Story Difficulty Scaling - New Test: Meet Rocket & Groot

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dark Nova wrote:
    - If you want the top placement reward, you just ignore the entire event until the last hour, then join a slice to play all the 'qualifying' nodes and do 1 full clear of the final mission. I've achieved t10 placement with this method, about 90% of the time (otherwise t50).

The fact that I can game the system like this only illustrates how flawed the placement reward system is.
    You must be getting an ultra-noob bracket every time. Or you're a master of hyperbole. There are hardly every fresh "normal" brackets that open up that late. Anyone following your advice will more than likely end up in a bracket that's been open for a couple of days, and struggle for T200.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    What is the obsession with making everything harder? I can barely play any more with my championed 3 star team because it seems like nearly everything ends up destroying me so badly that I have to play a node multiple times just to maybe (and I mean maybe) beat it even once. I also love how DDQ's Big Enchilada can occasionally wipe said team in a couple of rounds (usually when Ultron is involved).

Then, of course, there's the already discussed to death fact that the rewards no longer reflect the effort involved. I'm not going to spend hours busting my hump and wanting to break my screen after every "lucky" cascade of doom just so I can maybe get one four star cover. At this point, I've resigned myself to being stuck with a 3 star team for the rest of this game's lifespan - I mean, I've already been there for at least a year and a half, and I can't imagine this surviving that much longer.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    BTW : you all complain that this new system makes your grind longer.... Well in the Bucky pve I finished with max prog +50% and still didn't make t20 (21st dammit) and that cost me 3 hours of my time at the end of every sub so the old system is just as guilty of swallowing time on new rleases you're just accustomed to it

Well, the new system will make it that you have to do 2 grind downs back to back, so 6 straight hours of MPQ if it takes you 3 hours... So no, it's not the same time requirement.

Old system is grind down then 1 clear of new sub.
  • Pollozz
    Pollozz Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Love what they are trying to do. Ill be playing and testing. Hopefully the new system get implemented very soon. Thumbs up devs!!!!!
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Test rewards are out. 4* Cyclops are top 10 rewards. Finally a reward that will probably get more people to play?
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Dark Nova wrote:
    - If you want the top placement reward, you just ignore the entire event until the last hour, then join a slice to play all the 'qualifying' nodes and do 1 full clear of the final mission. I've achieved t10 placement with this method, about 90% of the time (otherwise t50).

The fact that I can game the system like this only illustrates how flawed the placement reward system is.
    You must be getting an ultra-noob bracket every time. Or you're a master of hyperbole. There are hardly every fresh "normal" brackets that open up that late. Anyone following your advice will more than likely end up in a bracket that's been open for a couple of days, and struggle for T200.

Not really, its like everything in the game and a lottery. I usually join with anywhere between 45-90 minutes left. Couple of times in a row that was good enough for top 10 (2 clears), then I went through a rough patch of being the 400th+ player to join and back top a good top 100/50.

@Dark Nova, to a degree it is wrong that players are able to get good placement this way but by sniping brackets you do miss out on lots of ISO, tokens and critical boosts. At the moment ISO is in shorter supply than character covers so there is a drawback.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    4Clops reward. Get ready for a bloodbath. This will be a good test for those who say they could easily walk into a top 5/10 spot.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Dark Nova wrote:

For once I'm in agreement with simonsez, bracket sniping only works if you follow bracket status' via LINE. Other wise its pot luck, more often unlucky than lucky. The tactic is solid (I'm a bracket sniper myself) but it's not as simple as join late. Incidentally that tactic DOES work in pvp.

**4Clops is the prize so while it's not a new release it should be just as hectic for me to guinea pig.

Someone mentioned time comittment being higher?

New system I do my 7 clears whenever I felt like it spread out throughout the day with a small grind at sub end (I do mean small) and made t10

Old System I do my 3 scheduled clears (one is always at 4am how awesome is that?) and then about 4 or 5 grinds at the end of the sub.

I'd say overall the time committment is the same it's just not organised the same way. and my point was that you don't HAVE to do all your clears right away in new system to finish t10 - I've proven that previously and hopefully will do so again during Meet R+G.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    BTW : you all complain that this new system makes your grind longer.... Well in the Bucky pve I finished with max prog +50% and still didn't make t20 (21st dammit) and that cost me 3 hours of my time at the end of every sub so the old system is just as guilty of swallowing time on new rleases you're just accustomed to it

Well, the new system will make it that you have to do 2 grind downs back to back, so 6 straight hours of MPQ if it takes you 3 hours... So no, it's not the same time requirement.

New system is four clears instead of six though, so with the new system you'll be doing 4+4 clears instead of 6+1. That's one more clear for optimal play.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Quebbster wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:

New system is four clears instead of six though, so with the new system you'll be doing 4+4 clears instead of 6+1. That's one more clear for optimal play.

