06-30-16 to 07-06-16: worst 4* boost week to date?

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    Woohoo, I got chulk and electra at 8 and 9 covers respectively. I like this week's boost. It actually let's the 3* fight it out. I thought 4hor was boosted or did I mix it up with another week?
    4thor is boosted for divine champs offseason pve. not the weekly.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    But boosting any 4* champ is such a big deal in the current meta. They basically get double everything across the board.

Elektra's black will be terrifying this week too (if it goes off, it means you need to damage her 6 times and absorb something like 10k damage before you can hurt her again.)
    There are plenty of 4*s that aren't worth playing even when boosted. And that's not how you play against elektra. If she gets her black out, which is slow as **** anyway, just target someone else and match blacks. Maybe you'll be forced to eat 4k damage. For 10 AP, that's practically 3* level damage.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Have the people who say Miles sucks ever played a champed boosted one? I think he's pretty damn good.

I agree with you he is quite good, I even won his DDQ4 after just leveling him to 111 which is something you can just do with good chars. But that is my problem, he is still at 111. Now I am levelling Nova, and after him it will probably be Quake. Then I don't know, but I hope Punisher. So the problem is that even though I think he is quite good, he is still worse than a lot of other chars, and we don't have enough iso to level everybody. And new chars seem really strong so it will probably be even hard to level him in the future.

I have wanted to play a team of Miles+Gwen for a while but I don't have the iso (well, and Gwen covers, luck has decided I should not get her covers).

I guess this week I will use Rhulk with OML ...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I have wanted to play a team of Miles+Gwen for a while but I don't have the iso (well, and Gwen covers, luck has decided I should not get her covers).
    Yeah, I've been really curious to try out that combo too, and I just pulled my 13th Gwen yesterday. It's really easy to cover max 4*s when you seldom get 5*s.

Now I just need 450k ISO (have to finish maxing Nova first before his covers expire)
  • TxMoose
    Polares wrote:
    I agree with you he is quite good, I even won his DDQ4 after just leveling him to 111 which is something you can just do with good chars. But that is my problem, he is still at 111....
    just an FYI - ddq day can be won much lower than people think. I've been using 94 as my ddq level for a while and it has worked for GR, gwen, venom, miles, cho (yep - not kidding), and nova. it might take an extra try or 2 and it makes it a bit more board dependent, but you don't have to put much iso to get them ready. covers help though. the less covers you have the more levels you need. 94 is good for mostly covered (10+, but the right abilities need to be at 4 or 5) characters, even cho.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    But boosting any 4* champ is such a big deal in the current meta. They basically get double everything across the board.

Elektra's black will be terrifying this week too (if it goes off, it means you need to damage her 6 times and absorb something like 10k damage before you can hurt her again.)
    There are plenty of 4*s that aren't worth playing even when boosted. And that's not how you play against elektra. If she gets her black out, which is slow as tinykitty anyway, just target someone else and match blacks. Maybe you'll be forced to eat 4k damage. For 10 AP, that's practically 3* level damage.

This. In PVE they're worth playing, maybe, but in PVP I will gladly pit my unboosted top-tier 4* team against easily half of the 4*s when they're maxed and boosted. Take down Electra with Jeanbuster? Sure, I'll do that any day. Nick Fury with Cyclops/Iceman? Sure it will suck if he gets his blue off, otherwise he's toast.

Boosting is awesome for about the middle characters up, otherwise it just slows you down a bit. Honestly, it's best for the fast characters (of whom Miles is most definitely a part of,) slow characters (like Nick or Elektra,) are still too weak for PVP.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

There are plenty of 4*s that aren't worth playing even when boosted. And that's not how you play against elektra. If she gets her black out, which is slow as tinykitty anyway, just target someone else and match blacks. Maybe you'll be forced to eat 4k damage. For 10 AP, that's practically 3* level damage.

This. In PVE they're worth playing, maybe, but in PVP I will gladly pit my unboosted top-tier 4* team against easily half of the 4*s when they're maxed and boosted. Take down Electra with Jeanbuster? Sure, I'll do that any day. Nick Fury with Cyclops/Iceman? Sure it will suck if he gets his blue off, otherwise he's toast.

Boosting is awesome for about the middle characters up, otherwise it just slows you down a bit. Honestly, it's best for the fast characters (of whom Miles is most definitely a part of,) slow characters (like Nick or Elektra,) are still too weak for PVP.

Don't disagree with your analysis. Just disagree with your interpretation that these statements mean Miles is a good character (nor an especially bad one). he's lower mid tier, and he's fast. but the value you are extracting from him when boosted says more about boosting and the nature of PVP than about him. PVP has always been a speed game. So it's no surprise that faster characters see a bigger boost in PVP than slower ones when you double their powers
  • Vhailorx
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

yup, shadow step was a lot better when it triggered for damage to any friendly. but it's still a decent power, and vexing when the ai gets it off.
  • TxMoose
    Vhailorx wrote:
    yup, shadow step was a lot better when it triggered for damage to any friendly. but it's still a decent power, and vexing when the ai gets it off.
    its really only bad if she's the last one standing. I usually don't let that happen for just that reason. well, that plus I'm usually using oml and 7 purple is not easy to deny the entire match.
  • Vhailorx
    TxMoose wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    its really only bad if she's the last one standing. I usually don't let that happen for just that reason. well, that plus I'm usually using oml and 7 purple is not easy to deny the entire match.

