I sold exactly 3 maxed-champed 2 stars: Here's Why

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Typically, since selling baby Torch, I've only picked up one of his covers since. Its like the game knows what I'm up to.
  • willyswim
    willyswim Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    i sold my level 144 wolverine b/c i didn't really need him and was getting a ton of covers. Now, i barely get any covers for him and its taking forever to re level him.
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Is anyone taking into account that to re-champion the 2 stars you'll need to use another 63 covers to do so? You're effectively missing out on ~16K ISO because you would have just sold those covers if you didn't sell the character.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is anyone taking into account that to re-champion the 2 stars you'll need to use another 63 covers to do so? You're effectively missing out on ~16K ISO because you would have just sold those covers if you didn't sell the character.
    the iso in the 50 champ levels = the iso you'd get from selling, but also comes with other stuff (hp, cp, covers, tokens). the 13 initial covers is the cost of the opportunity to get the other stuff.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Orion wrote:
    When the price change was announced, I sold all 10 of my level 144 2* champs and replaced them all with 1-cover versions that I had saved up. I used the 650k ISO to level up my 4*s. But now I have the annoying task of building up my 2*s again. I have MnMags champed again, and OBW is close, but the other 8 2*s have between 11-13 covers and are all under level 30. It's going to take a long time before they're all champed.

I think the better move is to sell 1 champ off to level up another previously sold 2* back up to level 94.
    I did almost the same thing. I sold all my champed 2*s and used the ISO to level a 5* a bit, champ a couple 3*s, and champ some other 2*s that were max covered but at level 15. I have been slowly leveling them back up and since have rechamped Storm already. I agree that it works a little better from a long-term planning standpoint to just try to keep all 2*s as high as possible and as they hit 144 sell them off and start them over - effectively preventing any 2* cover from going to waste. Of course I'm also trying to get all my 3*s champed for the same reason - no wasted 3* cover rewards, and it's impossible to do both at the same time - just not enough ISO.

EotS got me wanting Quake champed and so that has put everything on hold for 2 weeks (since I have a cover for her waiting), and I've got 5 MoStorm and 5 Pun3 covers waiting for about 100k ISO wach as well. So as nice as it would be to have a system where all my 2* covers are constantly rotating, it's a lot easier for me to throw away any number of 2* covers than those ten 3* covers.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Typically, since selling baby Torch, I've only picked up one of his covers since. Its like the game knows what I'm up to.

The games' tokens and drop rewards likes to give you **** that you don't need and hold back what you do need...

So while the game was showering me with 2* covers, I stocked up at least 5-6 covers of the character before selling so I won't be left to dry for the rebuild... Now That I need those covers, I can expect not to get any...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did almost the same thing. I sold all my champed 2*s and used the ISO to level a 5* a bit, champ a couple 3*s, and champ some other 2*s that were max covered but at level 15. I have been slowly leveling them back up and since have rechamped Storm already. I agree that it works a little better from a long-term planning standpoint to just try to keep all 2*s as high as possible and as they hit 144 sell them off and start them over - effectively preventing any 2* cover from going to waste. Of course I'm also trying to get all my 3*s champed for the same reason - no wasted 3* cover rewards, and it's impossible to do both at the same time - just not enough ISO.

EotS got me wanting Quake champed and so that has put everything on hold for 2 weeks (since I have a cover for her waiting), and I've got 5 MoStorm and 5 Pun3 covers waiting for about 100k ISO wach as well. So as nice as it would be to have a system where all my 2* covers are constantly rotating, it's a lot easier for me to throw away any number of 2* covers than those ten 3* covers.
    we are nearly in the same position peter. I'm also going back to do 3s then 2s. I also got quake to 13 covers and at some point might high pause to do her, but not yet. since going back I've done vision, grocket, squirrel, storm, and colossus and I'm not far from finishing mystique. I'm skipping pun this time. I'm also considering adding the 'good' feeders (meaning their feed line has a 4 I have already champed) that I don't have - hawk, torch, daken, axw, marvel. and may start dupes on thor and ares, but won't sell both until one dupe is covered. still a long ways to go but I'm enjoying this part. I may have to reconsider if a yellow nova or a green 4pun comes across, but they aren't coming soon to 1K and I'm only opening standards now, so getting them is unlikely. looking forward to my gold token party in a few months - its gonna be pretty large. then have to figure out 4s and LTs.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    TxMoose wrote:

