Too many variants of the same character

Comments

• Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:
    I would rather play for variants of characters I like over characters like say, Sleepwalker, Cardiac, Misty Knight, Doc Samson, etc.

I probably am in the minority, but I want four and five star versions of Black Widow.

So far, I think they have done a great job at mixing up the releases. There's a fair amount of iconic characters yet to come. You don't want them to run out of content too fast.
    I agree that I would rather play for a character I know and variants that I want like night crawler, Cable, Kitty Pride, Sandman, but as far as content goes I look at content as new PVE events, new boss battles, and this is the content the game needs a lot more than new characters.

Also 4* BW would be cool especially if she is based after the Scarlet Johanson character

I agree. We could use more game modes. I like boss events because they require actual alliance teamwork and they're non competitive. I would like more game modes that followed that philosophy.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:

Also 4* BW would be cool especially if she is based after the Scarlet Johanson character

What? Why? I can't think of a single thing this would bring to the table other than the appearance of ScarJo.

Scarlett Johansson's image alone is a magnificent contribution. icon_e_biggrin.gif

We are yet to see ap denial at four star level. She could have powers that boost other female characters only. She could be the first all passive power character to work as the ultimate support. These are only a couple ideas from top of my head. Her theme can inspire creativity.
  • timbopp
    timbopp Posts: 88
    4* Iron Man (Phil Coulson) coming soon!

You heard it here first.
  • Ryudoz
    Ryudoz Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    I'm looking forward to Peggy's inclusion and I think it's a great step in expanding the character base. I think it's a fantastic "What If?" Idea as well as brings in another female character into the game. Particularly one that isn't over-sexualized and yet can still exude strength and beauty.

So she's another Cap? Fine. That particular brand is making news lately. If anything I think this is a positive swing away from a currently negatively viewed take on him (Hydra Cap). And really, it's a shame that this isn't a comic, because I would read the tiny kitty out of this.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    I would rather play for variants of characters I like over characters like say, Sleepwalker, Cardiac, Misty Knight, Doc Samson, etc.

There is a huge range of characters between another Cap and the less known ones you list though.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

What? Why? I can't think of a single thing this would bring to the table other than the appearance of ScarJo.

Scarlett Johansson's image alone is a magnificent contribution. icon_e_biggrin.gif

We are yet to see ap denial at four star level. She could have powers that boost other female characters only. She could be the first all passive power character to work as the ultimate support. These are only a couple ideas from top of my head. Her theme can inspire creativity.

I suppose I should have been clearer, I'm not opposed to a 4* Bkack Widow. I just think basing it on ScarJo is silly.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    timbopp wrote:

You heard it here first.

Don't you mean Pepper?
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Pongie wrote:
    timbopp wrote:

You heard it here first.

Don't you mean Pepper?

Correction, try Mary Jane

Or if you really want to get specific, Rescue
  • carlito666
    carlito666 Posts: 69
    Pongie wrote:
    timbopp wrote:

You heard it here first.

Don't you mean Pepper?

NoLimit
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Wonderman
    Tigra
    Wasp
    Modok
    Electro
    Scorpion
    Mysterio
    Whirlwind
    Grey Gargoyle
    Black Knight
    Crossbones
    Red Skull
    Zemo
    Zola
    Spider-woman
    Rogue
    Shadowcat
    Gambit
    Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Angel
    Pyro
    Blob
    Toad
    Banshee
    Game Master
    Trapster
    Rhino
    Sandman
    Hydroman
    Nebula
    The entire Wrecking Crew
    The entire Thunderbolts
    Abomination
    Hobgoblin
    Black Cat
    Scarlet Spider
    Iron Spider
    Iron Patriot
    Silver Sable
    Silver Samurai
    Omega Red
    Whiplash
    A-Bomb
    Skar
    Firestar
    The entire Inhumans
    Hellcat
    Jessica Jones
    The Lizard
    The Entire Hellfire Club
    Nightcrawler
    Cable
    Bishop
    Domino
    Sentinel
    Leader
    Smythe
    Tombstone
    Phil Coulson
    Calvary
    Hive
    Sabretooth
    Puck
    Polaris
    Lady Deathstrike
    Jubilee
    Dazzler
    Superskrull
    Mole King
    Ronan the Accuser
    Spyke
    Cloak
    Dagger
    White Tiger
    Grim Reaper
    Namor
    Attuma
    Morbius
    Hercules
    Mastermind
    Havoc
    Vulture
    Grey Hulk
    Medusa
    Klaw
    Hammerhead
    Kraven the Hunter
    Chameleon
    Dr. Strange
    Batroc the Leaper
    Crimson Dynamo
    Sunfire
    Sauron
    Mojo
    Vertigo

