I sold exactly 3 maxed-champed 2 stars: Here's Why

JohnnyBlood
JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, after D3 adjusted the selling price of maxed champed characters, I got to thinking. And while I was thinking, I thought to myself, self, how often do you actually use your 2 star.png s? Deadpool Daily and when required in PVE. At the time, I had max champed icon_ares.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_daken.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_humantorch.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_ms_marvel.pngicon_storm.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_thor.png . I decided to sell icon_daken.pngicon_ms_marvel.png and icon_humantorch.png , because their 3* variants are all way better, so what was the point of them when I could turn them into 195K iso8.png and 375 imcoin.png ? I then re-rostered them and plan on never leveling them up, because when they are essential, they'll be boosted, and I'll most likely be relying on the 2 other characters in the match anyways. Also, during Deadpool's daily, I'll still have at least 4 2 star.png s to choose from if the 3rd node happens to be all 2 star.png s. With that extra Iso, I was able to champ icon_falcon.png , and bring 4 star.pngicon_deadpool.png to lvl 250 (12 covers) and icon_elektra.png to lvl 172, and beat their respective clash of the titans for the first time with both of them, with still about a 90K iso8.png cushion to work on leveling going forward. This has so far been one of the best roster moves I've made in a long time.

Comments

• JohnnyBlood
    Also, side note, was able to comfortably hit the 25 CP in EoTS with a lvl 91 tiny torch burning ninjas with his Bic Lighter (mostly thanks to the massive wave node points on the last day, I'll admit).
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll be going from 0 to max-champed all the time. The CP and HP is great, as well as the covers and Heroic Tokens. I'm happy that they made this change. It just makes sense.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just sold my baby Torch, since EOTS just finished. He won't roll around as an essential again for a few weeks, probably. He's already back to 1/4/4 level 24. I used the ISO from the sale to make Spidey a champion, as he had a cover in my queue about to expire, and drew an Iceman from the resulting LT.

I've been holding all 2* covers in inventory for several days now; I'm up to 70-something I think. So when The Hunt is over I'll probably sell baby Cap, rebuild him from whatever covers I have in inventory (think I have 5 blue sitting there already), and put the ISO into someone else. Falcon, probably.

Eventually I'll re-champion the 2* and rake in those bonus rewards again.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    When the price change was announced, I sold all 10 of my level 144 2* champs and replaced them all with 1-cover versions that I had saved up. I used the 650k ISO to level up my 4*s. But now I have the annoying task of building up my 2*s again. I have MnMags champed again, and OBW is close, but the other 8 2*s have between 11-13 covers and are all under level 30. It's going to take a long time before they're all champed.

I think the better move is to sell 1 champ off to level up another previously sold 2* back up to level 94.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Orion wrote:
    When the price change was announced, I sold all 10 of my level 144 2* champs and replaced them all with 1-cover versions that I had saved up. I used the 650k ISO to level up my 4*s. But now I have the annoying task of building up my 2*s again. I have MnMags champed again, and OBW is close, but the other 8 2*s have between 11-13 covers and are all under level 30. It's going to take a long time before they're all champed.

I think the better move is to sell 1 champ off to level up another previously sold 2* back up to level 94.

I pretty much did this, but saved about 200k iso to use for champing the 2*s I could to get the process started again.
  • JohnnyBlood
    Orion wrote:

But what I'm saying is, if you are working on your 4*s, I'm assuming you at least have a good 3* base, so why even bother leveling your 2*s back up, especially when they have 3* variants that are much better (besides getting your 2*s back to be able to get through DDQ easily enough). Use the iso shot in the arm, and then continue with progressing the rest of your roster that is actually useful?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, you cycle through the 2*s, no need to use the 65K to level your 4*s. Save it for your 2*s, build up the other iso elsewhere.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Orion wrote:

But what I'm saying is, if you are working on your 4*s, I'm assuming you at least have a good 3* base, so why even bother leveling your 2*s back up, especially when they have 3* variants that are much better (besides getting your 2*s back to be able to get through DDQ easily enough). Use the iso shot in the arm, and then continue with progressing the rest of your roster that is actually useful?

to get the non-iso rewards
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    This was a huge change, and significantly helped my transition. I had 400k iso saved up from Gauntlet and ISO-8 Brotherhood and eleven max champ'd star.pngstar.png. I sold eight of them, and with the combined iso champ'd eight star.pngstar.pngstar.png in return. Making iso off those champ levels helped me to push a ninth star.pngstar.pngstar.png to champ, and now I've got two more lined up. So, in a span of about three weeks, I will have replaced eleven max champ'd twos with eleven champ'd threes. Absolutely solid deal, the eight star.pngstar.png I sold are mostly already re-covered.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I sold 3 of them too - to max iceman. I will now be maxing the 2s again. It won't be a lot of fun, but neither was saving up 200k for iceman and now I get to use him to help me earn the iso back that I need for the 2s. I realize that the rewards aren't great, but I think it's worth it.

