(Now 0 for 73) - Devs, is the system working as you intend?

Options

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they want a 10% distribution of 5* covers for LT's, then they should actually give each person a countdown on their LT page. Every 10th pull will guarantee you a random 5* from that pool. The other 9 pulls will give you a 4* and no chance at a 5*.

Then everyone pulls the same rate. It removes the random, luck, average, etc from the equation. You pull 10 LT's you are guaranteed 9- 4*, 1- 5*.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    billsrule7 wrote:
    Original Post

Amen, brother.

JVReal wrote:
    If they want a 10% distribution of 5* covers for LT's, then they should actually give each person a countdown on their LT page. Every 10th pull will guarantee you a random 5* from that pool. The other 9 pulls will give you a 4* and no chance at a 5*.

Then everyone pulls the same rate. It removes the random, luck, average, etc from the equation. You pull 10 LT's you are guaranteed 9- 4*, 1- 5*.

That's a good idea too.
    wirius wrote:
    For the devs, absolutely. The RNG for ultimate power inspires a passion and purchase from players that is almost rabid. For the players? Maybe you want something different. If you want something different propose to them an idea which will:

A. Make them more money
    B. Keep people playing and having something to work for

Because the truth is, after 70 tokens opened without a 5*, you've still played and pursued them. Even if you quit within a few more LT's without 5* pulls, you're already in such a small sample size that the 1 in 2000 players who leave will more than make up for the hundreds who stay. Sorry you personally got the short end of the stick, but in RNG, someone always will.

Oh right. Sometimes I forget these are the same devs that used to give a guaranteed 3* character with token packs (I think it was the 40 pack?), but then stopped doing that because "taking away that guaranteed 3* made people buy more packs". I still think they were missing something in that data, but hey, anything to sell more stuff, right?

On the money front, you can count me as one more person that hasn't given them a dime since they introduced this broke-**** 5* system.
  • Mercurywolf
    Options
    billsrule7 wrote:
    So here’s an easy solution: have Legendary Tokens begin at a 10% pull rate for 5*’s and after each unsuccessful 5* pull, the odds of opening a 5* increase by 3%. It resets then at 10% once you open a 5*.  This would be a SIMPLE fix, and make a lot of players feel much better about the Legendary System. You could add this code into the game within 48 hours if you wanted to.

Anytime I see anyone say something would be a "simple" fix, I always wonder if they have ever actually worked with computer coding. I've done limited coding, as well as extensive Macro coding, and let me go ahead and say that nothing is ever a "simple" fix, especially when it is changing how a whole system would operate. You're talking about switching a system from a simple RNG system to a Individual-based Progessive-Probability system. Each client of the game would have to monitor that particular username/device's pull-rate of 4* and 5*, and assign a value to the "dice roll". The bonus would increase for each non-5* pulled, and then would reset to 10%. That is multiple if-then-else statements of code right there, which could easily break something somewhere else.

I'm presuming the current RNG system generates a number which corresponds to a specific hero/cover. i.e. the system Rolls 172 which corresponds to Purple Star Lord, or 245 which Corresponds to OML Red, and so on. The problem with adding a progressive probability is that you will more than likely see more covers of whatever the lowest five star on the table is.

A system like what you propose would first have to determine the tier, and then roll on separate tables. I.e. first roll generates a number, say 1-90 for 4*, 91 and above, 5*. Then it would have to generate a 2nd roll to determine color/hero.

My point with this is that while I, as a player of the game, would certainly be in favor of this type of system as it would benefit me greatly, (I loved when WoW introduced it since I kept hitting gold on their Bonus Roll tokens), it is not a SIMPLE thing to add.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pongie wrote:
    I have seen some "top" players post their results from LT pulls and they seem to be incredibly lucky by getting a near 25-33% 5* pull rate
    Might have been just that day but damn...I don't hear anybody else getting that lucky.

I have a theory about this. The vets and whales that open heaps of tokens immediately after a character release are close to, if not opening the majority of token pool. Eg they open 70 tokens, chances are its 70 out of 100 tokens being opening at the time. Therefore they get a more even distribution. For the rest who are opening 70 tokens over an extended period, this is just a fraction of how many tokens being opened. It could be in the thousands if not more. In this case the distribution is more random.
    right ... like what is happening is that it's not necessarily 10% of YOUR tokens. It's 10% of ALL tokens, and if the whales are opening them all at once, then there's none left for the rest of us.