There are a TON of villains, females, and other characters that aren't "Cap/Ironman/Spider-Man/Wolverine" available. I didn't even get into the really obscure ones like Molten Man, Spot, and the Great Lakes Avengers. Hell, at this point, they haven't even added in all the main avengers yet or their foes (Wonderman, Tigra, Modok). Heck, we have have 5 Captain Americas (6 if you count Winter Soldier) and don't even have his arch nemises (Zemo, Arnim Zola, Red Skull).

I like Peggy Carter (really sad to see her show cancelled) and as a one-off exclusive, she's nice, but it would've been a lot nicer if they had a true "Peggy Carter" character rather than shoe-horning her into Captain America.
  • abmoraz wrote:
    Wonderman
    Tigra
    Wasp
    Modok
    Electro
    Scorpion
    Mysterio
    Whirlwind
    Grey Gargoyle
    Black Knight
    Crossbones
    Red Skull
    Zemo
    Zola
    Spider-woman
    Rogue
    Shadowcat
    Gambit
    Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Angel
    Pyro
    Blob
    Toad
    Banshee
    Game Master
    Trapster
    Rhino
    Sandman
    Hydroman
    Nebula
    The entire Wrecking Crew
    The entire Thunderbolts
    Abomination
    Hobgoblin
    Black Cat
    Scarlet Spider
    Iron Spider
    Iron Patriot
    Silver Sable
    Silver Samurai
    Omega Red
    Whiplash
    A-Bomb
    Skar
    Firestar
    The entire Inhumans
    Hellcat
    Jessica Jones
    The Lizard
    The Entire Hellfire Club
    Nightcrawler
    Cable
    Bishop
    Domino
    Sentinel
    Leader
    Smythe
    Tombstone
    Phil Coulson
    Calvary
    Hive
    Sabretooth
    Puck
    Polaris
    Lady Deathstrike
    Jubilee
    Dazzler
    Superskrull
    Mole King
    Ronan the Accuser
    Spyke
    Cloak
    Dagger
    White Tiger
    Grim Reaper
    Namor
    Attuma
    Morbius
    Hercules
    Mastermind
    Havoc
    Vulture
    Grey Hulk
    Medusa
    Klaw
    Hammerhead
    Kraven the Hunter
    Chameleon
    Dr. Strange
    Batroc the Leaper
    Crimson Dynamo
    Sunfire
    Sauron
    Mojo
    Vertigo

There are a TON of villains, females, and other characters that aren't "Cap/Ironman/Spider-Man/Wolverine" available. I didn't even get into the really obscure ones like Molten Man, Spot, and the Great Lakes Avengers. Hell, at this point, they haven't even added in all the main avengers yet or their foes (Wonderman, Tigra, Modok). Heck, we have have 5 Captain Americas (6 if you count Winter Soldier) and don't even have his arch nemises (Zemo, Arnim Zola, Red Skull).

I like Peggy Carter (really sad to see her show cancelled) and as a one-off exclusive, she's nice, but it would've been a lot nicer if they had a true "Peggy Carter" character rather than shoe-horning her into Captain America.

I know this has been said to death across many posts, but I'll bring it up again. How many of the above characters does Fox own the licensing for? Marvel and MPQ aren't going to spend a lot of time promoting properties that they can't make as much money off of.

I know it upsets the fans. Lord knows that I would love to see Gambit, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Angel, Archangel and a host of other mutants in game, but it isn't going to happen.

Let's focus our suggestions on characters that are remotely possible for inclusion.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Frostbyte2 wrote:
    abmoraz wrote:
    Snipped

I know this has been said to death across many posts, but I'll bring it up again. How many of the above characters does Fox own the licensing for? Marvel and MPQ aren't going to spend a lot of time promoting properties that they can't make as much money off of.

