'Civil War' Comes To MPQ! Story At Marvel.com

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello everyone,

We're very glad we can finally reveal exciting news of the impending arrival of 'Civil War' in Marvel Puzzle Quest!

MPQ_Civil_War_2016.jpg

Head on over to Marvel.com for first details on an awesome new event, cool new characters and more in an interview with D3 Go's Josh Austin.

You can READ IT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: CIVIL WAR
Quote:
"Marvel.com: First off, can you give us a quick rundown of all the awesome stuff dropping?

Josh Austin: 'Marvel Puzzle Quest' will have two runs of our Civil War event with the first one starting on May 5. The first run will feature our first new character release and that will be Winter Soldier. Then we have not one, but two 5-star characters coming...
"

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Winter soldier (4☆)
    Captain America (5☆)
    Ironman (5☆)
    War Machine (4☆)
    All in the span of a few weeks
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's so civil about war anyway?

Actual post: I can't believe that for a few weeks I felt confident enough with my HP-farming that I spent them on PVE vault daily deals. Penury is real!
  • So wait a minute.... You're releasing Winter Soldier via the 7 day Hulk event and then in civil war as well. Jesus guys. Are we not supposed to ever do anything else? I get hat he focus of civil war is earning 5's 90% of us can't use. But forcing us to grind our **** off for a week and then release this event is kinda weak. Won't have time to do anything but play pve. To think I was excited it'd be offseason for WS release. Sike!

Not trying to be a ****. The even sounds really cool. Just was hoping we wouldn't be forced to play Hulk first.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    So wait a minute.... You're releasing Winter Soldier via the 7 day Hulk event and then in civil war as well. Jesus guys. Are we not supposed to ever do anything else? I get hat he focus of civil war is earning 5's 90% of us can't use. But forcing us to grind our **** off for a week and then release this event is kinda weak. Won't have ime ondonanything but play pve. To think I was excited it'd be offseason for WS release. Syke!

I'm putting my tickets to Civil War up for sale - I will be too busy grinding to see the actual movie.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    When the article states that we can start winning Bucky tomorrow do they mean by winning an event or outright purchasing with token lotteries? I ask as there is a big difference.

Will the 2 main flagship (5*) characters be avaliable outside of the lottery of (legendary) tokens or can we obtain them by winning or placing well in events?
  • Also, why does every character have to have a red ability?
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    “Marvel Puzzle Quest” will have two runs of our Civil War event with the first one starting on May 5. The first run will feature our first new character release and that will be Winter Soldier.
    Players can start earning Winter Soldier tomorrow on the 28 and the Civil War event in “Marvel Puzzle Quest” starts on May 5.

So which is it? Is WS going to be the reward for next run of "The Hulk" starting tomorrow? Or is he getting released as a prize for the first run?
    And finally players will be able to earn War Machine later in May, which will be just in time for the second run of the Civil War event.

This seems to imply that both new 4*s will be released as normal characters and then required for their respective runs of Civil War. So the question becomes, what exactly are the rewards for this event? All the article mentions are special legendary tokens that have a chance of dropping the 5*s.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Winter Soldier and 5-star Cap and Iron Man seem to have largely recycled abilities (or previously existing abilities that have added effects), but War Machine is exciting!

"While this tile is on the board, new tiles have a 15% chance of being strength attack tiles on War Machine’s turn."

"The ability removes all enemy invisibility tiles and up to two enemy protect tiles and then deals damage!"

Those are both unique abilities and make for new play dynamics! His third ability, "Gatling Gun," may be interesting as well if you can select where the countdown tiles appear.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    So:

7-day new character event less than a week after Drax's release
    Civil War is another Ultron/Galactus reskin with different bosses
    A total of five new characters in a month, presumably not with an accompanying HP bonanza to pay for the roster spots

Gee, thanks, guys! What's the plan for an Infinity War tie-in, Cthulhu snaps his fingers and kills half of us?
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Did they really spell Bucky wrong?
    5720e9d51afb3.jpg
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    Winter Soldier and 5-star Cap and Iron Man seem to have largely recycled abilities (or previously existing abilities that have added effects), but War Machine is exciting!

Disagree, Iron Man's abilities all seem at least somewhat novel.

Winning Team: Boosted damage based on the presence of certain characters on your team; thematically similar to Ghost Rider's red but in practice very different because it requires you to mess with your own team makeup.
    Girl Friday: Unlike other "add [color] to the board" abilities, this one guarantees you won't leave your opponent a board full of the color you just created -- but also prevents you from making any follow-up matches to take advantage if the move doesn't produce an immediate cascade.
    House Party Protocol: "Nullify all damage above X" is exactly the opposite of how protect tiles work and is an interesting twist on the continuing quest for a defensive ability worth the electrons it's printed on.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did they really spell Bucky wrong?
    5720e9d51afb3.jpg

Really inspires confidence in the overall quality of the event.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Four new characters.

