I'm not buying shields. Ever.

We_are_Venom
We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm not going to buy shields in PvP. I don't care if I go 900-0 in a day, I'm not doing it. It's not because I don't want to support the game financially because i do, and I contribute regularly, it's because I refuse to buy in to the atrocious scam of a pvp system that's in place.
Pair me with teams in line with my roster I'll buy in. Limit whales to whale brackets, I'll buy in. I don't have any issues with whales whaling, good for them, but that shouldn't mean I'm forced to compete against them when my average roster level is 190.
Maybe they make a killing from people buy HP for shields, but it's not going to be me contributing.

Comments

• Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Then you are missing out on a lot of fun. Simple as that.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    you r never going to get to 1,000 with that attitude!

i don't think people use $$$ to buy shields in most cases, you get a good amount of HP just from playing the game. Whenever I've used $$$ to buy HP it was to get a cover pack, not to get shields.
  • We_are_Venom
    Then you are missing out on a lot of fun. Simple as that.

By being unable to play that event while it's up? I guess maybe that's true since I'd end up playing Dark Souls 3. Hardly seems like the result they are looking for, though.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use shields to reach the progression rewards I want. I don't care much about placement rewards. I only spend the Hero Points I earn in-game.
    I choose to work within the system. You choose to walk away. To each their own.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I buy HP once in a while, but it's never because I don't have enough to shield. If your roster is decent you should be able to make 1k on a 3h and an 8h, which doesn't cost much. I get more than enough just by playing normally.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for sharing.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I make lots of HP from champion rewards, so spending up to 225 hp on shields isn't a problem (8-hr and 3-hr), although usually I only just do one 8-hr shield and call it a day. Presumably my alliance prefers that I stay up at 1300+ instead of falling back down to 400.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    i went from 0 to 1600 in under 2 hours today without a shield.. and since i am not caring about the season, i don't plan on shielding, so will end around 400 most likely, if you just want the progression, it is pretty easy to do really.

Not shielding isn't for any noble reason, just broke.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Pair me with teams in line with my roster I'll buy in. Limit whales to whale brackets, I'll buy in. I don't have any issues with whales whaling, good for them, but that shouldn't mean I'm forced to compete against them when my average roster level is 190.
    They kind of already do this? The 5* MMR is so bonkers that whales can almost exclusively target other whales in PvP.

Not sure what you are so upset about.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know a couple of players who only climb in last hour and don't shield at all. They hit 1k and 1300 using this method.

Just because you don't shield don't mean you can't play.

Personally I only ever buy 1 shield (either 3 or 8 hour) and it's usually enough
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    i went from 0 to 1600 in under 2 hours today without a shield.. and since i am not caring about the season, i don't plan on shielding, so will end around 400 most likely, if you just want the progression, it is pretty easy to do really.

Yeah it is pretty easy if you have champed 4s and 5s, but the thread creator said his max level is 190. How can anybody get to 1300 with a team of 3s without shields?

Then, with just one 75HP shield you can probably get at least to 1000 if you climb at the right time. I dont get this "I wont buy a shield ever" mentality.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Yeah it is pretty easy if you have champed 4s and 5s, but the thread creator said his max level is 190. How can anybody get to 1300 with a team of 3s without shields?

Then, with just one 75HP shield you can probably get at least to 1000 if you climb at the right time. I dont get this "I wont buy a shield ever" mentality.

Not only that, climbing to 1k gets you 100hp in progression even before placement rewards are counted, and gets you a place in a ranking alliance - extra 50hp in top 250/100. You don't have to play a single cent if that's your preference.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I'm personally willing to drop the HP (that I earn while playing) on a 3hr and 8hr to get me to 1000. The problem is that as soon as I'm unshielded at any point past about 700 someone hits me. It seems like there is always someone with a better roster than me climbing no matter when I'm playing so my champed 3*'s always get hit. Add that to the fact that most people past 700+ points are shielded or are champed 4*'s or better and the gameplay experience is more stressful than fun if you're trying to get progression in PvP.

I sympathize with the OP because I have the same gameplay experiences. I sometimes can't even do a 2 fight shield hop without getting hit so I waste my HP and don't get progression.
  • We_are_Venom
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

I PvP still. Why I won't shield is so i am not contributing to the PvP process of spending HP on shields in a desperate effort to preserve points. The system is inadequate as it is and to contribute to it with my opinion being as it is would make me a hypocrite. I want the rewards as much as the next player, but I'll forego the rewards, and the spending of HP/health packs that the devs are looking for, to stand by how I feel.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    I'm personally willing to drop the HP (that I earn while playing) on a 3hr and 8hr to get me to 1000. The problem is that as soon as I'm unshielded at any point past about 700 someone hits me. It seems like there is always someone with a better roster than me climbing no matter when I'm playing so my champed 3*'s always get hit. Add that to the fact that most people past 700+ points are shielded or are champed 4*'s or better and the gameplay experience is more stressful than fun if you're trying to get progression in PvP.

I sympathize with the OP because I have the same gameplay experiences. I sometimes can't even do a 2 fight shield hop without getting hit so I waste my HP and don't get progression.

I'm in a similar boat, have never hit 1000 with my 3* champs. I do spend on shields if I like the reward at 800 though and for the Peggy PVP even tried my best to get get to 1k making several hops. After 800 I was taking more hits than gaining ground per shield hop so I gave up.

I like my chances to break my streak in the Beast PVP though since I will be able to field a pretty decent team for the first time with Beast at 301, Blade at 248 and Hulk at 254. If nothing else I think that team will at least keep me from getting hit regularly by other 3* teams although I expect that once I get past 700 or so I will get spanked by the 4* teams.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Just wanted to point out, the OP said his AVERAGE level is 190. I know for a fact that he has championed 4*'s, I've attacked his team before (and vice versa. All's fair in love and PVP).
  • We_are_Venom
    Meander wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Just wanted to point out, the OP said his AVERAGE level is 190. I know for a fact that he has championed 4*'s, I've attacked his team before (and vice versa. All's fair in love and PVP).

Average usable, really.

I think you are mistaking me for someone else https://imgur.com/3yY1X0F
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Jarvind wrote:
    I buy HP once in a while, but it's never because I don't have enough to shield. If your roster is decent you should be able to make 1k on a 3h and an 8h, which doesn't cost much. I get more than enough just by playing normally.

3 hr shield is 75hp. An 8 hr shield is 150hp?. So in total you use 225hp. That a net loss of 75hp each pvp. Right you don't need hp to shield
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

I PvP still. Why I won't shield is so i am not contributing to the PvP process of spending HP on shields in a desperate effort to preserve points. The system is inadequate as it is and to contribute to it with my opinion being as it is would make me a hypocrite. I want the rewards as much as the next player, but I'll forego the rewards, and the spending of HP/health packs that the devs are looking for, to stand by how I feel.
    Shields is the only way to add points to a slice after 1000 points. Without shields, only the monster rosters would have a chance to reach 1300 points. With shields injecting points to a slice, lower level rosters have a chance to get the progression rewards too.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Meander wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Average usable, really.

I think you are mistaking me for someone else https://imgur.com/3yY1X0F

Must be, I have constant run ins with someone with a very similar IGN to your username. They always run Hulkbuster. Always