Too many variants of the same character

Urban_mike
Urban_mike Posts: 12
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The next pve is releasing a "Peggy Carter " version of Captain America. How many caps do we need already...seesh. This game has to many spiders, wolverine, hulks, and ironmans. Basically of all caps powers on any version are shield bash, stun, and protect . This is getting old and tiresome quickly.

What about introducing Marvel's b-list and c-list characters. Example...New warriors characters, New mutants, Thunderbolts, namor, Adam Warlock, Quasar, Jack of hearts, blackheart, and so on.

Comments

• DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    I'd suggest adding classic X-Men that have been successful characters since the 60s, but hey, we all know that's not happening icon_e_confused.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    DTStump wrote:
    I'd suggest adding classic X-Men that have been successful characters since the 60s, but hey, we all know that's not happening icon_e_confused.gif

They don't have to strictly add the older versions, but not even having any version of angel at all yet does seem like a very odd omission.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dunno.

When the surveys say "what characters would you like to see," my reaction is typically "more villains, more female characters," although perhaps with more specificity than that.

So, y'know, I'm glad to see Kate Bishop and Peggy Carter in the game. Yeah, I'd like to see characters like Kitty Pryde or Rogue who aren't trading off of somebody else's legacy, but that's a quibble.

That said, I think part of it, too, is that maybe a generation ago, a game like this would probably have been targeted at a fairly exclusive audience. The success of the MCU has broadened that, and so Demiurge have to balance the "give the comics fans what they want" urge with the give the more casual Marvel fans a character they'll recognize" impulse. They're trying to encourage spending across the board.

So, yeah, you end up with a ton of Spider-folk, Wolverines, Deadpools (well, okay, only two of those so far), Captains America, Thors...

Because those characters are going to have broad appeal.

The casual player is going to recognize them, at least in broad strokes ("oh, okay, this is a Spider-man variant"), where they may not know who Power Girl is.

So, y'know. Would I like to see more diversity, both in terms of character choices and the gender breakdown? Sure.

But as long as the variants are characters I want to use (come to papa, Peggy...) it's not the end of the world for me.
  • Cabol
    Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    A Peggy Carter version of Cap?....

Why?
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Am I the only flabbergasted that we now have a BRITISH Captain America???!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Am I the only flabbergasted that we now have a BRITISH Captain America???!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Whaddaya want, Cap'n Britain?

Boudica?

Victoria?

Depending which continuity you choose, she was attached to the Super Soldier program. If Rogers was offed in production, she could step right in.

Since this is an exclusive character, I wonder if Demi has a pve forthcoming featuring this origin story.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I await the female version of Howard the Duck.

healthpack.png Peace & good Health healthpack.png
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    The only problem I have with Carter is that she shouldn't just be a version of Cap. I'd want to have them team up.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Cabol wrote:
    A Peggy Carter version of Cap?....

Why?

Every time you think they came up with the lamest addition possible they find a way to surprise you. I wonder how they top this one?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I took this as a 'what if?' character. Which I'm all for.

Personally I have very little interest in Peggy but I do love the idea of what if? There should be more...many more.

I will probably still compete for Peggy (as a commander I try to lead by example ) but I'll probably never use her but hey, good addition all the same.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2016
    Hayley Atwell described Peggy Carter as the Ginger Rogers to Captain America's Fred Astaire - she could do anything he could do, but backwards and in high heels. I am fine with her picking up the shield here.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have an issue with Peggy Carter being Captain America in an alternate universe, but I do have a problem with her being released with ZERO fanfare - especially if it's an exclusive character.....
  • Punatulkku
    Punatulkku Posts: 228
    I wonder will pegtains and star-lords increase to cost stack... xD
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punatulkku wrote:
    I wonder will pegtains and star-lords increase to cost stack... xD

Add the Hood and the opponent will never get to cast a power!
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker

Probably since she's from Virginia.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I've been wanting Peggy in the game since Agent Carter debuted, but figured that she didn't have enough fans to make it. This version of Peggy seems to be the best of both worlds here. Compared to Steve Rodgers, she's obscure, but with the costume on, she has broad recognition as Captain America. I love it!

And... She's not simply protect, bash, stun like Cap. Ok, yeah she stuns, like lots of other characters, but she also punches through protect tiles and denies AP usage. She is her own thing and not another Cap in my mind (just wearing the gear).
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    <snip>Whaddaya want, Cap'n Britain?<snip>

I think that would be kinda cool. I really liked him in the Excalibur. Be another reason to bring Nightcrawler and other characters in as well.

Excalibur02.jpg
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I would rather play for variants of characters I like over characters like say, Sleepwalker, Cardiac, Misty Knight, Doc Samson, etc.

I probably am in the minority, but I want four and five star versions of Black Widow.

So far, I think they have done a great job at mixing up the releases. There's a fair amount of iconic characters yet to come. You don't want them to run out of content too fast.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    I would rather play for variants of characters I like over characters like say, Sleepwalker, Cardiac, Misty Knight, Doc Samson, etc.

I probably am in the minority, but I want four and five star versions of Black Widow.

So far, I think they have done a great job at mixing up the releases. There's a fair amount of iconic characters yet to come. You don't want them to run out of content too fast.
    I agree that I would rather play for a character I know and variants that I want like night crawler, Cable, Kitty Pride, Sandman, but as far as content goes I look at content as new PVE events, new boss battles, and this is the content the game needs a lot more than new characters.

Also 4* BW would be cool especially if she is based after the Scarlet Johanson character
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:

Also 4* BW would be cool especially if she is based after the Scarlet Johanson character

What? Why? I can't think of a single thing this would bring to the table other than the appearance of ScarJo.
This discussion has been closed.