we are nearly in the same position peter. I'm also going back to do 3s then 2s. I also got quake to 13 covers and at some point might high pause to do her, but not yet. since going back I've done vision, grocket, squirrel, storm, and colossus and I'm not far from finishing mystique. I'm skipping pun this time. I'm also considering adding the 'good' feeders (meaning their feed line has a 4 I have already champed) that I don't have - hawk, torch, daken, axw, marvel. and may start dupes on thor and ares, but won't sell both until one dupe is covered. still a long ways to go but I'm enjoying this part. I may have to reconsider if a yellow nova or a green 4pun comes across, but they aren't coming soon to 1K and I'm only opening standards now, so getting them is unlikely. looking forward to my gold token party in a few months - its gonna be pretty large. then have to figure out 4s and LTs.
    I've been keeping a close eye on the sneak peak to see who is coming up and trying to get them champed for their event. I knew I was going to miss Punisher by pausing for Quake, but I truly feel she will actually be a strong enough addition to my roster as to make me a bit more competitive in PvE, and I've got Mystique and BP both champed already so I think I can catch up.

4s are often tougher to decide on since every champed 4* is equivalent to almost 3 champed 3*s. I think Punisher and Nova are both worthy but I would never use them in PvP over my 5*s and I don't see them adding a ton of value in PvE (like I think Quake does). Since the 3* rewards are so much more common IMO it just makes more sense to finish them off before working on 4s.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards

Same here, ever since selling g hawkeye, Ms marvel, and baby storm those covers seem to be trickling in now.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:

Same here, ever since selling g hawkeye, Ms marvel, and baby storm those covers seem to be trickling in now.

My Storm (2) is already 2/5/1 after selling her off late last week. The other three 2* I'm rebuilding all have 5-6 covers, as well.
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    TxMoose wrote:
    the iso in the 50 champ levels = the iso you'd get from selling, but also comes with other stuff (hp, cp, covers, tokens). the 13 initial covers is the cost of the opportunity to get the other stuff.

Ahh, yes. Good call. I totally missed that part.

This selling off 2 star guys and restarting them is sounding pretty good. I only have 6 3-star guys left to champion, and selling off 3 of the 2-star guys would let me champion Mystique and either Doc Oc or Psylocke.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    When the price change was announced, I sold all 10 of my level 144 2* champs and replaced them all with 1-cover versions that I had saved up. I used the 650k ISO to level up my 4*s. But now I have the annoying task of building up my 2*s again. I have MnMags champed again, and OBW is close, but the other 8 2*s have between 11-13 covers and are all under level 30. It's going to take a long time before they're all champed.

I think the better move is to sell 1 champ off to level up another previously sold 2* back up to level 94.

Well, I've champed Mags, Storm and OBW, but still a looooooong way to go to finish the other 7. It's been strangely difficult to finish covering some of the 2*s. Ares red and Wolverine green have been elusive. Ares was 4/0/5 at one point.

At least with 2*s there's a feeling of accomplishment since you can finish 1 every 3-4 days.

I'm just glad I have some real 2*s champed now and don't have to do DDQ with Torch, Ms Marvel and Bullseye like I have been. Such a slow team.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    I think it's a loosing system but in an iso starved economy, it's one of the only. Its one of the only options other than spending a ton of cash for little iso. I sold off my three least useful 2 stars, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, and Baby Torch. Also the three I seem to get the most covers for them.

At this point it feels like a necessary evil.

