Monthly fee for a better setup??

Options

Comments

• wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    I would pay a monthly fee no problem. The problem is it would disinsentivize whaling, and the feeling of those who NEED to be on top from feeling so, uh...toppy.
  • Breadsticks
    Breadsticks Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Whaling would still be possible just like in World of Warcraft. Just because there's a fee doesn't mean all avenues for separate purchases go away.

The amount of ISO given is kind of irrelevant for the new player in the monthly sub. The reason being is that in the game's current state new players need to catch up quickly. Therefore, they need higher ISO amounts to just field a 2* roster that's usable. At some point when they are somewhat caught up the ISO won't be as much of a boon.

If that's not palatable then maybe new subs who just start the game have a lower ISO limit etc for the first 60-90 days. This is about the time when ISO becomes more crucial as the player has a lot of 3s that need feeding as well as any 4s that could be usable.

Keep in mind this sub model isn't meant to completely alleviate the aforementioned issues. It's to serve as a help for us players while allowing the devs and publisher to still make money off the other streams. As I stated earlier, purchases should really be confined to help for tournaments and character purchases via packs with some to a lesser extent on ISO. (The ISO value per dollar would have to be adjusted to be much more cost effective.)

On a side note, it really does seem like some people have the attitude, "well it sucked for us so screw anyone else who comes along." That's ridiculous.
  • Halleck
    Halleck Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I’m not fundamentally opposed to a subscription, but my overriding concern with a subscription is that it would further fracture the player base.

1. One of the reasons the developers typically have my sympathy is that there’s already a wide range of rosters, playtime-per-day/week constrictions/desires, and levels of paying-in.

2. I wouldn't want things to devolve in a pay-to-win way. (I didn’t install the game for the longest time because I assumed the worst. Although I would have preferred a fundamentally different business model, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the balance it strikes.)

I’d like to see MPQ ‘take things to the next level’ (I can’t think of a less clique term) it terms of shoring up some underlying flaws, polishing up some little things, and adding new content more often. (New content that everyone can enjoy - like events and features, unlikely 4* characters.)

I suspect additional revenue is needed to make that happen. I would be initially skeptical of a revenue shake-up being for the better, but I'm not so emotionally or financially invested in the current status quo game that I'm unwilling to take that gamble. (-and contribute more financially myself, if needed.)
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You're all thinking too big. The game is a f2p mobile app. Monthly fees have no place here, stick to what f2p does best, micro transactions. The game should be flooded with cheap, premium boosts. Random numbers here but what about 10 HP for a 2x iso boost that lasts 30 minutes? 5 HP for a boost that mitigates damage received by 30% for the next match, 75 HP to double that daily resupply for 24 hours (save that for days you get covers or cp). This game like all f2p games has a very significant pay to win section, it certainly doesn't need another paying tier that excludes a large portion of the player base that plays for free.
  • Breadsticks
    Options
    I stopped playing Marvel War of Heroes for some of the same exact problems occurring here. I installed this game a year ago and refused to play because I believed it would be a repeat of the same. I allowed myself to be sucked in these last three months and while they do many things better like clamping down on cheating which was horrible in MWOH there are still some of the same issues.

The catchup mechanism for new players is terrible and the ISO support is wholly underwhelming for everyone. In addition, roster spaces with expiring covers is a joke. Unlike MWOH I could at least trade to alleviate some of these problems.

People should go check out Urban Rivals as it does some things well that could be executed here. I do want to keep playing but I can't see investing any more money or time with how it is now. (Have 70 slots already so I don't buy into people complaining if they gave everyone free slots since I paid for mine as well)