My only complaint is that the most covers I had for a 2 was Storm with 6, so I rostered her as a dupe. Since then I haven't pulled a single storm cover, but I've almost totally re-covered the other two that I sold almost a week after her. Stop being a jerk RNG!
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    My thinking on the 2* Champion thing, is we get to set up a "food chain".

Each 2* gets you a guaranteed 3*.

Those 3*s get a guaranteed 4*.

The 2*s churn over fast, and give frequent random perks (except Bagman...).

I'm pretty content to rinse and repeat my 2*s. May even get around to having dupe farms for some of them so they have a max Champion hanging around. Don't forget that Champion Churning coughs up HP for roster spots too, and you can always burn a random Max Champ for a roster spot for a neat resource spike on top of a space.

All told, I think it's a decent way to play keeping up the Champion Churning. Even if some of the food chains are weak...

I'm looking at you, Classic Bullseye into Electro <.<
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just sold my baby Torch, since EOTS just finished. He won't roll around as an essential again for a few weeks, probably. He's already back to 1/4/4 level 24. I used the ISO from the sale to make Spidey a champion, as he had a cover in my queue about to expire, and drew an Iceman from the resulting LT.

I've done exactly that for that reason. By the time baby Torch comes round again, I will probably have him maxed covered again. I wont sell anyone else until I get baby Torch back to 94 though. I'll do them one at a time.

Got 3* Hulk champed with the ISO gained. Just 11 3*s left to champ now.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm duping the 4 that I use for DDQ and LRs (cStorm, MNMags, Capt. Marvel & Daken) and recycling all the others. I've saved up covers since the change went into effect and have ~90 in my queue.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I really wish they had gone just a little past the actual threshold necessary to make the 2* champion-cycling an Iso-positive strategy. An extra 8k Iso on the sale would have made it so the only drawback to selling off your 2*s was the wait time. As it is, you have to pay a little under 8k Iso (and the time, which seems to be something like 6 months to a year on average?) for 3 3* covers and some currency, which is probably worth it but kind of feel-bad.

That said, I've rostered all the 10 2*s that appear as required characters in PvE and plan to cycle through them as I get their covers. 2* Wolverine is coming up for me and I'm looking forward to getting rid of him for the first time. The negative 8k Iso every year is something I guess I can live with.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Yeah, you cycle through the 2*s, no need to use the 65K to level your 4*s. Save it for your 2*s, build up the other iso elsewhere.

Is this actually a thing worth doing? Selling a 2*, immediately re-rostering it and then max championing it over and over?

Is there a net gain? Loss? Break even? I terms of ISO, I mean, I know you get covers and such. I would kinda like to re-do the championing thing with my 2*s again.
    Hell, I might even max out the 2*s I never got around to finishing.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    mpqr7 wrote:

Is this actually a thing worth doing? Selling a 2*, immediately re-rostering it and then max championing it over and over?

Is there a net gain? Loss? Break even? I terms of ISO, I mean, I know you get covers and such. I would kinda like to re-do the championing thing with my 2*s again.

Ignoring whether or not you sell the covers from tokens or the 3*, I believe you lose about 8k each cycle. Which a heavy duty player can make in a day.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    mpqr7 wrote:

Ignoring whether or not you sell the covers from tokens or the 3*, I believe you lose about 8k each cycle. Which a heavy duty player can make in a day.
    Actually, if you ignore the opportunity cost of the sold covers, you gain almost 8k ISO, not the other way around. If you have to consider the opportunity cost (I don't, because who cares), it becomes a potential loss of 8k.

Total from sale = +65,000
    Minus cost to max again and champion fee (74,529) = -9,529
    Plus champion reward ISO (17,500) = +7,971

Source.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I just sold ALL of my championed 2*'s let's see how dpd seems like now... Then opened 50 std tokens and got only 2 2* back.. Oh boy I think I'm in a trouble now.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    mckauhu wrote:
    I just sold ALL of my championed 2*'s let's see how dpd seems like now... Then opened 50 std tokens and got only 2 2* back.. Oh boy I think I'm in a trouble now.

Your rash decision has angered RNGeezus! O.o
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's a loosing system but in an iso starved economy, it's one of the only. Its one of the only options other than spending a ton of cash for little iso. I sold off my three least useful 2 stars, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, and Baby Torch. Also the three I seem to get the most covers for them.

At this point it feels like a necessary evil.