But with the new scaling it will probably take more time since they are intent on not capping levels.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merrick wrote:
    4Clops reward. Get ready for a bloodbath. This will be a good test for those who say they could easily walk into a top 5/10 spot.

Yep, since its release almost a year ago or so, I have drawn from tokens exactly these many 4clops: 0.0000. So I really need to go for it. I usually can top 10 or top 5 non-releasing PVEs so it will be a good test indeed of how this marvellous new system screws competitive players. I can only hope I'll be wrong buuuuuuuut
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    oh dear, Cyclops rewards icon_lol.gif

To all of you who think you can place well with doing your clears whenever you want, good frigging luck icon_lol.gif
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    DuckyV wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:

But with the new scaling, which will probably take more time since they are intent on not capping levels.

Actually, with the new scaling, the first clears should take less time (especially since they've supposedly brought back trivial nodes), and the last clears will take more. So it's not that cut and dry.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've enjoyed the first hour or so. The easy nodes are back and stay easy. The scaling starts pretty low and goes up less times, it doesn't seem to scale crazy high (compared to last tests for sure - seems lower that "standard" PVE for me so far)

If it wasn't hood in (practically) every node I might actually try to run to progression!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Merrick wrote:

Yep, since its release almost a year ago or so, I have drawn from tokens exactly these many 4clops: 0.0000. So I really need to go for it. I usually can top 10 or top 5 non-releasing PVEs so it will be a good test indeed of how this marvellous new system screws competitive players. I can only hope I'll be wrong buuuuuuuut

It's bizarre to me reading how many folks really want the 4clops. I guess I just got really lucky with him - drew one the other day on CP to move him to 279, considered running late to get the 280LT (fixed, thanks OJSP).

I had him and Rhulk done much earlier than some of the characters that were released before them, because they were rewards in Ultron/Galactus (whatever, that format) - with a decent alliance you could get at least three covers (one in PVP, at least two in boss PVE). I wish every PVE release was like that, so you could start at 1/1/1 without having to be T2.

For instance, I was really glad to see Iceman in Gauntlet - two weeks ago I was still at 10 covers of this character that was released before Cyc, who I've had champed for four seasons now! Although luck may come in streaks - since then I drew the other needed two covers of my (creepy) impossible unicorn.

To those trying to run the entire event rather than jumping in late and getting one of those top prizes - I expect the grind to take you quite awhile still, and wish you good luck. Will it take longer than the original PVE's? I don't know right now, I'd guess a little? Certainly this format is brutal with the "grind at the end, immediately grind again at the beginning (now "just" four times!)"
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    That first 4 clears took me 72min so it's not bad. In fact I prefer that way more than 20min now, then 20min again 8 and 16h later. Leaving under 2h for final grind gives around 3h for clearing all nodes. It would all great if not the fact that a maniac who will decide to do several clears of node 1 right now (If Im not wrong you have to do 7 additional clears worth 140 points that you would lose for not waiting till points refresh) can just spam it for that 20 aditional points over and over again...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bulls wrote:
    That first 4 clears took me 72min so it's not bad. In fact I prefer that way more than 20min now, then 20min again 8 and 16h later. Leaving under 2h for final grind gives around 3h for clearing all nodes. It would all great if not the fact that a maniac who will decide to do several clears of node 1 right now (If Im not wrong you have to do 7 additional clears worth 140 points that you would lose for not waiting till points refresh) can just spam it for that 20 aditional points over and over again...
    my concern is that 3hr you talk about for new characters. After a big grind at the end of a sub for new characters I am ready for a break. Now I have to grind for 70-90 min after a 90-120 min grind? That is a lot of game time in a row. I am going to try clearing more through to day like the old PVE but I feel it will not be enough if I really wanted to place instead of just farming ISO
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    A champ 4☆ player in my alliance just showed us Sight Seeing after 4x hits (max difficulty), level 37 goons. Hit that all day for +20/hit

Nodes need to bottom out @1 or lock after 7x.
  • EleganceFlawed
    EleganceFlawed Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    As a casual player who can't commit to logging in at a particular time, I appreciate the removal of the 8 hour refresh. This way if I'm sitting at work doing nothing I can get a lot of play in, but not have to try to play while I'm supposed to be sleeping.

After reading through this thread I would have to agree on the rewards system - having a more straightforward you finished this, you get this system would seem to make sense, and if nodes locked after they were completed the refreshes and grinding would be a nonissue.

It would also be nice as some others have stated here to be able to use more of my roster to make things less monotonous. Right now I have a decent 2* team and Im not even able to use most of the 30 or so 3* guys I have, which makes me less encouraged to try to win more of them.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have anything better to do today so I might hit the easy 20 point node a little over a thousand times today after doing my four clears of each node to get the 25 cp icon_e_biggrin.gif