**** Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) ****

Comments

• TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Felonius wrote:
    Today's DDQ had a node that required Wasp, 3* Falcon, and 2* Bullseye... It was crazy efficient... Match was over once I fired Falcon's purple, then Wasp's yellow.

Same here! It was great! Can't wait to get her fully covered.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I liked Wasp before her update, so I decided to spend my precious Iso to champ her. With the right team she makes insane special tiles.

My favorite team for the Iron Fist PvP:
    buff_new.pngwasp_icon.png | buff_new.pngicon_ironfist.png | icon_thing.png

I've always skipped Lvl 550 5* teams in the past, but In Fist Bump I thought I would give it a try. With Wasp and a bit of luck, I was able to beat a lvl 550 5* Thanos_Icon.png | icon_blackwidow.png team. The 5* match damage would eventually trigger icon_thing.pngyellowflag.png, which would keep the team alive until it could be combined with icon_ironfist.pnggreenflag.png and wasp_icon.pngyellowflag.png. Near the end, I was taking no damage and doing 13K match damage.

icon_thing.png | wasp_icon.png will be great in boss battles (In PvP, she's alot of fun too, just don't expect to always win on defense icon_e_smile.gif )
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    TeamStewie wrote:
    Felonius wrote:
    Today's DDQ had a node that required Wasp, 3* Falcon, and 2* Bullseye... It was crazy efficient... Match was over once I fired Falcon's purple, then Wasp's yellow.

Same here! It was great! Can't wait to get her fully covered.

I was lucky enough to have enough yellow to fire it 3 times .... THAT was killer!! protect.png -> strike.png -> protect.png -> strike.png .... and my Wasp is extremely uncovered currently. Can't wait to try this same time sometime when I have her better covered.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    She goes great with any Strike or Protect tile spammer now. Been using her with 4* Cage or my lvl 315 OML (sometimes both) for plenty to flip. After a few turn the damage is unreal and I’m barely taking any damage. As long as the special tiles keep coming (like Cage), you'll have a good mix of both types so its not all damage or all protect each flip. Especially with OML, fire her yellow for a strike and a protect, which then trigger’s OML’s red for more strike tiles – from there you’re good to go, as he tanks her black and yellow anyway.

Starlord is proving a good partner too. You may only have 1 strike and 1 protect from her yellow, but with him reducing AP costs, you’ll be firing yellow so much it won’t matter. I had no problems with that Juggs/ 2 Muscles node from the Groot PVE with Wasp/Starlord/4* Cage this past week (and that was before the countdown bug from this last update).

I’m actually kinda afraid they may nerf her eventually, but we’ll see how she is on a non-boosted week. Really happy I champed her month ago, was kinda of regretting it for a bit until this.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Preferrably a Protect-tile spammer, I'd say, so that one use is enough to get you a bunch of strong strike tiles. One of each would be even better, of course. If we get a 4* Iron Fist, and he makes Strike tiles passively or easily... I may never use anyone else ever again.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Her powers need to be fixed on the first page of this thread to reflect her recent updates
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I've been using Wasp everyday since she came out. The overall change with black losing the strike tile feels like a huge nerf.
  • Koffitok
    Koffitok Posts: 87
    kobu wrote:
    I've been using Wasp everyday since she came out. The overall change with black losing the strike tile feels like a huge nerf.
    "A huge nerf"? How so?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koffitok wrote:
    kobu wrote:
    "A huge nerf"? How so?

That is quite a difficult one to understand, the strike isn't gone you just get a better one plus a protect tile if you need them on the yellow power and in any case the loss of the strike from black is more than offset by the increase in damage even before you consider the removal of the ap drain that is a major buff.

One thing I would have liked them to do with the yellow power would be to create a strike or protect if only one of them is present to avoid the need to hoard yellow (so you can flip it twice) if you get into the position of only having one of the two types.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Crowl wrote:
    Koffitok wrote:
    kobu wrote:
    "A huge nerf"? How so?

That is quite a difficult one to understand, the strike isn't gone you just get a better one plus a protect tile if you need them on the yellow power and in any case the loss of the strike from black is more than offset by the increase in damage even before you consider the removal of the ap drain that is a major buff.

One thing I would have liked them to do with the yellow power would be to create a strike or protect if only one of them is present to avoid the need to hoard yellow (so you can flip it twice) if you get into the position of only having one of the two types.

I thought that too, although honestly at this point I'm not sure it matters that much. Also, if you have 5-6 strong protect tiles and no Strike tiles, would you want to spend 5 AP just to create a Strike tile?
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I say kudos to the devs on this rework, because Wasp has gone from a character that I found mostly useless to one that I would really like to champion soon.

I personally don't have a lot of 4* with a good active yellow, and I really enjoy using hers now that it's cheap and can create its own special tiles. She obviously works well with strike or protect generators, but I've found that just buffing her own strikes can make her a good partner for any character that does consistent damage with attack tiles or cheap/passive powers.

I am now able to keep her blue CD out much more reliably, making her a better teammate with characters that interact positively with CD tiles (e.g. Carol, Star-Lord, Coulson). Black is now useful since it doesn't drain blue.
    She has more health and can usually get protect tiles into play when they are needed, significantly improving her durability.

Overall, I think Demi has really transformed her into the fun support character that she was always intended to be. Thumbs up.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    bigsmooth wrote:
    I say kudos to the devs on this rework, because Wasp has gone from a character that I found mostly useless to one that I would really like to champion soon.