The flaw in my thinking is that system would imply that there's a fixed number of 5* tokens and that the whales are the ones opening them, rather than there being a straight 10% chance of any and every LT being a 5* (which is the claim)
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Another major problem is the price gap between "luck" and "guaranteed."

20 CP for a draw at OML, but 720! to outright buy one (assuming you even have that first cover). That's 36 tokens, meaning you are missing out on (at the bare minimum) 35k ISO, but probably more when you consider some of those draws will be needed covers, go to champs, etc.

I would support adding a legends pack for something like 240 CP, that contains 10 covers, including 1 guaranteed 5*. I would pay a 20% premium to take some blind chance out of the equation.
  • jobob
    Options
    billsrule7 wrote:
    So here’s an easy solution: have Legendary Tokens begin at a 10% pull rate for 5*’s and after each unsuccessful 5* pull, the odds of opening a 5* increase by 3%. It resets then at 10% once you open a 5*.  This would be a SIMPLE fix, and make a lot of players feel much better about the Legendary System. You could add this code into the game within 48 hours if you wanted to.

Anytime I see anyone say something would be a "simple" fix, I always wonder if they have ever actually worked with computer coding. I've done limited coding, as well as extensive Macro coding, and let me go ahead and say that nothing is ever a "simple" fix, especially when it is changing how a whole system would operate. You're talking about switching a system from a simple RNG system to a Individual-based Progessive-Probability system. Each client of the game would have to monitor that particular username/device's pull-rate of 4* and 5*, and assign a value to the "dice roll". The bonus would increase for each non-5* pulled, and then would reset to 10%. That is multiple if-then-else statements of code right there, which could easily break something somewhere else.

I'm presuming the current RNG system generates a number which corresponds to a specific hero/cover. i.e. the system Rolls 172 which corresponds to Purple Star Lord, or 245 which Corresponds to OML Red, and so on. The problem with adding a progressive probability is that you will more than likely see more covers of whatever the lowest five star on the table is.

A system like what you propose would first have to determine the tier, and then roll on separate tables. I.e. first roll generates a number, say 1-90 for 4*, 91 and above, 5*. Then it would have to generate a 2nd roll to determine color/hero.

My point with this is that while I, as a player of the game, would certainly be in favor of this type of system as it would benefit me greatly, (I loved when WoW introduced it since I kept hitting gold on their Bonus Roll tokens), it is not a SIMPLE thing to add.
    I minored in programming in college, so I know how things that seem "simple" aren't... But I also know that it can be done, and, frankly, it is what these people do for a living. On the grand scheme of things, it isn't that complex.

Further, what you are talking about is not THAT far off from the vaults, which manage to pick a certain # of 4*, 3*, and so on for each user. I mean, essentially it's just a table populated with a certain number from each tier, so that each draw increases your chances of drawing from the highest tier. Just use the same system to populate a 10-token "vault" (i.e. hidden table) that contains a 5, and 9 4s, and it would look no different to the user than what you are talking about doing.

Or... Hell, just give us a legendary vault, 100 covers with 10 random 5* that we can see and pull from, and, if necessary, reset for something like 200 CP.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Another major problem is the price gap between "luck" and "guaranteed."

20 CP for a draw at OML, but 720! to outright buy one (assuming you even have that first cover). That's 36 tokens, meaning you are missing out on (at the bare minimum) 35k ISO, but probably more when you consider some of those draws will be needed covers, go to champs, etc.

I would support adding a legends pack for something like 240 CP, that contains 10 covers, including 1 guaranteed 5*. I would pay a 20% premium to take some blind chance out of the equation.

720 is too much cp. Without buying, you can win it fastest at approximately once every two months. So even that way, you would only win a guaranteed 5* cover just six times per year. So it would take around two years to guaranteed build up a 5*, after you've already won the first three covers, one of each color.

And even if you buy it, it's very slow! Say you join a buyer's club and spend $100. Even that will just give you 140 cp. $100 for less than 1/5th of the cp needed to guarantee a 5* cover!!!! That's crazy! And the $100 gets you the shot at some tokens (mostly useless), or around 1/4th of the ISO needed to champion a 4* character. That's crazy as well!!!! What's going on????
  • billsrule7 wrote:

To add on to this, I would love to see something like this for heroic and event tokens as well. It's frustrating to save up all your event tokens at the end of a pve event and get back to back moonstone / daken / bullseye covers. Even a slight increased chance to get 3* covers would be more encouraging to vets for iso (and/or championing 3 stars) and help out transitioning players even more.
  • Mercurywolf
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    I minored in programming in college, so I know how things that seem "simple" aren't... But I also know that it can be done, and, frankly, it is what these people do for a living. On the grand scheme of things, it isn't that complex.

