Just too many characters,[not enough iso][MERGED THREAD]

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I'm aiming for a goal, I assume I will get about 20k iso per day. Averaged out over the week it's usually pretty close to that, or sometimes I can even get a little more (if I top 5 all the PvP, or dedicate a little extra time to LRs that week). I don't usually grind PvE to dust, so I leave a little on the table there, but I play a lot, so I'm sure I'm at the higher end of earners. Even with that though, it's "only" 280k every two weeks, which is not enough to keep pace with release rate. I'm content with that though. Sure there are always spots in my roster that could use hundreds of thousands of iso, but for the most part it's unplayable dreck, that's only useful as a means to getting more champion rewards, so it can wait for another time.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Ideally, the iso rate shouldn't actually be able to keep up with the release of new characters. Otherwise you'd quickly end up with your entire roster at max level along with all other veteran players and have nothing else to do.

I do think the flow of iso is too low, but the disparity keeps the game alive and forces players to pick and choose who they level, creating at least some variety in rosters.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    On hb I went from 165 to 270 in 11 days.

I got every LR cleared all rewards of all pve nodes. Sold every cover I won that could be be applied to a champ level and ddq every day.

I also placed t10 in every sub of every pve and t10 in the main as well.

It was not fun and in no way do I want to repeat it
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    And players: can you do it? Do you do it?

To quote DuckyV on the question of double ISO becoming standard practice:
    DuckyV wrote:
    Please excuse me while I go laugh maniacally. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm on day 731, and I still haven't managed to do it for a single character. One in a single season? Good one.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:
    Ideally, the iso rate shouldn't actually be able to keep up with the release of new characters. Otherwise you'd quickly end up with your entire roster at max level along with all other veteran players and have nothing else to do.

I do think the flow of iso is too low, but the disparity keeps the game alive and forces players to pick and choose who they level, creating at least some variety in rosters.

The problem I see with this line of thought is this:

Old player: you can have enough ISO to level 1.5 characters a month of the two we release. In six months, you'll have enough ISO to max 9 of those 12 4*'s, if you work hard (and don't pull the 5* covers we release in the meantime...)

NEW PLAYER: you can have enough ISO to level 1.5 characters a month. In six months, you'll have enough ISO to max 9 of those 45 4*'s....except you'll of course have spent all that ISO on your 3*'s.

If the old players can't keep up, the new players will fall further and further behind...and be less and less inclined to start the game in the first place.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    halirin wrote:
    Sincere advice: play less and don't worry about leveling everyone "on pace".

OP can feel free to correct me, but I didn't read this as a complaint that he was unable to level all characters. I read it as just another way of pointing out the massive dearth of ISO in the game. I agree that trying to max everyone is a bad idea, but by adding a minimum of 700k of ISO debt per season they're making it straight-up impossible to do, even for the grindiest grinder.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    halirin wrote:
    Sincere advice: play less and don't worry about leveling everyone "on pace".

OP can feel free to correct me, but I didn't read this as a complaint that he was unable to level all characters. I read it as just another way of pointing out the massive dearth of ISO in the game. I agree that trying to max everyone is a bad idea, but by adding a minimum of 700k of ISO debt per season they're making it straight-up impossible to do, even for the grindiest grinder.

Truth. I have...seven 4*'s maxed maybe? I don't care if I kept the ratio that I currently have (1:5 or so) of maxed to un-maxed....but it would be nice to be able to keep that ratio and not continually fall further behind. Certainly wasn't meant to be a thread about "why can't we max everyone?" - but rather a thought process about "why can't we max half-ish, why isn't ISO (or leveling costs) changed as these tiers get very large?". Perhaps this thought process will help when before we are nearing 40 5*'s and everyone has 2-4 of them maxed.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    To paraphrase an infamous quote...

You're supposed to choose.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say this I play PVE PVP to 1300 and I do LR seed teams. I normally max out a 4* once every 3 weeks and occasionally in 2. The reason why it is 3 weeks is I usually don't grind all the PVE nodes 7 times. Once I get the CP I usually slack off and recover for the next event. In order to max as many characters as I can I have stopped boosting in PVE and only boost in PVE from around 700 and up. I only do this to make faster pushes to my first shield and to save on health packs.

If they make double ISO the norm and roll it out for LR too I could do 2 in 28 days easy
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    So I play PvE for the CP progression rewards and don't mind if I finish top 50 or 100. This is where I would usually place in any given PvE event. When a new character was released I would play my usual amount of nodes and maybe push a little harder if I liked the new 4* character, totally understanding I would only be getting one card. Most of the time however, I would end up having a hard time to even finish in the top 200 and that pretty new 4* would escape my grasp.

Recently it has been a different story. In my opinion not as many people care about getting that brand new character anymore. Here is why I say this: I play the same amount of time and I have had absolutely no problem finishing inside the top 100. Im not grinding any more than usual. Heck, sometimes I just skip nodes because I hate playing the same Moonstone/Daken/Bullseye matches... and still earn a top 100 spot.

Maybe I have just been lucky picking lazy brackets this entire year (I don't use Line) or people have lost their interest in trying to keep their heads above the water by trying to earn all the new releases.

It's not impossible to keep up HPwise to roster the endless torrent of characters that are being released but at least for me I can't shield myself in PvP anymore. I suppose it's just getting frustrating at this point. It feels like you are kinda being punished for wanting to play this game. Or a better way to say it is that we are being led with a carrot through quicksand. I guess this is just getting to be a bit of a rant and I have no problem taking any and all criticism but I just had to get this off my mind.

