Comments

• Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I loathe caltrops, btw
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It hadn't even crossed my mind to try using Spidey on those nodes. So thanks for that tip!
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smudge wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:
    Best part about caltrops is when the AI Wolverine sets them off. Because a free Adamantium Slash every 3 or 4 turns wasn't enough.

I'm pretty sure they changed it to where the AI matching it causes no damage but still destroys the trap. That has been my experience so far anyway. Of course, I usually just create a monster cascade by accident that blows up 4-5 of them...

I'm sure I have taken caltrops damage that wasn't caused by a move or cascade on my turn in this latest pve, so if they don't take them from a direct move they still set them off if they get one of their obligatory flukey cascades.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Crowl wrote:
    Smudge wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:
    Best part about caltrops is when the AI Wolverine sets them off. Because a free Adamantium Slash every 3 or 4 turns wasn't enough.

I'm pretty sure they changed it to where the AI matching it causes no damage but still destroys the trap. That has been my experience so far anyway. Of course, I usually just create a monster cascade by accident that blows up 4-5 of them...

I'm sure I have taken caltrops damage that wasn't caused by a move or cascade on my turn in this latest pve, so if they don't take them from a direct move they still set them off if they get one of their obligatory flukey cascades.

I would try to keep track of that kind of thing. I played a round today where Wolverine made a move that set off a trap on a match 3, cascaded into another match 3, then cleared the top row on a match 4 and set off 2 more caltrops in that row. I watched all of my health - the character in front (GSBW) took all of the match damage, but Caltrops did not proc any damage to GSBW or any of the other characters. This is the second time I've noticed this today alone. The first run of EotS, it most certainly did do damage to our teams when they matched it, but I haven't seen it in subsequent runs.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Crowl wrote:
    Smudge wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

Actually, i don't think they set off their own, so an enemy cascade (in this, and only this --more or less--context) is actually a good thing.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Based on the caltrops rage every time this event rolls around, I'm guessing Quake will be everyone's favorite character next run when people have a few covers on her.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Caltrops are effing evil, but my single biggest problem with them, and I think this goes for all trap tiles, is that they are not IMMEDIATELY disarmed when the person who set them dies. So if I match a trap and the match damage kills the Kishu, he dies THEN the trap goes off and I still take damage.

This makes no sense to me.

Bug? Or design decision I fundamentally disagree with?
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Caltrops is not op. I would much rather face 2 Caltrops than 1 adam slash. The problem are the feeders, not the skill itself.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

Tell me how do you negate a 1700+ AoE Caltrops with Spidey or Cage?

You don't. You use someone like Storm or Magneto instead. Anyone who spams visible tiles on all colors will destroy traps.

If you know what you're getting into, you can counter it. It may not be the team you want to use, but it's going to be more effective than throwing your best team in the meat grinder and wasting 3 health packs a round.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Caltrops are effing evil, but my single biggest problem with them, and I think this goes for all trap tiles, is that they are not IMMEDIATELY disarmed when the person who set them dies. So if I match a trap and the match damage kills the Kishu, he dies THEN the trap goes off and I still take damage.

This makes no sense to me.

Bug? Or design decision I fundamentally disagree with?

I see no reason why a metal object should disappear just because the person who threw it died.

Caltrops are pointy metal objects. Metal is persistent.

Drevnosti_RG_v3_ill130c_-_Caltrop.jpg

That they disappear at all makes me think these are spooky black magic caltops.

Literally, infernal. icon_twisted.gif

PS:
    caltrops_by_ak_is_harmless-dnhqw3.jpg

Don't....try to bring logic to this. That's a thread you just don't want to pull in this game.

This is a matter of game mechanics and not rooted in reality whatsoever.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I see no reason why a metal object should disappear just because the person who threw it died.

Caltrops are pointy metal objects. Metal is persistent.

Well, if you're going to get all rational, why do all three heroes suffer from caltrops when only one of them is responsible for making the match?

Are they... boomy caltrops?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Tell me how do you negate a 1700+ AoE Caltrops with Spidey or Cage?
    You don't. You use someone like Storm or Magneto instead. Anyone who spams visible tiles on all colors will destroy traps.

If you know what you're getting into, you can counter it. It may not be the team you want to use, but it's going to be more effective than throwing your best team in the meat grinder and wasting 3 health packs a round.
    For wave battles, 3* Bullseye can have this effect too. If the board is flooded with strike tiles, you have a good idea of where the traps are and usually have safe moves to make until you down the Kishu.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As far as the most OP goon power, I still think the prize goes to the Muscle's "Threaten." If that goes off more than once, you've got huge problems.