Further, what you are talking about is not THAT far off from the vaults, which manage to pick a certain # of 4*, 3*, and so on for each user. I mean, essentially it's just a table populated with a certain number from each tier, so that each draw increases your chances of drawing from the highest tier. Just use the same system to populate a 10-token "vault" (i.e. hidden table) that contains a 5, and 9 4s, and it would look no different to the user than what you are talking about doing.

Or... Hell, just give us a legendary vault, 100 covers with 10 random 5* that we can see and pull from, and, if necessary, reset for something like 200 CP.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, but I think it's more complex than you think it is. For one, you have to update the game code for 3 separate platforms: IOS, Android, and Steam. It's more than writing in several lines of code. The system I was talking about was a very simplified example to illustrate what the original poster was asking for. Vaults are a progressive-probability system, I agree, but they are also more complex in that you have to code both the GUI, the Artwork of the covers, and the events that they are tied to. They are a fantastic thing, and I like seeing more of them, but they aren't simple code that anybody can write. It takes time.

And I agree, it is what their job is. To develop the game. Which means looking at what is BEST for the long-term health of the game. Allowing a huge load of 5* to suddenly enter the game because people are dissatisfied could be disastrous because of power-creep. It could continuously force them to keep creating new and more powerful 5* characters to stand up to the ones before. Sooner rather than later there would be 6* and 7* and god-forbid 8* just so that people want the shiny new thing that is better than what they currently have. Many people already want the devs to stop releasing so many characters so quickly.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing is the luck based on ingame random pulls.

Another problem is the Customer Service using that random function when deciding who to compensate and who to not. Or even worse, they are discriminating.

Unfortunately, I got the not-compensating end 2 times while other players got a cover of choice or other compensation, while I got nothing.
  • Wooodd
    Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thought I would offer up my 5 star.png status as someone who is more or less on par with the 10% pull rate.

I have opened around 120 token_legendary.png 's since their inception (not an exact figure as I haven't been counting) and to date have 12 5 star.png covers, which comprise of:

icon_wolverine.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.pngredflag.pngredflag.pngredflag.png
    icon_jeangrey.pngredflag.pngredflag.png
    icon_silversurfer.pngblackflag.pngblueflag.pngredflag.png
    icon_spiderman.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.png

That being said these covers seem to drop in quick succession with a large gap between each 5 star.png flurry. There was a point wherein I popped 40 ish token_legendary.png between 5 star.png 's.
    billsrule7 wrote:
    OP

You said that CS gave you a 5 star.png after hitting 0/40 following your complaint, did they give you a choice of cover or a random one? Just curious because I wouldn't have thought they would have given you one.

Despite my good luck (relative to yours) with 5 star.png pulls, I have yet to pull a single 4 star.png from an token_heroic.png , of which I have opened tons. Overall there is around a 5% chance of pulling a 4 star.png . I have pulled 4 star.png 's from token_event.png 's though.

If CS gave you a free 5 star.png cover at 0/40 on 10% odds, surely I would be entitled to a few 4 star.png covers on the same premise (being 0/ however many token_heroic.png 262 days nets you over 5% odds).

Whilst I sympathize with your recent poor 5 star.png luck is it fair that you have been gifted a free icon_wolverine.pngyellowflag.png (assuming you could choose your cover) whilst the rest of the player-base have not? Whilst RNG is not a fair way to distribute top end rewards, it is the system we all have to work with and unless it is changed it should be adhered to, particularly by CS. For them to give away a free cover to someone who's experience has not matched the listed odds on tokens seems like opening quite a can of worms to me.
  • jobob
    Options
    Wooodd wrote:
    Whilst I sympathize with your recent poor 5 star.png luck is it fair that you have been gifted a free icon_wolverine.pngyellowflag.png (assuming you could choose your cover) whilst the rest of the player-base have not? Whilst RNG is not a fair way to distribute top end rewards, it is the system we all have to work with and unless it is changed it should be adhered to, particularly by CS. For them to give away a free cover to someone who's experience has not matched the listed odds on tokens seems like opening quite a can of worms to me.
    It may be a can of worms... but again, I have serious questions about how random the system actually is. You see too many streaks that are so statistically improbable, that it casts doubt on the system IMO.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do feel bad that I was never compensated a free 5* for my 0/70 streak. When the streak ended, it was too late. Oh well.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:
    It may be a can of worms... but again, I have serious questions about how random the system actually is. You see too many streaks that are so statistically improbable, that it casts doubt on the system IMO.