Congratulations, you earned our new character! ...You won't earn enough cards for this character to be useful for a long time but don't worry, we have this other new character you can earn right now too. Months later: Oh hey, you finally got enough cards to have that "old" 4* be playable. Good for you! Oh, I see you don't have enough Iso to level up your carded character to where they will actually be useful... Um, well, did you hear that there is another new character coming out tomorrow?
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Totally agree. The flow of new characters is break neck and the flow of ISO and 4* covers is break the bank. I decided to go for completion only with the Peggy release and will probably do the same from here on out.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stop boosting in PVE, people.
    You spend enough ISO on skip tax in PVP, PVE is your ISO positive game mode.
    If you're boosting in PVE, you're doing it wrong.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

Old player: you can have enough ISO to level 1.5 characters a month of the two we release. In six months, you'll have enough ISO to max 9 of those 12 4*'s, if you work hard (and don't pull the 5* covers we release in the meantime...)

NEW PLAYER: you can have enough ISO to level 1.5 characters a month. In six months, you'll have enough ISO to max 9 of those 45 4*'s....except you'll of course have spent all that ISO on your 3*'s.

If the old players can't keep up, the new players will fall further and further behind...and be less and less inclined to start the game in the first place.

A new player doesn't actually get enough cover to max level any 4* for about 6 months at least, so they have that long to build up their best 2 and 3 star characters while also stockpiling ISO for when they do get to that point. I'd argue that unless you're super-duper grinding every single day, you won't really hit that ISO wall until about 8 months to a year after you start playing (I'm at day 250 as a not casual but not particularly hardcore player and I'm just now starting to feel it a little near the end of the 3* transition [as in, if I were to grind more I'd have enough, but I don't]).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Stop boosting in PVE, people.
    You spend enough ISO on skip tax in PVP, PVE is your ISO positive game mode.
    If you're boosting in PVE, you're doing it wrong.
    I already upvoted this, but it bears repeating. If you boost too much, you won't be able to perform at all without boosts.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    It was not fun and in no way do I want to repeat it

This, it's not fun. If this is suppose to be the point of the game then that's not something i want to do / continue to do. I hate grinding in open world / RPGs but at least i get something more out of it.

I
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Just found this fun comment by " Redrobot30" which fit perfectly with my thoughts...

Seems like Devs are telling us:

Congratulations, you earned our new character! ...You won't earn enough cards for this character to be useful for a long time but don't worry, we have this other new character you can earn right now too. Months later: Oh hey, you finally got enough cards to have that "old" 4* be playable. Good for you! Oh, I see you don't have enough Iso to level up your carded character to where they will actually be useful... Um, well, did you hear that there is another new character coming out tomorrow?

It could have been hilarous if only it wouldn't have been so sadly true icon_redface.gificon_e_surprised.gif

Thank you again Redrobot30....I couldn't agree more icon_e_wink.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same thread has been posted for ~2 years now, and the release schedule has been consistent. And yet people still play. I assume the complaining about the same thing is a religious thing at this point.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

Based on discussion here though, it feels like I'm progressing faster than people who played back in The Day. I'm on day 286, 18 Champion 3* and I own every 3* character plus a decent chunk of 4*s (although only good for Required Character nodes, no one playable yet).

Where were veteran players up not even a year in?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

Based on discussion here though, it feels like I'm progressing faster than people who played back in The Day. I'm on day 286, 18 Champion 3* and I own every 3* character plus a decent chunk of 4*s (although only good for Required Character nodes, no one playable yet).

Where were veteran players up not even a year in?
    I am on day 918 and the difference between now and when I started is Night and day. When I started you could only earn 2* from placement so if you were 50-100 you got three 2* covers in PVP. If you were top 50 in PVP you got one 3* cover. It took a while to just build your 2* roster. Mind you could true heal and there were some very broken characters like Spider-Man and Cmags. I was a strong 3* player with many max 3* in under a year and when DPDQ came out the 3* were flowing like mad. It took me about a year to really become a 4* player and it really happened when championing came out. I was able to champion over 30 3* which gave me a ton of 4* which led to me leveling them. Overall even when leveling 3* and starting to level 4* the ISO flow was a big issue. The champion feature just made it worse since you have to get the extra ISO to truly finish your character. The HP, CP are in a good place, the number of 4* you can earn is OK, but the ISO is really low. I have 10 championed 4* and 10 other 4* max covered that will take 3 weeks to earn enough ISO to level. Since I also have a level 400 OML having a level 150 something 4* is fairly useless. Actually my 3* are now useless except for DPDQ and essential nodes, and being an extra character in PVP.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    halirin wrote:
    Sincere advice: play less and don't worry about leveling everyone "on pace". When you were a child the games were simpler and you had more free time, so it was possible to get and do everything in far more games. Now you are grown and the number of things do and obtain in games has grown beyond what you ever would have imagined, so you can and should adjust your expectations. It is hard, so you have my sympathy. But it's something that will make you much happier if you succeed. It's sort of like learning to reduce sugar intake despite millennia of natural selection pushing humans to crave it. Good luck!

But there is no real choosing. There are a few chars really good and many not so good. So if I make the wrong decision it completely ruins the rest of the game for me. And the possibility to choose from not so good chars and be not able to level the good ones for quite a while means, the not-so-good chars are just traps. Is this good game design?