New update doesn't work on Nexus 6/Marshmarllow 6.0.1

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    IlyaF wrote:
    That they are at least aware that the latest update makes the game fail to start on Android 6.0.1, that people are locked out of the game. Are you working on it? Any ETA for the fix?

More info here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41318

A dev has responded.
    viewtopic.php?style=1&f=9&t=41318
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Hello everyone,

We believe we have discovered the root cause of this issue. Android 6.0.1 appears to be managing memory differently than other versions of Android and it is causing the crashes for some players. This fix requires a code fix, but in the time being we can apply a work around for you.

If you are experiencing this crash, please write in CS saying that you are experiencing the crash on Android 6.0.1 and we will fix the issue for you.

Hi Anthony,

Any idea how long for a response from CS on this? I have a few irons in the fire between Simulator and Webslinger.

We should be emailing this address right? Mobilesupport@d3p.us

That's the address I used.

Thanks.
  • madsalad
    Awesome, 5+ hour response time for a form template response.

There goes my XFW 1k progression and any hope I had of salvaging Simulator.
  • King_Koopa54326
    King_Koopa54326 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    While loading, in menus, or in a match, my mpq will crash. I used to get a message that there was an unexpected issue with Google play services, but I cleared the Google cache and that resolved the error message. Now the game just crashes without an error message.

Love this game, and i admit I've spent some cash on it, so I'd like to find a way to resolve this. Thanks in advance.
  • CallTheStorm
    CallTheStorm Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Hello everyone,

We believe we have discovered the root cause of this issue. Android 6.0.1 appears to be managing memory differently than other versions of Android and it is causing the crashes for some players. This fix requires a code fix, but in the time being we can apply a work around for you.

If you are experiencing this crash, please write in CS saying that you are experiencing the crash on Android 6.0.1 and we will fix the issue for you.

I followed the instruction to write in CS saying that I am experiencing the crash on Android 6.0.1.
    And Guess What?!

The way they are going to fix the issue for me is to ask me stop playing during the period.

lmao, I knew that way already because as a player that's the only way we know. why not just say it directly here ask us to stop playing instead of asking us to write CS.

what a prank. icon_e_smile.gif)
    Greetings!

We are about to implement the fix for this. We need to ask you to not play from the time of receiving this message until we contact you again.

This should be a very short period of time.

Thanks for Playing Marvel Puzzle Quest!
    Demiurge Studios's Main Tank
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hello everyone,

I followed the instruction to write in CS saying that I am experiencing the crash on Android 6.0.1.
    And Guess What?!

The way they are going to fix the issue for me is to ask me stop playing during the period.

lmao, I knew that way already because as a player that's the only way we know. why not just say it directly here ask us to stop playing instead of asking us to write CS.

what a prank. icon_e_smile.gif)
    Greetings!

We are about to implement the fix for this. We need to ask you to not play from the time of receiving this message until we contact you again.

This should be a very short period of time.

Thanks for Playing Marvel Puzzle Quest!
    Demiurge Studios's Main Tank
    Did they fix it? Here's the response I got:
    Greetings D3 Go! Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience, and are actively working to resolve the issue. Until we have a fix released, we will place your ticket on hold in our queue and will contact you very soon with updates on the situation.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again and it will be a pleasure to help you.

Best Regards,
    D3 Go! Customer Support Team (RBK)
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Do you think customer care actually reads what you write them in an email? Here's my email to them:

"As is the same with many others, my game keeps crashing at the loading screen since the last update. It started to work later that day, but today it's happening again."

Here's there response:

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing crashes, and would be happy to assist you!

Please note that when the game shuts down, any current battles are automatically retreated and your team incurs the consequences of a retreat; damaged health, used boosts, etc.

This damage is an anti-cheat provision in place for when players force-close the app, so that they don't retreat from battles with no penalty. Unfortunately, players who experience a crash are automatically treated the same as players who have force-closed the app because the device reads both crashes and force-closes as a form of restarting the app. Please keep in mind this is not an accusation of cheating, simply an explanation of the provision.