But every single string of 40 pulls, no matter what it is, is just as improbable as a string of no 5*s. Most likely it's confirmation bias, because people aren't on here clamoring to comment on their 3-6 5* pulls from 40 tokens.

edit: fixed typo
  • Wooodd
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    I have serious questions about how random the system actually is. You see too many streaks that are so statistically improbable, that it casts doubt on the system IMO.

This is a part of peoples argument that I fail to understand, perhaps I'm missing something.

Each pull of a token_legendary.png is independent of all other pulls. As such hitting a streak of the same cover over and over has the same odds as hitting a different cover every time (discounting the obvious differences in rarity odds that it).

As disheartening as it his to hit a "loosing" streak, however long it may run for, it doesn't highlight any kind of flaw in the system as each pull is independent.
  • Wooodd
    Options
    Tarheelmax wrote:

But every single string of 40 pulls, no matter what it is, is just as improbable as a string of no 5*s. Most likely it's confirmation bias, because people aren't on here clamoring to comment on their 3-6 5* pulls from 40 tokens.

Lol..

"Fix your tinykitty sheet D3....

I have just pulled 7 OML covers from 9 Tokens, this is nowhere near 3.3%

****... I'm gunna have to quit
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wooodd wrote:
    As disheartening as it his to hit a "loosing" streak, however long it may run for, it doesn't highlight any kind of flaw in the system as each pull is independent.
    Let me try this: if you pulled a million LTs and got no 5*s, would you believe your odds of getting one isn't really 10% on each pull? Or would you still believe that there's no flaw in the system because each pull is independent? If it's the latter, please, just don't answer, because I don't want to get **** banned.
  • Wooodd
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:
    Let me try this: if you pulled a million LTs and got no 5*s, would you believe your odds of getting one isn't really 10% on each pull? Or would you still believe that there's no flaw in the system because each pull is independent? If it's the latter, please, just don't answer, because I don't want to get tinykitty banned.

That's not even a question I can answer without coming across like an ****.

I'm at the 10% range so if I reply that statistically you could pull 10 million and never hit one as each pull is its own gamble with its own statistics applied then I'll be hit with the "easy for you to say with your perfect 10% pull rate" responses.

However if I answered with a "by that point something fishy must be going on" type reply then I'm a hypocrite.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tarheelmax wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:

edit: fixed typo
    that's simply not true. RNG is not as random as it seems, because the multitude of stories of people pulling the exact same token 3, 4, 5 times in a row has to be statistically impossible (or improbable to a nearly unmeasurable degree).

I'll ignore the recent screenshots of the person who drew four 5* JG greens in a row, because that's too crazy to comprehend and instead use a more common example. In cashing in multiple DDQ tokens, I've drawn 4 sets of healthpacks consecutively. Now, even given that each draw from the Vault increases the chance that i'll draw healthpacks slightly, what is the statistical probability that I'll actually draw 4 in a row?

Now, what's the statistical probability that i'll do it again? (because I have - at least three times, to be exact, and that's not counting the times i'll draw 3-5 sets of healthpacks while cashing in 10-20 tokens at a time)

I will admit 100% that I hate math with a passion, so maybe the odds are higher than I think. But I doubt it. I'm also not saying the solution is to rig the system so that you can't draw two of the same tokens consecutively, but it does just look like the system isn't even random but that for whatever reason, these crazy streaks are possible. To me, that's almost worse, because there's an entire class of player that will never be able to climb out of the hole that "random" forces them into (as evidenced by the fact that I have more Dumpster Fire Hulk covers than I have of Iceman and JG combined).
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:
    Let me try this: if you pulled a million LTs and got no 5*s, would you believe your odds of getting one isn't really 10% on each pull? Or would you still believe that there's no flaw in the system because each pull is independent? If it's the latter, please, just don't answer, because I don't want to get tinykitty banned.

Yeah, if you literally pulled 1 million LTs and got none, then it would be reasonable to believe the odds aren't really 10%. But that is no where near anything that we are talking about. 40 is not the same thing as 1,000,000.

What I can tell you is that no matter what exact string of characters you pulled in your 1,000,000. It's just as improbable as pulling 1,000,000 OMLs in a row or 1,000,000 Chulks in a row. (That's probably not 100% accurate since 4*s and 5*s have different odds, but it's close).