Too many variants of the same character

13»

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually I was wrong, forget Pepper Pots or Mary Jane, get ready for Riri Williams who just was confirmed to be full-on taking Stark's place as Iron Man. I can only guess how soon we'll be seeing her in the game.

Guaranteed, just a matter how long it takes to translate a bad idea into a character.
    Oh good, it's Kamala Khan over again. Could people please at least give the new character a chance Before declaring it a bad idea?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Oh good, it's Kamala Khan over again. Could people please at least give the new character a chance Before declaring it a bad idea?

The character seems like a bad idea because Bendis could have easily hit the same demographics by using somebody like Lila Rhodes, except his ego wants to popularise his own character rather than boosting an existing one, Lila would have also been a more poignant choice given the events at the start of CW2 as well.

On the comic side of things, it is also disappointing that they feel the need to relaunch that comic so quickly as its only been about a year since the last time.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Quebbster wrote:
    Actually I was wrong, forget Pepper Pots or Mary Jane, get ready for Riri Williams who just was confirmed to be full-on taking Stark's place as Iron Man. I can only guess how soon we'll be seeing her in the game.

Guaranteed, just a matter how long it takes to translate a bad idea into a character.

Has nothing to do with the character. The shameless pandering randomly shoving minorities into the role of every main character instead of actually trying to develop characters and then trying to make it look like anyone that calls them out on it racist is just plain bad. Why not just try to promote the minorities you already have or actually try to develop new heroes. Oh right, that might actually take effort.

Marvels track record is pure ****, that's why it's a bad idea
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    abmoraz wrote:
    Frostbyte2 wrote:
    abmoraz wrote:
    Snipped

I know this has been said to death across many posts, but I'll bring it up again. How many of the above characters does Fox own the licensing for? Marvel and MPQ aren't going to spend a lot of time promoting properties that they can't make as much money off of.

I know it upsets the fans. Lord knows that I would love to see Gambit, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Angel, Archangel and a host of other mutants in game, but it isn't going to happen.

Let's focus our suggestions on characters that are remotely possible for inclusion.

Mr. Fantastic
    Professor X
    Jean Grey (x2)
    Wolverine (x4)
    The Thing
    Dr. Doom
    Storm
    Cyclops (x2)
    Beast
    Psylocke
    Invisible Woman
    Spider-man (x5, sort of)
    Spider-Gwen
    Kid Arachnid/Miles Morales
    Green Goblin
    Iceman
    Carnage
    Venom (x2)
    Silver Surfer
    Human Torch (x2)
    The Hood
    Mystique
    Blade
    Colossus
    Deadpool (x2)
    Dr. Octopus
    Squirrel Girl
    Nova (Sam Alexander, not Nova Corps in general)
    Magneto (x2)
    Amadeus Cho (pre-Chulk, The Iron Spider/4th smartest man in the planet Cho)
    Juggernaut

All characters Fox has rights to that are already in the game. Don't confuse Marvel Cinematic Division (and 21st Century Fox Movie Studios) with Marvel Comics (which licenses the games). They are 2 separate entities. Marvel Comics can license the characters however they want. The only time Fox gets a say is if they try and license them to a movie studio (and then, only the characters Fox Movies have already exclusively licensed). Theoretically, TV's Marvel's Agents of Shield could have Spider-Man, Deadpool, and the Fantastic 4 in it without Fox being able to do anything about it (though I'm sure they'd try and keep it tied up in court long enough to make it not worth trying).

All of those characters were in the game before Disney/Marvel cut all marketing of X-men and Mutants. Fox only owns the cinematic rights to Fantastic Four, X-men and the word Mutant not gaming rights. Spidey is actually owned by Sony.