Here are a few things to try in the meantime while we try to narrow down the issue:

- Make sure you have enough space on your device or your SD Card. (Full devices can run slower)
    - Make sure your OS is updated to the most recent version and that you have the most recent version of the game.
    - Restart your device often, especially if you are experiencing lag.
    - Try clearing your cache.

iOS users can clear their cache by going to Settings>Safari>Clear History. Please also make sure to also select "Clear Cookies and Data".

Android users can clear their cache by downloading a cache cleaning program, or by going to Menu>Settings(System Settings)>Application Manager(Apps). From there you can tap each application and select "Force Stop" and then "Clear Cache".

If none of our suggestions helped to resolve this issue, can you please let us know the following:

- Are you playing on wifi and/or 3G/4G?
    - Do you notice anything odd preceding the crash? Sluggish game play, extended load times, etc.
    - How much disc space is available on your device?
    - Is your device otherwise behaving normally?
    - Are you playing on multiple devices with the same account? If so, are you force closing the app on one device before loading it onto the other?
    - Is your device rooted or "jail broken"?
    - Are you running multiple apps/programs in the background? If so, which apps/programs?
    - Your Username, if you have not already provided it.

Many questions can be answered by visiting our helpful Marvel Puzzle Quest FAQ at: http://www.d3go.com/mpq-support/

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again and it will be a pleasure to help you.

Best Regards,
    D3 Go! Customer Support Team (MAS)

Did any part of my email say it was crashing IN GAME? NO!

Second email was this:

"This issue has nothing to do with in game crashing. It has to do with the game not loading like a lot of other Android users since the last update. When you try and open the game the loading screen comes up and then returns you to the home screen. I play on a Nexus 7 tablet that has Android 6.0.1. Now the game will load on my phone which is a HTC M7 running Android 5.0.1"

I wonder what the next email from them will say? My phone has an Android update waiting but I'm not doing it until this issue is fixed.
  • madsalad
    At least you guys are getting humans writing informative emails to you. I've received 3 form template emails from them after each time I've responded to them. I've mentioned Demiurge_Anthony's post in every correspondence and that I was told to write to CS for a work around and each time I get "are you playing on wifi? 3g? 4g?" "Losing health after a crash is an anti-cheat measure". Etc... No one has said a fix is incomng. Nothing. I made it very clear in my emails that I'm on a Nexus 6 and 6.0.1.

I've been tallying all the ISO and other rewards I'm out for the last two days. Chances I'll see compensation?
  • CallTheStorm
    Phaentom wrote:
    Do you think customer care actually reads what you write them in an email? Here's my email to them:

"As is the same with many others, my game keeps crashing at the loading screen since the last update. It started to work later that day, but today it's happening again."

Here's there response:

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing crashes, and would be happy to assist you!

Please note that when the game shuts down, any current battles are automatically retreated and your team incurs the consequences of a retreat; damaged health, used boosts, etc.

This damage is an anti-cheat provision in place for when players force-close the app, so that they don't retreat from battles with no penalty. Unfortunately, players who experience a crash are automatically treated the same as players who have force-closed the app because the device reads both crashes and force-closes as a form of restarting the app. Please keep in mind this is not an accusation of cheating, simply an explanation of the provision.

Here are a few things to try in the meantime while we try to narrow down the issue:

- Make sure you have enough space on your device or your SD Card. (Full devices can run slower)
    - Make sure your OS is updated to the most recent version and that you have the most recent version of the game.
    - Restart your device often, especially if you are experiencing lag.
    - Try clearing your cache.

iOS users can clear their cache by going to Settings>Safari>Clear History. Please also make sure to also select "Clear Cookies and Data".

Android users can clear their cache by downloading a cache cleaning program, or by going to Menu>Settings(System Settings)>Application Manager(Apps). From there you can tap each application and select "Force Stop" and then "Clear Cache".

