Civil war - Which side will you choose?

Options
atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
There was a recent MPQ survey which asked this question.

"Which side will you choose? Capt America or Iron Man?"

That got me thinking that MPQ may have a special PVE for the tie-in to Civil War.

Maybe we get to choose sides, and we will play selected paths depending on our choices. The characters will also be lock out (e.g. if we choose Iron Man, Scarlet Witch will be locked out)

So for the fun of it, I will like to know the preference of the forummites.

Captain America vs Iron Man!

Fights on!
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Huh, maybe that's why they fixed Iron Man M40. So the side you choose isn't so obvious =P
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It might also be useful to add a small summary of how exactly the two sides of thought differ. I'm not a comic reader, and generally avoid trailers, so all I know about the conflict is pretty much just Iron Man and Captain giving stink eyes to each other. A good non-spolier-y basic summary would be cool.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:
    It might also be useful to add a small summary of how exactly the two sides of thought differ. I'm not a comic reader, and generally avoid trailers, so all I know about the conflict is pretty much just Iron Man and Captain giving stink eyes to each other. A good non-spolier-y basic summary would be cool.

If I'm reading what we know about the movies correctly (because it's going to be different from the comic books), it's basically that Cap thinks it should be up to the heroes to be able to determine when the world needs their help, and Tony thinks there should be some government intervention involved. I think we have every character involved in the movie in the game except for Winter Soldier, whom I'd expect to see added as a 4 star at some point in the next month.
  • JordanFromJersey
    JordanFromJersey Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Civil War (comics): Cap
    Hickman's Avengers/Infinity-Secret Wars: Tony
    Civil War (movie): Unsure.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:

Well, in the comics, it starts with a tragedy that is caused by a group of superheroes taking on a group of supervillains. The country becomes outraged and demands action take place. Tony Stark eventually proposes the Superhuman Registration Act, a database every person with powers will have to register for, that will give the government full knowledge of a superperson's name, aliases, and powers. It also requires them to receive training on using their powers more responsibly, and to act on behalf of the government for various problems that arise.

Captain America comes down strongly against this act, believing it violates their basic rights, and that knowledge of a superheroes identity can cause major issues to their families if people intending them harm find out who they are.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't register for the act is considered a criminal and is put into a special prison in the Negative Zone, and this includes heroes who opt not to register, and the people who DO register are forced by the government to hunt them down.

Hope that's non-spoiler-y. I don't know if the movie will be the same.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Iron man. Always iron man.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Oh, and anyone who doesn't register for the act is considered a criminal and is put into a special prison in the Negative Zone, and this includes heroes who opt not to register, and the people who DO register are forced by the government to hunt them down.

See, that right there is why the comic was so awful.
    You could understand both points of view until the Pro Registration side decided to set up concentration camps in an alternate dimension to house dissidents 8I
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm hoping there will be a Civil War event, be it PVE, PVP, or both. I suspect it'd follow the comics story more than the cinematic one and that's A-OK with me. Either way, I'll bet a commandpoints.png that we'll have a playable Winter Soldier character soon.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it would be cool if it were a draft type situation: You pick Cap Or Iron Man and fight a match for the draft pick. If you lose the computer selects and locks out a random character, if you win you pick. Every pick you fight a match to see who gets to select from the remaining pool first.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Roundheads, they had much better ideals than the Cavaliers and wanted to hand much more power to the people and to stop the church becoming a totalitarian power.
  • MNKromann
    MNKromann Posts: 31
    Options
    I think we have every character involved in the movie in the game except for Winter Soldier, whom I'd expect to see added as a 4 star at some point in the next month.

BJOCxpG.gif?noredirect
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was gonna go with Batman but everyone is always picking him. I'm just gonna mix it up and take Superman's side.

Hey wait a minute, this isn't batman v Superman thread? Doh iron man v capt America. Mty bad! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    The Roundheads, they had much better ideals than the Cavaliers and wanted to hand much more power to the people and to stop the church becoming a totalitarian power.

Ugh this right here is why I fell out of love with secondary school.
    You got to learn the basics, the sanitised versions of history in primary school like the Tudors and Stewarts, vikings, war of the roses and all that good stuff. Then you get to secondary school and it's all "Okay, settle in kids. you're going to spend the next 5 years learning about the first and second world wars."

