I'm not buying shields. Ever.

Comments

• mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I have used shielding once and let me tell you, IT WAS WORTH IT. I grinded first to top 20 then put up a shield baang stayed in top 25 and received 2 3*s which I needed and 100HP, which basically gave me back my HP almost. It is worth it, just time it right.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Hendross wrote:
    If you want to compete for the same prizes, shouldn't you play with the same people?

I would say no, otherwise noob brackets wouldn't exist at all.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd strongly recommend against going for placement unless you are in a baby bracket where it may be possible to top 25 or better with 1k points. Alternatively, sniping a bracket towards the end may allow you to take good placement at the cost of the progression rewards, and in my opinion, progression rewards are much better than placement ones. 1 more 3* cover and the additional pittance of HP and Iso are not worth the cost of additional shields/stress.

Climb to 800+ early, shield, and then go for 1k, then forget about it. You'll very likely remain top 100, anyway.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    What you've all forgotten what playing pvp without shields was like?
  • Every other game I have played that has ranking system has different ranks to avoid the super strong preying on the weak and also to avoid someone from a very low rank snipe higher. Its super **** that someone that has less than 50 points snipe someone that has over 700. Most games are bracketed every 200 or so to avoid this kind of thing. PVP is broken.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I built my roster as a collector first, a PVE player second, and as such I'm just not quite right for PVP yet (my Patch and Dakken 3* are languishing nowhere, while true healing seems really important to hit your float point).

But I have managed to do okay using 1 or 2 shields before now. If you're using shields to do okay, then you should be using a negligible amount of HP.

I see dedicated PVP play as something I'm close to but not quite ready for. Not something I need to flip tables over :p
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross wrote:
    If you want to compete for the same prizes, shouldn't you play with the same people?

No one said they shouldn't exist, but it's poor game design not to have players competing for prizes that are appropriate for the level to which they've progressed so far...
  • We_are_Venom
    simonsez wrote:
    Hendross wrote:

No one said they shouldn't exist, but it's poor game design not to have players competing for prizes that are appropriate for the level to which they've progressed so far...

I don't see facing champed 5* rosters in order to get a 3* cover as appropriate for the level.
    I agree with what your saying, but his idea of a universal pool being fair because everyone is competing for the same prize is just not true. If the devs felt it was, noob brackets wouldn't exist at all. So there is a need to bracket off segments of the player base for the sake of fairness, the devs just don't go far enough with it.
    It's like scaling, and as it is my scaling reaches champed 5* rosters in PvP. People have been complaining about PvE scaling being out of control for a while, and those levels are usually within 100 levels. I'm finding teams where 1 character is more than double my 2 highest characters combined, outside of my nearly unusable IM5*. If that was PvE scaling for us players, the forums would be set ablaze, but for PvP it's just another day at the office for some reason.
    I'm not going to use shields to cling to a 3* cover anymore because A) it's not worth it B) The competition above me becomes so absurdly hard it's the equivalent of punching a brick wall. Can my fist break through a brick wall? Theoretically I guess it's possible. With a combination of crazy luck and help from influences outside my control, but that's not a reason to try considering what the cost of failure is. Same with PvP.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't see facing champed 5* rosters in order to get a 3* cover as appropriate for the level.
    No one said it is. You're still missing the point. Noob brackets are fine. But it's not fine that the prize structure is identical to a vet bracket. PvE and PvP should both have events running simultaneously that offer tiered competition. They've had almost 3 years to tweak scaling and MMR and still don't have a system that works well for either. Nor is there any reason for a 3 star roster and a 5 star roster to be competing for the same prizes.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Well if the devs fell it's needed it must be true. Given the devs track record if they felt it was a bad idea for me to run naked through the streets I'd immediately strip of my clothes and start running through traffic.
  • We_are_Venom
    simonsez wrote:
    No one said it is. You're still missing the point. Noob brackets are fine. But it's not fine that the prize structure is identical to a vet bracket. PvE and PvP should both have events running simultaneously that offer tiered competition. They've had almost 3 years to tweak scaling and MMR and still don't have a system that works well for either. Nor is there any reason for a 3 star roster and a 5 star roster to be competing for the same prizes.

For sure, totally agree.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I'm almost up to 20 champed 3*s and have never yet made 1000 points in pvp. Once I spent like 500 HP on shields and successfully made 900, but quickly decided that I need to choose between spending money on HP or spending HP on shields, since doing both meant was I was spending money on shields, which I'm not willing to do.

So what's the secret? How do you make 1000 points off only one or two shields?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    Well if the devs fell it's needed it must be true. Given the devs track record if they felt it was a bad idea for me to run naked through the streets I'd immediately strip of my clothes and start running through traffic.
    So full of hate there.
    Let go of your obsession.
    Happy kiwi be.

Haiku of the day.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    KIWI SMASH!!!!

Actually this is Happy Kiwi. You can tell since the filters didn't turn every third word into tinykitty. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can my fist break through a brick wall?

With the proper training and discipline, yes you can. Same principle for MPQ. Train up your characters and reaching 1k and even 1300 is not only possible, but doable on a regular basis with or without shields.

And for the quote below, I just couldn't resist. icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

FierceKiwi wrote:
    Well if the devs felt it's needed it must be true. Given the devs track record if they felt it was a bad idea for me to run naked through the streets I'd immediately strip of my clothes and start running through traffic.

wjmaa4H.jpg
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    For the skilled player, shields are a resource to score above his roster level and meet goals. For everyone else it's just a money grab.
  • We_are_Venom
    Omega Red wrote:
    For the skilled player, shields are a resource to score above his roster level and meet goals. For everyone else it's just a money grab.

Shirely you can't be serious. It's a match 3 game, not the Masters. Try whaling your way into the NFL, which requires actual skill, and see how far you get.

*It reads aggressive, not intended to be.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm almost up to 20 champed 3*s and have never yet made 1000 points in pvp. Once I spent like 500 HP on shields and successfully made 900, but quickly decided that I need to choose between spending money on HP or spending HP on shields, since doing both meant was I was spending money on shields, which I'm not willing to do.

So what's the secret? How do you make 1000 points off only one or two shields?
    Before I had usable 4*, I used a lot of HP chasing higher, and learning how to play fast, when the quiet times were so I was less likely to get hit, and how to beat 4*. I used lots of boosts, amd when hopping I would run Deadpool and Scarlet Witch with +AP boosts to hit super whales then shield, cos at those scores, my 3* teams were massive targets.
    It was all Ftp, so I'd pick and choose the 4*s I wanted to chase, depending on who they were and who was boosted, amd use the other events to build the HP back up.
    I'm in Scotland, and find that 6am GMT was often quiet while I was having my breakfast.
    I experimented with finish times, starting late and starting early.

It took months to work out what worked best for me, and was one of the most enjoyable phases of the game I found.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:

Shirely you can't be serious. It's a match 3 game, not the Masters. Try whaling your way into the NFL, which requires actual skill, and see how far you get.

*It reads aggressive, not intended to be.

It doesn't matter how simple the rules or the gameplay are, if you want to succeed at high levels you need to know and understand the finer points of strategy. "Skills" can be intellectual, no just athletic feats.
  • VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    Funny you reply keep whales in whales bracket. As a player with champed 5's I think it is **** that for the first 700 puts of pvp every team I encounter is at that level. Unfortunately most are friends. This is the only game that "punishes" players for scaling up. And what do I get for beating these teams, yes the same rewards you get. And yes I do shield.