Do you enjoy Venom Bomb?

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want to like it because it was a new story and didn't contain dark avengers and I also really like venom and carnage.

But each time this runs I forget what a nightmare it is until I reach sub 3 then I just stop playing.

I reach progression and stop. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against a hard event (galactus and gauntlet are great and I even like simulator) but venom plus carnage and a feeder? You're just eating skills left right and centre and it feels so hard it's unfair.

It wouldn't take much to make it fair, in fact one change would make it fair.... Don't feed red.
  • johnmcclane
    johnmcclane Posts: 170
    no no no no no no no no no no no.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely not my favorite because I loathe Carnage. If there was ever a character in this game that deserved a whack with the nerf hammer, it is Carnage. That being said, it is challenging and although I cuss like a tinykitty when I lose to a Carnage/Venom team, even with my best team - 278 HB, 261 OML and 255 Phoenix, it is a change from everything else this game offers.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    All PvE should remove the feeders+char node.

This is one of the worst because it has a lot of different nodes, Venom+feeders, Doc oct+feeders, Carnage+feeders, Carnage+Venom+feeders, etc, etc.

But these nodes should be removed from all events, they are very unfair, it is almost cheating!
  • Marvelfamily
    Marvelfamily Posts: 208
    Hahaha! No. Worst PvE!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I made it to max progression. I feel it wasn't so bad. It's boring and grindy like most pves... no better, no worse.

I think my favorite pve is simulator, because you get to fight new and interesting combinations of enemies. Gauntlet is a close second, although it often skews to being too hard by the end, and the prizes don't match how challenging it is.

Yeah the feeder nodes are pretty awful, but I have over 90 characters, so if a few die on one node, I just use others on the next one.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last run I found absolutely intolerable. The boosted heroes (Thor, Panther, Falcon, Kamala, something like that) just weren't good enough to take on symbiotes. Not enough board shake, too slow, couldn't handle special tiles getting out of control on you.

This run, with Kamala getting the essential boost, and 4* Thor being a weekly boost, I can tolerate. Only because my 4hor is a perfectly usable 5/2/4, boosted into the 190s, and I have a champion IM40 to charge her (and Kamala's greeen!) up. They can mow down symbiotes pretty fast so long as I get those two yellow matches to start. Damned if I know how I'd be getting through these nodes otherwise.

The overall design of this event is pretty bad, though. The symbiotes feeding off each others' abilities is challenging enough (this one spams out specials, this one starts enhancing them, and this one hits you for damage if you destroy them. Great, just great), but when you throw Carnage & Venom into the mix, getting fed red & green by those symbiotes, it's through-the-wall frustrating and just kind of reeks of "buy health packs, suckers," (which sums up Carnage's entire design, really).

Don't get me wrong; I'm not looking forward to days of "overscaled 2* Wolverine getting fed red by ninjas," either. Eating those unearned Adamantium Slashes in the face over & over again gets pretty old pretty fast.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I like it until I get to the point where I face Carnage and the two red-feeders. I still get progression and finish well, but by that point I am ready for it to be done.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    first two days - yes, why not?
    last two days - NO!

I am glad i got progression reward after first two clears of third sub and forgot about this event.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't mind it for difficulty, even though I did feel rage when Carnage got infinite AP from goons, because I know everybody I compete with suffers that

What drove me insane were the pauses.

Goon uses an ability -> Banner telling you the ability, pause, light up tile, pause, use another ability with banner, pause, light up tile, pause etc.
  • msp2211
    msp2211 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Maybe the solution is to make the feeder nodes with carnage the loaner nodes too. The devs would have to bump the levels up on our loaner, but we wouldn't have to burn 3 health packs each attempt. It would be more fun to use a 270 Kate to see what she can do.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't mind it that much because my roster is finally to the point where even level 325 enemies aren't that hard. If they used the old level 395 limit then I'm sure it would suck horribly for me too.

It will be interesting to see how the scaling for EotS works in this test run. I don't know why D3 seems to think that hard=fun. It doesn't, guys.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    ammenell wrote:
    i love frustrating pves.
    gives me a break from the game.
    I play way to much.

THIS.
    This was the first time in probably a year+ where I intentionally skipped an entire PVE because of how irritating it.
    Carnage + 2 Muscle Goons?
    Carnage + 2 Red AP feeder goons?

The definition of frustrating & luck required to win with little health lost.
    And I have a Level 335 5 3 4 OML. I can't even imagine how others deal with this.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    THIS.
    This was the first time in probably a year+ where I intentionally skipped an entire PVE because of how irritating it.
    Carnage + 2 Muscle Goons?
    Carnage + 2 Red AP feeder goons?

The definition of frustrating & luck required to win with little health lost.
    And I have a Level 335 5 3 4 OML. I can't even imagine how others deal with this.
    progression could easily be reached without every hitting any of those nodes. I hit progression my second node into sub4 and i'll play sub4 as a 6-node sub, just farming some iso out. you don't HAVE to hit every node. I left a cp in the top node last night and not touching the top node today. i'll put more time into pvp and shield simulator.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    It sucks, I don't like it, barely played it. However, IMO it is a more natural way to separate leaders in PvE than how fast they can play. Nodes should block out players as they get harder.

The problem is the rest of the game (randomized rewards, health packs, etc...) isn't built around that idea.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Multiple feeders that match the colour of the active opponent is a horrendous design and unlike most other times you get that annoyance, you don't even have some goon nodes to relax on as the symbiotes are so overpowered with all the junk they can spam out.

They have to overhaul the way goon nodes work, there are loads of ways they could change them, such as they should either not be the same colour as the active opponent or they should not generate any ap while somebody on the team can earn it from making matches or they should not generate any ap unless there is a potential match for their colour on the board or active opponents do not get access to goon-produced ap.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    msp2211 wrote:
    Maybe the solution is to make the feeder nodes with carnage the loaner nodes too. The devs would have to bump the levels up on our loaner, but we wouldn't have to burn 3 health packs each attempt. It would be more fun to use a 270 Kate to see what she can do.

3 health packs? What are you talking about? It takes me 2 tries each time to beat the last node. It's more like 5-6 health packs. It's a good thing kamala khan is boosted. I hit the last node then hit a lower node to decrease the hp almost dead characters some more so I can maximize the use of my health packs.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    simulator, venom bomb and now enemy of state - we are getting all the worst ones in a row!
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Symbiote Scythes managed to off Kamala in the essential node before I could even fire off a power, and that's running 3* Spider-Man and Quicksilver for some of the cheapest powers around. That is some diminutive feline litter box content right there.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Joined a day late but still reached CP top progression reward and 2nd clear of final day. Used Thoress/Im40 and another healthy 3* boosted (usually quicksilver for his blue passive AOE) to finish hard nodes. Highly dependent on stunlocking Carnage and Venom. If I don't have a good yellow board to start off with, it can get out of hand the longer the fight goes. It's always fun the first time through the sub-event, as I try out and see how the boosted characters complement each other but by the 4+ time and remaining grind, I usually got bored and switched to PVP/Lightning rounds