I personally don't have a lot of 4* with a good active yellow, and I really enjoy using hers now that it's cheap and can create its own special tiles. She obviously works well with strike or protect generators, but I've found that just buffing her own strikes can make her a good partner for any character that does consistent damage with attack tiles or cheap/passive powers.

I am now able to keep her blue CD out much more reliably, making her a better teammate with characters that interact positively with CD tiles (e.g. Carol, Star-Lord, Coulson). Black is now useful since it doesn't drain blue.
    She has more health and can usually get protect tiles into play when they are needed, significantly improving her durability.

Overall, I think Demi has really transformed her into the fun support character that she was always intended to be. Thumbs up.
    100% agreement! I championed Wasp today and had really fun using her in Shield Sim with Peggy and Red Hulk.

I think that 5/3/5 is now the way to go for her.

PS: I would be nice to see her new stats in the initial post.
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Crowl wrote:
    Koffitok wrote:
    kobu wrote:
    "A huge nerf"? How so?

Again, having used her every single day since her release (placed well and got lucky with early covers), she's definitely slowed down without the interaction between black and yellow. It looks good on paper to be able to rely on spamming yellow to build tiles, but the black ADDING a tile was the game changer. With that gone, it's much harder to build to dominance on wave nodes. I used to laugh at wave nodes others gave up on. Yellow only adds if there are no tiles to begin with. Yes, flipping them is awesome, but it's much slower than before considering how easy it is to lose tiles here and there.

For those who are going to miss this point: BLACK ADDED A STRIKE TILE. IT NO LONGER DOES, AND THAT MAKES WASP LESS EFFECTIVE.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    kobu wrote:

For those who are going to miss this point: BLACK ADDED A STRIKE TILE. IT NO LONGER DOES, AND THAT MAKES WASP LESS EFFECTIVE.

Well she has lost a bit yeah, but now her black is cheaper, does more damage and does not drain any blue. Then yellow is now just 5 instead of 8, etc, etc. So I would not say this is a huge nerf.

She was never good as a special tiles producer so basically Devs have acknowledged that, you should bring someone else to create those tiles, Blade, Punisher, Nova, Luke, IMHB (who creates both shields and strikes), etc. She is much better now than before, much much better, but she is no special tile creator, and you should not rely in her for that.

But with yellow at just 5 she might be the first one to create the special tiles, this is why it is important for yellow to do something when there are no special tiles, then other chars will keep producing more tiles... This is how you should use her IMO.

Edit: Oh yes I forgot ProfX, who is a great teammate for her. Get 5 yellow, create two tiles, then create 3 more for free, and then keep swapping and buffing to infinite.
  • Jaedenkaal
    kobu wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    Koffitok wrote:
    kobu wrote:
    "A huge nerf"? How so?

Again, having used her every single day since her release (placed well and got lucky with early covers), she's definitely slowed down without the interaction between black and yellow. It looks good on paper to be able to rely on spamming yellow to build tiles, but the black ADDING a tile was the game changer. With that gone, it's much harder to build to dominance on wave nodes. I used to laugh at wave nodes others gave up on. Yellow only adds if there are no tiles to begin with. Yes, flipping them is awesome, but it's much slower than before considering how easy it is to lose tiles here and there.

Ok, congrats, you've found an edge case where you've lost some functionality. And the caps lock key. Just bring someone else who makes tiles. Even just Prof X would work. Or someone who makes a bunch of Protect tiles at once, basically no matter how good they are (Sam Wilson of either kind, Gwenpool, Magneto, Luke Cage 4* on wave nodes with mostly goons)
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    She's pretty sick. Used her with 3 star Blade and Falcon. Falcon had 756 health left when Moonstone used her red, with me already flipping tiles to protect, it only did 2 damage to Falcon. Same turn Mystique used her black and did 1 damage to Falcon lol. Then flipped tiles to strike and Falcons purple hit for over 3.5k damage to the whole team and more protect tiles.

I know this isn't the beat all team in every situation buts it's still incredible. No matter when you flip tiles with this team you always end up with a mix of strong protect and strike tiles. Combined with Blade and Wasp stealing AP, Falcons purple hitting the whole team for elevated damage with tiles out and adding protects when you turned board to strikes is fun. Same time Falcons blue removing special tiles and boosting yours with his yellow. Team is missing a green active but still a heck of team.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    kobu wrote:
    Yes. Her black no longer creates a strike tile. That's one step back.

But her black also no longer drains blue AP in order to stun. That's 10 steps forward.

Her yellow is cheaper now and can be used anytime, not just only when there are already strikes and/or protects on the board. That's 10 steps forward.

Lastly, blue is now easier to activate. That's a step forward.

Your point is?
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Your point is?

Um, 21 steps forward, 1 step back?
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Wasp/Luke/Jean is a brutal combo.

I'd spec Wasp 5/3/5, Luke 3/5/5 and Jean at 5/3/5. Wasp will convert the protects into strikes, Jean can make a few of her own special tiles and hopefully at least one attack tile to take advantage of the wild amount of strikes you'll be leaving around. You'll have nukes, stuns, AoE with an active power on every color but blue.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Wasp/Luke/Jean is a brutal combo.

I'd spec Wasp 5/3/5, Luke 3/5/5 and Jean at 5/3/5. Wasp will convert the protects into strikes, Jean can make a few of her own special tiles and hopefully at least one attack tile to take advantage of the wild amount of strikes you'll be leaving around. You'll have nukes, stuns, AoE with an active power on every color but blue.

I use Wasp/Luke/PX. PX will make strike tiles each time you fire Wasp's yellow (or any other power for that matter). Also, if you get enough purple, turn PX invisible and buff tiles even more.