blue AP. There's no "if one does not already exist" clause that you see on other similar passives like Switch, TAHulk, etc...
    I'd never read that ability's description closely enough to notice that she could have more than one out at a time.  Thanks.  No need to file a bug report then. :wink:
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Time to bust out our dusty old Bagmans and team him with Wasp!