(Now 0 for 73) - Devs, is the system working as you intend?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Roll on end of season so I can leave my alliance and go back to a game of skill and actually be rewarded by putting in the effort that targeted EV training takes. VGC 2016 rules seem like fun for those like me who like to play the uber tier.
    You talking about Pokemon?

Sure am. I took a break when Black/White was released but managed to win a fair few online tournaments with Pearl, had ORAS for a while and have only dabbled online so far (MegaMence is awesome if allowed to set up) and am all set for the doubles arena.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Keegan wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    Why don't they just do this. For every 10 you open, it is a guaranteed 5*. You open one and then they have a counter saying 9 more legendary covers to go, congrats on your awesome hulk!

Because people are more psychologically motivated and rewarded by luck. The system that you described is psychologically perceived as work, and people don't like work ("Oh man, seven more pulls until I get a 5* after all the work I did for this token/CP, this isn't worth is, blah blah"). Chance feels better to our brains.
    So make it a 10-pack with at least 1 guaranteed 5*. I play lots of games with "epic" loot crate purchases that promise you at least 1 epic inside. Charge a 20% premium even... so 10 classics would be 240 CP, 10 latest would be 300 CP, 10 CW would be 360 CP. I would still go that route.
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Keegan wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    Why don't they just do this. For every 10 you open, it is a guaranteed 5*. You open one and then they have a counter saying 9 more legendary covers to go, congrats on your awesome hulk!

Because people are more psychologically motivated and rewarded by luck. The system that you described is psychologically perceived as work, and people don't like work ("Oh man, seven more pulls until I get a 5* after all the work I did for this token/CP, this isn't worth is, blah blah"). Chance feels better to our brains.
    So make it a 10-pack with at least 1 guaranteed 5*. I play lots of games with "epic" loot crate purchases that promise you at least 1 epic inside. Charge a 20% premium even... so 10 classics would be 240 CP, 10 latest would be 300 CP, 10 CW would be 360 CP. I would still go that route.

You've got my gamblers blood going now. Pay the 20% premium to be guaranteed a 5* or let it ride and hope I get at least one 5* out of every 10 pulls without the premium. Would be an interesting decision. Wouldn't work for Legendary Tokens though. Not sure why they don't convert everything into CPs other than to drive a bigger wedge between the whales that levelled up OML at the start and those that need to grind everything out now to get CP and hope the RNG gods look favorably on them.
  • Cunneryn
    Cunneryn Posts: 112
    Options
    Anothe LT, another 4 stars.

Ive gotten 2 5stars from token since christmas. Is that how it's supposed to work?

While u agree I didnt get all the available LT, i still consider having received quite a few: 22 champions, almost all PVE progression, daily ressuply, most of pve nodes, alliance purchases, some crash of titan... I didn't count how many I got, but only 2 5* were opened.

In the meantime today my friend open 7 LT he stacked waiting for IM and cap to be added to token and guess what... he got those 2 aforementionned 5* in only 7 tokens.... Not to mentioned the previous 10ish 5* he had previously eatned since chirtmas...

How many more do i need to open...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cunneryn wrote:

Ive gotten 2 5stars from token since christmas. Is that how it's supposed to work?

While u agree I didnt get all the available LT, i still consider having received quite a few: 22 champions, almost all PVE progression, daily ressuply, most of pve nodes, alliance purchases, some crash of titan... I didn't count how many I got, but only 2 5* were opened.

In the meantime today my friend open 7 LT he stacked waiting for IM and cap to be added to token and guess what... he got those 2 aforementionned 5* in only 7 tokens.... Not to mentioned the previous 10ish 5* he had previously eatned since chirtmas...

Must be bad luck. I only started playing about 85 days ago and I've gotten 8 5* covers. I have the problem on the other end that the drop rate is probably too high for a new player, especially when nothing indicates to a new play how a 5* jacks up the scaling so high.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hearthstone has a decent system for this. Every 40 card packs you are sure to get a legendary. Your chances go up with each pack as well and resets once you pull a legendary. Do not see why a similar system can't be implemented in MPQ.