BTW, not all characters that Fox owns are in the game. Gambit, Rogue are two of the many that get mentioned all the time.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has nothing to do with the character. The shameless pandering randomly shoving minorities into the role of every main character instead of actually trying to develop characters and then trying to make it look like anyone that calls them out on it racist is just plain bad. Why not just try to promote the minorities you already have or actually try to develop new heroes. Oh right, that might actually take effort.
    None of this makes any sense. They've tried to create brand new characters that are more diverse. But that didn't work for lots of reasons, not the least of which were people coming in and saying "oh you're just pandering." But mostly because the old characters are the ones that sell, and it takes a lot more effort to change a major brand than to make a new one. And it was always sort of crazy that 90% of the old characters were white guys anyway. Clearly this new tactic of retiring the old white guys and having new blood come in is working - it's generating sales and it's popular enough they keep doing it. Marvel is one of the only major "geek culture" companies (including movies, TV, comics, gaming, etc.) that has said they want to be more diverse and they're actually doing it. Kudos to them.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    loroku wrote:
    None of this makes any sense. They've tried to create brand new characters that are more diverse. But that didn't work for lots of reasons, not the least of which were people coming in and saying "oh you're just pandering." But mostly because the old characters are the ones that sell, and it takes a lot more effort to change a major brand than to make a new one. And it was always sort of crazy that 90% of the old characters were white guys anyway. Clearly this new tactic of retiring the old white guys and having new blood come in is working - it's generating sales and it's popular enough they keep doing it. Marvel is one of the only major "geek culture" companies (including movies, TV, comics, gaming, etc.) that has said they want to be more diverse and they're actually doing it. Kudos to them.

Marvel is a bunch of hypocrites. This has nothing to do with being more diverse. They said it themselves, it's creating controversy that drives the sales. They are trying bait people into getting pissed off which increases sales in the short run. It generates a short term burst in sales due to people being curious. Look around the internet. Other than a small minority and the people that are just going around looking for someone/anyone to yell racism at, this change is getting panned all over the place. People are really getting sick of Marvel's ****. I can't wait until a few years from now when most of these characters aren't much more than forgotten footnotes.

I'm all for diversity and some of my favorite Marvel characters are minorities, but don't you find it kind of telling that they keep doing these lazy character swaps instead of promoting the really good minority characters they already have, let alone try to create new ones. This is all about shock value, not diversity. Long run it's likely going to hurt Marvel to keep pulling this ****.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm all for diversity and some of my favorite Marvel characters are minorities, but don't you find it kind of telling that they keep doing these lazy character swaps instead of promoting the really good minority characters they already have, let alone try to create new ones. This is all about shock value, not diversity. Long run it's likely going to hurt Marvel to keep pulling this ****.

Yeah, it does feel like Marvel is a bit lazy with making someone new into an existing role, rather than making a new one. And then by objecting to it, they can spin it as racism or sexism or whatever to sell the controversy. I don't care that there are minority or female superheros. I care that they're kind of lazy, that their new characters are Thor (Jane), Hulk (Ross & Cho), Spider Man (Miles, Gwen, Silk), Wolverine (X23), Iron Man (Riri), Captain America (Sam & Peggy).

I like it when they throw in some new personas, like Quake.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other than a small minority and the people that are just going around looking for someone/anyone to yell racism at, this change is getting panned all over the place.
    I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Maybe it's getting panned in lots of various internet forums (populated almost exclusively by white men)? But the sales numbers are up. I mean, sure there's controversy but it's been a positive decision that has brought in new readers without a doubt, and the industry as a whole can't survive on just white guys anymore, which means it's good for everyone.
    I can't wait until a few years from now when most of these characters aren't much more than forgotten footnotes.
    In a few years we will indeed see how these are doing. Considering that Thor #1 was nearly 2 years ago (Oct. 2014), I'm not sure how many years it will take for these to be "forgotten footnotes," but I suspect they will actually be around for a long, long time.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The controversy isn't to generate rage sales, it's to generate free advertising.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Thread is now off-topic and too potentially toxic. Closing.
This discussion has been closed.