Two new 5*'s.

Which means OML draw chances have to go down in classics, right?

homer-jump-shark.jpg?itok=8CnUwDPC&mtime=1430900190
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Aside from the new characters, the big take-away I see in this are the details of the Civil War alliance event itself:
    ...we have not one, but two 5-star characters coming, Steve Rogers (First Avenger) and Iron Man (Mark XLVI). The two will have a special PVE event where you can fight for either side in collaboration with your Alliance; players will not be stuck on one side, you can fight both sides. ...

Players can switch sides and play either side at any time; however a node that is defeated on one side becomes locked on the other. The points each player earns contribute to the side you are playing in. It’s a good idea to focus your alliance team on one side to get the most out of the event.
    So while you can choose to fight for both sides if your entire alliance doesn't fight for that one side you're just shooting yourselves in the foot.

That makes the affiliations super-important to look through with your alliance. This post by bbf2 and this Google Drive spreadsheet (which I put together with the data from that post) are good resources, unless D3/Demiurge are planning on releasing something official.

I have the spreadsheet sorted by Team Iron Man, then Team Cap, then by star rarity descending. At a first glance, it looks like strong 4* alliances are better off with Team Iron Man and 3* alliances are better off with Team Cap.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I guess it's too much hope that a Winter Solider cover will replace that Hulk cover you get for beating that late sub node in the Hulk PVE? Pretty please? I'll even use that Hot Dog smilie you made under the assumption that we would all love Cho hotdog.pnghotdog.pnghotdog.pnghotdog.pnghotdog.png
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Four new characters.

Two new 5*'s.

Which means OML draw chances have to go down in classics, right?
    Actually it sounds like they're going to be doing something with legendary tokens:
    When players earn a legendary token from the Civil War event, they can use that token for the side they earned it for a chance to get that character.
    That could mean a different mechanic (or two more options) than the Latest and Classic tokens we have now. More info would be nice.

It really feels like this article could have used more editing/attention though. "Steve’s final power is called Coordinated Offense and costs 7 Blue AP," is shown right above a screenshot that shows his blue power costing 9 AP. Maybe it goes down in AP cost with more covers? And the description for Steve's blue has "This deals damage to target opponent and creates a strength tile" -- a strength tile? Do you mean strike tile? Or was a certain strength (and the number was deleted) attack tile?
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    And we continue to have a huge ISO deficit, which continues to worsen with each new release, and nothing addressing it.
  • tdglory49
    tdglory49 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    edited April 2016
    Thoughts:

Good
    - Finally War Machine and Winter Soldier
    - Most of the abilities seem cool, and there doesn't seem to be an immediate dud. Obviously, we need numbers though.
    - Team Alliance Events! (mostly) True PVE!

Mixed/To Be Seen
    - We're probably already past this with **** Spidey/GG, but there seems to be no real reason Cap and Tony need to be 5*s. I know star level != comic powers, but there seemed to be some push to sell us on why BSS and OML should be 5*s.
    - From a pure mechanics standpoint, War Machine and Winter Soldier's abilities seem more interesting than Cap and Tony.
    - That trailer from the other post had a number of 1 v 1 battles. Is that actually in-game? Or just for the trailer?
    - How do the team mechanics actually work with your alliance?
    - So, uh, what's going to happen with the Classic Tokens? Should I start using all my hoarded CP? When is this change coming?
    - How will the rewards work? It looks like you just earn a legendary?

Bad
    - Barring some change in iso drop rates, dropping 2 4*s and 2 5*s (plus whenever War Machine drops) in the span of two weeks seems like you're just taunting us.
    - You're not really going to make us grind The Hulk PVE for Winter Soldier, right? We need him in order to fully participate in the big event, so are you upping placement rewards to Top 300 or something? Otherwise, that's cruel and unusual punishment. According to my records, the last time we had a 7-day new character PVE was Miles with Iso-8 Brotherhood (which is also a far better PVE). I'd assumed our dislike for 7 day new PVEs had been registered. (And yes, I could bracket snipe, but I need iso too much to sit out too long.)
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    tdglory49 wrote:
    Thoughts:
    - We're probably already past this with **** Spidey/GG, but there seems to be no real reason Cap and Tony need to be 5*s. I know star level != comic powers, but there seemed to be some push to sell us on why BSS and OML should be 5*s.

So where would you fit them in? IM is already 4*/3*/1* , and Cap is 4*/3*/2*. 5* is the only tier available for both.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least with Steve, he could've been a 4* release.