PVE Scaling Feedback & New Test : Prodigal Sun

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    All right, time to test! Champed HB, nearly max Rhulk, and a 300 5* (so three 300+).

Loaner node 2: didn't see what levels I was using or against - but the loaner team almost wiped.
    Node 1: "trivial" - 155 Sniper, 156 Lieutenant, 156 soldier. A bit high, but sometimes they are to unlock subs.

Sub Node 1 trivial: 87/87/88 goons. (+9 after clear, 96/97/97)
    Sub Node 2 trivial: 101/101/102 (+10 after first clear, +11 after 2nd clear)
    Sub Node 3 trivial: 117/117/117 (+12 after a clear)
    Sub Node 4 trivial: 117/117/117 (+12 after a clear. First non-goon, had to deal with Sentry first - muscle tommy gun means -2000 for entire team here first time through.)
    Sub Node 5 trivial: 135/135/136 (+14 after a clear)
    Sub Node 6 trivial: 156/156/157 Pun (+16 after a clear)
    Sub Node 7 trivial: 180/180/181 Pun (+18/19 after a clear, this is the CP node)
    Essential 1 trivial (Ares): 139/139/140 (+14 after a clear)
    Essential 2 trivial (ock): 147/148/148 (+15 after a clear)
    Essential 3 trivial (Rhulk): 156/156/157 (+16 after a clear)

Didn't full clear - looks like that +number is going up after each clear?

Like: well, it stats at lower level. I guess I could throw my entire roster at the nodes and beat them instead of just the biggest characters. Even the hardest nodes are easier to start with - I could read the whole story if that was my plan.

Dislike: The scaling. I get it, this is what the devs have planned and want to do. I don't like it - it makes my PVE style of play (quick for ISO run only) impossible. You cannot run these quickly or easily, they take a lot more time. Why would I want to invest lots more time for the same rewards?!?

What I will do with this style of PVE: um....I guess start them occasionally if they have the guaranteed character in the progression (Like Sentry/Hulk)? Do the waves if all rewards are guaranteed after one clear? Maybe -maybe- continue to try to bracket snipe new releases, but only if I have to play a very short amount of time (1 hour or less?)

What I won't do with this style of PVE: pretty much play it. I used to lightly play PVE to get the ISO and to the 3* progression. This just takes to much time, I won't bother with it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    SolidQ wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:
    after 7 clears it gives no rewards
    Devs think we need lesser rewards icon_lol.gif
    ddfdd37881a2277a6759b4208f785652.png
    Yay. Guess I'll just be going for the green checkmark and then ignore the rest then.
    Sincerely hope this is Another mistake.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Didn't full clear - looks like that +number is going up after each clear?

I think the level increase is percentage based as it seems to go up roughly 10% a clear.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    SolidQ wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:
    after 7 clears it gives no rewards
    Devs think we need lesser rewards icon_lol.gif
    ddfdd37881a2277a6759b4208f785652.png
    Yay. Guess I'll just be going for the green checkmark and then ignore the rest then.

Didn't notice this at first glance, but went and checked - it's not only Rhulk, it's also the Punisher CP node that has four rewards.

Then I -will- run PVE, since you only get the last node scaled four times to get the CP. That would be the nicest change in this format - easy to get to the final CP node, and not so many runs to get that CP.
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Quebbster wrote:
    There is 2 nodes with 4 rewards. This one and last punisher node icon_e_smile.gif
    Nodes still continue scaling after 4 rewards icon_rolleyes.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    SolidQ wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    There is 2 nodes with 4 rewards. This one and last punisher node icon_e_smile.gif
    What 3 rewards were pulled from those nodes?
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    fmftint wrote:
    What 3 rewards were pulled from those nodes?
    1cp, 500 iso, 250 iso, Crit boost icon_rolleyes.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The rewards that were removed to make it a total of four were 100, 100 and 70 ISO. They have the once-standard set of 250 ISO, 500 ISO, critical boosts, and CP.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    SolidQ wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Dang. My OCD may not let me leave two nodes unplayed when I have reason to replay all the others...
  • fmftint
    The rewards that were removed to make it a total of four were 100, 100 and 70 ISO. They have the once-standard set of 250 ISO, 500 ISO, critical boosts, and CP.
    Basically -2300 iso over the term of the event
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol.
    Wonder if they claim that it was a "mistake" again.
    What kind of twisted mind does it take to remove rewards and leave the critical boosts in there - after we've been griping about those for months?
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    fmftint wrote:
    Basically -2300 iso over the term of the event

THE FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN! icon_evil.gif

PVE is officially DEAD icon_redface.gif
  • Square-Chopper
    Square-Chopper Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Played one clear. Scaling is slightly easier, yes, but still not fun in any way. Won't be bothering with the rest of the test.
  • AE_Fios
    AE_Fios Posts: 39
    Is the scaling more reasonable? Sure..

Would it be nice to play on your own schedule instead of trying to make clears at perfect time? Yes.

Here's the thing...the potential changes as a whole aren't positive. Now it's 6 clears and grinding instead of 3 clears and grinding. There are people out there whose entire lives revolve around this game, they're going to play optimally regardless of how you change the structure of the events. So you're simply punishing the people with jobs, friends, lives etc. for not playing 5+ hours a day in order to (maybe) compete for a top 10 prize.

The only positive I can pull for this is it might be easier reaching the CP reward, however it appears you keep pushing that number further and further back as well.

I'll just go back to PVP and DDQ only and let the crazies fight over top PVE event rewards. Fine by me.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank goodness they left the crit boost!!!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Lol.
    What kind of twisted mind does it take to remove rewards and leave the critical boosts in there - after we've been griping about those for months?

Was the last run of Prodigal Sun before the elimination of the 20iso reward? If so then maybe they forgot to update the reward structure on some nodes. Otherwise, this seems like a really irritating mistake. If I were actually going to play this even for real, I would be fairly upset. "Fortunately" I was already planning to play very little (if at all) because of the scaling/scoring test.
  • fmftint
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Lol.

Was the last run of Prodigal Sun before the elimination of the 20iso reward? If so then maybe they forgot to update the reward structure on some nodes. Otherwise, this seems like a really irritating mistake. If I were actually going to play this even for real, I would be fairly upset. "Fortunately" I was already planning to play very little (if at all) because of the scaling/scoring test.
    Possible, last Prodigal Sun event 1/21/16-1/28/16, 20 iso removed 2/4/16
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was hopping around extremely casual public alliances for fun during the off season. Didn't see much chat in those, apart from some week old comments expressing confusion over the lack of a countdown after hitting nodes, and wondering why everything was suddenly so hard.

I don't think the really casual players have figured out they were supposed to lose yet...
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    To be fair, I believe the rewards were removed to make it easier to get the CP. They're TRYING to find ways to make the playerbase not feel like they HAVE to grind, but instead of listening to what we want, they're removing 6 potential grinds out of the 72 people may feel compelled to do to get all the rewards.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I much prefer having a 75% chance to get the CP in 3 clears when there are 4 rewards to the 43% chance it is when there are 7 rewards. That seems like a good thing.

If people are missing the Iso from grinding the most difficult nodes in the sub an extra three times, I think you can probably get just as much or more from running a couple extra LR matches, which are actually probably going to be both easier and less boring. If people are upset that this disincentivizes them from competing for top rewards, well, it does the same for everyone else, too.

I want to see the game introduce more Iso as much as anyone, but this change is purely positive.