Sure, but in a way, shadow step wins if it can force you play differently than you otherwise might. That's why Thing and Xpool's passives have value.

So sometimes you might want to target elektra (e.g. you already have some friendly strike tiles from her earlier casting of double double cross, and she just got another 7 ap) and shadow step prevents you from doing that. I concede this is a fairly infrequent set of circumstances. That's why Elektra is a lower tier 4*.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

Don't disagree with your analysis. Just disagree with your interpretation that these statements mean Miles is a good character (nor an especially bad one). he's lower mid tier, and he's fast. but the value you are extracting from him when boosted says more about boosting and the nature of PVP than about him. PVP has always been a speed game. So it's no surprise that faster characters see a bigger boost in PVP than slower ones when you double their powers

I disagree. Even unboosted his red and purple are decent, just don't do enough damage to place him in the top tier. I'd say he's better than the Thing, for example. In my mind he's about on par with 4* DP, though the latter character has some really good synergies with Wolverine (either 4* or 5*.) I find his red to be surprisingly effective, and his purple surprisingly affordable with his yellow passive. The invisibility is a complete extra.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    I agree with you he is quite good, I even won his DDQ4 after just leveling him to 111 which is something you can just do with good chars. But that is my problem, he is still at 111....
    just an FYI - ddq day can be won much lower than people think. I've been using 94 as my ddq level for a while and it has worked for GR, gwen, venom, miles, cho (yep - not kidding), and nova. it might take an extra try or 2 and it makes it a bit more board dependent, but you don't have to put much iso to get them ready. covers help though. the less covers you have the more levels you need. 94 is good for mostly covered (10+, but the right abilities need to be at 4 or 5) characters, even cho.

You can beat Miles's ddq at level 70. Mine was 4/4/2, lvl 70 when it rolled around. Cho was at like lvl 90 for me. Squeaked by on that one icon_lol.gif
  • Vhailorx
    TxMoose wrote:
    Polares wrote:

This. Especially if you have lots of covers. And anyone with invusibility or a good stun can win at very low levels. I beat iceman last time at something like1/2/1 @94; he's one of the easy ones with that stun. But good luck doing that with star-lord, or a low-level cyclops without 4+ red. You will get curbstomped.

Petergibbons has a great thread somewhere with strategies and crowdsourced results. It's a good way to get a sense of what is possible.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    My 4star champs are:
    XFW (level 279)
    Invis Woman (278)
    She-Thor (278)
    Elektra (277)
    Ant-Man (275)
    Rulk (275)
    Iceman (273)
    Carnage (271)
    Hulkbuster (271)

Not for any reason other than those are the ones I got covers for.

Elektra works well with Invisible Woman and Hood. Hood speeds up your side and slows down theirs. IW protects hood with her invisibility. No color overlap. Elektra's red and black do good damage. IW's blue+green is a heck of a nuke. IW spams really good protect tiles (enough to even neuter OML's attack tiles and matches).

However, they are slow and the computer does a poor job at playing them, so they are not a great defence in PvP. However, they are nice for moving up the mid-tiers in PvP when you don't want to waste health packs on your A-Squad (for me, that is She-Thor/HB + Rulk/Ice-man/XFW + Battery-man/Loki/Hood)
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    The new patch notes say Juggernaut heroic is coming up soon. Terrible boost week plus heroic = EVERYONE TAKING A BREAK THIS PVE THANKS

Of the 4 boosted 4*, my Elektra is 130, Cho 120, Miles 110, War Machine 94. I have none higher than my 3*....
  • Cascad
    Cascad Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Too much complains!
    Just play, all you are talking about 4*, I not have them and play unbuffed characters 3*.
    So take it easy.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Jarvind wrote:
    Why does everyone hate Elektra so much? She's really not that bad, especially in PVE. Her red does monstrous damage when she's boosted. Throwing out black and letting her tank big hits can be a lifesaver as well.

Admittedly purple is situational and not even all that stellar in the situations it's good for, but c'mon.

Given the number of OML/Phoenixs I expect for this round of PvP, there will be plenty of strike tiles to steal.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least the Heroic also has Spider-Gwen, but yeah, not exactly looking forward to that. And I usually like Heroics.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Add in a pinch of Spider-Gwen and Beast.

Stir with Juggernaut Heroic.

Serve to anyone you don't want to be friends with again.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Akari wrote:
    The new patch notes say Juggernaut heroic is coming up soon. Terrible boost week plus heroic = EVERYONE TAKING A BREAK THIS PVE THANKS

Of the 4 boosted 4*, my Elektra is 130, Cho 120, Miles 110, War Machine 94. I have none higher than my 3*....

I'm looking forward to the break! icon_e_biggrin.gif