MWOH closed up within the last couple months after being around a few years and I see the same fate here. You can't sustain a game on whales and vets especially not a collectible card game. You need an influx of new players constantly and the bar to entry has to be low and fast otherwise they leave. This is a collectible card game and as as long as people treat it like something else it's doomed to fail.
  • Breadsticks
    Options
    The transactions here are hardly micro. No more than$5 would be micro. You might as well pay a monthly fee if it takes you$20 to just get 3 roster slots ad you think that's micro? You could pay twice that in a yearly fee and be much happier. https://www.urban-rivals.com go look and see what they do. Same things can be done here.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    As it is right now I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it's full content. Apart from the characters everything is pretty much iterations of the same concept, compared to other puzzle games there is almost no gameplay to speak of. As someone pointed out it is a collectible card game, with many cards and almost no game. I would not pay a monthly fee for that.
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    Options
    although I wouldn't mind paying a sub fee for a tiered pve system implementation and more heathpacks/decreased regen upon paying x amount. I rather they just ask for money to do this with the current system and put up a page of clear goals whats reached and whats not and make sure we understand how long it will be implimented and keep us informed. implementing a vip like system would be nice when they do that it never resets or at least for a year would be nice.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Options
    I'd pay $10/month or $100/year for a 50% boost in ISO rewards, and a 1% increase in top tier drop rates (so 5*s in LTs, 4*s in event/heroics, 3* in standard, etc.)
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd pay $10/month or $100/year for a 50% boost in ISO rewards, and a 1% increase in top tier drop rates (so 5*s in LTs, 4*s in event/heroics, 3* in standard, etc.)

I wouldn't in a million years. $10US would mean £10 for us, equivalent to about $15US. Cost of living and wages aren't that much different and being honest this game is not worth anywhere near £120 a year, heck it is more than a World Of Warcraft sub. By being a canny shopper I can pick up 3 full triple home console games for £120 that would easily last me 12 months and I have the chance of recouping some of that if I were to sell them on.

Perspective please folks are we really willing to drop trow and sell ourselves to the lowest bidder for a bit of ISO? It really is the job of the developer to evolves rewards and resources to match the evolution of the game, not the job of the customer to pay even more money for a resource that has long been throttled?

Think about an increase of 1% drop rates for a 5*. That would increase to just a paltry 11%. 11%! And there will still be those who get the pointy end of randomness. If you had just forked out 100 notes and still had zero 5* characters after opening 50 Legendary tokens would you still be thinking value for money? Have the developers now brainwashed people into believing that randomness really is the way to progress? Just imagine that proposed 11% 5* drop rate in 6 months time when a slew of new 5*'s have diluted the pool and then imagine the odds of getting the character you want or need.

Been a long hard night at work so please don't take what I say personally but a subscription service really would kill this game.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder if there's a correlation here between country of residence and agreement to this idea.

I'm UK and I'm against a pay to play model
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not "NO", not "Hell, NO" but "TINYKITTY NO".
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I get top 10 or top 2 in pve when I want to. I hit 1300+ every PvP. I haven't spent a penny on this game in over a year and a half.

Err no thank you, i don't want to give any more money to play.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    In Future Fight they have hugely popular one off purchases that give you 30 days of daily gifts... each gift is relatively small... but over 30 days it adds up to significant.... assuming you log in every day to collect them...

one is an initial hit of a small qty of crystals (400) and then a further 75 per day. Crystals are for doing stuff like buying their equivalent of covers, alternate costumes or bonus packs... while 75 a day is useless, across the month you get something like 2500 which is a functionally useful quantity

the other was 20 covers a day for 30 days for £7/$10ish... now they have 6 tiers taking a character from recruited to awesome power... 10/20/40/80/160/320 per tier. not cumulative. so it is 630 total... but that means for £7 I can almost fully unlock the character powers... they are still level 1 though.

these are just buy options and genuinely micro-transactions... and I think something similar would be epic.... plus you can only have one of each monthly purchase active at any time...

hell, you charge me £10 for sufficient resource to buy a cover of my choice on a desired character every 3rd day for 30 days then I would do it...

or £10 for 5,000 iso per day for 30 days... then I might do that too...
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    You're all thinking too big. The game is a f2p mobile app. Monthly fees have no place here, stick to what f2p does best, micro transactions. The game should be flooded with cheap, premium boosts. Random numbers here but what about 10 HP for a 2x iso boost that lasts 30 minutes? 5 HP for a boost that mitigates damage received by 30% for the next match, 75 HP to double that daily resupply for 24 hours (save that for days you get covers or cp). This game like all f2p games has a very significant pay to win section, it certainly doesn't need another paying tier that excludes a large portion of the player base that plays for free.

This is spot-on. There are no micro-transactions in this game. Even the most expensive purchase option isn't that helpful. 78,000 iso8.png is a drop in the bucket for anyone with a well-developed roster, and all 20,000 imcoin.png gets you is a **** ton of shields and some token/vault pulls if you're crazy. The game economy is pretty busted and needs a total overhaul.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When you have a game that, at its roots, is f2p with in-game purchases that can be made to get a jump start (or more if you have tons of disposable income) on the rest of the crowd, you create general hard feelings among the f2pers.

