Caltrops

Options
13»

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,061 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    it would be nice if Daredevil's Radar Sense would take out Trap tiles. I mean, he's blind, and is using his heightened extra-sensory abilities to eliminate the dangers he can't see.... just like we can't see the trap tiles. it makes too much sense, and it would also buff him and raise him a little in the 3* ranks I think (since he is probably a little below average as is).

Yes please!

I'd be satisfied if it just made them visible with an additional change that visible trap tiles could be matched with no damage (ie you successfully avoided it since you saw it) but the opponent could still match them for damage against you (as they can now).

Then he'd be a nice counter to Elecktra/Dr Doom/Nick Fury etc.

KGB
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    This. Caltrops just went from being my most hated power in the game to one I like to face because it's essentially a worthless move... well, until the next time I see it paired with the Maggia Muscle's "Threaten" power. (Which, btw, gets my vote now for most OP ability in the game).

You mean "thanks for the free strike tiles?"

I don't mind Muscle, because I know I can yoink the strike tiles if I bring a special tile stealer. Elektra, Shulk, Moonstone, Ant-Man, heck, even Loki make Muscle a friend instead of an enemy.

Yeah, but at high level they can get them out very quickly and do a lot of damage before you can match them or get enough AP for a steal. Shulk is 9 AP just to take 2 of them. Moonstone is 9 AP for 3, but she can't take many punches. Elektra gets 2 or 3 for 7... but the return diminshes somewhat because you have a chance from stealing the weak ones from there on out. And even after stealing, they keep coming and you have to get the AP again (which can be tough if the goons are destroying all the blue/yellow tiles if you are going the Shulk or AM route).

Ant-Man I do like a lot against them, since he can steal up to 15 tiles and it lasts 5 turns after casting. Loki is probably the best, because he makes them protect tiles of the same power, effectively negating the next however many you steal, PLUS he has the cheap pink board shuffle to make them easier to match away.

Also, it's not beating those strike tiles that are the problem... it's the HP they tend to eat up along the way if you get a bad board.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Also, it's not beating those strike tiles that are the problem... it's the HP they tend to eat up along the way if you get a bad board.

Bad luck can get you every time, but it's easy to counter Muscle, because there are powers and abilities designed to do so: tile steal, overwrite before countdown (I'm looking at you, Steve Rogers), stun, to name a few. And sometimes you can just let Threaten activate -- if there's no board mover, or if you can see that the disappearing countdown tile won't trigger a match (or worse, a cascade), there's no immediate harm.

Caltrops are annoying because there is no direct counter besides having the correct covers for Quake. Tile overwrite such as Hailstorm, Coercive Field, or Bird Strike might work, but you'll never know, since traps aren't visible.

I'll take a wave of Muscle over a wave of Kishu any day.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pretty sure the most f'ed up goon node would include a kishu, a muscle, and whichever symbiote spams attacks. that would just suck. (I don't count ultron sentries as goons)
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It will be nice when I have a champ'd quake with 5 yellows.. Then I can take on as many caltrops as I like, since they'll only do 1 damage each! Can't wait!
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    It will be nice when I have a champ'd quake with 5 yellows.. Then I can take on as many caltrops as I like, since they'll only do 1 damage each! Can't wait!

Yep, until they're scaled to level 450 and doing ridiculous amounts more than she deflects anyway! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JackTenrec wrote:
    The only good thing about Caltrops is the momentary satisfaction you get when you finally get enough AP to use Penance Stare.

I had a 21k Penance Stare just now, sadly the Kishu only had about 1k left. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Smudge wrote:
    Yep, until they're scaled to level 450 and doing ridiculous amounts more than she deflects anyway! icon_e_wink.gif

If they are scaled to 450 you probably have a strong enough line-up to clear them. I mean, if you've got a champed Quake, you have a VERY well developed roster and should be able to clear anything.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JackTenrec wrote:
    jobob wrote:

Bad luck can get you every time, but it's easy to counter Muscle, because there are powers and abilities designed to do so: tile steal, overwrite before countdown (I'm looking at you, Steve Rogers), stun, to name a few. And sometimes you can just let Threaten activate -- if there's no board mover, or if you can see that the disappearing countdown tile won't trigger a match (or worse, a cascade), there's no immediate harm.

Caltrops are annoying because there is no direct counter besides having the correct covers for Quake. Tile overwrite such as Hailstorm, Coercive Field, or Bird Strike might work, but you'll never know, since traps aren't visible.
    I don't think it was clear, but I was talking about threaten being more OP than Kishu for me now that I have 5 yellow Daisies.

Also my original comment about Threaten was how much it sucks combined with Caltrops.
    I'll take a wave of Muscle over a wave of Kishu any day.
    Oh I agree. Well, I disagree now that I can bring Quake, but otherwise, I agree.
  • Khaoz77
    Khaoz77 Posts: 16
    Options
    Agree with the OP... You can't solve a issue like this by forcing to use a single 4* character.