This seems like the obvious approach for them to have, if people are lucky then they can get a 5* sooner, but if they are unlucky then they reach the counter limit and get one anyway, now that the draw rate for 5* is 15% then the most logical amount for the bad luck counter in mpq would be 10.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hearthstone has a decent system for this. Every 40 card packs you are sure to get a legendary. Your chances go up with each pack as well and resets once you pull a legendary. Do not see why a similar system can't be implemented in MPQ.

Proof?

I've been playing HS for almost a year and I've never heard about that. Statistically you should pull about 1 legendary in 40 packs but it's purely based on luck. I haven't seen a single official statement that would confirm that you will get 1 legendary every 40 packs.

Moreover, at the beginning of last expansion I have opened 100 packs. I've got my first legendary on 11th, then I went for about 60 without legendaries, before pulling two from last 30 packs.
  • Breadsticks
    Breadsticks Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    The stass I've heard for HS were about every 20-30 packs for a legend. That's been pretty much my experience. A legend about every 25 packs for me. I think the odds in this game for 3 and 4s seen seem pretty horrendous especially when you take into account how many different covers there are.

I really can't see why the covers aren't just generic skill points that could be added to any color on the character.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know if there is any such behind the scenes logic in Hearthstone, though I imagine it is possibly there. The other big thing Hearthstone has in mitigating this problem: dust. You can simply build the cars you want, given enough dust. And if you went though a forty pack without getting a legendary, you clearly would have enough to simply build what you wanted form disenchanting unwanted cards.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Hey All,

We are definitely looking into this and while we don't have any answers just yet, we are reviewing and will have a plan very very soon!

icon_captainamerica.png Cthulhu icon_captainamerica.png
    So do you have a plan now that you simply can't share yet, or does "very very soon" mean "it's more than six months away" for you?

And please don't tell me the raise to 15% was your plan.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    So do you have a plan now that you simply can't share yet, or does "very very soon" mean "it's more than six months away" for you?

And please don't tell me the raise to 15% was your plan.
    Maybe 15% was their stopgap measure, and they have bigger plans in mind that take more time to accomplish?

Clearance levels 8 through 10 could be part of the picture. I'd love to see some progress on those.

None of this is spoilers or hints that I heard something from someone who knows a guy, or anything like that. I'm not speaking as a moderator or anything like that even, just trying to take a slightly more optimistic view.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Optimistic was seeing cthulu's post and thinking they actually understood and were working on it. As Bow has pointed out, we're now 6 months past that. **** or get off the pot
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The plans the devs had 6 months ago are like the plans I had when I was in my 20s...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hopefully they figure this out within a few months. I have a 5/1/5 OML, and in around 3 months, I'm about to win an OML black as a login reward... that will go straight to the trash, because there's no way I'll ever luck into winning two more OML yellows between now and then.

So... thanks? icon_e_confused.gif And then I think I'll win a second OML black as a reward around 3 months later, which will also go straight to the trash... so.. thanks again? icon_e_confused.gif

Also I've already had to throw away my 6th SS Blue... but I didn't complain to CS about that... icon_e_geek.gif
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    broll wrote:
    Cunneryn wrote:

Must be bad luck. I only started playing about 85 days ago and I've gotten 8 5* covers. I have the problem on the other end that the drop rate is probably too high for a new player, especially when nothing indicates to a new play how a 5* jacks up the scaling so high.
    well - i'm on day 900, and I have 10 5*s (outside of the IM and Cap we won during Civil War). This includes the 3 i've gotten as daily rewards.

So yeah - chalk it up to bad luck, but i'm also going to chalk it up to the fact that RNG is a **** asshat of a deity, and playing a game that literally leaves progress up to chance is ****.