Please make a 230 mission's reward worth the risk

Options
Kelbris
Kelbris Posts: 1,051
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Why am I competing for the same amount of ISO when the difficulty of my missions is a lot higher than those of other players?

I get that you're scaling difficulty, but if I'm going to use my Level 50 Necromancer in Hell difficulty on Diablo 2, I kind of expect that when I have to strategize to kill a particular group of enemies in the first damned section of the game, that I won't be getting the same 3-6 damage short sword and 7 gold drop that I got from killing the same enemy (that was in a much weaker iteration) in Normal mode. Not to mention that I shouldn't be getting the same 12 EXP! That guy took like 10 times as long to kill.

So why am I still getting only 100 or 200 ISO for clearing a fight's first play through? I'm not talking about the random chance rewards. Shouldn't higher difficulty = better drops? You're making me lift heavier weights without giving me the benefit of increased muscle mass. Kind of silly.

Comments

• Rewards should scale with difficulty. Seems like basic game theory to me
  • octagon69
    octagon69 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So I'm suppose to fight a lvl 230Hulk for 20 ISO and like 130 points... come on D3 the scaling went from lvl 15 to lvl 220 in like 2 hours.

I take one break and now I can't compete.
  • + 10000% to the topic of this thread
  • gobstopper wrote:
    Rewards should scale with difficulty. Seems like basic game theory to me
    Well stated.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Linking ISO gained to the average level of the opponent seems like it would fix a LOT of isssues.

Well, that and MMR/scaling....
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    octagon69 wrote:
    So I'm suppose to fight a lvl 230Hulk for 20 ISO and like 130 points... come on D3 the scaling went from lvl 15 to lvl 220 in like 2 hours.

I take one break and now I can't compete.

Yeah I'm not talking about random chance rewards, homie. You know when you best a mission for the first time, and it goes "Yay you're cool and stuff! +100 ISO"

Scale THAT, and I'll whoop 230's without issue.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Isn't it awesome when you beat an all 230 mission for the second time and you get 20 ISO?!

Guys?

Isn't it?

Guys?

*tumbleweed*
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The reward part of the risk:reward ratio is not in the ISO earned from a mission, but the points. It looks like you're fighting 3 level 230 Dark Avengers, but really you're fighting all the other players. The reward for overcoming these trials will turn up in about 9 days. The Prologue is the only PvE in MPQ, these events are simply PvP where you can't take points off other players.

There are a few options for "fixing" the perception of risk:reward in these events. I posted something about a month ago about converting progression rewards into a kind of "store" where points can be cashed in for rewards during the event. This sort of change should help more players realise that the points earned are the real reward, not the ISO/Token/Boost (that's just a bonus).
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    The reward part of the risk:reward ratio is not in the ISO earned from a mission, but the points. It looks like you're fighting 3 level 230 Dark Avengers, but really you're fighting all the other players. The reward for overcoming these trials will turn up in about 9 days. The Prologue is the only PvE in MPQ, these events are simply PvP where you can't take points off other players.

There are a few options for "fixing" the perception of risk:reward in these events. I posted something about a month ago about converting progression rewards into a kind of "store" where points can be cashed in for rewards during the event. This sort of change should help more players realise that the points earned are the real reward, not the ISO/Token/Boost (that's just a bonus).

If people actually felt this way they would not complain about the stupid 20 ISO rewards. The ISO reward should scale with difficulty, I disagree with you completely.
  • Yes yes yes a billion times yes.

Having your covers health deplete to less than 10% and limp out of a hard won battle and seeing 20 ISO is insulting.

Often it makes me close the app and go do something else. This must be what the devs want. One less person playing...
  • I'm not sure why stunlocking guys who have no chance of hurting you is supposed to deserve more than 20 iso, and if you can't stunlock them you won't be beating them most of the time to begin with to complain about the reward.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fighting through the tedium of a 230 match using stunlock to win just so you can progress the story deserves much much more than 20 ISO.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fighting through the tedium of a 230 match using stunlock to win just so you can progress the story deserves much much more than 20 ISO.

You always get a better reward on the first kill than 20 ISO. After the first kill you are no longer progressing the story, you're grinding.
  • 20 ISO is pathetic regardless. 50 should be the minimum to start with. And here's how I think it should break down:

1-50 - 50 ISO

50-100 - 75 ISO

100-230 - 100 ISO

That would be far more fair of a distribution. It lets you level and buy more weenie covers if you so desire. But of course, they'd rather you spend cash.
  • The only fight that is tedious are the ones that involve Daken or Ares.

If you have Spiderman and you're not putting away the 230X3s relatively quickly, you're probably doing something wrong. You can literally faceroll the 230X3 goon fights since OBW is a buffed character for this, which ensures she always gets the espionage match bonus.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If you have Spiderman and you're not putting away the 230X3s relatively quickly, you're probably doing something wrong. You can literally faceroll the 230X3 goon fights since OBW is a buffed character for this, which ensures she always gets the espionage match bonus.

- Not everyone has every character.
    - Not everyone is 230+, many are but there are those who are not
    - Spiderman is going to be nerfed, so what then?
    - Buffed characters cannot be relied on since, again, not everyone has every character.

If we could trade covers, individually, or buy them directly, all of that would make sense. Sure, save your ISO/HP through events and storyline (or hell buy it if you have the spare cash), then pick up those specific needs. But yet there are times that you simply don't get what you need no matter how many tokens you use. That's the point. Balancing an event based on people having X character is no good. It means the old guard is fine, but any new players are utterly screwed until they luck into a cover that is deemed "essential" to the strategy of the day.

Sure, today OBW and Spidey rule the roost, but like any good, money making collectible game, they will fix that, and make something else desirable (see: BP). Then when everyone swarms, they will nerfbat that, and roll out another. And another. And another. Today's Black Lotus is tomorrow's Maze of Ith. There will always be rules that "funbalance" the game, but in reality, if they want to encourage players to stay, they need to stop locking them out of the only events to do once you've deadlocked on the SHIELD tourney, and once you've done the prologue.
  • Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:

This. The reward for playing these matches is primarily placement at the end of the tournament. If you don't think it's worth it don't fight those battles.
  • Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    Options
    Clint wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:

If people actually felt this way they would not complain about the stupid 20 ISO rewards. The ISO reward should scale with difficulty, I disagree with you completely.

Incorrect, if people actually felt this way they would still fight these battles knowing there was a good chance of getting 20 iso.

And of course plenty of people still fight these battles.
  • If you don't have Spiderman you should be far more worried about whether you can win these battles at all rather than complaining they don't give enough rewards.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    The devs have already in the past month added several changes to boost our iso- 30 iso PvP bonus, higher iso return on sold 2*s, inclusion of 1000 iso stages in pve events. I get that people want even more iso as they get stronger rosters, but do you want everyone to be able to assemble an 85 team overnight? I agree it would be nice to get high rewards for being able to complete challenging missions, but I don't see this ever happening unless they release a new solo chapter to the prologue, which I'm very much in favor of, btw.