Elite Tournament Mar 2 - Mar 3

Options
Starting up. Will add details when it launches, whether it's HP or covers. Nice that it's a shorter one.

Rewards: Same as last one, lots of covers for top finishes, HP/ISO the rest of the way (and heroic tokens).

Comments

• Why always the monday ending? I would think having it end on the weekend would encourage more participation as people who work on Monday probably feel like they have less of a chance to close out the tournament well.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Well, if the first couple elite tourneys were any indication...being stuck in "seed team land" at the highest levels is probably better on a Monday than on a Sunday.

Curious to see how a super short one will work out - I doubt I'll join in since I'm only short psylocke/black panther covers, but we'll have to see what the rewards are.
  • With 1 day ending time could have huge effect in theory. If it ends 5-7 am for you then it complicates things, especially if you have to go to work or school. Also I guess far less safe time during which to jump in points. Does not really matter for me albeit as I still do not have roster for it icon_razz.gif
  • Good luck to all going for the top 3

That's too painful for me, I'm just going to grab a top 100 or so near the end I think
  • If they could give me back my 3800HP (I accidentally pressed spacebar when in Recruit Heroes area icon_rolleyes.gif ), which they probably won't, as I already send 3 tickets for the past 2weeks, I would consider taking part in it.

But as I'm short on HP and good shielding is necessary in this tourney, I'll pass.
  • Well if there are progression rewards and/or some not so sadist finishing times for Europe, I might seriously consider joining. Otherwise, good luck for the partecipants! icon_e_wink.gif
  • So it looks like this has started, 36 hour event, same prizes as normal by the looks (all covers, oodles of iso/hp). Finishes at 5am for me, and I'll be at work tomorrow as well, so can't really justify playing. Again - still haven't even entered one of these. icon_eek.gif

Also, bit of a skank for walkyourpath, that he only gets his name in lights for 36 hours, considering it took 6 days to win the last title. Unless he wins again, of course... icon_twisted.gif
  • I actually want to try one of these but the rewards probably aren't worth the HP burn when I only need a handful of covers now. Especially since you can't sell covers for HP anymore.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What level team should you have to hope to do well in these?
  • 36 hours sounds a bit more tempting, but I need my HP more than ever now due to the cover price sell change. Roster slots ain't cheap.
  • I'll join tomorrow sometime and shoot for whatever the break-even point is on HP without shielding. I've gotten enough of the covers I needed previously to make a top 3 finish not worth the effort. Interestingly, it looks like Doombot is going for it again after getting in the top 3 last week.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    As a player who has played since day 1, I see no reason to enter this tourney, tbh. And there is plenty of reasons why:

1. "Guaranteed Heroic token and 500 iso for all players." Whoop de doo. Playing as long as I have, Heroic tokens have become less valuable. True, there is a small chance of getting a 3* or (ohmygoodness) a 4* character, but the reality is that outside of receiving Heroics tokens for free/a prize, it's just not worth paying an entry fee for the small consolation prize being awarded, at least to the long time player.

2. These unbracketed Elite tourneys have all ended up being shield spam tourneys, which itself becomes a problem. To put that into HP/RM terms, in order to place high, you need to spend on shields, which in turn puts the pressure on the player to place even higher to just break even, IF you can. It's a rather vicious cycle, one that does not reward skill so much as who is capable of the most shields.

3. As it stands right now, another factor that contributes heavily is the inclusion of one character in the team: Spiderman. Yes, this little piece of.... well, let's not continue that line of thought. True, having him on the team will make battles last bit longer, but he can perma stun an entire team, and make it so that your team can go on to the next battle at full health. He has become the **** pin of playing indefinitely. In this instance, it becomes for the betterment of your rank because in combination with reason two, you just grind out a high level of points and then pop a shield once you reach the top 10, then you are in a better position for the next 2-3 hours segment of play.

4. "Top players get every character with every ability." Ummmm, yay? Aside from the ludicrous amount of HP you are rewarded (if you manage to get to those spots) this doesn't seem like a big enough reward to those that have the means and time to snag the top spots. If they have the HP to buy enough shield for shield spam, and a scary enough team to skip on defense, then what point is there in achieving the high ranks? The iso you get for selling them off? Congratulations! You just made it a rich get richer tourney! As for being labeled as the winner from the last elite, I would guess that is a sense of pride type thing, but tbh, I play a game for fun, not a matter of pride.

I tried one Elite, and pretty much told myself never again. There is nothing there actually to incite me, personally, to participate. YMMV, but this is my thought on it.

EDIT: Without selling the cover acquired from Heroic (player needed cover) + the 500 iso with the cost of entry= an approx. $3.50 USD value of in game value for only $3 USD.

If the player ends up selling acquired cover from token, chances are good it was a not needed 2*= 750 iso, which is valued at less than $2 USD through the IA store. Even if the acquired cover is a 3* that still ends up getting sold that comes to a total of 1000 iso gained for 300 HP, which that iso would be valued at $2.50 USD. These figures are using the baseline value of HP and iso of $2 USD purchase in the store.
  • This should be pretty fun with skip tax implemented.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Also, bit of a skank for walkyourpath, that he only gets his name in lights for 36 hours, considering it took 6 days to win the last title. Unless he wins again, of course... icon_twisted.gif

No thank you! Done with this format, although I am glad for everyone else that they backed off of that insane run time. Might play to grind some ISO and try to land a Top 100 if I get the itch. Good luck to all in the running for the top spots! Happy shielding!
  • Hello guys!

Is it possible to get into the top 1000 with 3 maxed 2* Heroes?

As someone who buys the 100HP Heroic token daily, as long as I can get into the top 1000, I can break even.

EDIT: And I don't intend to use Shields during the tourney if I do participate.
  • I must admit, I'm tempted to try this tonight, using a 95 Patch/95 C Mags/60 Spidey (5 Blue), just to see how high I can get. I would never expect to get too high, but a top 100 finish would easily be worth the HP I'd pay on entry fees and one lot of shields. My main worry is that even though I know I could run through most teams quite quickly, I'm sure I'd look like a tasty treat to most of the other teams I'd face.
  • As people join, could they possibly post where they're ranked so we can get an idea of how big the pool is? Since I suspect the pool for this will shrink over time (as in from event to event), I might actually join in the future when it's small enough for me to get a return on my investment.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    As people join, could they possibly post where they're ranked so we can get an idea of how big the pool is? Since I suspect the pool for this will shrink over time (as in from event to event), I might actually join in the future when it's small enough for me to get a return on my investment.

I think I was somewhere near ~3500 after completing my first match today. Literally at exactly #100 right now with 362. Seems like a much lighter event overall. Things will pick up later, and there's not much separation at the top, but so far it doesn't look too hard to recoup entry fees.
  • Yeah I might join after work and make a run to 100.
  • I joined a couple hours ago and without much effort I'm sitting in #12 with #3&5 Q'd up for 40+ each. Took about what would have been 150 in losses with 10 minutes after shielding. I'm hoping for an easy top 30 or hopefully a top 10.