Caltrops still suck, though. Gotta love it when Professor X sets them off...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    it would be nice if Daredevil's Radar Sense would take out Trap tiles. I mean, he's blind, and is using his heightened extra-sensory abilities to eliminate the dangers he can't see.... just like we can't see the trap tiles. it makes too much sense, and it would also buff him and raise him a little in the 3* ranks I think (since he is probably a little below average as is).

In general, with all the character counters they've created, it is surprising they haven't created a direct trap counter yet, one that either makes them visible or otherwise eliminates them.
  • Nate7671
    Nate7671 Posts: 47
    Options
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    it would be nice if Daredevil's Radar Sense would take out Trap tiles. I mean, he's blind, and is using his heightened extra-sensory abilities to eliminate the dangers he can't see.... just like we can't see the trap tiles. it makes too much sense, and it would also buff him and raise him a little in the 3* ranks I think (since he is probably a little below average as is).

In general, with all the character counters they've created, it is surprising they haven't created a direct trap counter yet, one that either makes them visible or otherwise eliminates them.

That would be a super cool idea for a passive power on a character - one that lets you see the enemy traps - Caltrops / Doom / Daredevil etc would all be made significantly less effective. Now just to figure out which toon deserves that kind of power. I would have though Daredevil would be the best or Spidey but alas they are full up already.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nate7671 wrote:
    That would be a super cool idea for a passive power on a character - one that lets you see the enemy traps - Caltrops / Doom / Daredevil etc would all be made significantly less effective. Now just to figure out which toon deserves that kind of power. I would have though Daredevil would be the best or Spidey but alas they are full up already.
    There's always room to add passives on top of actives.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    jackstar0 wrote:
    Is it hyperbolic to label them as the most OP power in the game?

Sure. They are meant to encourage you to play a defence tile spammer like Spidey to negate them.

But people don't adapt and instead get upset that playing a team optimised for damage output isn't the perfect solution for every problem.

Tell me how do you negate a 1700+ AoE Caltrops with Spidey or Cage? If I had 5 in black I would use Xpool, but I have it at 4 and it doesn't do enough damage to stop them (maybe one day I will have enough iso to max him icon_e_sad.gif )

Caltrops are OP, they need to nerf them. 3 caltrops for just 7 Ap when devs have the bad habit of putting two together is too much, at 350 level they fill the board really fast and they are unstoppable

Well if your opponent is that high a level you probably have a more decent roster so prof X / Beast / Falcon will get it done for you instead. But I didn't expect the average player to have that lineup usable.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    This. Caltrops just went from being my most hated power in the game to one I like to face because it's essentially a worthless move... well, until the next time I see it paired with the Maggia Muscle's "Threaten" power. (Which, btw, gets my vote now for most OP ability in the game).

You mean "thanks for the free strike tiles?"

I don't mind Muscle, because I know I can yoink the strike tiles if I bring a special tile stealer. Elektra, Shulk, Moonstone, Ant-Man, heck, even Loki make Muscle a friend instead of an enemy.

As far as caltrops go, protect tiles are usually my solution. Thing, Squirrel Girl, Spidey, etc. depending on the enemy line-up. At the higher levels, you can bring in tile theft to steal Kishu's purple protect tiles too. As others have said, special tiles to overwrite traps works. For that MoStorm, Carnage (with a good protect tile maker or a big true healing tank), OML, and others are all going to allow you some safety from the random damage.

Alternatively, I bring in a few true healers and just down Kishu's first. I have a 6 cover OML, 9 cover Surfer, 3 cover phoenix, 13 cover XFW, 13 cover 4Pool... any combination of triple healing will work. OML and XFW are unavailable until Wolverine comes back in EotS, but they work great once he's back in the line-up.

AP denial works too. I think Hood is boosted, so you can slow the AP generation down and limit the multi-casts of the Caltrops. Ice is boosted too, so stunning the Kishu before they can spam works.

There are different strategies for dealing with caltrops for pretty much every level of play. I don't see them as a big deal except for those who refuse to adjust their standard line-ups, and I never really have. Even a fast heavy-hitting damage team that can clear the Kishus fast will work for most teams... just don't leave them until last.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If we could use Caltrops with a character, you know they'd nerf it. Its a health pack eater, which they love!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They could add that ability to Quake, make her board shake disable traps. There has to be a reason she is shuffling the board and they aren't going off despite being moved around... because she's disabled them!?! Please?