When you add a monthly subscription option, no matter how cheap to how expensive a range of such options may be, you solidify those feelings among those who wish to be f2p.

I have spent $50 over the course of the ~760 days I have been playing this game because I enjoy it, like showing my support, and don't mind helping my roster with some HP purchases here and there because the influx of characters is still so great that I can't stay HP positive exclusively on PvP rewards.

Despite the fact that I have tossed in the equivalent of a 2 year subscription at $1.99 per month and some change, I am wholly opposed to the idea of a subscription model overlay on top of what we have, especially if it were implemented in a tiered structure. Life already has enough moments where people with far more disposable income than I can get ahead, and that is fine where it already exists. Let the whales keep throwing money at this game the way they do, and instead fix the ISO shortage some other way, like with an overhaul of the ISO purchasing side. Do you seriously need all those free roster slots so you can add that 2 cover Winter Soldier that you might get another cover for in 2 months' time? Selling covers hurts. I understand. I've done it. That doesn't necessitate a subscription for more benefits.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm a F2P player.

I'd pay $5 a month ($60 a year) for the following benefits:

1) ISO reward boost based on your resupply date. After reaching 1 year (day 365) all rewards are doubled, after reaching 2 years (day 720) all rewards tripled and so on.
    2) Loaner character for all events (DDQ, PvE) if needed. So if the required 3* for a PvE is Beast and you don't have Beast rostered you can get a loaner Beast (1/1/1) for the event (this loaner gets boosted since required characters are always boosted). For DDQ you'll get a loaner for the DAT character so you can earn the Taco token (and access Big Enchilada) and a loaner for the 4* if you want to try for the LT with a 1/1/1 4* character.
    3) All Resupply Tokens are upgraded 1 level (standard becomes heroic, heroic becomes legendary).
    4) Covers never expired.

Good things here for vets and new players alike and none of it would 'break the game' for F2P players by invalidating their prior efforts.

KGB
  • Knyghtmare
    Knyghtmare Posts: 71
    Options
    I think you have the beginnings of a good idea. Many players who are not paying now, may be willing to pay a monthly fee for the right benefits. I like the idea of the free roster slots, but you would need to give some cp and better iso for it to be interesting. Maybe giving a legendary or multiple legendaries every month would be good as well. The whales would still be whaling because they want to create a full character instantly. This could be interesting to someone who won't pay individual payments, but may be able to accept small monthly payments. Don't think they would do it (have you seen the prices for ISO), but it would be interesting.

Knyghtmare
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:

I wouldn't in a million years. $10US would mean £10 for us, equivalent to about $15US. Cost of living and wages aren't that much different and being honest this game is not worth anywhere near £120 a year, heck it is more than a World Of Warcraft sub. By being a canny shopper I can pick up 3 full triple home console games for £120 that would easily last me 12 months and I have the chance of recouping some of that if I were to sell them on.

Perspective please folks are we really willing to drop trow and sell ourselves to the lowest bidder for a bit of ISO? It really is the job of the developer to evolves rewards and resources to match the evolution of the game, not the job of the customer to pay even more money for a resource that has long been throttled?

Think about an increase of 1% drop rates for a 5*. That would increase to just a paltry 11%. 11%! And there will still be those who get the pointy end of randomness. If you had just forked out 100 notes and still had zero 5* characters after opening 50 Legendary tokens would you still be thinking value for money? Have the developers now brainwashed people into believing that randomness really is the way to progress? Just imagine that proposed 11% 5* drop rate in 6 months time when a slew of new 5*'s have diluted the pool and then imagine the odds of getting the character you want or need.

Been a long hard night at work so please don't take what I say personally but a subscription service really would kill this game.
    Sure I could buy a lot more games with $100, but I don't play many other games, I spend most of my gaming time playing MPQ, so for me $10/month is something I'm willing to pay to support the game that I play more than any other.

How would a subscription service possibly kill the game? You can already spend money for ISO, and even super whales can buy end-game content, a subscription service that speeds up progress would do no harm.

And, I still firmly believe that luck based progression in a system where the number of potential chances to get lucky are limited is terrible. In fact I'll do you one better - I'd pay $10/month for access to any sort of repeatable content with CP/LT rewards. Although I do think forcing players to pay for content would break the f2p model.