But staying on topic...that newest trailer for Civil War showed what I'm guessing to be The Raft, and if you're not familiar with that, that's Shield's underwater prison used to house super villains for possible rehabilitation.
    It's quite possible that's going to be Stark's plan for the members of Team Cap that don't go to the "correct" side.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

See, that right there is why the comic was so awful.
    You could understand both points of view until the Pro Registration side decided to set up concentration camps in an alternate dimension to house dissidents 8I

Millar ideas are usually quite good but he usually has problems to develop those ideas and specially to end those comic events. And then when he does well, like Kick-**** he doesnt know when to stop (kick **** 2 is terrible, I didn't feel I needed to read the third one).

Civil war comic: Caps
    Civil war movie: Still undecided but probably Caps
    New Civil war comic: This one is hard, I still need to see how this save the future works. It looks like it is going to be harder to decide than the old one. Odd that it looks like Captain Marvel will be up and front, and Cap is in the back.

PS: Cloning Thor is something Reed would never do, I don't know how Millar thought about that :S
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    New Civil war comic: This one is hard, I still need to see how this save the future works. It looks like it is going to be harder to decide than the old one. Odd that it looks like Captain Marvel will be up and front, and Cap is in the back.

Mind giving me a run down on the premise of the new comic? I've slapped down a pre-order for it and I'm alreadys stuck on which side to choose based on characters. I love me some Jane Foster, but I also love me some Carol Danvers. Both sides has characters I like.

What's the central conflict?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:

Mind giving me a run down on the premise of the new comic? I've slapped down a pre-order for it and I'm alreadys stuck on which side to choose based on characters. I love me some Jane Foster, but I also love me some Carol Danvers. Both sides has characters I like.

What's the central conflict?

It is still quite secret, but it looks like the conflict is about someone or something that can see the future and something big happening in the future with big repercussions. Then some heroes want to chang the future so that event doesn't happen and the other team wants to let the future unfold without changes.

This is a link with the two images (change the future - protect the future), and teams on each side.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/03/03/m ... er-teasers
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In the comics: No one. Both sides were portrayed as giant **** (a Millar staple), but the majority of books used the Pro-Reg side as a stand in for Bush administration/policies and seemed to be in a contest of who could make them look worse. The idea that anonymously beating up people is somehow a right is dumb though and never stressed enough. There really could have been something interesting here, but it was thrown out in the first 10 pages or so when Maria Hill tried to arrest Cap for a law that hadn't been passed yet. And just kept getting worse.

Upcoming movie: Well, since it's Caps movie, I imagine they'll give him the "better" argument or have Tony's side do something slightly bad to make Cap's side the better one.

Civil War 2: If the precog rumor is true, Iron Man. But the solicits make it sound like they're going to demonize Tony's side in #2.

So, I pick Iron Man just because I like Iron Man.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think most people missed the point.

The comics were not about whether heroes had the right to beat people up anonymously.

It was about whether they had the right to decide how to use their powers or whether they should simply register and be told how to use their powers and when.

I think this idea is what the film will run with, and it has arguments on both sides.

I am and always will be pro Cap. Never liked Tony in comics or films as he comes across as an arrogant tool though he is slightly more likeable in comics as he is far more flawed and humble than the movie version.

Side question I wonder how many people would still pick iron man if RDJ had not been picked to portray him?
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If it was the comics i'd pick Cap's side but going by what the trailers show i'd go with Iron Man in the film.

I didn't like the books though, because it's always stupid to me when lifelong friends become enemies by a writers whim.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Side question I wonder how many people would still pick iron man if RDJ had not been picked to portray him?

Interesting Capt is my fave character, but I have chosen Ironman over cap in civil war (movie).

Some form of regulation is essential. You could argue about the level of control, but there must be some form of control and accountability (in real life, not comic life).

Just look at the sub prime crisis. Clear case in which true capitalism with no control, and see the harm it does.

Let me direct your question back at you... How much of what you like about the anti registration stand is due to the character, capt, supporting it¿