If none of our suggestions helped to resolve this issue, can you please let us know the following:

- Are you playing on wifi and/or 3G/4G?
    - Do you notice anything odd preceding the crash? Sluggish game play, extended load times, etc.
    - How much disc space is available on your device?
    - Is your device otherwise behaving normally?
    - Are you playing on multiple devices with the same account? If so, are you force closing the app on one device before loading it onto the other?
    - Is your device rooted or "jail broken"?
    - Are you running multiple apps/programs in the background? If so, which apps/programs?
    - Your Username, if you have not already provided it.

Many questions can be answered by visiting our helpful Marvel Puzzle Quest FAQ at: http://www.d3go.com/mpq-support/

Best Regards,
    D3 Go! Customer Support Team (MAS)

Did any part of my email say it was crashing IN GAME? NO!

Second email was this:

"This issue has nothing to do with in game crashing. It has to do with the game not loading like a lot of other Android users since the last update. When you try and open the game the loading screen comes up and then returns you to the home screen. I play on a Nexus 7 tablet that has Android 6.0.1. Now the game will load on my phone which is a HTC M7 running Android 5.0.1"

I wonder what the next email from them will say? My phone has an Android update waiting but I'm not doing it until this issue is fixed.

Lol, the 1st reply was the exactly the same as what I received after I issued the ticket.

And I bet the next one you will receive will be ask you to stop playing during the period.
  • IlyaF
    IlyaF Posts: 47
    I got the email telling me to stop playing until they tell me it's OK, which the email said would be a very short time. 5 hours later, still no follow up email.

However I just tried it and yes it appears they fixed it for me.
  • madsalad
    Well, here we are at Day 3 with almost 0 communication other than template form emails from CS. I could not be any clearer in my emails and I've also referenced Demiurge_Anthony's post in each one so CS knew what I was talking about and to just help me with the workaround that Anthony had referenced.

This is disappointing.
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Still not fixed here yet. No reply from my email to them other then what I posted earlier. ANNOYING!
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Same issue here, but it spans multiple Android OS's. I am having the issue on my Phone (Android 6.0.1) and my tablet (Android 4.2.1) as well.

Submitted a ticket, let's see how long it takes.

When I last played last night, I was in the top 25 in the Simulator. If everyone is having this problem, then I guess I will stay there. If not, that was a several hours wasted over the last 2 days icon_e_sad.gif
  • IlyaF
    I finally got a followup email 16 hours later. This is what they consider a "very short time". Compensation? Hah!
    I am thankful they fixed it, but really disappointed in the quality of both D3 QA (for not catching this bug) and Customer Support. This is not top tier support.

Maybe I was one of the guinea pigs and you all will be fixed today. I filed the ticket very early on.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    IlyaF wrote:
    I finally got a followup email 16 hours later. This is what they consider a "very short time". Compensation? Hah!
    I am thankful they fixed it, but really disappointed in the quality of both D3 QA (for not catching this bug) and Customer Support. This is not top tier support.

Maybe I was one of the guinea pigs and you all will be fixed today. I filed the ticket very early on.

Can you share the fix?
  • madsalad
    IlyaF wrote:

I submitted my ticket at 6:30 am et on Tuesday, March 15.

What was the fix? Did they have to fix something specifically on your account or was it something they told you to do?

and you mention compensation like it won't happen. Were you already shot down?
  • CallTheStorm
    It seems D3 did something on their server end.
    No updates on client but after I saw someone said his issue fixed,
    I found I can run the game on my Nexus 6( 6.0.1) now.
  • IlyaF
    There's no fix that you can do yourself. You have to file a ticket and wait for them to apply the fix on their end.

I didn't ask about compensation but I think it should be obvious that it's warranted. They made no mention of it however.
  • madsalad
    It seems D3 did something on their server end.
    No updates on client but after I saw someone said his issue fixed,
    I found I can run the game on my Nexus 6( 6.0.1) now.

Well, I'll keep trying on my end but so far nothing has changed and I contacted CS over 2 days ago.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaentom wrote:

Here's there response:

OK, that's insane. iOS is a sandboxed OS. There's absolutely no way that MPQ is allowed to read from or write to Safari's cache. Telling users to do this to try to fix an issue with MPQ is no better than burying your phone under the light of full moon and leaving an offering for gnomes to fix it.