I know it upsets the fans. Lord knows that I would love to see Gambit, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Angel, Archangel and a host of other mutants in game, but it isn't going to happen.

Let's focus our suggestions on characters that are remotely possible for inclusion.

Mr. Fantastic
    Professor X
    Jean Grey (x2)
    Wolverine (x4)
    The Thing
    Dr. Doom
    Storm
    Cyclops (x2)
    Beast
    Psylocke
    Invisible Woman
    Spider-man (x5, sort of)
    Spider-Gwen
    Kid Arachnid/Miles Morales
    Green Goblin
    Iceman
    Carnage
    Venom (x2)
    Silver Surfer
    Human Torch (x2)
    The Hood
    Mystique
    Blade
    Colossus
    Deadpool (x2)
    Dr. Octopus
    Squirrel Girl
    Nova (Sam Alexander, not Nova Corps in general)
    Magneto (x2)
    Amadeus Cho (pre-Chulk, The Iron Spider/4th smartest man in the planet Cho)
    Juggernaut

All characters Fox has rights to that are already in the game. Don't confuse Marvel Cinematic Division (and 21st Century Fox Movie Studios) with Marvel Comics (which licenses the games). They are 2 separate entities. Marvel Comics can license the characters however they want. The only time Fox gets a say is if they try and license them to a movie studio (and then, only the characters Fox Movies have already exclusively licensed). Theoretically, TV's Marvel's Agents of Shield could have Spider-Man, Deadpool, and the Fantastic 4 in it without Fox being able to do anything about it (though I'm sure they'd try and keep it tied up in court long enough to make it not worth trying).
  • SpecSpecter
    I think its not as much an issue that they can't put the Fox movie rights characters in the game (because that is clearly not the case) but rather they are just less inclined to, if for no other reason because of how much Marvel is avoiding using such characters in the comics and such.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Urban_mike wrote:
    The next pve is releasing a "Peggy Carter " version of Captain America. How many caps do we need already...seesh. This game has to many spiders, wolverine, hulks, and ironmans. Basically of all caps powers on any version are shield bash, stun, and protect . This is getting old and tiresome quickly.

What about introducing Marvel's b-list and c-list characters. Example...New warriors characters, New mutants, Thunderbolts, namor, Adam Warlock, Quasar, Jack of hearts, blackheart, and so on.

This game has two sources of content: a) scaling (a cover for lack of content because its playing the same events as before, just with a higher difficulty for the same rewards) b) new chars

So it makes no difference for me to be tired of beeing flooded by just variations of a char or really new chars.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's pretty obvious this game tends to push characters that tie in to other Marvel properties they are trying to advertise. Since a lot of the movies are sequels, reboots, remakes, etc. (you know, all that Hollywood knows how to do) and the movies are big earners, you see a lot of the same characters over and over (Wolvie, looking at you). Sometimes new releases get highlighted (Squirrel Girl, 4* Thor) and sometimes TV shows (Quake), but mostly it's the movies.

I completely agree they could stand a few more obscure folks instead of just the tentpoles every time - even if they were from those same movies (like Angel). And more women / PoC would be nice. People have been begging for Rogue and Gambit for literally ever, though, and D3 doesn't seem to mind ignoring them, so I doubt "fan opinion" means anything.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    carlito666 wrote:
    Pongie wrote:
    timbopp wrote:

You heard it here first.

Don't you mean Pepper?

NoLimit

I was referring the MCU when I mentioned Pepper
  • SpecSpecter
    Actually I was wrong, forget Pepper Pots or Mary Jane, get ready for Riri Williams who just was confirmed to be full-on taking Stark's place as Iron Man. I can only guess how soon we'll be seeing her in the game.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually I was wrong, forget Pepper Pots or Mary Jane, get ready for Riri Williams who just was confirmed to be full-on taking Stark's place as Iron Man. I can only guess how soon we'll be seeing her in the game.
    I agree, and I think this is pretty awesome. So far MPQ has followed all of the major character reworks (Thor, Spidey, Cap, Cap Marvel) so I would assume she'll be in quite soon. It's the only thing they do more consistently than the summer tentpole movies!
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler

Guaranteed, just a matter how long it takes to translate a bad idea into a character.
This discussion has been closed.