If nothing else, it gives you something to do with the 2* covers you pull so they don't feel totally useless. I mean, yeah, you could just sell any covers earned after championing your 2* for ISO. That's legit. But you miss out on the guaranteed 3* covers, HP and CP.

"Evil"? I dunno about that. It's not like you HAVE to champion them once, let alone over and over and over.

THIS much I will say: recycling 2* champions seems like a trivial effort compared to 3* or above. I'm happy to recycle my 2* because, while I use them in various DDQ fights, my 3* roster is such that they're no longer a necessity for me in the Big Enchilada.

But getting a 3* to 166, let alone earning 100 covers additional, would take a player like me so long as to be functionally not worth it, unless my 4* roster ever approaches the level of usability my 3* roster currently enjoys.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    In the last two weeks, I've gotten my 14th cover for Hulkbuster and my 14th and 15th for X-23. My IMHB cover expires in 5 days, so I think I'll be selling off my champed 2* Cap Marvel, baby Torch and Daken to help champ IMHB. And then I expect I'll sell off my 2* Wolverine after this event to help level X-23 (who I've had a surprising amount of fun with and am looking forward to champing).

There are six 2*s I don't think I'll sell anytime soon, however: OBW, Storm, Thor, Ares, Mags and Hawkeye. Even though I have a pretty nice 3* roster now and I'm moving towards 4*-land, I use those 2*s every day for DDQ and don't shy away from using them in PVE when they're boosted. I think I'd have to land in an unexpected ISO emergency (like, stumbling into 5 Icemans in a week) to consider selling any of them off.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Yeah, you cycle through the 2*s, no need to use the 65K to level your 4*s. Save it for your 2*s, build up the other iso elsewhere.

Is this actually a thing worth doing? Selling a 2*, immediately re-rostering it and then max championing it over and over?

Is there a net gain? Loss? Break even? I terms of ISO, I mean, I know you get covers and such. I would kinda like to re-do the championing thing with my 2*s again.
    Hell, I might even max out the 2*s I never got around to finishing.

I don't think it's worth selling and then re-rostering, because of the time while you have someone useless and you potentially waste covers until the 2* is championed again. I'm building up a production line of 2*, something like this:

I max a 2* champion. As soon as I get the next cover I roster it, and patiently wait until I have 13 covers. If I get a cover I can't use because I already have 5 of that colour, I save it, or sell it if it's about to expire.

As soon as I get the 2* fully covered I sell the max champion and champion the new 2*, freeing up a roster slot.

It's taking a while, I sold practically all of my champions so I that I could champion X23 and a few 3*, and the PvP rewards are more often 70 ISO than 2* covers, but I'm getting there.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    A tad gauche replying to myself, but what the heck.

This morning I championed my last 2*, and now have my production line up and running. Cap is already level 144 and I've started a new one.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I restarted my last original 2* champion last week and I decided now was a good time to level up the unleveled 2*. I just have Torch and Moonstone left, and plan to have them done later this week. Then it's Back to leveling fourstars!
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sold all 13 maxchamped 2s 1st week of June. Already rechamped all of them, actually, already re-maxchamped 6 of the new ones, sold them, and re-rostered a 3rd generation. Should finish and sell the remaining 7 from generation 2 this week.

It's great! Flipping them faster than I expected!

You lucky man! If only I could champ 1*s and 70iso... icon_lol.gif
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    now... when the new patch will be released to fight this meta?

I am sure this practice is not what the devs intended, unfortunatelly.... (like with prologue healing with OBW etc., remember those times? icon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Take advantage of it while it lasts, then.

I just sold my champ Hawkeye and promoted Bullseye in his place. I've got 7 covers on the replacement Hawkeye already. Moonstone, baby Torch, and baby Steve all need to get up to 94 to get promoted (or re-promoted in the latter two cases). Ares finally hit 144. I'm thinking I may dump Daken to bring Steve back up. Or Thor for Torch.

I use Magneto, Marvel, Wolverine every day in DDQ, and Ares+OBW are my back-up team for that, so I'm a little hesitant to sell any of them just yet. We'll see.